PDA

View Full Version : Reds Extend Jay Bruce 6yrs/$51 million

JayBruceFan
12-09-2010, 11:45 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/reds-extend-jay-bruce.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

JayBruceFan
12-09-2010, 11:46 PM
The deal, which will keep Bruce in Cincinnati through at least 2016, includes a $12MM option for a seventh year.

JayBruceFan
12-09-2010, 11:46 PM
http://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/13090282983653376

FlyerFanatic
12-09-2010, 11:47 PM
NICE! now get votto

webbbj
12-10-2010, 12:04 AM
NICE! now get votto

question about votto. if he waits till hes a FA in 3 years to sign will he just be making like $600K a year the next 3 years?

FlyerFanatic
12-10-2010, 12:05 AM
question about votto. if he waits till hes a FA in 3 years to sign will he just be making like $600K a year the next 3 years?

isnt he eligible for arbitration this year? he'll be making more than that...not money he'll make if we lock him up, but prob a couple mill.

scott91575
12-10-2010, 12:07 AM
isnt he eligible for arbitration this year? he'll be making more than that...not money he'll make if we lock him up, but prob a couple mill.

Couple of million? He is going to get at least $7 million this year, and by his 3rd arbitration year will be well over $10 million (assuming he doesn't get injured or his production slips a ton).

edit: Although you probably won't see it reach that. If not a long term deal, he will probably sign a 3 year deal or 2 next year.

BTW...I really like the Bruce deal.

davereds24
12-10-2010, 12:22 AM
what a steal

arkimadee
12-10-2010, 12:30 AM
For the type of defense we get out of him in Right Field and the potential bat he brings, this is a steal. He has his ups and downs and the plate but I think this contract will relax him more at the plate where he's not stressing so much when he slumps. It can do nothing but help.

Hondo
12-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Wow, a 7 year deal for our Right Fielder!

Awesome!!!!

Hey guys I bet Jay Bruce out performs Washington's new 126 Million Dollar Right Fielder over the Next 7 years....

Ok, I know there is an age differance here... But still... almost 1/3 of the cost....

Lets Hope Jay Bruce is the Reds George Brett/Cal Ripken

mroby85
12-10-2010, 01:29 AM
I like this move a lot, just hoping they can lock Votto up for a long time now!

Thats a great comparison with Werth, i'll bet you're right about Bruce outperforming him. It befuddles me that a guy who has never driven in over 100 runs in a season at the age of 31 gets a deal like Werth did with Washington, terrible signing by them.. and I even think Werth is a solid player, they just overpaid big time for him.

Vottomatic
12-10-2010, 01:49 AM
I think it's a steal. Bruce seems like Votto-lite, where he continues to do what is necessary to improve.

Razzle
12-10-2010, 02:19 AM
That's a steal if Jay Bruce doesn't improve at all and continues to post 2010ish (which were very good) numbers for the duration of it. If he improves, which is likely, that's highway robbery.

13 in hall
12-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Something tells me that Joey will sign something long term, He and Jay are said to be best friends and you know they must talk. I don't think Jay would have made such a long term commitment without know what Joey would do. Maybe nothing, maybe something?
Just my opinion.

scott91575
12-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Something tells me that Joey will sign something long term, He and Jay are said to be best friends and you know they must talk. I don't think Jay would have made such a long term commitment without know what Joey would do. Maybe nothing, maybe something?
Just my opinion.

I don't know, after hearing Joey's quotes he is going to take a huge deal. He is in a much different position than Bruce. He is older, and just won the MVP. Here are recent quotes....

“I don’t know as far as beyond three years. I think it’s a real unfair question to ask,” Votto said. “This is not me saying I don’t want to be here. But last year was a difficult year for me. This year was a better year for me. It’s really hard for me to think three years ahead, five years ahead, seven years ahead or 10 years ahead. When [Troy] Tulowitzki signed that 10-year contract [with the Rockies], I was blown away. I can’t imagine seeing myself 10 years from now saying I want to be here. It’s an overwhelming thing to ask a young person like myself and say ‘here’s a lot of money. Be happy with this over 10 years, deal with it.’”

"I’m not going to disrespect the people ahead of me that paved the way for those types of earnings and the people behind me that expect a certain amount or fair value,” he said. “I don’t want to hurt the people behind me. That’s not fair."

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/04/joey-votto-in-no-rush-for-a-long-term-contract/

With some of the recent signing, it might be better for the Reds to wait. Votto's value may not be any higher, he certainly knows his worth, and doesn't even seem to be big on the whole "security of a big time contract" angle (it appears the exact opposite). He doesn't seem likely to give a home team discount, and really seems to be looking at maxing his money.

Girevik
12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
The deal, which will keep Bruce in Cincinnati through at least 2016, includes a $12MM option for a seventh year.

The way things are going, by 2017 a utility IF who gets 60 AB's is going to be making 12M!

Great signing, but I just hope that this doesn't turn into an ugly situation where in 3 or 4 years Bruce feels he's underpaid and either starts complaining to the media or holding our for a new deal.

mattfeet
12-10-2010, 09:02 AM
What outstanding news to wake up to this morning.

Jack Burton
12-10-2010, 10:57 AM
What outstanding news to wake up to this morning.

Indeed. He seems like a good kid who plays the game the right way. Will be nice to see him in a Reds uni for years to come.

Krawhitham
12-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Joey needs to ask for 14+ million in arbitration

If Bruce is worth 8.5 million a season Joey got to be asking what he is worth

If 8.5 million is what a player putting up Bruce's numbers gets, what happens when you add: 43 points on AVG, 12 HR, 43 RBI, 26 Runs, 33 Walks, 13 Doubles, 11 SB, 71 points on OBP, 107 points on SLG, and 178 points on OPS to those stats?

Reds should have waited to sign Bruce until after Joey's arbitration hearing, they were hopping to get Joey for 7-8 million, they no leg to stand on anymore.

Krawhitham
12-10-2010, 11:05 AM
The way things are going, by 2017 a utility IF who gets 60 AB's is going to be making 12M!

Great signing, but I just hope that this doesn't turn into an ugly situation where in 3 or 4 years Bruce feels he's underpaid and either starts complaining to the media or holding our for a new deal.

Baseball players do not hold out, they have guaranteed contracts unlike football players

davereds24
12-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Joey needs to ask for 14+ million in arbitration

If Bruce is worth 8.5 million a season Joey got to be asking what he is worth

If 8.5 million is what a player putting up Bruce's numbers gets, what happens when you add: 43 points on AVG, 12 HR, 43 RBI, 26 Runs, 33 Walks, 13 Doubles, 11 SB, 71 points on OBP, 107 points on SLG, and 178 points on OPS to those stats?

Reds should have waited to sign Bruce until after Joey's arbitration hearing, they were hopping to get Joey for 7-8 million, they no leg to stand on anymore.

Bruce's contract has no bearing on Votto's arbitration. Also, he isn't making $8.5mil next season.

arkimadee
12-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Remember back in the summer when some people wanted him sent to the minors. People wanted him sent down and Chris Dickerson brought up. Lol. How times have changed.

texasdave
12-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Somewhere GIDP is throwing a party.

Girevik
12-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Baseball players do not hold out, they have guaranteed contracts unlike football players

Tell that to Ricky Henderson (I know, I'm showing my age).

They can still refuse to play until they get a re-worked contract. Garnateed has nothing to do with it.

Caveman Techie
12-10-2010, 01:10 PM
What a great deal for the Reds. This is exactly the kind of move that will help KEEP (that looks good don't it) winning baseball in Cincinnati.

lonewolf371
12-10-2010, 02:15 PM
This deal is absolutely terrific. I might even go out and get a Bruce jersey sometime soon. I think he'll end up slugging like crazy over the next six years, and they'll all be in Cincinnati.:beerme:

Todd Gack
12-10-2010, 02:55 PM
SO for 2012 (estimates)

Rolen: 8 million
Jay: 8 Million
Chapman: 4.7
Bronson: 12 million
Joey: He'll command around 17-20 million
Cueto: In negotiations now:

So am I correct that about 65 million of the payroll will involve 6 players for 2012?

Hondo
12-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Remember back in the summer when some people wanted him sent to the minors. People wanted him sent down and Chris Dickerson brought up. Lol. How times have changed.

Those people aren't even real fans... I remember that too...

Todd Gack
12-10-2010, 03:14 PM

That's kinda the feeling I get. Someone is going to end up losing in this deal. Either the Reds will end up unhappy because Bruce ends up having some of the worst AB's in MLB history, not hitting w/ RISP, and collapsing in crucial times, or Jay will end up feeling like an idiot for believing he could get a better contract if he waited another year to prove himself and get possibly 12 mill. or so a year.

Old NDN
12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
If this is what the Reds have to do to compete, then I'm good with it. But those past LTC gambles with Griffey,Harang, Milton, and even Larkin at the end of his career, keep haunting me.

RedLegsToday
12-10-2010, 03:58 PM

Numbers from Cots:

Rolen: 6.5 million
Jay: unknown, but, I'm guessing it will be less than $8million. The $ will get bigger as that contract goes on
Chapman: 1 Million
Bronson: 12 million (maybe, he has deferred compensation through 2021, so, the yearly hit may be less)
Joey: No way Joey gets 17-20 in arbitration. I'll guess that the Reds end up buying out his arbitration years with a 3 year 30ish million deal.

Todd Gack
12-10-2010, 04:05 PM
If this is what the Reds have to do to compete, then I'm good with it. But those past LTC gambles with Griffey,Harang, Milton, and even Larkin at the end of his career, keep haunting me.

Griffey's contract wasn't foreseen. No one can blame the Reds for him.

Harang was worth his contract at the time, but problem with Harang is that the Reds hadn't seen who pitched as well as he did in quite some time so they figured they should throw a ton of money at the guy thinking he was worth it.

Larkin was an idiot signing no matter how much you believed he should play his entire career in Cincinnati. Only a team like the Yankees or Red Sox can afford to keep guys like that, (JETER), on their roster in the twilight of their careers. It simply can't happen on a small-market club such as Cincinnati.

Milton was even worse. He had good records, but his lowest ERA for a whole year up until that point was 4.32! 4.32!

Todd Gack
12-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Numbers from Cots:

Rolen: 6.5 million
Jay: unknown, but, I'm guessing it will be less than $8million. The $ will get bigger as that contract goes on
Chapman: 1 Million
Bronson: 12 million (maybe, he has deferred compensation through 2021, so, the yearly hit may be less)
Joey: No way Joey gets 17-20 in arbitration. I'll guess that the Reds end up buying out his arbitration years with a 3 year 30ish million deal.

Where are you getting 1 million from Chapman and Rolen for 6.5?
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tj1FG9GPVGFzrJykhM94ogw&output=html

RedLegsToday
12-10-2010, 04:20 PM
cots baseball contracts:

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/cincinnati-reds_24.html

I can't open that spreadsheet.

They have Chapman at

2010: 1m
2011: 1m
2012: 2m
2013: 2m
2014: 3m

His signing bonus money, I believe, is coming out of the minor league budget, and not the major league payroll

RedLegsToday
12-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Rolen shows as 6.5million for 2011 and 2012, but, his signing bonus probably does bring that up to 8million or so.

Todd Gack
12-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Just click on the '2011-2016' negotiations link and that's where I found my numbers. . . same site. I'm just worried about wrapping up the payroll in so few guys.

lonewolf371
12-10-2010, 05:20 PM
SO for 2012 (estimates)

So am I correct that about 65 million of the payroll will involve 6 players for 2012?
That's what teams with small budgets have to do. Pick a few stars to hang your hat on and put players that are locked up in arbitration or pre-arbitration around them.

Hondo
12-10-2010, 05:46 PM
It doesn't matter. This Team should have AT LEAST an 100 Million Dollar Pay Roll... People will fill the seats if they are winning...

If they don't and start off slow. People will not go to the games.

DocRed
12-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Initially I was kinda shocked Bruce got so much...but the more I think about it this is a great signing. One article I read mentioned how his contract is akin to the one Upton just signed. Both players are 23 and when you look at their numbers the 2 players performances are very similar...

2010 Stats
-----------

Bruce WAR 4.3, OPS .846, OBP .353, HR 23, RBI 70
Upton WAR 3.8, OPS .799, OBP .356, HR 17, RBI 69

If anything Bruce's stats are better.

Hondo
12-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Initially I was kinda shocked Bruce got so much...but the more I think about it this is a great signing. One article I read mentioned how his contract is akin to the one Upton just signed. Both players are 23 and when you look at their numbers the 2 players performances are very similar...

2010 Stats
-----------

Bruce WAR 4.3, OPS .846, OBP .353, HR 23, RBI 70
Upton WAR 3.8, OPS .799, OBP .356, HR 17, RBI 69

If anything Bruce's stats are better.

Yeah but if the Reds were shopping Bruce, people on this site would be telling you how little he would bring...

Being that when the Upton trade was being talked about... well, yeah the asking price according to these people was that Justin Upton was a Future Hall of Famer and it would take 4 Impact Baseball of America #1 Players in Baseball to land him plus a Cy Young Award potential winning pitcher.

But Bruce wouldn't bring but maybe Ian Desmond or Marco Scutero to people here...

It's Amazing...

FlyerFanatic
12-10-2010, 05:58 PM
It doesn't matter. This Team should have AT LEAST an 100 Million Dollar Pay Roll... People will fill the seats if they are winning...

If they don't and start off slow. People will not go to the games.

not gonna say 100 mill right now...but eventually its going to have to be bumped. the cards have been at what around 90 mill for the last couple of years? and its been climbing every year, if they sign pujols obviously its gonna go way up. but if castellini would bump the payroll about another say 20 mill from about what was a payroll roughly this year? 77 mill or so? to about 95-97 mill? would be amazing, might allow us to finally get a LF bat.

maybe someday an owner will come along just be like steinbrenner and put us near the top. i imagine we see a salary cap before that happens though. oh and before someone says it i know money doesnt mean winning, but it certainly doesnt hurt :D

mlh1981
12-10-2010, 06:55 PM
We get most of his prime years. :beerme:

mlh1981
12-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Somewhere GIDP is throwing a party.

Whatever happened to that guy anyway?

Haven't seen him around.

lonewolf371
12-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah but if the Reds were shopping Bruce, people on this site would be telling you how little he would bring...

Being that when the Upton trade was being talked about... well, yeah the asking price according to these people was that Justin Upton was a Future Hall of Famer and it would take 4 Impact Baseball of America #1 Players in Baseball to land him plus a Cy Young Award potential winning pitcher.

But Bruce wouldn't bring but maybe Ian Desmond or Marco Scutero to people here...

It's Amazing...
Nah, with this contract Bruce is worth a ton. He's on par with Justin Upton. I'm almost certain he'll perform well-above it. He's only 24 years old and has consecutive 20 HR seasons. I think 30 HR and 90-100 RBI are easily within his range next year, and at that level of production the Reds are getting a massive bargain.

I never said Upton was worth that much, I just said you can't give the DBacks a couple of unproven, mid to high-level minor league prospects and expect to get him. And to be honest, if Bruce is slugging 30 HR and 90-100 RBI for $8 million a year would you trade him away for a couple of guys that haven't done anything in the bigs? For that matter, would you trade him away for anything? I don't think I would. I'd at least want most of the top farm system in the game to let that go.

gedred69
12-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Ha Ha!! I remember this as well, but with great hysterics. My brother was one of those guys, yet he picked "The Game" to come to town hoping it would be the clincher and he could be here to witness. And whatta' ya' know! He was right!!! I was so happy Bruce was the man that night to offer some crow for Dinner...

mattfeet
12-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Nah, with this contract Bruce is worth a ton. He's on par with Justin Upton. I'm almost certain he'll perform well-above it. He's only 24 years old and has consecutive 20 HR seasons. I think 30 HR and 90-100 RBI are easily within his range next year, and at that level of production the Reds are getting a massive bargain.

I never said Upton was worth that much, I just said you can't give the DBacks a couple of unproven, mid to high-level minor league prospects and expect to get him. And to be honest, if Bruce is slugging 30 HR and 90-100 RBI for $8 million a year would you trade him away for a couple of guys that haven't done anything in the bigs? For that matter, would you trade him away for anything? I don't think I would. I'd at least want most of the top farm system in the game to let that go.

He's actually still 23 until April 2011. He's 2 months younger than me. :)

Vottomatic
12-11-2010, 12:18 PM
YouTube - Jay Bruce Clinches NL Central (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_w3p93ovuY&feature=player_embedded)

arkimadee
12-11-2010, 03:27 PM
YouTube - Jay Bruce Clinches NL Central (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_w3p93ovuY&feature=player_embedded)
I can't enough of this clip. 30 years from now when I think back at the year 2010, this will be the number one image in my head!

jwertz
12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Worth every penny. Most guys don't their stride until 27-28. This guy keeps improving and we have ourselves the best overall outfielder in MLB. Guys with his production are getting retarded money on the free agent market, this is a steal. And to top it all of this guy WANTS TO BE HERE!!! Great deal, I'm thrilled.

Kingspoint
12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Has there ever been a 6-year signing (or 4 or 5 year) so agreeable to REDS fans?

I can't think of one.

There were many who wanted nothing to do with the Griffey trade at the time for the very reasons that he proved later to be a bad trade for the REDS.

Congratulations, Walt.

Walt has several of these he has to accomplish over the next few years.

I love the patience of Walt.

Joey would cost twice that much, though. Don't know what the answer to that is going to be. Votto got too good, too fast; and, he probably priced himself out of Cincinnati. We'll probably just have to keep signing him one year at a time and then hope he wants to be here enough to take about 25% less than what he could get on the open market. Just glad I'm not Walt.

Hondo
12-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I like it when they play the theme from the "Natural" for Bruce...

Kingspoint
12-11-2010, 06:30 PM
In a separate post:

Congratulations, Jay!

Love having you aboard for six more years. It's going to be a lot of fun, just as it was this year.

Kingspoint
12-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't know, after hearing Joey's quotes he is going to take a huge deal. He is in a much different position than Bruce. He is older, and just won the MVP.

Unfortunately, it's a business. Joey would be stupid to take anything less than $20M per year for any long-term contract. When he becomes a Free Agent, he could get $25M per season for 7 years. There are plenty of clubs who will dish out that kind of money for this guy. He's done nothing but hit the ground running towards SuperStardom ever since he got his first Major League at-bat.

A "great deal" for the REDS would be a 6-year, $108M contract. But, I just can't see the REDS being able to cover economically $18M per season, not with the disastrous turnout they had at the turnstiles for a Division Winner last season. REDS have shown themselve to not be willing to speak that they can support a high-paying club through attendance.

The REDS could risk one more year of arbitration on Votto and then see what attendance is like. If the REDS could hit some real good numbers....like a 20+% increase in attendance over last season, then they might be willing to go 5-year, $20M next season on Votto, assuming Votto puts up another great season that this time gets him in the Top-10 in MVP balloting. They'd probably try, of course for $15M per season, but his arb numbers would be about $12M anyway for 2012, so there's no way he'd take 5 years @ $15M/season. The best I think the REDS could do would be 5 years @ $18M after this season of going with arb numbers.