PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: Smaller Teams Feed Green Monsters

redsmetz
12-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Interesting article in the Times. Not surprising, almost "dog bites man" in the story, but I thought it might be a good jumping point for the need of clubs like the Rays, like us, etc. to get creative, get home-grown and try to make the most of it. That's not to say they can't entice players, but smaller clubs have to stay on their toes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/10/sports/baseball/10kepner.html?_r=1&ref=sports

westofyou
12-10-2010, 12:27 PM
The Rays are the St Louis Browns of the 40's, they have some talent, they have no money... they lose loved home grown talent to Boston (Vern Stephens)

Maybe they too will eventually move and be a force for 2 decades?

It ain't working there.

Move them to NYC to suck some energy off that northeast corridor.

Slyder
12-10-2010, 12:33 PM
How about try and cut off all the "big players" Providence Rays ;). Suck fans from the Mets, Yanks, and Red Sox in one fail swoop.

I still see Las Vegas getting a team and baseball realligning a bit before the Yanks/Saux allow any competition to their circle jerk in the northeast.

westofyou
12-10-2010, 12:46 PM
How about try and cut off all the "big players" Providence Rays ;). Suck fans from the Mets, Yanks, and Red Sox in one fail swoop.

I still see Las Vegas getting a team and baseball realligning a bit before the Yanks/Saux allow any competition to their circle jerk in the northeast.

Las Vegas is a bust city at this point, losing people and bleeding money.

Slyder
12-10-2010, 02:00 PM
http://www.suite101.com/content/future-mlb-expansion-a68160

What about the following:
San Antonio, Texas (would be a move into a new footprint area in western Texas)
Reno, Nevada (would it be too close to the bay)
Portland, Oregon

And the fourth this one web article suggested. Do you think Baseball would consider moving back to....

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Would you look at expansion or would you look to move an already established team into these markets?

Who else is having troubles drawing fans besides Tampa?
Would Oakland be a viable mover since the city doesn't seem to want to give anyone (Raiders or A's) a new stadium?
Is Arizona in enough debt?
Minnesota got their new stadium they wanted. The bigger question now is Why in did they not get a roof put on it.

RedsBaron
12-10-2010, 03:31 PM

I'd love to see the Rays become the Brooklyn Robins.

westofyou
12-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I'd love to see the Rays become the Brooklyn Robins.

But the Robins was a nod to the manager at the time, it wouldn't be right now.

BCubb2003
12-10-2010, 07:33 PM
But the Robins was a nod to the manager at the time, it wouldn't be right now.

Brooklyn Madds? I don't know. How about the Superbas?

Moving more teams to the New York market ought to make sense, but I wonder if it would leave the Yankees undented and the Mets even weaker.

bucksfan2
12-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Las Vegas is a bust city at this point, losing people and bleeding money.

The same can be said about the state of Florida as well as California. Your Midwestern, non rust belt towns have fared the best. Anyone want to see a team in Iowa?

I do agree that the time has passed for Vegas to get a MLB team.

Scrap Irony
12-10-2010, 08:13 PM
A third team in New York would be ideal, IMO.

Call 'em the Bums and build a stadium close enough to Yankee stadium to hurt them a bit.

Re-align with New York, Brooklyn, Boston, Toronto, and Baltimore in the AL East.

TRF
12-10-2010, 10:19 PM
you know, with the economy in the toilet the last 3-4 years it was almost unnoticed here in Texas. I still get milk for 2 bucks a gallon.

It won't happen, but a team in San Antonio could work.