PDA

View Full Version : What position did you imagine yourself playing in the big leagues?

TRF
12-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Not who did you imagine being, just what position and where?

For myself, I always imagined playing RF for the Reds. In HS i always played 1B, some 3B, softball 1B and SS in a pinch, but when I'd fantasize about playing MLB, it was always in RF for the Reds.

The Operator
12-15-2010, 04:17 PM
I always wanted to be either that TOR starter who can shut a team down for 7 innings on a given night, or a high-powered closer that shortens every game by an inning.

Pitching was always my thing, I loved being in control of the tempo of the game. I really miss it.

If not for pitching, I'd wanna be a slick fielding, power hitting corner outfielder. Kinda like Jay Bruce, haha.

westofyou
12-15-2010, 04:19 PM
2b

George Anderson
12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Catcher.....#5 made it look easy so I figured I could do it to.

camisadelgolf
12-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Slap-hitting 2B with a great eye. Something similar to Dustin Ackley perhaps.

NJReds
12-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Power hitting OF ... walk out to my position and have an awesome reclining chair.

Well, the first part is true.

Mario-Rijo
12-15-2010, 04:34 PM
SS all the way. Play a mean 1B though. :cool:

Terrible OF, not a good judge of flyballs.

TheNext44
12-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Left bench. ;)

Captain Hook
12-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Left bench. ;)

I could back you up.

lollipopcurve
12-15-2010, 04:39 PM
2b, lefthanded.

OesterPoster
12-15-2010, 04:40 PM
2b, wearing #16.

RedsManRick
12-15-2010, 04:47 PM
SS, then 1B

I liked being involved in nearly every play but without the pressure of fielding so many ground balls...

Joseph
12-15-2010, 04:52 PM
When I was younger I wanted to be a CF, but as I got a little older I wanted to be a SS. I also wanted to bat 2nd in the order because I wanted to control the pitcher a bit by making him work harder throwing me pitches. I'd allow the lead-off guy to work and get his SB's and I'd foul off a ton of pitches to tire the pitcher out.

gonelong
12-15-2010, 04:57 PM
When I was kid, Short Stop, batting 2nd.

In high school, LF (although athletic enough to fill in at 2B), 4 hole hitter, cleaning off the bases.

Now (40) - Pinch hitter (would need a pinch runner)

GL

HumnHilghtFreel
12-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Second base. Was my position from my first game of coach pitch all the way through the end of my highschool career. Never much of a hitter but great in the field and sneaky on the basepaths. Notice I didn't say fast :lol:

RANDY IN INDY
12-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I was always a shortstop and pitcher.

klw
12-15-2010, 05:21 PM
I always hoped to the starting pitcher for the Reds on opening day.

traderumor
12-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Soft tossing, slop throwing lefty starting pitcher. No chance at 1b, weak stick.

reds1869
12-15-2010, 05:25 PM
I always pictured myself as a RF, which was my primary position. I was an Ichiro type when I was younger, though obviously not as good!

aubashbrother
12-15-2010, 05:27 PM
3rd all the way.

Roy Tucker
12-15-2010, 05:29 PM
A flyhawk centerfielder making an impossible game-winning catch by vaulting up the CF wall to save game 7 of the World Series.

Hey, its my fantasy, I can do what I want!

Big Klu
12-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Bats: Both
Throws: Left

Switch-hitting 1B who could also fill in at LF or RF (in that order). High-average hitter with some pop (but not a pure home-run hitter) who could hit in the #3, 5, or 6 spots in the batting order.

Willing to take a bench role as a backup 1B/OF and PH as I got older.

Red in Chicago
12-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I always loved watching Davey Concepcion play short, so that was my imaginary position. Unfortunately, I didn't have the glove for that, so I played all three outfield positions and 1st.

redhawkfish
12-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Catcher.....#5 made it look easy so I figured I could do it to.

Catcher for me also! Mainly because I figured Ernie Lombardi could have out ran me!

RedRoser
12-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Leftfield---always been my favorite position in baseball thru college and now in the Bigs (Big Mens Softball Leagues, of course)! LOL
Since my days in Minor League (little kids minor leagues that is), I would always run to first on walks, slide headfirst, dive after balls, and run over people who got in my way. Hell, I was Pete Rose. :D
Two big differences though---1) he was far more versatile than me at playing multiple positions, and B) I've yet to bet on baseball, even on my own team.:thumbup:

westofyou
12-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Catcher for me also! Mainly because I figured Ernie Lombardi could have out ran me!

I caught in 5th grade, I was in heaven.. I also was the smallest guy on the team, I loved that.

Redsfan320
12-15-2010, 06:55 PM
I was only 14 this past year for my 1st season. I played 1st and really liked it. Anywhere in the IF would be my preference, though I'd play wherever needed. I wore #9 this year and would like to keep that. As far as a MLB team... Reds all the way.

RedsBaron
12-15-2010, 06:55 PM
"Put me in coach, I'm ready to play, today
"Look at me, I can be, Center Field"

I'm still hoping to be the Reds centerfielder when I grow up. ;)

Homer Bailey
12-15-2010, 06:56 PM
My game is strikingly similar to Paul Janish's.

15fan
12-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Beer vendor.

RFS62
12-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Catcher.

I loved every minute of it.

Raisor
12-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Catcher.

I loved every minute of it.

must. not. make. joke.

mth123
12-15-2010, 07:31 PM
"Put me in coach, I'm ready to play, today
"Look at me, I can be, Center Field"

I'm still hoping to be the Reds centerfielder when I grow up. ;)

Me too. Of course I wasn't good enough to get off of 1B or from behind the plate even in little league, but CF is the position I always dreamed of.

Griffey012
12-15-2010, 08:15 PM
A closer. There was nothing more exciting in little league and all-stars then coming in the 6th or 7th innings (shorter games) and throwing gas by hitters and freezing guys with a nice slider. However this was back in the day when I was 5'8-5'11 as a 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th grader. I am 5'11 today.

In high school it turned into a crafty groundball machine ala Derek Lowe.

Cooper
12-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Short stop. Davey was so fluid. When i was little i would step on a basketball (it wouold throw off balance) and pretend it was a guy tryiing to break up the double play. If i did that now i'd be broke up myself.

Btw, anybody have dreams where you are asked to play and you keep saying "don't they know i'm too old?"....have that dream 3 times a month. Getting old ain't much fun.

You young guys that still have your skills -don't quit playing unless your body tells you it's time...don't let your wife or girlfriend tell you it's time- you'll know. I'd love to be able to do the things i could when i was 23 (yup, that's a double entrende).

Griffey012
12-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Short stop. Davey was so fluid. When i was little i would step on a basketball (it wouold throw off balance) and pretend it was a guy tryiing to break up the double play. If i did that now i'd be broke up myself.

Btw, anybody have dreams where you are asked to play and you keep saying "don't they know i'm too old?"....have that dream 3 times a month. Getting old ain't much fun.

You young guys that still have your skills -don't quit playing unless your body tells you it's time...don't let your wife or girlfriend tell you it's time- you'll know. I'd love to be able to do the things i could when i was 23 (yup, that's a double entrende).

Agree with you there, I am 24, starting playing again last spring after about a 3 year hiatus. Man did I suck. Thats a tough pill to swallow.

GADawg
12-15-2010, 09:46 PM
nothing but SS for me....played there through college and made every routine play...had 0 range....i woulda been a big time RZ whipping boy

corkedbat
12-15-2010, 10:31 PM
CF - robbing hits from baseline to baseline and climbing walls to steal HRs.

Now, the only thing about me capable of climbing is my shorts. :D

I imagined myself being a 6-tool player. 6th Tool = Cool. I was gonna be have so much style it was gonna be a weapon.

3rd base was second choice.

Griffey012
12-15-2010, 10:47 PM
nothing but SS for me....played there through college and made every routine play...had 0 range....i woulda been a big time RZ whipping boy

Jeff Keppinger is that you?

GADawg
12-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Jeff Keppinger is that you?

:D....he already was a big RZ whipping boy

thatcoolguy_22
12-15-2010, 10:58 PM

I was just the opposite. I played 2nd and would make every remarkable play and then proceed to toss it over the 1B's head or bobble the routine. Very frustrating for all of my coaches :)

HumnHilghtFreel
12-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Agree with you there, I am 24, starting playing again last spring after about a 3 year hiatus. Man did I suck. Thats a tough pill to swallow.

lol I'm 22, haven't played organized ball since I was a junior in highschool and tore up my knee sliding into second base. I have a serious itch to look for a competitive league in my area, but I'm horrified of how bad I would be after so long away.

thatcoolguy_22
12-15-2010, 11:28 PM
lol I'm 22, haven't played organized ball since I was a junior in highschool and tore up my knee sliding into second base. I have a serious itch to look for a competitive league in my area, but I'm horrified of how bad I would be after so long away.

You will be horrible. It comes back quickly though. Have fun ;)

Spitball
12-15-2010, 11:32 PM
I loved pitching ang playing third base. In high school, our infield made up our pitching staff. I pitched or filled in at the infield position that was vacated by the day's starting pitcher. I made my best defensive plays at third and loved that more than any other aspect of the game.

WVPacman
12-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Everytime I played baseball I played Centerfield.. I love that position b/c you can see everything thats going on.I was a fast runner when I was in my prime so I could easily run down a fly ball. CF is definitely my pick!!

redsmetz
12-16-2010, 07:18 AM
I didn't have that dream. That's not a sad, pathetic statement, it was my reality. I only played one year of organized ball since I had asthma (pre-inhaler). I played on a C-Level knothole team and did reach base once thanks to an errant catcher letting strike three get by him. My position? They wrote the song "Right Field" for me, although I'm not sure I ever caught a ball either.

My dream for my son was centerfield, always thinking it would have been fun for him to get signed by the Mets. I'd imagine the public announcer saying, "Now batting for the Mets, Metz." Alas, he couldn't hit fastballs, a definite career killer (he could handle curves, go figure). But his 8th grade coach said he was probably the best defensive outfielder in the city's CYO. The funnest play he had was a shoestring catch, which doubled the runner off second, on a play scored 8-2-6. The runner had taken off and had already rounded 3rd. He saw the runner, and instinctively fired a bullet to home; the catcher fired it back to second for the double play. He realized that he could have walked the ball to second. And the runner, having rounded third, was like a cartoon character trying to reverse course to get back to second.

But that "now batting for the Mets" thing would have been.

Strikes Out Looking
12-16-2010, 07:59 AM
2B -- just like number 8. Then GM -- just like the great Bob Howsam.

Dan
12-16-2010, 08:20 AM
I played third base for most of my little league career. I wasn't bright enough to get out of the way of the balls that were hit my direction, so coach kept me at the hot corner. I only had one really good year, starting the season off with 8 hits in a row including one home run ("inside" the park...didn't really have an outfield fence, I hit it over the center fielder's head). The next year I played as a freshman in high school and that brought reality back as I stopped hitting, moved to the outfield, and just got bored with it all because I really wasn't that good.

Still, playing third was definitely fun for me, and at the time I could see myself doing that all the way up the ladder.

Dan
12-16-2010, 08:25 AM

So much this. The one sport I do have some talent at is bowling. I took a 13 year hiatus because of school/money/time considerations and only got back to it about 5 years ago. So glad I did, too. I'm on the verge now of being one of the top 10 bowlers in the DC area. Can't imagine where I'd be skill-wise if I hadn't taken so much time away from it.

redsmetz
12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
So much this. The one sport I do have some talent at is bowling. I took a 13 year hiatus because of school/money/time considerations and only got back to it about 5 years ago. So glad I did, too. I'm on the verge now of being one of the top 10 bowlers in the DC area. Can't imagine where I'd be skill-wise if I hadn't taken so much time away from it.

My aunt & uncle still bowl and he's 80 and she'll be 79 later this month. Her score last week was higher than I've ever had (I'm lousy).

I played softball into my 40's, finally quit after an injury. That and sliding into third and the young woman playing 3rd fell down on me. I realized it was a classmate of my oldest daughter and thought "this is wrong..."

Now that I've lost just over 40 lbs, I told my wife I might look for an over 50 league to get back into. Have to lose some more weight and start getting in better shape.

IslandRed
12-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Shortstop.

<-- See avatar

Ron Madden
12-18-2010, 06:43 AM
I always played SS until I joined a team in a Tri State League and played CF up to the age of 22, that's when I had to go on second shift at work.
But truth is I always wanted to be a Pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds.

OnBaseMachine
12-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Shortstop or pitcher. I loved pitching.

MartyFan
12-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Shortstop, just like my boyhood idol, Davey Concepcion. I immulated everything he did from his pigeon toe stance in the box to his neck thrust and bounce-trow to first.

Sadly, I didn't posses the same skill set as he and I moved onto radio.

The Voice of IH
12-19-2010, 10:37 PM
I always wanted to pitch, until I got the chance in practice one day and could not find anywhere close to the plate. I then realized that my starting second base position was not too bad.

When I was really young (1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade) I always batted 4th playing on a team two years up. I was not over sized for my age or anything, I just had a knack for hitting a baseball. but I slipped and playing did not appeal to me much and settled with broadcasting sports in high school.

So I guess my childhood (and still today even) is in the press box calling play by play ;)

dougdirt
12-19-2010, 11:53 PM
In my mind I was a really good version of Micah Owings. I pitched every 5 days and started in center field the rest of the week.

reds44
12-20-2010, 03:38 AM
Shortstop. #2. Idolized Derek Jeter my entire life. I even did the jump throw as a kid (sometimes when it wasn't needed).

Griffey was always my favorite player but I could never be him because I wasn't left handed or African-American lol.