PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Moments of 2010

Joseph
12-14-2010, 09:03 PM
So much went on in 2010 it could be hard to decide which 10 outshone the rest.

Here a selection of top moments, vote for your favorite 3 and we'll see what stacks up as the overall rank.

Joseph
12-14-2010, 09:25 PM
I had to go with

Bruce's HR. If I were a betting man I'd put money on that winning in a landslide.
The 'fight' because its really seemed to show we weren't afraid of losing anymore. Let's see Chris explain that to his son.
The play at the plate to end the game was my third.

Redsfan320
12-14-2010, 09:29 PM
First off, though it didn't crack my top 3, OCab's walkoff on Cinco de Mayo was against the Mets. I was there.

I voted for:

Jay Bruce's division clinching homer (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12554775)- That kinda tops all pretty easily
Joey Votto's walk off against the Pirates Sept 11 (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11984003)- A great deal because of the fact that George Grande was back broadcasting that game.
The 'fight' with the Cards (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10842801)- Because it was awesome

My next 3:
Gomes walk off against the Cards April 8th (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7336433)- A simply great call by Marty and our 1st W of the season
Heisey to Cabrera to Hernandez, Reds beat Cards on play at the plate (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8049267)- That was just an awesome play to end the game
Travis Woods near perfect game (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9871493)- Edge of my seat the whole way

OnBaseMachine
12-14-2010, 09:34 PM
It's tough to only pick three but I went with Bruce's walk-off HR, Chapman's debut, and the Heisey-to-Cabrera-to-Hernandez throw to end the Civil Rights Game. The Bruce walk-off divison clinching HR is easy. I don't see how any Reds fans can't vote for that. Chapman's debut was electrifying - it was one of the most anticipated debuts in Reds history and he lived up to the hype. Finally, I'm a little biased toward the Heisey/Civil Rights Game because I was there that night and it was an unbelievable ending to what was a great night. I also strongly considered Votto's walk-off HR vs the Pirates because I was also at that game and besides Votto's walk-off, it was also the celebration of Pete Rose's 4192 hit. I also considered Travis Wood's near perfect game. That was arguably the best pitching performance by a Cincinnati Red I've ever seen.

UKFlounder
12-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Bruce's walk off (easily # 1)
Chapman's debut
The fight

My favorite was Cabrera's walk off against the Mets as I was there and it was the first walk-off I ever saw, but team-wise, the 3 I mentioned above all rank above it as does Votto's walk off against Pitt & maybe a couple more

HotCorner
12-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Votto's AB against Broxton in LA. Pure awesome.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11290197

Joseph
12-14-2010, 09:56 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11290197

That was fantastic.

OnBaseMachine
12-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Johnny Cueto's one-hit shutout in Pittsburgh was impressive too.

redsmetz
12-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Bruce's clincher obviously, Chapman's debut and my third was Other: the July 4th game at Wrigley when we hit seven HR's, Drew Stubbs with three of them.

Chip R
12-14-2010, 10:20 PM
The Rally Onion game, of course.

George Anderson
12-14-2010, 11:05 PM
I don't wanna be a Debbie Downer but really what was so great about the Bruce homerun?? It isn't like the Reds were still in a heated playoff race or were in jeopardy of not going to the playoffs. It was kinda a foregone conclusion that they were going it was just a matter of when or how. In fact alot of people on this board were stating beforehand they could care less if the Reds clinched the division by winning outright or if the Cards lost. So now all of a sudden Bruce's HR is an all time great Red moment when hours before people would have been just as satisfied seeing the division clinched by a Card loss??

I mean the HR was a fun and nice thing to see but it reeked of fans of a franchise desperate for something to cheer about.

The whole thing just kinda irked me and I needed to vent. ;)

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Anyone who said they would have been just as happy with a Cards loss is either an emotionless android or is fooling themselves. A walk-off homer is inherently dramatic. In front of the home crowd, even more so. A walk-off homer that clinches a team's first division title in 15 years is simply fantastic, and gives you a feeling of elation that is almost unmatchable.

For fans of a franchise that desperately needed something to cheer about, it was one heck of a great moment.

RedsManRick
12-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I went:
- Bruce's clincher
- Fight w/ Cards
- Chapman's debut

Bruce's catch vs. Arizona would probably have been #4.

Chip R
12-14-2010, 11:28 PM
I understand what George is saying but walk-off victories are wonderfully dramatic. Walk-off HRs are very exciting as well. Even if Bruce's walk-off HR wasn't the division clincher, it would be included in this list. To have it be the division clincher in front of all those fans was tremendous.

George Anderson
12-14-2010, 11:41 PM
I understand what George is saying but walk-off victories are wonderfully dramatic. Walk-off HRs are very exciting as well. Even if Bruce's walk-off HR wasn't the division clincher, it would be included in this list. To have it be the division clincher in front of all those fans was tremendous.

I can sum it up in another way. I went in the office the next day and my brother asked me why Reds fans went so nuts after the Bruce HR. His comment was "They were going to clinch anyway so why did they act like they just won the WS?" I pretty much told him it has been a long time that Reds fans have had anything to cheer about and while on the surface it really looked like the Reds fans overplayed the moment I kinda understood how they acted.

I guess I am one of the old time Reds fans who was fortunate to live through truly great Reds moments since the 1970's and Bruce's division clinching HR is nice but also just kinda ho hum to me in a way .

RFS62
12-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Anyone who said they would have been just as happy with a Cards loss is either an emotionless android or is fooling themselves. A walk-off homer is inherently dramatic. In front of the home crowd, even more so. A walk-off homer that clinches a team's first division title in 15 years is simply fantastic, and gives you a feeling of elation that is almost unmatchable.

For fans of a franchise that desperately needed something to cheer about, it was one heck of a great moment.

Yep. That was total sweetness, a dramatic end to an era of suckitude

Patrick Bateman
12-15-2010, 01:05 AM
I can sum it up in another way. I went in the office the next day and my brother asked me why Reds fans went so nuts after the Bruce HR. His comment was "They were going to clinch anyway so why did they act like they just won the WS?" I pretty much told him it has been a long time that Reds fans have had anything to cheer about and while on the surface it really looked like the Reds fans overplayed the moment I kinda understood how they acted.

I guess I am one of the old time Reds fans who was fortunate to live through truly great Reds moments since the 1970's and Bruce's division clinching HR is nice but also just kinda ho hum to me in a way .

It basically chacterized the end of a really crappy era. No one play stands out more for me to do that this season.

That certainly means something to me.

Mario-Rijo
12-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Bruce walkoff (BTW the Cards didn't lose so it still technically was the clincher)
Woods near perfect game
"The fight"

In 20 years I'll look back and maybe remember Aroldis' debut and Jays HR more but these were my top 3 moments. Man I really thought Travis was gonna get that perfect game. This season I started a new hate affair with Carlos Ruiz (amongst others).

I will also remember Votto's season in general and perhaps his 8 minute AB versus Jonathan Broxton.

11larkin11
12-15-2010, 02:36 AM
Although we lost the game, this was probably the craziest I went all year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9506351

OnBaseMachine
12-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Although we lost the game, this was probably the craziest I went all year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9506351

I didn't even have to click on the link to know what you were referring to. That was an epic HR, even though the Reds went on to lose.

GADawg
12-15-2010, 07:03 AM
i went with the clinching walk off...i get exactly what George was saying but it was still a definite goose bump moment

Votto's walkoff....mainly because of the crowd and the fact that it was votto and the fact that he came through when you expected him too

Wood's performance....just something about that guy and his demeanor gets me revved up to watch his games

I didn't go with the fight because in the end it made the Reds look bad....the press made Phillips look like a big time instigator and Cueto like a savage and maybe they were to an extent. That said while i was watching i could feel the adrenaline and was ready to be in the middle of that kicking Larue and especially Carp in the head too!

mth123
12-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Bruce' Homer, Bruce' Catch and Votto's walk-off. Jay Bruce developping into a hero is something the organization needs which makes it more special for me when he does it as compared with somebody like Cabrera or Gomes.

I'd also like to add that seeing Wood's approach is something that really excited me though I can't point to a single moment. I had Wood down as a ho-hum pitching prospect until watching his demeanor on the mound. He didn't fall apart when he lost the perfecto and had several other gutsy moments out there this year. I'm convinced the kid is going to be a good major league pitcher at this point. I still don't think he's an ace or a threat to win the Cy Young, but he's a guy I'm happy to see the Reds go to war with and its mostly from seeing his attitude more than his stuff.

RedsBaron
12-15-2010, 07:15 AM
I voted for Jay Bruce's HR and nothing else. There were a lot of great moments during the 2010 season but nothing else came close to the sheer joy of that moment.

buckeyenut
12-15-2010, 07:33 AM
I voted for Bruce's Homerun, the fight with the Cards (was there for that one, man that was an intense game), and Other. Other for me, I am surprised it wasn't mentioned yet, is Chapman breaking 105, and throwing 20 straight pitches over 100. Never before and never again in my lifetime will either of those feats be seen and the rookie does both in one night. Absolutely amazing.

TRF
12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
i need to learn to read. i picked 10. :)

HeatherC1212
12-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Two out of the three moments I picked I was in the crowd for and they were electrifying moments for me because of the crowd atmosphere both nights. The first one was obviously the division clinching HR by Jay Bruce. That crowd was insane the entire night and I don't know about anyone else but I felt like something special was going to happen while I was there. That HR floated for like twenty seconds before landing right in the CF grass and the crowd reaction is something I will never forget. I was crying, hugging people around me that I had just met that night, and I actually got so excited that I forgot to take pictures of the home plate celebration. :eek: It really felt like the 'old Reds' were gone and this new team of young guys and veterans who are truly a TEAM was going to be around from then on. That moment wasn't so much about the HR itself but about what it represented for the fans and that's why it was such a big deal for me. I will never forget that night. :D

The other two I picked were Chapman's debut (wasn't there for that one but I watched it on TV and holy crap was the crowd awesome that night) and the Heisey-Cabrera-Hernandez throw to end the game during the Civil Rights Night which I was there for and was one of the most exciting games I'd been to all year (up until Clinchmas and the playoff game anyway, LOL). There were a ton more I could have picked but those three stand out to me the most. Joey's AB versus Broxton was also pretty darn awesome though. :D

It's been a pretty awesome year, don't you think??! :thumbup:

cumberlandreds
12-15-2010, 12:52 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11290197 (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11290197)

I didn't put other in my top three but if I had this would have been it for me. Just a great ab, IMO, a crucial game.

RedFanAlways1966
12-15-2010, 01:05 PM
IMO I would not call "the fight" a top moment in 2010. I'd call it an embarrassing moment in 2010.

I consider TOP MOMENTS to be positive things. In no way/shape/form is that fight a positive thing. It did not put fear in the Cardinals or make them play worse. It was started by dumb comments made by the REDS 2nd baseman. Then the hole got deeper by a starting pitcher fighting like a scared little boy (thank God he did not get in a fetal position).

The Cardinals have been winners and seemed to have the REDS number for years. When it happened I was excited and yelling to give them one for me as I rooted for my fav team to whoop their butts. After a short amount of time I came to realize that it was not a good thing and has no place in baseball. And a couple of the players on my fav team looked very bad (bush league as the saying goes).

TRF
12-15-2010, 03:42 PM
IMO I would not call "the fight" a top moment in 2010. I'd call it an embarrassing moment in 2010.

I consider TOP MOMENTS to be positive things. In no way/shape/form is that fight a positive thing. It did not put fear in the Cardinals or make them play worse. It was started by dumb comments made by the REDS 2nd baseman. Then the hole got deeper by a starting pitcher fighting like a scared little boy (thank God he did not get in a fetal position).

The Cardinals have been winners and seemed to have the REDS number for years. When it happened I was excited and yelling to give them one for me as I rooted for my fav team to whoop their butts. After a short amount of time I came to realize that it was not a good thing and has no place in baseball. And a couple of the players on my fav team looked very bad (bush league as the saying goes).

It is odd the things that can galvanize a team though. The fight and resulting pummeling of the Reds on the field may have led the Cards into a state of overconfidence. The same result seemed to focus the Reds.

The fight itself may have been an embarrassing moment, the result... well, I'll take it. :)

kbrake
12-15-2010, 09:34 PM
I voted for pretty much the same stuff as everyone else but another great moment that I've yet to see mentioned would be Arthur Rhodes blowing Cargo away with the bases loaded when the Rockies were in Cincinnati. That was awesome.

reds1869
12-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I went with Bruce's clincher, Chapman's debut and MVP's walk off against the Buccos on September 11. That night was special with the 4192 ceremony and general electricity in the air. Attending with my dad who is a Pirates fan made it even more special.

In the end, though, #1 is Jay's homer to seal the deal. I had been out of town and got back to my apartment in time to turn on the TV, see the home run and watch the GABP fireworks out my living room window. I screamed like a little girl, teared up a bit then went out on my balcony and soaked in the atmosphere below. It was just a really great night to be a Reds fan.

thatcoolguy_22
12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
How about we make a 10 worst moments of the season. Anyone want to post a poll? I'm talking losing 6 run leads in the 9th and the site almost keeling over with negative energy type moments.

Joseph
12-17-2010, 11:43 PM
How about we make a 10 worst moments of the season. Anyone want to post a poll? I'm talking losing 6 run leads in the 9th and the site almost keeling over with negative energy type moments.

You sir, are no fun at all.

reds44
12-18-2010, 03:50 AM
The winner would have to be game 1. A punch in the gut like no other. The good news is, I never have to be terrified of us getting no hit again. We did it in the playoffs, so if it happens in the regular season it'll seem like nothing.

Ron Madden
12-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Number One has to be Jay Bruce's walk off clincher. 'Nuff said.

I went with the Heisey to OCab to Hernandez game ending play@the plate#2.

Jay Bruce's catch to rob a HR for the last out to save the game #3.

JMHO but "The Fight" is the most insignificant and over-rated event of 2010.

Redsfan320
12-18-2010, 08:14 AM
The winner would have to be game 1. A punch in the gut like no other. The good news is, I never have to be terrified of us getting no hit again. We did it in the playoffs, so if it happens in the regular season it'll seem like nothing.

Game 1, Game 2, Game 3, the Atlanta Debacle, and the SanFran Debacle was bad even with the comeback win.

AtomicDumpling
12-18-2010, 07:21 PM
The Jay Bruce HR clincher and the Aroldis debut were two of the most exciting moments I have EVER had as a Reds fan, not just for this season but for my whole life.

I was at the game the night Senor 105 made his debut. The atmosphere of anticipation was just electric and he did not disappoint a soul.

Bruce's clinching home run was a cathartic moment of sheer joy for long-suffering Reds fans that hadn't seen a clincher in a generation.

_Sir_Charles_
12-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Not included, but my #3 was Cueto's 1 hit gem followed by Homer's 4 hit gem the following night. Both guys were simply DOMINANT. I can't recall 18 innings of such domination by Reds pitching...ever.