PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Reach Agreement With Russell Martin

camisadelgolf
12-14-2010, 10:49 AM
http://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/statuses/14704044228476931

The #Yankees, multiple sources say, have agreed to terms with Russell Martin. May become official later today. More soon at http://MLB.com.

Jpup
12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I like Russell Martin, but I have a feeling that Jorge isn't going to. Posada is still a pretty good player and Martin isn't going to want to sit on the bench. I guess he'll DH some, as will Jorge, but I am not guessing it's going to sit well with the heart of the Yankees team.

redsmetz
12-14-2010, 11:10 AM
I like Russell Martin, but I have a feeling that Jorge isn't going to. Posada is still a pretty good player and Martin isn't going to want to sit on the bench. I guess he'll DH some, as will Jorge, but I am not guessing it's going to sit well with the heart of the Yankees team.

When I started looking at this signing, I was unaware of what the Yankees situation at catcher was. A search showed that Cashman is indicating that Posada will be their DH next season (the final year of his 4 year deal).

Ron Madden
12-14-2010, 11:11 AM

I think they plan on using Posada as DH.

Jpup
12-14-2010, 11:19 AM
I think they plan on using Posada as DH.

Except when he catches. It won't be an easy move.

NJReds
12-14-2010, 11:49 AM
From what I've heard/read, the Yankees intend to try give Montero a chance to win the catching job in spring training. If he does, he'll share time with Martin. Posada won't be behind the dish much in 2011.

Chip R
12-14-2010, 01:25 PM
When was the last year that the Yankees haven't landed a big name either via trade or free agency?

UKFlounder
12-14-2010, 01:44 PM
I thought they talked to Posada at the end of last year and informed him that he would mostly DH this year.

Of course, they like to give A-Rod time at DH too, to give him some rest, so that will not be as easy now, but they'll just have to deal with it, I guess.

NJReds
12-14-2010, 01:48 PM
When was the last year that the Yankees haven't landed a big name either via trade or free agency?

Probably the 2007-2008 offseason. I think ARod opted out and they signed him to another ridiculous contract.

I think they year before they signed Petitte and some Japanese pitcher who was awful.