PDA

View Full Version : Soapbox time: agent speak

Brutus
12-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Scouring the new Cliff Lee article, where it has been reported the Yankees have now offered 7 years and $140 million, I came across the bit that the Rangers have asked Lee's agent what it would take to sign him.

Seems harmless, right?

Darek Braundecker, apparently, was somewhat offended. Lee's agent had this to say:

"We have no interest in participating in the unconventional negotiating style the club has requested," Braunecker told ESPN.com. "For the player to submit an offer to the club ... that's not the way the process works."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5902103

God forbid a club simply wants to know an amount it takes to sign a player. "Unconventional negotiating style?" Since when is it unconventional for one half of the parties involved in a negotiation to want to get to a bottom line number? Good grief. This guy has lost touch with reality--that a service contract is a two-way street.

I understand it's better for his client if he stays mum on such a question, and instead lets clubs continually go through the bidding process. Make no mistake, I don't blame him for not wanting to answer the question. However, I wish he'd get off the high horse about what constitutes a a conventional negotiating tactic.

Lest I be clear, from the player's standpoint, I can understand not wanting to put a number on the finality. After all, if they float a number that Texas agrees to, not only does it end the bidding, but then they have to be prepared to accept the offer since they acknowledged it would get the job done. But don't get offended by the fact they simply wanted a number.

</end soapbox>

The Voice of IH
12-09-2010, 03:42 PM
after getting my communications degree I may go into law and become a sports agent, I can be a selfish cut throat jerk with the best of them!

RedsManRick
12-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately you can't separate the strategy from the tactic in this case. Being on one's high horse is part of the process. Posturing is all part of the game.

MattyHo4Life
12-09-2010, 03:47 PM
The agent should have said "$35Mil per year for 10 years with a complete no trade clause will get the job done." lol I bet they would never ask that question again. lol

jojo
12-09-2010, 03:49 PM
The agent should have said "$35Mil per year for 10 years with a no complete no trade clause will get the job done." lol I bet they would never ask that question again. lol

Bet it would've generated a thread complaining about greedy agents though! :p:

kaldaniels
12-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately you can't separate the strategy from the tactic in this case. Being on one's high horse is part of the process. Posturing is all part of the game.

Yep, the word of this thread is "posture".

camisadelgolf
12-09-2010, 03:59 PM
after getting my communications degree I may go into law and become a sports agent, I can be a selfish cut throat jerk with the best of them!
How would the degree and sports agent gig make things any different?
;)

Brutus
12-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Sure you can.

You can posture by saying, "we're not at a point we can put a number on it."

Same affect. Just a little less snippy. It's not really the message that I despise, it's how the message was delivered.

GADawg
12-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Darak Braundecker's first dream was to have Cliff Lee traded to the Phillies...his 2nd dream was to cash big Yankee checks

agents AND player soundbites have been driving me crazy more so than usual this off-season