PDA

View Full Version : Pitt has a new coach

texasdave
12-16-2010, 12:34 AM
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pitt is expected to introduce Miami (Ohio) football coach Michael Haywood as Dave Wannstedt's successor at a news conference ThursdayRead more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/12/15/pitt.haywood.coach.ap/index.html#ixzz18FYbQ0L5

WVPacman
12-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/12/15/pitt.haywood.coach.ap/index.html#ixzz18FYbQ0L5

My two favorite teams is WVU and whoever beats Pitt!!:D

Alot of Pitt fans are gaged since their AD let Dana Holgorsen slip threw their fingers.

Hoosier Red
12-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow, that's a great opportunity for Michael Haywood, but you'd think Pitt could get someone with more than one winning season to his name.

No disrespect to him, because he did a great job this past season, but I'm just surprised that they didn't go after/land a coach with more experience.

I wrote earlier that I would have been disappointed if Indiana had to reach like this, and I'd think Pitt is in a better situation than Indiana.

Homer Bailey
12-16-2010, 09:57 AM
From my alma mater to my least favorite team. Yeah, you're on my list Mr. Haywood.

Holgorsen is going to own this guy.

Boss-Hog
12-16-2010, 10:36 AM
From my alma mater to my least favorite team. Yeah, you're on my list Mr. Haywood.

Holgorsen is going to own this guy.
Same here...sad to see him go, but I echo Hoosier Red's sentiments, as well - I didn't see him leaving this year. I wish he'd have stayed more than two years in Oxford but I'll at least always appreciate that he was able to completely turn around the program (at least for one year).

WVRed
12-16-2010, 10:53 AM
This has been a weird year in coaching changes for sure, although if the Michigan job comes open, it could get even weirder.

I was kinda hoping either Rich Rodriguez (assuming he got fired from Michigan), or Marvin Lewis (Pittsburgh native and former assistant) would have been considered.

chicoruiz
12-16-2010, 11:49 AM
This has been a weird year in coaching changes for sure, although if the Michigan job comes open, it could get even weirder.

That's for sure. Michigan is in a tough spot. I think they'd pull the trigger on Rodriguez if they were sure they could get Harbaugh, but Harbaugh may be in no hurry until he sees what NFL jobs open up.

Sea Ray
12-16-2010, 12:29 PM
So much for the Marvin to Pitt rumors. It's really hard to put a pro coach into a college program at this point due to the timing. Colleges can't wait 'till mid January and pro coaches have a job to fulfill 'till then. You'd have to pull off a Bobby Petrino stunt

Reds4Life
12-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Bad hire for Pitt, IMO. The guy has one winning season in a bad conference and Pitt hires him? Makes no sense. If they are expecting for Haywood to take them to the next level, they are sadly mistaken.

dabvu2498
12-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Bad hire for Pitt, IMO. The guy has one winning season in a bad conference and Pitt hires him? Makes no sense. If they are expecting for Haywood to take them to the next level, they are sadly mistaken.

Some of the Vandy "insiders" thought Haywood was coming to Nashville after Malzhan shot em down.

Now it seems like the Commodores are going to take an OC froma mediocre offensive team. Sweet.

WVRed
12-16-2010, 01:28 PM
So much for the Marvin to Pitt rumors. It's really hard to put a pro coach into a college program at this point due to the timing. Colleges can't wait 'till mid January and pro coaches have a job to fulfill 'till then. You'd have to pull off a Bobby Petrino stunt

Given the Bengals record, he could resign and nobody would shed a tear. Zimmer takes over for the final two games.

I think Pitt was left holding the bag after Dana Holgorsen spurned them for WVU. They panicked and made the worst hire possible.

*BaseClogger*
12-16-2010, 01:30 PM
"The worst hire possible"?

Boss-Hog
12-16-2010, 01:38 PM
"The worst hire possible"?
Yeah, I agree - I see the risk here in that the guy has had one winning season (in exactly two years as a head coach) but I'm not sure how that equates to "the worst hire possible".

*BaseClogger*
12-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Haywood won 9 games already this season. His team was always prepared to play and never got upset. That win against Northern Illinois in the MAC Championship with their backup quarterback was a very impressive feat. Miami's four losses in 2010:

@Florida (7-5, Outback Bowl)
@Missouri (10-2, Insight Bowl)
@Cincinnati (they sucked)
Ohio (8-4, New Orleans Bowl)

He was also a highly successful assistant coach and coordinator at big programs like Texas, LSU, and Notre Dame before becoming a head coach, including winning an award for Assistant Coach of the Year in 2005. I don't think he is a bad hire at all, but obviously I'm biased... :)

Sea Ray
12-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Given the Bengals record, he could resign and nobody would shed a tear. Zimmer takes over for the final two games.

Isn't that what Petrino did? That didn't turn out too good

Boston Red
12-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Isn't that what Petrino did? That didn't turn out too good

If Petrino had resigned after a meeting with his team and after informing his owner of his plans, that Atlanta thing would not have been so ridiculous.

Plus, Marvin Lewis is getting fired anyway. Petrino wasn't getting fired.

paintmered
12-16-2010, 05:23 PM
His team was always prepared to play

Halftime score: UC 45, Miami 3

Please don't think I'm rubbing your nose in it. But I think that for the MAC champion to have that kind of performance against their rival and 2nd-to-last place Big East team suggests that his team wasn't prepared to play that day.

Reds4Life
12-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Please don't think I'm rubbing your nose in it. But I think that for the MAC champion to have that kind of performance against their rival and 2nd-to-last place Big East team suggests that his team wasn't prepared to play that day.

The MAC was horrible this year. Which makes the hire all the more confusing. Thin resume, one winning season during a very down year for the conference as a whole.

It's almost like Pitt wanted to go on the cheap, which is odd because their financial situation isn't that dire. The problem is, all the fans and boosters whined that Wanny didn't win titles, didn't go to BCS bowls, but yet a no-name with 1 winning season in a crappy conference is going to fix that?

I don't get it.

paintmered
12-16-2010, 06:21 PM
The MAC was horrible this year. Which makes the hire all the more confusing. Thin resume, one winning season during a very down year for the conference as a whole.

It's almost like Pitt wanted to go on the cheap, which is odd because their financial situation isn't that dire. The problem is, all the fans and boosters whined that Wanny didn't win titles, didn't go to BCS bowls, but yet a no-name with 1 winning season in a crappy conference is going to fix that?

I don't get it.

Sure, the other possibility is that the MAC is just that much worse than the Big East. But I didn't want to turn this thread into "my conference is better than your conference".

IslandRed
12-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Playing devil's advocate here, since I don't have a dog in the fight -- Haywood was only there two seasons, and he took over a team that went 2-10 the year before and 10-27 the three prior seasons combined, suggesting he didn't inherit some big stockpile of talent. MAC down year or no, 9-4 and league champs is a pretty solid turnaround for the second season, isn't it? I mean, the players he recruited were only freshmen or true sophomores. I don't know that's it's realistic to say a team should be able to go from MAC bottom-feeder to beating BCS-league teams in two years, and if they don't the coach sucks.

Not saying Pitt made the right hire, I have no idea, I'm just thinking folks are a little quick with the dismissal.

UKFlounder
12-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Of course, how was Gene Chizik greeted at Auburn and what was his record at Iowa State before that?

Now all Pitt needs is their own Cam Newon and voila!

:)

*BaseClogger*
12-16-2010, 11:14 PM

Then you go and ruin my post. :(

:D But looking back on that game I'm really glad Boucher (the backup QB at the time) got into the game...

WVRed
12-17-2010, 12:50 AM
If Petrino had resigned after a meeting with his team and after informing his owner of his plans, that Atlanta thing would not have been so ridiculous.

Plus, Marvin Lewis is getting fired anyway. Petrino wasn't getting fired.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Marvin is out the door anyways, Petrino was in his first year on the job.

Heath
12-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Maybe Urban Meyer's doctors RX is vacation in Oxford, OH.

I also would bet that Mike Leach is looking into the job.

Sea Ray
12-17-2010, 09:34 AM

I don't get it.

I don't see why they forced Wannstedt out in the first place. I think he should have been given a little more time to develop his young team.

Sea Ray
12-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Couldn't have put it better myself. Marvin is out the door anyways, Petrino was in his first year on the job.

It's still "quitting" on your guys. Can you think of a time where this has happened before, 'cause I can't other than Petrino and that's why

IslandRed
12-17-2010, 09:49 AM
It's still "quitting" on your guys. Can you think of a time where this has happened before, 'cause I can't other than Petrino and that's why

Yep. Bailing on a team before the season is over is a big no-no. Maybe if you're Petrino and you've figured out you're over your head in the NFL and you just want to go back to college for the rest of your life, fine, you don't care about the repercussions. But if you're Marvin Lewis, you're still eminently employable in the NFL, so why burn that bridge?

Reds4Life
12-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Might not be the new coach for very long, Haywood was arrested today for domestic violence.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2010-12-31/new-pitt-coach-mike-haywood-arrested-for-domestic-violence

UKFlounder
01-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Time to change this to Pitt NEEDS a new coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5978467

WMR
01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Damn!!

That has to be one of the shorter HC tenures in history...

Wonder how the UK/Pitt bowl game will play out now... You would think Pitt will be in total disarray.

BuckeyeRed27
01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Rich Rod come on down!

jojo
01-01-2011, 06:29 PM
This is a very sad turn of events.

Sea Ray
01-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Damn!!

That has to be one of the shorter HC tenures in history...

Wonder how the UK/Pitt bowl game will play out now... You would think Pitt will be in total disarray.

Yep, even shorter than Mike Price at Alabama. It'll be interesting to follow this and see just how much money this incident cost him

jojo
01-01-2011, 10:20 PM
How long was O'Leary the coach for Notre Dame?

Revering4Blue
01-01-2011, 11:06 PM
How long was O'Leary the coach for Notre Dame?

5 Days.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/2001/12/14/oleary_notredame/

KronoRed
01-01-2011, 11:06 PM
O'Leary was the ND coach for 5 days.
Edit:
Yeah what he said :D

LawFive
01-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Over on ESPN a commenter stated that Pitt may have realized they made a mistake with the hiring in the first place, and are just using this as an opportunity to get out of their decision.

Danny Serafini
01-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Over on ESPN a commenter stated that Pitt may have realized they made a mistake with the hiring in the first place, and are just using this as an opportunity to get out of their decision.

I don't buy that for a second. The turnaround he led at Miami was amazing. It's clear he can coach. But disgracing the name of the university is going to get any coach dumped, especially one with no strong tie to the school.

KronoRed
01-02-2011, 05:19 AM
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Even if he's not guilty the fact that he's in jail is likely enough to have his employment terminated.

Reds4Life
01-02-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't buy that for a second. The turnaround he led at Miami was amazing. It's clear he can coach. But disgracing the name of the university is going to get any coach dumped, especially one with no strong tie to the school.

Pitt fans and boosters wanted a proven guy, hiring Haywood wasn't popular with the big money boys. He had 1 winning season, ok, so what? The argument Pitt used to force Wannstedt out was he didn't win enough conference titles, and thus, go to BCS bowls. How is hiring a relative no name, with a thin resume, going to fix that? It isn't. To say this hire was unpopular would be a huge understatement.

You can also add into the fact that about half of Pitt's recruiting class decommitted after Wanny was let go, with most of them already committing to other schools, so Haywood wasn't going to get them back.

jojo
01-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Pitt fans and boosters wanted a proven guy, hiring Haywood wasn't popular with the big money boys. He had 1 winning season, ok, so what? The argument Pitt used to force Wannstedt out was he didn't win enough conference titles, and thus, go to BCS bowls. How is hiring a relative no name, with a thin resume, going to fix that? It isn't. To say this hire was unpopular would be a huge understatement.

You can also add into the fact that about half of Pitt's recruiting class decommitted after Wanny was let go, with most of them already committing to other schools, so Haywood wasn't going to get them back.

The administration talked up the hire as a character move pretty heavily. This was probably the worst case scenario given the language they used to sell the hire to the fan base.

IslandRed
01-02-2011, 06:57 PM
The argument Pitt used to force Wannstedt out was he didn't win enough conference titles, and thus, go to BCS bowls. How is hiring a relative no name, with a thin resume, going to fix that? It isn't.

Well, that logic presupposes that if a coach hasn't won a BCS-level conference championship yet he isn't capable of doing it, which obviously isn't correct. Every proven coach was once an unproven one.

But yeah, if Pitt sold the fans that they were going to bring in someone who had already done what they were axing Wannstedt for not doing, then they failed badly.

texasdave
01-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Let's try this again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/01/10/pitt.graham.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

paintmered
01-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Let's try this again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/01/10/pitt.graham.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

If I'm a Pitt fan, I want a third try at this.

Reds4Life
01-11-2011, 09:08 AM
If I'm a Pitt fan, I want a third try at this.

The cherry on top, they are paying this guy $2 million a year. :laugh: