PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Wanting To Deal Carlos Quentin

RedLegSuperStar
12-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Could he be a guy you'd try to obtain? White Sox reportedly want a Carlos Lee type hual that they got from Milwalkee. Brew Crew sent Scott Podsednik, Luis Vizcaino, and a player to be named later (Travis Hinton) to the ChiSox.

RedsManRick
12-11-2010, 07:36 PM
I've got no interest. He's a poor defensive LF who has trouble making good contact. I don't think I've ever seen anybody with a career LD% as low as his. He's another Gomes.

PuffyPig
12-12-2010, 03:05 PM
He's Gomes with a bad contract.

Ghosts of 1990
12-13-2010, 12:32 AM
He's a lot better player then Gomes. Gomes had never had MVP numbers. I'd only have concerns over his health but it's a no brainer that he is a better offensive talent then sir Mohawk.

Scrap Irony
12-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Quentin played RF last season. Moving him to LF might give him a bump in his defensive numbers.

Moving to the National League would also likely bump him numbers.

Working toward a contract might also see a bump in numbers.

Add it all up and I could see a team make a good decision in making a deal for him, as long as they don't overpay.

Edd Roush
12-13-2010, 11:49 AM
When I first looked into this, I thought Quentin would be a good left-field option. However, after seeing Rick and Puffy's posts above, I looked further into it and I tend to agree that he will give Gomes-like production (offensively and defensively) for probably triple the price. I mean he gets on base a little more, but he was a butcher in left and right field last year and I think he will likely see around 5 million in arbitration after making 3.2 million last year. I am pretty sure I pass unless the White Sox are just looking for a salary dump and they throw in some money, which is very unlikely.

PuffyPig
12-13-2010, 12:36 PM
He's a lot better player then Gomes. Gomes had never had MVP numbers. I'd only have concerns over his health but it's a no brainer that he is a better offensive talent then sir Mohawk.

Quentin was better in 2008, Gomes has been better in 2009 and 2010.

For $5M, I wouldn't be risking that Quentin recovers after two years of below average WAR play.

I see tham as basically similiar players. one relatively cheap, one relatively expensive. One we already own, one we would have to give up value to obtain.

I think it's a no brainer we pass on him.