PDA

View Full Version : Reds Discuss Jose Reyes with Mets

RedLakerFan24
12-13-2010, 05:43 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/reds_discuss_jose_reyes_with_mets/3778439

12-13-2010, 05:50 PM
The question is:

How healthy is he?

If he's healthy, he's the best option for the Reds.

I'd trade Bailey, Janish, and Heisey for him in a second.

Vottomatic
12-13-2010, 06:41 PM
IF he's healthy.......he's the tablesetter this team needs. But he has only one year left on his contract, so he's a one and done.

mlh1981
12-13-2010, 06:54 PM
I always felt he was a bit overrated.

His biggest asset is his speed, and when he's hurt, what else does he do? He doesn't hit for power, and he doesn't get on base (.321 OBP last year)

mroby85
12-13-2010, 06:56 PM
I think this would be a great pickup, and a perfect fit. I would really like this move a lot. A legitimate LF/cleanup hitter to protect Votto along with that would make this team a powerhouse.

Hondo
12-13-2010, 07:58 PM
This is the Best Reds News I have seen all Off Season...

This would be a huge upgrade over Janish and we would have a Legit Lead Off Hitter...

I hope this is the Christmas Present for the Reds...

My hopes is it is Bailey, Cozart, and another prospect from #10-#20 in the Farm System...

brm7675
12-13-2010, 08:00 PM
just say NO to the Reyes. His price is to high, he only has 1 season left on the deal and he can not stay healthy. I will take Janish and know I am going to get 150-155 games of good strong D at SS anyday.

DocRed
12-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Interesting...

Brisco
12-13-2010, 08:10 PM
•The Reds and Mets have not discussed a potential Jose Reyes trade, GM Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer (Twitter link).

Asked Jocketty about Reyes rumor. "No, we've had no discussions." #Reds
about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck
Retweeted by 1 person
.johnfayman
John Fay

Old NDN
12-13-2010, 08:16 PM
•The Reds and Mets have not discussed a potential Jose Reyes trade, GM Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer (Twitter link).

Asked Jocketty about Reyes rumor. "No, we've had no discussions." #Reds
about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck
Retweeted by 1 person
.johnfayman
John Fay

You really think Walt is going to tell Fay IF he's discussing a deal?

UPRedsFan
Good. Reyes is too big a risk for this team's wallet. I wouldn't want to give up Janish's D and really don't want to lose Bailey - I think he's on the cusp of turning in a big year. Not worth a 95 game injured ss with low OBP

mattfeet
Not interested. Janish could undoubtedly put up similar numbers to Reyes' 2010 for about $10,000,000 less.

-Matt

mroby85
12-13-2010, 08:19 PM
I think people who are counting on Paul Janish to be a productive full time SS are in for a very rude awakening. I just hope he doesn't get the opportunity.

FlyerFanatic
12-13-2010, 08:25 PM
I think people who are counting on Paul Janish to be a productive full time SS are in for a very rude awakening. I just hope he doesn't get the opportunity.

can he be any worse than ocab? doubtful. we all know janish is better defensively.

drew20
12-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I like Reyes but the price is probably too high for only 1 year. Focus on the LF power hitter.

brm7675
12-13-2010, 08:39 PM

i will take his great D and average hitting any day. Pitching and D up the middle is key...

mroby85
12-13-2010, 08:40 PM
can he be any worse than ocab? doubtful. we all know janish is better defensively.

I think he can, and would be. I think Orlando is a better player than he gets credit for on this board. I know he's not popular around here, but I think he brings a lot of things to the table that cant be measured in numbers. He is a solid defender, and is solid at all the small things. If I had to pick between Orlando or Janish over the course of a full season Cabrera would be my choice without hesitation.

mattfeet
12-13-2010, 08:42 PM

Re-read what I said. While he may not be AS productive, I guarantee you Janish's '10 season was more productive per dollar than Reyes'.

-Matt

mattfeet
12-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I think he can, and would be. I think Orlando is a better player than he gets credit for on this board. I know he's not popular around here, but I think he brings a lot of things to the table that cant be measured in numbers. He is a solid defender, and is solid at all the small things. If I had to pick between Orlando or Janish over the course of a full season Cabrera would be my choice without hesitation.

Dusty, that you?

mroby85
12-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Re-read what I said. While he may not be AS productive, I guarantee you Janish's '10 season was more productive per dollar than Reyes'.

-Matt

So you want to pull out one season of stats where Reyes was injured, and Janish played on a full time basis for about 6 weeks when Cabrera was hurt? makes sense. As for the Dusty comment, if you want to pretend there aren't elements that play into a team outside of raw statistics thats fine, but its not accurate. Also, Dusty has won manager of the year awards with the Giants, Cubs, and should have with the Reds this year, losing by 1 vote to Bud Black whose team missed the playoffs. Im not saying I always agree with the decisions Dusty makes, but he's obviously doing something right. (Could also be something like keeping his team together, and still fighting through tough times, and not quitting like the sweep in Cincinnati against St. Louis this year when they fell out of first, but I know those are also intangibles and not pure statistics so they must not have any significance to being a good manager)

AintlifeGrande
12-13-2010, 09:56 PM
just say NO to the Reyes. His price is to high, he only has 1 season left on the deal and he can not stay healthy. I will take Janish and know I am going to get 150-155 games of good strong D at SS anyday.

Your kidding right?The whole premise of getting Reyes is offense,and above average defense.Unless you want Janish leading off and setting the table.And I doubt Walt would bring him here on a one year deal.He would have to work out a contract,and that's why it aint happening.

Hondo
12-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Your kidding right?The whole premise of getting Reyes is offense,and above average defense.Unless you want Janish leading off and setting the table.And I doubt Walt would bring him here on a one year deal.He would have to work out a contract,and that's why it aint happening.

Sometimes people here just want to argue about Janish, Dickerson, and in the past Keppinger and how good they are?????

I agree with you and see that Reyes knocks Lead Off Hitter & SS off the "to do" list...

If Walt does indeed aquire Reyes, it is a very "Walt" move from his years in St. Louis when aquiring McGwire, Edmonds, Kile, Mulder, Clark, Walker to Improve the team... Whether it be off season moves or late season acquisitions...

Lockdwn11
12-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Not interested. Janish could undoubtedly put up similar numbers to Reyes' 2010 for about $10,000,000 less.

-Matt

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/janispa01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/reyesjo01.shtml

I hope you are right because I don't think Reyes will be coming our way but I disagree with you that Janish can be Reyes equal.

Vottomatic
12-13-2010, 11:56 PM
I'd like Reyes.

But I'm fine with a league minimum Paul Janish. For the money, I think Paul will be just fine. Probably at the top of the chart defensively, and somewhere in the middle offensively........not great, but not horrible. :thumbup:

The Reds can't be like the Yankees and have $10-$20 million dollar players at every position.

mroby85
12-14-2010, 12:34 AM
I'd like Reyes.

But I'm fine with a league minimum Paul Janish. For the money, I think Paul will be just fine. Probably at the top of the chart defensively, and somewhere in the middle offensively........not great, but not horrible. :thumbup:

The Reds can't be like the Yankees and have $10-$20 million dollar players at every position.

Are there several 10-20 million dollar players on this team that i'm forgetting? haha

Hondo
12-14-2010, 01:31 AM
I think you are all on something illegal if you actually think Janish will be average at at best offensively...

Dude is classic all glove, No Hit Short Stop...

He is a utility infielder... My Gosh, the same thing was said about Keppinger, and he was a Utility man too~

SidneySlicker
12-14-2010, 11:40 AM
I think you are all on something illegal if you actually think Janish will be average at at best offensively...

He is a utility infielder... My Gosh, the same thing was said about Keppinger, and he was a Utility man too~

Yep totally agree. The question lies in whether or not Reyes is healthy and what it would take to get him, because as has been said he'd be a one year rental.

swaisuc
12-14-2010, 12:14 PM
I think having Paul Janish is one of the reasons TO consider Jose Reyes. If you're going to bring in a guy with his upside and injury risk, you'd better be carrying a backup who can fill in capably at any time and not be a waste of a roster spot in the mean time. I think Janish could fit that perfectly.

DocRed
12-14-2010, 12:58 PM
I like Janish alot and would be totally comfortable with him starting next year. That being said Reyes is a clear upgrade over him. Now, whether or not you would have to pay over market value for him is another story.

brm7675
12-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Nope not kidding, how much offense does an injuried player bring?

brm7675
12-14-2010, 04:03 PM

I would disagree, I think if batted 8th, Janish could easily post basic 8th hole numbers. Plus you don't waste 11+ million and his defense is great. Again why waste the monies when it's not a "need" fill at this point.

mroby85
12-14-2010, 06:14 PM
I would disagree, I think if batted 8th, Janish could easily post basic 8th hole numbers. Plus you don't waste 11+ million and his defense is great. Again why waste the monies when it's not a "need" fill at this point.

To answer your question, I think assuming that SS isn't a "need" is clearly questionable, and wishful thinking. Also, not only are you filling that same position with more speed on the basepaths, you would be filling it with a leadoff hitter and taking a #8 hitter out of the lineup. Adding another table setter to the lineup for Votto. Honestly, there is probably a reason that Jose Reyes makes so much more than Paul Janish, and it's not always a bad thing to spend a little $ to fill a need.

Hondo
12-14-2010, 07:09 PM

Yeah, that is how you win Championships... Make sure your 8th hole hitter fits the 8th hole production...

But really, my point is that Janish is a utility player... He is not an everyday player... I just read where he wore down after making 27 straight starts in August and committed errors in 3 consecutive days near the end...

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b7ArT

Vottomatic
12-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, that is how you win Championships... Make sure your 8th hole hitter fits the 8th hole production...

But really, my point is that Janish is a utility player... He is not an everyday player... I just read where he wore down after making 27 straight starts in August and committed errors in 3 consecutive days near the end...

Every one of our players slumped or had defensive miscues at one time or another. Your comment applies to every player on the team. Heck, Jay Bruce went on a tear with a ton of defensive screw ups in the outfield in the playoffs. Maybe we should platoon him? :rolleyes:

I see no relevance in anything you said. :rolleyes:

DocRed
12-14-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't get the Janish hate. His stats from last year over a full year would be about...

.260BA 15HR 75RBI .338OBP .723OPS

mroby85
12-14-2010, 08:10 PM
I don't get the Janish hate. His stats from last year over a full year would be about...

Johnny Gomes should show you that stats don't project that way. If Paul Janish did this, i'd eat my hat.

Hondo
12-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Every one of our players slumped or had defensive miscues at one time or another. Your comment applies to every player on the team. Heck, Jay Bruce went on a tear with a ton of defensive screw ups in the outfield in the playoffs. Maybe we should platoon him? :rolleyes:

I see no relevance in anything you said. :rolleyes:

Then you're taking my Post out of context with your Bruce comparison...

Read the article I posted. It says durability may be an Issue:

He did show some signs of fatigue that included his committing an error in three straight games in late August.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My point is that he is a utility player, a defensive sub... not an everyday player...

Defend your point.

Lockdwn11
12-14-2010, 11:24 PM

I think it comes from the fact that some posters don't believe he can put up those number over a whole season. I happen to be one of them but I don't think anyone "Hates" Paul Janish on this board. I know I don't. I just think if the Reds can upgrade to Reyes or Drew and the price is right they should do it.

Vottomatic
12-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Then you're taking my Post out of context with your Bruce comparison...

Read the article I posted. It says durability may be an Issue:

He did show some signs of fatigue that included his committing an error in three straight games in late August.

My point is that he is a utility player, a defensive sub... not an everyday player...

Defend your point.

Anyone citing the bleacherreport as a source, needs their head examined.

I can't believe you fall for the crap on that site. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DirtyBaker
12-15-2010, 12:54 AM

Not only that, but his stats haven't leveled off; he's still trending toward better production at the plate. If hit gets his ABs, I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up that kind of year or even exceed it slightly.

Girevik
12-15-2010, 09:47 AM
I was pelasantly surprised by Janish's offense last year. Given the defense he plays and the other bats on the team, I think we'll be okay with him out there at SS on a regular basis. I'd not turn down Reys, but I'd rather have my upgrade in LF than SS (as well as a guy that could step in for Rolen when needed).

Jefferson24
12-15-2010, 09:56 AM
I just think if the Reds can upgrade to Reyes or Drew and the price is right they should do it.

Given the Reds budget, the price of either of those players will never be "right". They will stick with Janish.

Hondo
12-15-2010, 01:51 PM

I can't believe you fall for the crap on that site. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am not leaning on the Bleacher Report. I just posted the article where it said he was fatigued after so many games, but it has nothing to do with it.

He will not be a productive offensive player on a full time basis...

Jeff Keppinger was NOT. Janish is NOT.

I like Janish on the Bench, just not the Starting Short Stop.

:bash:

DocRed
12-15-2010, 01:57 PM
I am not leaning on the Bleacher Report. I just posted the article where it said he was fatigued after so many games, but it has nothing to do with it.

He will not be a productive offensive player on a full time basis...

Jeff Keppinger was NOT. Janish is NOT.

I like Janish on the Bench, just not the Starting Short Stop.

:bash:

Keppinger had a pretty good year last year as a starter. .288 6 59 .351 .393 .744

Hondo
12-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Keppinger had a pretty good year last year as a starter. .288 6 59 .351 .393 .744

Oh well then you're right...

the year before he was .256-7-29 .320 .387 .707

I wonder if the Astros would swap Keppinger for Janish straight up????

:bang:

BEETTLEBUG
12-15-2010, 06:02 PM
I would not trade Janish for Keppinger.

Hondo
12-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I would not trade Janish for Keppinger.

I was mocking the other people in this thread supporting Janish &/or Keppinger...

It was a Joke.

Jr's Boy
12-16-2010, 03:19 PM

Bleacher Report is the TMZ of sports.I follow college football religiously,and that blog is a joke for the most part.Me or anyone can make up a story and post it on there.