PDA

View Full Version : Walt's leadoff hitter is available now

Brutus
12-09-2010, 01:08 AM
With Crawford in Boston, there's no reason not to go get Ellsbury.

He's the ideal player for Walt's philosophy. Leadoff hitter and good defensive player with a capable bat.

Not much would fall in the GABP outfield with Ellsbury-Stubbs-Bruce out there.

Ron Madden
12-09-2010, 03:15 AM

He's the ideal player for Walt's philosophy. Leadoff hitter and good defensive player with a capable bat.

I could live with that. :thumbup:

thatcoolguy_22
12-09-2010, 03:17 AM

I am a fan of this. With the ageless Mike Cameron roaming CF it might not take nearly s much as many of us were speculating. Maybe a Bray and mid level prospect. Who knows :dunno:

EDIT: Would there be a better defensive OF in the Majors? I don't think so. I just looked around the league and I just realized how huge Bruce's glove was this year. WOW. Health will be a concern with Ellsbury, but I risk it and work out a deal with BOS (obviously nothing crazy)

buckeyenut
12-09-2010, 06:00 AM
I can live with the health risk for LF if I have Heisey/Gomes on the bench or even if I have Nix, having dealt one of the above. We have kids to help cover us as well. I think this is worth a roll of the dice, especially if we can get him on the cheap by covering all of his $$

lollipopcurve
12-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Don't lose sight of Brett Gardner. If the Yanks don't get Lee, they'll be desperate for pitching. Rumors of the Reds' interest in Gardner go back to last offseason. Gritty player that Cincy fans love.

edabbs44
12-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Some call it irresponsible, others call it being patient.

Maybe Cincy is targeting Ellsbury, maybe Gardner, maybe neither. But if Cincy jumps the gun and acquires the first guy resembling a leadoff hitter, this discussion isn't even happening.

Ghosts of 1990
12-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Bringing in astronomical Elsbury might waste some money needed to keep the young nucleus together. If you look at his numbers the production isn't all that great for what we would have to pay him.

RedEye
12-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I know he was in the doghouse last year, but is Ellsbury really that available? I thought perhaps Theo had visions of Ellsbury-Cameron-Crawford dancing in his head for the holidays...

edabbs44
12-09-2010, 09:50 AM
I know he was in the doghouse last year, but is Ellsbury really that available? I thought perhaps Theo had visions of Ellsbury-Cameron-Crawford dancing in his head for the holidays...

With JD Drew making $14MM as a 4th OFer?

blumj
12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah, sorry, I think the idea of having Crawford and Ellsbury in the same OF and lineup is way too much fun to give up easily, especially with both Drew and Cameron with large platoon splits and old with health issues. It's also frankly an absurdly expensive OF to want to trade away the only cheap guy in it.

blumj
12-09-2010, 09:59 AM
With JD Drew making $14MM as a 4th OFer?
It's the Red Sox, they paid Lowell $12M just to hang around until Youkilis got hurt last year and paid Lugo $9M just to mess up the Orioles IF. But Cameron's the one who just had major surgery and is pushing 40.

GoReds
12-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Wonder if Boston would consider a Drew for Cordero swap? I know there was talk of Paplebon moving to the rotation and Cordero could be a good setup man for Bard or vice versa.

How long is Drew's contract?

Jpup
12-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Wonder if Boston would consider a Drew for Cordero swap? I know there was talk of Paplebon moving to the rotation and Cordero could be a good setup man for Bard or vice versa.

I think he and Cameron are both off the books after 2011.

camisadelgolf
12-09-2010, 10:11 AM

He gets paid $14MM through 2011, and then he becomes a free agent.

camisadelgolf
12-09-2010, 10:12 AM
I think he and Cameron are both off the books after 2011.
Yup. Cameron is owed $7.25MM in 2011 before becoming a free agent.

RedsManRick
12-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Drew is a very good defensive OF in his own right.

klw
12-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Instead of targeting Elllsbury, Cameron might make a more available target. short money, good vet. Lower prospect cost and get Boston to through in $ or take Coco.

Heath
12-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Drew is a very good defensive OF in his own right.

....when he's healthy.

Boy, is it me, or is Boston always have regular players on the DL like all the time? Does anyone up there play 140-150 games?

camisadelgolf
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
....when he's healthy.

Boy, is it me, or is Boston always have regular players on the DL like all the time? Does anyone up there play 140-150 games?
Drew might not be hurt as often as you think. I believe the heavy media coverage in Boston influences our view of that.

Sure, he's known for his bouts with injury, but it hasn't stopped him from averaging 134 games per season over the past five years. Amongst the 26 outfielders to do that, almost all of them have done it at a younger age, and only 6 of the 26 have a better OPS+ (Holliday, Dunn, Guerrero, Ordonez, Ethier, and Bay).

Dan
12-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Assuming a matchup is made between the Reds and Red Sox for Ellsbury, what would it take to include Lowrie as well?

Ellsbury
Lowrie
Phillips
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Stubbs
Hernandez

would make a good lineup, don't you think?
Bruce

Benihana
12-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Interestingly, I haven't seen a single suggestion for what the Reds could offer the Sox. Would a team like the Red Sox be willing to trade a starter for prospects? I don't know if I can see that happening.

lollipopcurve
12-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Interestingly, I haven't seen a single suggestion for what the Reds could offer the Sox. Would a team like the Red Sox be willing to trade a starter for prospects? I don't know if I can see that happening.

They may feel they need more catching (especially if they don't sign Martin), pitching depth and perhaps a DH type to replace Ortiz in 2012. (Alonso is the kind of inside-out LH hitter who could thrive in Fenway.)

For sure, the Sox would like to dump Scutaro on the Reds, if not Ellsbury.

Dan
12-09-2010, 12:23 PM
They may feel they need more catching (especially if they don't sign Martin), pitching depth and perhaps a DH type to replace Ortiz in 2012. (Alonso is the kind of inside-out LH hitter who could thrive in Fenway.)

For sure, the Sox would like to dump Scutaro on the Reds, if not Ellsbury.

No way I give up Alonso for Scutaro. Maybe for Lowrie.

Mario-Rijo
12-09-2010, 12:26 PM

They would like bullpen help and I figured since Burton is/has been on the outs and will get a raise he might be a likely swap candidate. I think he will bounce back nicely and I think we may end up needing him but the bully is somewhat deep and we could afford to deal an arm or 2 from it.

Blitz Dorsey
12-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I thought the same thing when I heard Crawford signed with the Red Sox.

Alonso-for-Ellsbury? I'd be in favor of it. They probably want pitching though, not a backup 1B/DH.

RANDY IN INDY
12-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Seriously doubt the Sox will trade Ellsbury when his value may be low. They really look good on paper as a team and personally, I think they hang on to Ellsbury.

Edd Roush
12-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Would a Phillips for Ellsbury and Scutaro trade be possible? Move Scutaro to second and have Janish play short?

Ellsbury
Scutaro
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Stubbs
Catcher
Janish
Pitcher

???

Benihana
12-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Would a Phillips for Ellsbury and Scutaro trade be possible? Move Scutaro to second and have Janish play short?

Ellsbury
Scutaro
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Stubbs
Catcher
Janish
Pitcher

???

Why would the Sox want Phillips when they have Dustin Pedroia?

camisadelgolf
12-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Ellsbury
Scutaro
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Stubbs
Catcher
Janish
Pitcher

???
I like that deal for the Reds, but the Sox may believe that they could get something more if they deal each player separately. Another thing to note is that there are a lot of quality second basemen due to become free agents after next season (Dan Uggla, Mark Ellis, Omar Infante, Kelly Johnson, Rickie Weeks), although I'm sure a few of them will be locked up by then.

Edd Roush
12-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Why would the Sox want Phillips when they have Dustin Pedroia?

I guess that's a good point. If Phillips won't play short here, I doubt he would play it in Boston. I wonder if Theo Epstein would give either Pedroia or Phillips a shot at short. I was just trying to figure a trade that would work for both teams. Would they have any interest in Hanigan or Hernandez? Would we want to trade either?

Red Leader
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
I believe what the Red Sox need is a righty power bat and left handed relievers. Depending on what they decide to do with Papelbon, they might consider looking at a closer as well.

I don't think we have the "perfect match" for them to make a deal for Ellsbury.

Brutus
12-09-2010, 01:58 PM
I believe what the Red Sox need is a righty power bat and left handed relievers. Depending on what they decide to do with Papelbon, they might consider looking at a closer as well.

I don't think we have the "perfect match" for them to make a deal for Ellsbury.

That's why God invented 3-team trades :)

Red Leader
12-09-2010, 02:00 PM
That's why God invented 3-team trades :)

:)

Point taken. I could see a 3 team trade being an option because, unlike in year's past, the Reds do have some players that could be moved that other teams likely have interest in.

Benihana
12-09-2010, 02:35 PM
The Red Sox are one of the few teams I just don't see us matching up with.

They have very few holes, and the ones they do have would need to be filled with a major big league player, something the Reds can ill-afford to give up.

The only possible solution would be trading Hanigan for Ellsbury, but I'm not sure how much better that makes the Reds.

TheNext44
12-09-2010, 02:42 PM
The Red Sox are one of the few teams I just don't see us matching up with.

They have very few holes, and the ones they do have would need to be filled with a major big league player, something the Reds can ill-afford to give up.

The only possible solution would be trading Hanigan for Ellsbury, but I'm not sure how much better that makes the Reds.

I would do that trade, especially since Hanigan likely gets traded after this season when be gets expensive and either Mesoraco or Grandal will be ready to start. I also think Hanigan is due for a big decline in offensive numbers in 2011.

Will M
12-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Ellsbury is a neutral defender in CF for his career & has a career OPS of 749.
Sounds like a center fielder to me. IMO it seems a little odd that everyone is so pumped to try to get him to play LF for the Reds. I'd prefer a thumper in LF.

Then again Walt is in charge & has said many times that he wants a leadoff hitter. Since only SS & LF are open spots the Reds choices are limited. If money wasn't an issue we could get a SS who could get on base & a LF with some power (or at least a LH power bat to pair with Gomes).

Somebody brought up J.D. Drew. If I were the Sox I'd keep him & try to move either Cameron or Ellsbury. Or with the injury histories of these guys I'd platoon these two guys in CF. That way I'd have depth when one of them or Drew goes down.

I(heart)Freel
12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Ellsbury is a neutral defender in CF for his career & has a career OPS of 749.
Sounds like a center fielder to me. IMO it seems a little odd that everyone is so pumped to try to get him to play LF for the Reds. I'd prefer a thumper in LF.

Then again Walt is in charge & has said many times that he wants a leadoff hitter. Since only SS & LF are open spots the Reds choices are limited. If money wasn't an issue we could get a SS who could get on base & a LF with some power (or at least a LH power bat to pair with Gomes).

Somebody brought up J.D. Drew. If I were the Sox I'd keep him & try to move either Cameron or Ellsbury. Or with the injury histories of these guys I'd platoon these two guys in CF. That way I'd have depth when one of them or Drew goes down.

The thought behind wanting a left-fielder who can lead off is to preserve Stubbs as a thumper who plays center field. I think the Reds would rather Stubbs continue his long swings further down the lineup than to turn him into a lead off hitter.

I(heart)Freel
12-09-2010, 04:49 PM
From MLB Trade Rumors...

The Red Sox have already gotten inquiries on outfielder Mike Cameron, tweets ESPN's Jayson Stark. The team plans to keep him but is willing to listen. Cameron will have to take on a part-time role with Carl Crawford, Jacoby Ellsbury, and J.D. Drew filling Boston's outfield.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/jeter-cameron-rich-hill.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter