Reverend Doo-Rag
12-12-2010, 08:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5912547

Krawhitham
12-12-2010, 08:24 PM
They already have Josh & Jack Wilson at SS

foxfire123
12-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Yeah, Go Cardinals! Continue trading away your decent young players for a pitcher who's getting shelled in A ball already. Rest of the Central is loving it. :)

Razzle
12-12-2010, 11:43 PM
This just made more room for Colby to sprawl out by himself in the LaRussa doghouse.

MikeThierry
12-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Fox, the pitcher they got can hit 100 mph on a regular basis. The Cards farm system lacks powerful arms. The guy is still 21 so there is still a lot of upside to him. Besides, with the help of Dave Duncan, lets see what this guy can bring to the table.

Ryan had to go in my opinion. The coaching staff and players were getting tired of his antics.

scott91575
12-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Fox, the pitcher they got can hit 100 mph on a regular basis. The Cards farm system lacks powerful arms. The guy is still 21 so there is still a lot of upside to him. Besides, with the help of Dave Duncan, lets see what this guy can bring to the table.

Ryan had to go in my opinion. The coaching staff and players were getting tired of his antics.

Too bad that eliminates your whole "Theriot brings depth" argument from the other threads. No offense, but you are the ultimate Cardinals homer. Of course I don't need this to prove my point. I will hammer you non stop on the belief that Feliz was a good trade. I could play about as well as Feliz.

The Cards could sign the bones of Babe Ruth, play them in RF, and you would think it was a good idea.

Tell me again how you think that Albert might upset Votto for the MVP.

edit: IIRC, you wanted Schumaker gone, not Ryan. Yet now you are happy with Ryan being gone. Help me out here. I will admit you thought Ryan would be dealt (props there, yet that is not what you wanted, and now suddenly you are happy with it). Yet many of your arguments in the past were not involving him being dealt. Now you are on board with him being dealt for a guy that, unless a huge jump, will in no way help the Cards this year. I will hang up and listen (because this will be classic and it will only add you your Feliz beliefs).

mattfeet
12-13-2010, 08:25 AM
*grabs popcorn*

mlh1981
12-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Carp will have to find a new whipping boy.......

Vottomatic
12-13-2010, 10:51 AM
How is Carpenter going to explain this move to his son? :D

Vottomatic
12-13-2010, 10:52 AM
*grabs popcorn*

Step right up and get your tickets for the main event......

MR. FANTASYLAND VS. MR. CARDS HOMER

I hope they sell nachos too. :p:

mattfeet
12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
LOL - Me too, me too...

MikeThierry
12-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Scott, I'm not going to engage in this Jerry Springeresque argument with you. For some reason you have been on my case since I got here. There is no point debating you. Now, if you can engage me in a more cordial way, I'll answer your questions. However if you are are going to be an arrogant prick about it (like you have in many threads), than I'm not going to bite.

Have a nice day.

Vottomatic
12-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Scott, I'm not going to engage in this Jerry Springeresque argument with you. For some reason you have been on my case since I got here. There is no point debating you. Now, if you can engage me in a more cordial way, I'll answer your questions. However if you are are going to be an arrogant prick about it (like you have in many threads), than I'm not going to bite.

Have a nice day.

We may have a knockout. :D

foxfire123
12-13-2010, 05:47 PM

The Cards farm system lacks EVERYTHING. They traded what they had for Holliday, remember? They traded a major leaguer for a guy who's getting shellacked in single A.... Doesn't matter if he can throw 100mph if he can't aim it. Dumb, dumb move.

Besides, who's to say Duncan will still be there when this kid ever makes it up to the majors? Oh, wait. Maybe they can toss him on ADHD drugs like they did Weaver, that'll straighten him out. *eyeroll*

MikeThierry
12-13-2010, 09:39 PM
The Cards farm system lacks EVERYTHING. They traded what they had for Holliday, remember? They traded a major leaguer for a guy who's getting shellacked in single A.... Doesn't matter if he can throw 100mph if he can't aim it. Dumb, dumb move.

Besides, who's to say Duncan will still be there when this kid ever makes it up to the majors? Oh, wait. Maybe they can toss him on ADHD drugs like they did Weaver, that'll straighten him out. *eyeroll*

Fox, I'm more luke warm about the trade. Obviously the Cardinals have a scouting department so they are seeing more than what we are seeing. The Mariners may have used him wrong. We don't know. From different sources I have read, the Cardinals project him more as a closer/bullpen guy rather than a starter like the Mariners were projecting him. I'm not going to call it a good or bad trade simply because its too early to tell if this pitcher will amount to anything. Just for the fact that it is adding talent to a depleted farm system is reason enough for me not to dislike the trade.

This trade might also signify how much worth other clubs feel towards Brendan Ryan. The Cardinals organization was continually fielding offers from other teams and maybe this is the best offer they received. Again, we aren't in the front office so we don't know.

12-13-2010, 09:53 PM
We may have a knockout. :D

Which would be a shame. Mike has been a nice addition to the SunDeck since he started posting. It's nice to have other points of view.

Hondo
12-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Fox, I'm more luke warm about the trade. Obviously the Cardinals have a scouting department so they are seeing more than what we are seeing. The Mariners may have used him wrong. We don't know. From different sources I have read, the Cardinals project him more as a closer/bullpen guy rather than a starter like the Mariners were projecting him. I'm not going to call it a good or bad trade simply because its too early to tell if this pitcher will amount to anything. Just for the fact that it is adding talent to a depleted farm system is reason enough for me not to dislike the trade.

This trade might also signify how much worth other clubs feel towards Brendan Ryan. The Cardinals organization was continually fielding offers from other teams and maybe this is the best offer they received. Again, we aren't in the front office so we don't know.

Maybe they just made a bad trade. I don't know... We aren't in the front office so maybe we just don't know.

12-13-2010, 10:03 PM

To be honest, you need to see this for what it was, getting rid of someone for personal reasons. Ryan didn't fit in personally with the team, and he wasn't talented enough to overcome that.

The guy they got is 22, in single A, throws hard and can't throw strikes. Every team has half a dozen of these guys. Considering Ryan already had proved that he was a MLB player, that's not a good return. But it's what you would expect a team to get for a player who was no longer welcome.

Vottomatic
12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
It sounds like Chapman-envy to me. :D

Ours is bigger. Hehehe.

Hondo
12-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Wish the Reds would have traded Janish for either of those players... Ryan or A Ball 100Mph Man...

;)

MikeThierry
12-14-2010, 12:51 AM
To be honest, you need to see this for what it was, getting rid of someone for personal reasons. Ryan didn't fit in personally with the team, and he wasn't talented enough to overcome that.

The guy they got is 22, in single A, throws hard and can't throw strikes. Every team has half a dozen of these guys. Considering Ryan already had proved that he was a MLB player, that's not a good return. But it's what you would expect a team to get for a player who was no longer welcome.

You are right. Ryan was kind of a goofball but he isn't a club house cancer. I would compare it to your watching TV and your 6 year old goes to the tv to turn the channel. I think his personality would fit well in Seattle with the young team they are building over there.

scott91575
12-14-2010, 04:47 AM

Have a nice day.

Every single view you have applauds every move the Cards make, even when it goes against your previous beliefs and proven incorrect over time.

You applaud the Feliz trade, and still do even though he was one of the worst players if not the worst player in the majors last year.

You state you could see Pujols winning the MVP. He got 1 first place vote.

You applaud the Theriot trade stating it brings depth and you would like to see Schumaker go, not Ryan.

Now you applaud Ryan being sent out stating it was time to go, even though it eliminates your initial argument for Theriot and how you wanted Schumaker sent out, not Ryan.

You state the Cardinals essentially shut it down last year, and continued to ignore points on their record since May to when they supposedly shut it down.

Your logic only goes one way....anything the Cardinals do is is good. Even when they do things you said you didn't want to happen, you applaud it. Sorry to keep pointing that out. You can act like you are taking the high road all you want, but your logic is often flawed and I point that out. Hate it all you want, or think I am on your case. Yet your logic is constantly flawed due to your overt homerism, and I simply point that out. Not my fault you continue in that same manner. Call me an arrogant prick all you want, that is fine. Doesn't change the validity of my points one bit.

Hey, I think the Cardinals could easily win 90+ games and win the division. Yet it's due to their current nucleus, not the things we have clashed on.

BTW...I take back one thing, you weren't trolling with the Pujols MVP thread. You just can't see past your own bias.

Razzle
12-14-2010, 12:39 PM

I don't think I could say this better. This trade was more to get Brendan off the team than it was to bring in Cleto. I'm sure they scouted to find the best possible return for Ryan, but guys of Ryan's caliber don't have a lot of trade value and have even less when everyone knows they are going to be traded this offseason.

Anyway, I hate the move. I know that Ryan is a marginal player, but when you subscribe to the "Stars and Scrubs" philosophy that the Cards do it's a bad move. We've replaced Ryan with a more expensive marginal player as well while refusing to acknowledge that Schumaker is the player we should be looking to replace.

mckbearcat48
12-14-2010, 05:32 PM
The Cards farm system is a running joke. We all know it, and try to make light of it. The guys at major league level (in some cases) are very good...but 25 men make up a roster.

MikeThierry
12-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Scott, until you can actually engage me without mis-characterizing what I have said in previous post, I'm not going to respond any further. For example, in this post did I in no way applaud this trade. If anything, I said I was luke warm about it. Just because I don't come out blasting this deal like people do in talk radio or on other forums to get attention, doesn't mean I am 100 percent for the trade. Please actually read what someone says for once before you respond with your belligerent posts.

Also, just because someone has a differing opinion doesn't mean you have to be a complete rear about it. So even if I said Albert was going win the MVP (which I never for once said), you don't have to be a blank in responding to that person. If I was trolling, it would be a different situation.