PDA

View Full Version : How did you learn of Chapman deal?

Blitz Dorsey
12-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I remember it was early January last year and I was bummed that the Reds had "failed" to do much of anything to improve the club going into the 2010 season. No big pitching acquisitions, no help at shortstop ... Gomes wasn't even re-signed yet. It was looking like a depressing offseason.

However, Jan. 10 I think it was, I opened up RedsZone and there it was. The post informing me that the Reds made the move no one was expecting: They signed Aroldis Chapman. It was the first piece of good news for the Reds in 2010, a year that would prove to be very good to the ball club. Everything just seemed to snowball from there.

So, how did you find out about the Chapman deal?

Redsfan320
12-11-2010, 05:59 PM
how did you find out about the Chapman deal?

I opened up RedsZone and there it was.

OBM broke the news if memory serves me right.

Spitball
12-11-2010, 06:06 PM
I remember it was early January last year and I was bummed that the Reds had "failed" to do much of anything to improve the club going into the 2010 season. No big pitching acquisitions, no help at shortstop ... Gomes wasn't even re-signed yet. It was looking like a depressing offseason.

However, Jan. 10 I think it was, I opened up RedsZone and there it was. The post informing me that the Reds made the move no one was expecting: They signed Aroldis Chapman. It was the first piece of good news for the Reds in 2010, a year that would prove to be very good to the ball club. Everything just seemed to snowball from there.

So, how did you find out about the Chapman deal?

I believe my oldest son texted me, but I don't really remember. It wasn't like when I learned President Kennedy had been shot or Elvis had died...or the Reds had traded for Tom Seaver or Ken Griffey, Jr.. Chapman was big...but not huge.

Superdude
12-11-2010, 06:14 PM
That was a great day. Some dude from ESPN or something was tweeting hints all morning. First he ruled out the American League, then once he narrowed it down to the NL central, we pretty much knew what was about to happen.

Homer Bailey
12-11-2010, 06:18 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2012410&postcount=59

I posted this, then the news blew up about a half hour later.

Brutus
12-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I was watching ESPN. Saw it scroll across the bottom line. Did a double-take and thought it was the Red Sox. After closer inspection, saw it said the Reds. Still didn't believe it so I got online and had to verify it with another print article. Took about 10 minutes before it sunk in.

Blitz Dorsey
12-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I believe my oldest son texted me, but I don't really remember. It wasn't like when I learned President Kennedy had been shot or Elvis had died...or the Reds had traded for Tom Seaver or Ken Griffey, Jr.. Chapman was big...but not huge.

Yet the Chapman signing will end up being bigger than Seaver and much-bigger than Griffey. Both were on the decline when the Reds acquired them, especially Griffey.

Chapman on the other hand is on the way up and is already the hardest-throwing man on the planet. I will always remember where I was when I found out about the Reds signing him (literally out of nowhere from my POV).

Ron Madden
12-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Yet the Chapman signing will end up being bigger than Seaver and much-bigger than Griffey. Both were on the decline when the Reds acquired them, especially Griffey.
Chapman on the other hand is on the way up and is already the hardest-throwing man on the planet. I will always remember where I was when I found out about the Reds signing him (literally out of nowhere from my POV).

I don't agree that Seaver or KGJ were on the decline when the Reds obtained either one of them.

OnBaseMachine
12-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I remember the exact date - Jaunary 10th. I was watching PBA bowling on ESPN and then just happened to log onto Redszone and twitter during a commercial break and saw where Jeff Passan tweeted that Chapman had signed with an unknown team. He eliminated the American League, then narrowed it down to a NL Central team, then broke in with news that completely stunned me: Chapman was on a flight to Cincinnati. I posted every little hint and detail I could find on Redszone. I tried my best to withhold my enthusiasm until it was official but I immediately started running through the house screaming with excitement when I heard Chapman was on a flight to Cincy. When it became official I was so relieved. That was the most excited I had been as a Reds fan since the day the Reds acquired Ken Griffey Jr.

Spitball
12-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Actually, at the time of their acquisitions, both Seaver and Griffey were arguably the biggest names in baseball. Unlike Chapman, they were both accomplished stars with nothing to prove.

Screwball
12-11-2010, 11:38 PM
I actually found out through Facebook. One of my friends' status updates that day was something to the effect of, "Can't believe the Reds signed Chapman". I couldn't believe it either, so I came to RedsZone to confirm. Sure enough, what I had read was true: Chapman was a Red for the next 10 years!

The rest gets a little hazy though, as I may or may not have celebrated the signing a little later on. :all_cohol

Blitz Dorsey
12-11-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't agree that Seaver or KGJ were on the decline when the Reds obtained either one of them.

Well, the facts prove otherwise. They both peaked statistically before reaching the Reds.

Blitz Dorsey
12-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Actually, at the time of their acquisitions, both Seaver and Griffey were arguably the biggest names in baseball. Unlike Chapman, they were both accomplished stars with nothing to prove.

Yeah, I understand that. I was just pointing out we'll likely look back on the Chapman signing as much bigger than either the Griffey or Seaver signings. (In terms of the actual impact it will have to the Reds on the field.)

Spitball
12-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Yeah, I understand that. I was just pointing out we'll likely look back on the Chapman signing as much bigger than either the Griffey or Seaver signings. (In terms of the actual impact it will have to the Reds on the field.)

I know we are all hoping you are right. :thumbup:

Tony Cloninger
12-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Well, the facts prove otherwise. They both peaked statistically before reaching the Reds.

NO one thought they were both on the decline when the Reds acquired them. And after Seaver went 14-3 with them in 1977 and Griffey hit 40 HR while missing almost all of September....no one still thought they were on the decline. Of course in hindsight it is Now. By 1979-80 Seaver did show he was not the same beacuse he started getting injured. He had one terrible month in 1978 in April but the rest of the year he was Seaver.
Griffey was not on a decline to me, he was just full of bad luck and injuries took their toll...no way to predict that at all and no way he declines if he is not injured.

Blitz Dorsey
12-12-2010, 10:35 AM
NO one thought they were both on the decline when the Reds acquired them. And after Seaver went 14-3 with them in 1977 and Griffey hit 40 HR while missing almost all of September....no one still thought they were on the decline. Of course in hindsight it is Now. By 1979-80 Seaver did show he was not the same beacuse he started getting injured. He had one terrible month in 1978 in April but the rest of the year he was Seaver.
Griffey was not on a decline to me, he was just full of bad luck and injuries took their toll...no way to predict that at all and no way he declines if he is not injured.

I'm not saying Reds fans thought Griffey and Seaver were on the decline when the Reds acquired them. I'm saying in retrospect, their careers were absolutely on the decline, especially Griffey's. He was blasting 56 HRs and OPSing over .1000 soon before reaching the Reds. He did have the one 40 HR season his first year, but even that was an off-year for Griffey compared to his peak seasons in Seattle. There is just no arguing against the facts: Even though we didn't know it at the time, Griffey's career was on the decline when the Reds traded for him. (I was as excited as anyone the day Griffey came home.)

We don't know how Chapman's career will turn out yet. But at least we know his career is not on the decline. Therefore, I'm betting we'll look back on Chapman's signing as bigger than either Griffey's or Seaver's (in terms of impact in Ws and Ls).

IslandRed
12-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I was watching ESPN. Saw it scroll across the bottom line. Did a double-take and thought it was the Red Sox.

Similar reaction here -- I was checking ESPN.com on my phone while at my kid's basketball team picture shoot, saw the headline and immediately assumed they messed up and meant Red Sox. Then I read the article and was blown away. That was the second part of a two-part sequence of events (the Rolen trade being the first) that convinced me that, however successful the team may or may not ultimately be, things were about to be different in Reds Country.

Tony Cloninger
12-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm not saying Reds fans thought Griffey and Seaver were on the decline when the Reds acquired them. I'm saying in retrospect, their careers were absolutely on the decline, especially Griffey's. He was blasting 56 HRs and OPSing over .1000 soon before reaching the Reds. He did have the one 40 HR season his first year, but even that was an off-year for Griffey compared to his peak seasons in Seattle. There is just no arguing against the facts: Even though we didn't know it at the time, Griffey's career was on the decline when the Reds traded for him. (I was as excited as anyone the day Griffey came home.)

We don't know how Chapman's career will turn out yet. But at least we know his career is not on the decline. Therefore, I'm betting we'll look back on Chapman's signing as bigger than either Griffey's or Seaver's (in terms of impact in Ws and Ls).

I guess I read it as it was expected that we were getting those 2 on their decline....which obviously since they were getting older that would be the case after a few years.
That 2000 season by Griffey I thought it was more of him learning the league as he really started coming around before Sept. But yes after that forget it....2005 was the only season that I saw what we all expected out of him.

I(heart)Freel
12-12-2010, 03:16 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2012410&postcount=59 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2012410&postcount=59)

I posted this, then the news blew up about a half hour later.

It's highly entertaining to read that thread again and see the blind pessimism that shrouded the team and its offseason on this board last year.

Unassisted
12-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Twitter - from JimDayTV, who I follow from my phone. I used to follow ctrent that way, but he talks about UC and the Bengals too much during the offseason, so I stopped following him wirelessly.

thatcoolguy_22
12-12-2010, 04:34 PM
The same way I learn about 95% of my Reds news, Redszone :thumbup:

Degenerate39
12-12-2010, 06:42 PM
My birthday was January 10th. I came home from work at 4:30 pm and got on my facebook. My friend Tyler said he got me Chapman for my birthday so I got on Redszone as quick as I could and there it was.

Caseyfan21
12-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I remember when it was Twitter'ed that he was on a plane people on here were looking at flights out of Miami to see what NL cities were a possibility for him to board a flight to. Very fun and exciting day.

batsfan
12-12-2010, 11:11 PM
I was out of town and heading home on January 10th. I checked mlbtraderumors on a computer that morning, and saw that a mystery NL Central team was in on Chapman, and I checked again before leaving for the airport, and saw that the mystery team "may be" the Reds! I could not access the internet with the cellphone I had at the time, so I was in suspense while flying home that whole afternoon, wondering if the Reds could possibly have the money to sign Chapman, until I was able to check around 5 or 6 pm.