PDA

View Full Version : My 1 Reds Move

Redsnake
12-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Mets and RedSox are discussing one bad contract for another. Dice-K ($18.5M)for Beltran ($20M).

My crazy off the wall idea:
Mets get: F.Cordero, Bailey and Dorn.

Reds get: Beltran + $4M

The Mets get a starter that will compete for a spot in their rotation, a closer and a decent AAA bat.

Reds finally get the LF middle of the lineup hitter. Reds only pay a difference of $3.5M in salary.
Reds clear room in the rotation that will look like this.
Arroyo, Cueto, Wood, Leake, Volquez and start the Chapman for closer experiment.

:rolleyes:

Vottomatic
12-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Mets and RedSox are discussing one bad contract for another. Dice-K ($18.5M)for Beltran ($20M).

My crazy off the wall idea:
Mets get: F.Cordero, Bailey and Dorn.

Reds get: Beltran + $4M

The Mets get a starter that will compete for a spot in their rotation, a closer and a decent AAA bat.

Reds finally get the LF middle of the lineup hitter. Reds only pay a difference of $3.5M in salary.
Reds clear room in the rotation that will look like this.
Arroyo, Cueto, Wood, Leake, Volquez and start the Chapman for closer experiment.

:rolleyes:

I've been clamoring for Beltran. But you have to realize that Cordero and Beltran both are free agents after next season. So the risk is low in taking on either of them for both teams since they will be gone after one year.

For the Reds, they lose a solid major league pitcher in Bailey. I like Dorn and wonder why he's never been given a chance. In fact, I thought he might actually fill Nix's shoes this year as our LHed OFer/backup 1Bman/LH pinch hitter. He's done nothing but hit well in the minors without getting a chance in the majors. Maybe he's a 4A player, who knows.

I realize to get the Mets to the table, we will need to entice them with a top prospect or proven major leaguer. But in the end, all the Reds get is 1 year of a past-injured Beltran, who has not shown he has returned to form. The positive could be that he is in a contract year. I liken it to Beltre who was in a contract year with the BoSox after several disappointing years, and more than earned his pay. Maybe Beltran does the same. He really can't afford to be injured, so hopefully he's motivated to get in shape this offseason and come back with a big season. He's a switch hitter with 25 HR power and 20 SB ability, and a decent OF arm when healthy. Career .280 hitter. Gotta wonder what hitting in GABP would do to his stats? Hmmm. If healthy, I think Beltran could be a huge help to this offense. But health is the big question.

I'm for taking on the risk if the Mets send some $$$ back our way.

DocRed
12-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I would do any trade that involves getting rid of Coco.

12-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Good idea, but I agree with Vottomatic. No need to include anyone as good as Bailey in this deal. The Mets will be glad to give up Beltran for Cordero and send the Reds the difference in pay. Maybe the Reds would have to send a Dorn like prospect the Mets way, but that is it.

Beltran has lots of question marks, and could be an even bigger bust for the money than Cordero next season. But he does fill a need for the Reds better than Cordero.

brm7675
12-08-2010, 04:06 PM
No, he is done, his best years are behind him and is way over paid and has to many health issues...not interested...