PDA

View Full Version : Official RedsZone Television Viewing Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Chip R
02-16-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm a few episodes into season 2. It definitely is taking more time to set things up, but I like the direction it's going. The only challenge is its difficult to follow who is who right now. They have several different story arcs with trying to continue the Barksdale drug operation plot while also adding the seaport angle while also trying to keep all the same characters from Season 1 as a part of this season. It's a lot to take on, but it's starting to come together.

I always thought that was the most difficult part about watching The Wire.

bucksfan2
02-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm a few episodes into season 2. It definitely is taking more time to set things up, but I like the direction it's going. The only challenge is its difficult to follow who is who right now. They have several different story arcs with trying to continue the Barksdale drug operation plot while also adding the seaport angle while also trying to keep all the same characters from Season 1 as a part of this season. It's a lot to take on, but it's starting to come together.

Season 2 was my favorite. I may be the only person who says that but I think they did one heck of a job of character development in that season. I don't know why they decided to go in that direction for season 2. It was a deviation from the other seasons.

There are a couple of things I didn't quite like with the series. But overall it was a fantastic watch.

Redsfaithful
02-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Ziggy is a great character.

Roy Tucker
02-16-2012, 12:44 PM
"Cougar Town" returned on Tuesday night after a 9 month hiatus. It's ratings tanked.

Please watch this show. It is very funny.

cinredsfan2000
02-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Mostly stuff on the History channel
Ancient Aliens
Lost worlds
Gold Rush
and a few other things
Tosh.o
That metal show
How its made
Re runs on TBS
The Big bang theory
Family guy

MWM
02-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Man, Burrell and Rawls are the sleaziest characters in The Wire. I really dislike this guys.

Strikes Out Looking
02-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Man, Burrell and Rawls are the sleaziest characters in The Wire. I really dislike this guys.

The Wire is the greatest show ever.

My son watched it with us -- he was recently doing a public service with his youth group in Baltimore and just happened to be in the neighborhood that housed Prop Joe's shop. He and another kid were Wire fans and were giddy -- the other kids just thought they were nuts.

foxfire123
02-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Anyone else watching Full Metal Jousting?

Redsfaithful
02-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Downton Abbey is really good. Wife and I just sped through the first season in 2 nights.

Sweetstop
02-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Downton Abbey is really good. Wife and I just sped through the first season in 2 nights.

i've mentioned downton abbey here before. my husband and i saw the final episode of season 2 sunday night. needless to say, we're hooked. although, british period pieces generally make him run from the room, he really likes this about as well as i do. season 3 will provide shirley maclaine as the grandmother from america. she and maggie smith will be a hoot together..can't wait.

MWM
02-21-2012, 12:35 PM

Great show. The second season is even better than the first, IMO. I found a place online I could watch it.

MWM
02-21-2012, 12:46 PM
The Wire is the greatest show ever.

My son watched it with us -- he was recently doing a public service with his youth group in Baltimore and just happened to be in the neighborhood that housed Prop Joe's shop. He and another kid were Wire fans and were giddy -- the other kids just thought they were nuts.

I went on a little The Wire binge last week when I wasn't feeling well and through the weekend. Finished season 2 and 3 and am a few into season 4. Season 2 was pretty good, but not near as good as 1 or 3.

Season 3 was pure genius, just incredible. The whole Hamsterdam story line was fascinating, and a brilliant way to explore the subject of legalization of drugs without coming off as promoting an agenda. I love the Major Colvin character. I also love how there are few sacred cows on the show with both Stringer Bell and D'Angelo being axed and Avon heading off to prison.

I hated to see D'Angelo go as I really loved his character and would have liked to see a continued exploration of how he evolved. I think he's one of the best characters of any show I've seen. I was also fascinated by the evolution of Stringer Bell and how serious he was about becoming a legit business man only to be played by the system and coming to the realization that he's just a gangster. Just great stuff all around. I can't say enough about how amazing season 3 was.

I like how season 4 is starting and am already dreading when I'm done watching. I've never been this engrossed in a TV show before. The silver lining is that I'll stop dreaming all night about being on the streets of Baltimore. :laugh:

Redsfaithful
02-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Season 4 moved me to tears a few times. Can't say that about any other tv show I have ever watched.

Chip R
02-21-2012, 02:51 PM
I was also fascinated by the evolution of Stringer Bell and how serious he was about becoming a legit business man only to be played by the system and coming to the realization that he's just a gangster.

I thought Avon's description of Stringer was very apt: "Not hard enough to be a (gangster) and maybe, maybe not smart enough for business." No doubt Stringer was a bright guy but he was really never true to himself. Avon may have been a gangster but he knew it and accepted it and didn't pretend to be anything else. But, as you'll see in Season 4, Stringer - as bright as he was - may have not had much of a choice to be a legitimate businessman.

Caveat Emperor
02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
The consistent theme of seasons 1-3 is people rising and falling when they step out of their "place" in the grand scheme. Stringer, D'Angelo, the Sobotkas, Jimmy McNulty, Major Colvin, etc. -- all characters who rise and fall because they don't respect their place. Stringer is a hoodlum who wants to be an entrepreneur, D'Angelo is a soldier who wants to be big player, Ziggy and Nick Sobotka are dockworkers who want to be millionaires, Jimmy McNutly thinks he's smarter than everyone he works for and can't respect the chain of command, Major Colvin thinks he can solve the crime problem by legalizing it.

But, during that time, who are the people who are the survivors? They're the people who never try to be more than they are. Bunk Moreland. Omar Little. Lester Freeman. Bubbles. They accept their role in life and they live their role.

I love the Wire. I need to go back and re-watch it sometime. The first 3 seasons are outright television perfection. Seasons 4 and 5 are fantastic in their own way, but 1-3 are magic.

Redsfaithful
02-21-2012, 03:37 PM
I agree, but I'd add that the theme I took away is that capitalism will grind you down, and institutions are unchanging and uncaring.

Also, I think D'Angelo wanted out entirely more than he wanted to be a big player.

Caveat Emperor
02-21-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't think it's Capitalism -- it's "The System."

On the street slinging, at the police precinct, in city hall, on the docks -- the system always wins.

MWM
02-21-2012, 04:20 PM
I agree, but I'd add that the theme I took away is that capitalism will grind you down, and institutions are unchanging and uncaring.

Also, I think D'Angelo wanted out entirely more than he wanted to be a big player.

Agree about D'Angelo. I think he was a guy who had visions of being something out in the "legit" world. The scene where he took his girlfriend (or wife) to the fancy restaurant and he was really focused in on whether or not the people there knew "who he was" was the scene that most defined his character, IMO. He looked around and saw what he could be, but didn't know how to get there. I recall him once talking about how his grandfather was a big player in the street world; his uncle was the kingpin, his mother groomed him for it even. But it wasn't him. He was conflicted. He had aspirations of being a highly successful individual. That was one of his innate characteristics. He just thought that the only way to have it was through the streets. His desire for success wound up winning out over his desire to not be in the world he was stuck in - at least until it was too late to change it.

As for the theme, one that kept coming to mind as I've watched is that our "system", however you define it, is nothing more than a bunch of individual motivations and competing agendas that are always competing against what's right. People in positions of influence are constantly having to find a balance or to choose between what's best for them and what's best for those they represent....or what's right.

Burrell and Rawls are great examples. When choosing between what would help their own careers and what needed to be done to combat the crime problems in Baltimore - the job they're being paid to do - they chose their own interests. When you play that same scenario out across the macro of our government and economic system, you have America. The desires of the few wind up winning out over the interests of the many.

Redsfaithful
02-21-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't think it's Capitalism -- it's "The System."

On the street slinging, at the police precinct, in city hall, on the docks -- the system always wins.

Yeah, "The System" might be a better choice of words, although I'd argue it's the same thing since capitalism is our system in this country. But similar problems as the ones you see on The Wire would probably arise under other systems.

I read a lot of comparisons with The Wire and Charles Dickens, but I always thought Dostoevsky was just as valid.

Not trying to make this a political conversation, but that's tough with this show.

Ohayou
02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
This forum needs spoiler tags. :laugh:

Strikes Out Looking
02-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah, "The System" might be a better choice of words, although I'd argue it's the same thing since capitalism is our system in this country. But similar problems as the ones you see on The Wire would probably arise under other systems.

I read a lot of comparisons with The Wire and Charles Dickens, but I always thought Dostoevsky was just as valid.

Not trying to make this a political conversation, but that's tough with this show.

Season 5 was quite Dickensian!

They thought about doing a Season 6 -- the theme was going to be about the Hispanic influx and how it was affecting things.

Homer Bailey
02-22-2012, 09:53 PM
I went on a little The Wire binge last week...

Whoa there. Spoilers? I mean, I've seen it, so I don't care, but you could have ruined someone's viewing of this show with just a few of these sentences.

gilpdawg
02-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Can't wait for Mad Men to return. Just started it about a month ago and I'm already halfway through season 4.

RichRed
02-23-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm hooked on "Mad Men" too, and I agree that "The Wire" is the best TV show ever produced. It's completely brilliant, unapologetic, downright poetic at times.

Ohayou
02-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Anyone following Eastbound and Down's final season? I just watched it the other day and loved it. Easily already funnier to me than 95% of last season.

bucksfan2
02-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Spolier......

My favorite episode of The Wire was when Carcetti beat the incumbant Mayor in the primaries. The buildup and emotional high of that episode is something very few TV shows have been able to accomplish.

I am never able to put a finger on "why" that show was great. Maybe its the emotional roller coaster the show took you on. But man was that a great show.

LoganBuck
02-24-2012, 07:44 AM

Nothing against you in Ohayou, you have pointed out my single biggest internet TV pet peeve, people that complain about marking things as spoilers. Ok I get the guy that scours the internet looking for tidbits, and leaked scripts, those people should mark their posts as spoilers. My complaint is people that want discussion about a program that has already aired to be marked as "spoilers". When "24" was on, we had a 24 discussion thread, and almost monthly someone, would complain about spoilers because of discussion of already aired episodes. Newsflash, if you didn't see it, don't read the discussion thread!

Roy Tucker
02-24-2012, 08:48 AM
I guess I need to watch "The Wire".

MWM
02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
I guess I need to watch "The Wire".

You'd love it. Just make sure you have plenty of spare time or vacation days as you may be calling in "sick". :D

MWM
02-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Season 4 moved me to tears a few times. Can't say that about any other tv show I have ever watched.

I finished season 4 last night and I feel the same. It was incredibly moving, both in a sad and inspiring way. One of the amazing things about this show is how each season is so different from the others. I can't think of another show that maintains the elements that make it great from season to season, but changes the theme like it does. I still think season 3 was my favorite, but seasons 4 and 1 are awfully close. And I like them all for different reasons.

They did manage to include one of my serious TV show pet peeves in seasons 2 & 3 when they introduced the character of Brother Mouzone. This guy just isn't a real character and is the type of thing you find in over-the-top crime dramas. He was just out of place in this show, IMO. It's not that he wasn't a fun character, because he was kinda cool. He just wasn't believable, IMO.

I'm a little scared for season 5 based on some of what I've read about it. Part of me is tempted to just leave it at the end of season 4, but I doubt I'll have the discipline to do that. I'll probably be done by the end of the weekend. :laugh:

Ohayou
02-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Nothing against you in Ohayou, you have pointed out my single biggest internet TV pet peeve, people that complain about marking things as spoilers. Ok I get the guy that scours the internet looking for tidbits, and leaked scripts, those people should mark their posts as spoilers. My complaint is people that want discussion about a program that has already aired to be marked as "spoilers". When "24" was on, we had a 24 discussion thread, and almost monthly someone, would complain about spoilers because of discussion of already aired episodes. Newsflash, if you didn't see it, don't read the discussion thread!

No complaining, just friendly banter.

Strikes Out Looking
02-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Anyone following Eastbound and Down's final season? I just watched it the other day and loved it. Easily already funnier to me than 95% of last season.

Yes, but I will miss Kenny Powers entering the field to pitch in a donkey drawn cat.

Redsfaithful
02-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Most shows jump the shark when they add babies, but I think if anyone can make it work it's Eastbound and Down.

LoganBuck
02-24-2012, 05:47 PM
No complaining, just friendly banter.

No prob, wasn't really aimed at you.

BoydsOfSummer
02-24-2012, 07:44 PM
If you aren't watching Southland on TNT you are missing one great show.

LoganBuck
02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
If you aren't watching Southland on TNT you are missing one great show.

Agree, I just don't have time for it. Wish I did.

Homer Bailey
02-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Yet this thread is mostly made up of shows where people are suggesting shows to watch. If there was a thread titled "The Wire Discussion", I would think any discussion would be fair game. However, if someone is perusing this thread looking for a new tv show to watch, that show can be ruined pretty easily, no?

MWM
02-26-2012, 05:28 PM
I hadn't thought about the spoiler angle of a show that ended several years ago, but it makes sense as it could detract from those who may watch the show. Although, it should be pretty clear when it's being discussed before anything is really revealed.

SPOILER ALERT: For example, a couple of years ago I was watching a show on TV that was along the lines of the top 10 most shocking things from TV. One of them was when Omar got killed. I knew I was going to watch the show at some point, so I wished I hadn't seen it. A couple years later I couldn't remember if it was Omar for sure, but I was pretty sure it was. As soon as he walked into that corner store I knew that was the scene. Had I not known that, I probably would have fallen out of my seat in shock. Instead, I knew all along Omar wasn't going to last the series and that detracted a little from it.

MWM
03-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Interesting take from Bill Simmons on The Wire when he watched it between seasons 4 and 5. I agree with him here, especially the part with him wondering why SO many more people watched The Sopranos than The Wire, yet The Wire was better in every way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060920

I found it fascinating that, in the same month that "Gridiron Gang" became the No. 1 movie, HBO ignored perpetually crummy ratings and renewed "The Wire" for a fifth and final season. After plowing through the first 37 episodes of "The Wire" in three weeks this summer, I agree with others who argue that it's the most important television show of all-time, surpassing even "The Sopranos" because of its ambition and social relevance. The "Sopranos" worked because the acting and writing was so exceptional, we found ourselves identifying with unlikable characters who were basically unredeemable (save for Tony's wife, his children and his therapist). We excused every horrible action because we grew to like these characters personally over the years. In real life, we probably wouldn't like any of them, and we would definitely be afraid of them. It's fantasy disguised as reality: Lose yourself in the show for an hour, digest it when it's over and move on to something else.

Well, there's nowhere to hide in "The Wire." The characters are stuck in Baltimore, a washed-up city ravaged by drugs, poverty and political corruption. Our closest thing to heroes are renegade detective Jimmy McNulty (a likable, hard-drinking iconoclast who disappears for much of Season 2 and becomes completely irrelevant in Season 4) and a gun-wielding nomad named Omar (a scarfaced Robin Hood, only if Robin Hood was gay and stole from drug dealers). We spend three full seasons watching Baltimore police break the city's biggest drug syndicate ... only to watch an angrier, more ruthless group of rival dealers immediately pop up in its place. The current season centers around four poor teenagers (all of them threatening to succumb to the drug lifestyle) and Baltimore's incompetent school system (which can't even begin to hope to save them), with the show elucidating in painstaking detail why these kids can't be salvaged: They have no role models and no chance to escape, and things will never change because the lead politicians and major police heads only care about themselves. There's no overall plan to save the city, no passionate leader on the horizon, nothing. All of it would take too much effort. Like a dead fish, Baltimore rots from the head down.

It's an exceptional show, and I'm not even sure "exceptional" is a strong enough word. Of course, barely anyone watches it. HBO deliberated over its renewal all summer until the gushing feedback for Season 4 left them no choice. Late to the party, I spent the past few weeks devouring the show, then the next week wondering what took everyone else so long to jump on the bandwagon, and more importantly, what took ME so long to jump on the bandwagon. Two weeks ago in this space, I explained how I'm one of those people who doesn't like when other people tell me, "YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS SHOW!" If anything, that makes me not want to watch it. I like to stumble across these things organically.

Now I'm wondering if I avoided "The Wire" because its central themes -- drugs, corruption, urban decay -- were realities that I simply wanted to ignore. Instead of being haunted by a show like this, it was easier and safer to skip it entirely. Most people feel this way, I'm guessing; it's the only conceivable reason why five times as many people would watch "The Sopranos" over a show that's better in every way. See, when most Americans dabble in inner-city TV shows or movies for our "taste" of street life, we're hoping for the Hollywood version. We don't want despair and decay, we want hope and triumph. We don't want the zero sum game of drug dealers killing each other, we want the Rock coaching juvie kids and turning their lives around in two hours. We want them to win the big football game, we want the movie to end, and we don't want to think about these people ever again.

That's the real reason why "Gridiron Gang" became the No. 1 movie last weekend, and that's the real reason why "The Wire" was barely renewed for a fifth season. Upon further review, maybe the problem isn't Hollywood after all.

MWM
03-04-2012, 05:18 PM
OK, so finally finished and I'll stop derailing the thread. Season 5 - Ugh! It's like they totally forgot all the things that made the show so great.

Spolier alert!!!!

I'm going to treat the whole "fake serial killer" story kind of like I have The Godfather 3 - it just never happened. It was one of the dumbest plot lines of any show I've ever watched and I can't believe it was The Wire where it happened. So as far as I'm concerned, I never saw it.

This season also violated what is perhaps my #1 TV show or movie pet peeve, and that's completely unrealistic courtroom testimony. The prosecutors just say there while Clay Davis went on some several minute long oratory that had nothing to do with what he was asked. He was allowed to say whatever he wanted and then walked away free. Again, I couldn't believe the same people who made the first 4 seasons would be so lazy and allow this to happen.

There were some things I liked about it, but overall this season is not one the show should be very proud of. Had that one been first there would have never been a second, IMO.

Chip R
03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Mike, here's an interesting column by the man himself, David Simon, about Season 5.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-simon/the-wires-final-season-an_b_91926.html

OldRightHander
03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Next week ends the second installment of An Idiot Abroad, the only show my wife and I watch together. It was once again good for a lot of laughs.

Redsfaithful
03-04-2012, 08:48 PM
The prosecutors just say there while Clay Davis went on some several minute long oratory that had nothing to do with what he was asked. He was allowed to say whatever he wanted and then walked away free.

My thought on this at the time was that if anyone would get away with doing something like that it would be Clay Davis.

medford
03-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I know some gave up on The Walking Dead last season; while I enjoyed it, I understood the dislike from many. At any rate, if you're not watching this season, under the new cast, it seems to have taken a nice turn back to what it first was, including a key development in last night's episode that was much needed in my mind. It appears pretty obvious how this season is going to conclude, which is kind of a shame since I never saw last season's ending coming, but it should be fun to watch it unfold.

Redsfaithful
03-05-2012, 04:54 PM
The last two episodes of The Walking Dead have been much better.

I wish they'd go full on Lost with it and focus on one character a week. You could even do backstory episodes like Lost did with many of the characters. Last week's episode was probably the best overall, apart from the very first, and I think it's because they narrowed in on just a few characters.

Last night was the first time I've ever rooted for a 10 year old to get killed and eaten on screen, so there's that.

KoryMac5
03-05-2012, 05:40 PM
The problem for me with last season of The Walking Dead was the search for the little girl that seemed to go on and on and on and on and on..... Good to see them moving back to what made the show so enjoyable the first season.

cinredsfan2000
03-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Next week ends the second installment of An Idiot Abroad, the only show my wife and I watch together. It was once again good for a lot of laughs.

I've just recently started watching this have only saw the last 2 episodes and and always get a laugh at how uncomfortable Carl looks at doing things he ends up doing before his ultimate goal. How was the first season?

Ohayou
03-10-2012, 08:54 PM
@Medford & Kory: it's still Season 2.

OldRightHander
03-11-2012, 01:05 AM
I've just recently started watching this have only saw the last 2 episodes and and always get a laugh at how uncomfortable Carl looks at doing things he ends up doing before his ultimate goal. How was the first season?

Equally hilarious

Sweetstop
03-11-2012, 08:51 AM
just finished watching season four shenanigans of the incorrigible novelist hank moody in "californication".

LoganBuck
03-11-2012, 04:10 PM
South Park returns Wednesday!

medford
03-12-2012, 09:44 AM
@Medford & Kory: it's still Season 2.

OK, technically yes, but anytime a show takes a 4(?) month break b/w episodes, I consider them seperate seasons, even if the producers want to tie them into one.

Ohayou
03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
TV shows go on hiatus all the time. It's nothing new.

medford
03-12-2012, 10:43 AM
I didn't say it was anything new, but when there was a clear build up/climax to the first 6 episodes, then a 4 month break and a new build up and climax, I'm always going to consider them seperate. Even more so when the show runner is switched from the 1st set to the 2nd set of episodes.

and yes, I'll likely feel the same way when Breaking Bad & Mad Men do the same thing later this year.

LoganBuck
03-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I didn't say it was anything new, but when there was a clear build up/climax to the first 6 episodes, then a 4 month break and a new build up and climax, I'm always going to consider them seperate. Even more so when the show runner is switched from the 1st set to the 2nd set of episodes.

and yes, I'll likely feel the same way when Breaking Bad & Mad Men do the same thing later this year.

Agree

Last night was pretty good. We had the big reveal, and set up the season finale pretty well.

bucksfan2
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Haven't seen this mentioned on here before but Bill Simmons is doing a "The Wire" bracket. http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/45474/smacketology-day-6-can-omar-be-beaten

Ohayou
03-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Yeah, well, what you consider right is wrong. ;)

I thought last night was the first truly great episode of the season. It's good to finally see some resolution, things actually happening...

medford
03-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Not sure what to make of last night's ending to "The Walking Dead" Season 2, part 2.

Spoiler alert:

The barn scene/fight was pretty cool, though the deadly accurate shots fired out the windows of moving cars, as well as the ridiculous amount of rounds Hershel's shot gun held were a little extreme. First time I've ever watched "The talking Dead" last night, sounds like they got a little lucky w/ the barn scene and angle they were able to capture as it fell.

I never read the comics, but have heard that the zombie hunter girl was a pretty popular character. Some people that I had talked to about it were wondering when/if she would make her appearance. I'm not sure how it compares to the comics, but I thought that part was well done; combine that w/ the shot of the prison and I'm pretty excited for next season.

medford
03-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Caught up on Homeland. Pretty cool show. Howard Gordon, one of the original 24 guys, is a co-creator.

Finished watching season 1 last night. Loved it, moves up near the top of my current favorite TV shows.

MikeThierry
04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
"Knowledge isn't power. Power is power"

Thank god Game of Thrones is back on. :beerme:

izzy's dad
04-03-2012, 01:36 PM
"Knowledge isn't power. Power is power"

Thank god Game of Thrones is back on. :beerme:

Waiting a week between episodes is too long.

BuckeyeRed27
04-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I know I'm behind but I finally caught up and watched the season finale of "Homeland" last night. Wow. I love this show and that finale was one of the best hours of television I've ever watched. Several of those scenes were brilliant.

MikeThierry
04-05-2012, 01:08 PM
I know I'm behind but I finally caught up and watched the season finale of "Homeland" last night. Wow. I love this show and that finale was one of the best hours of television I've ever watched. Several of those scenes were brilliant.

I've also heard really good things about that show.

medford
04-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I've also heard really good things about that show.

Excellant show, definently worth watching. I think season 2 starts in September.

Raisor
04-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Just watched all 12 episodes of Game of Thrones in the last week. Holy cow that's awesome.

RBA
04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Working my way through season 2 of Breaking Bad via Netflix.

kaldaniels
04-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Working my way through season 2 of Breaking Bad via Netflix.

Enjoy! I almost wish I had never got started watching it on Netflix. Waiting for new episodes each week is quite painful. :D

I told myself for anymore serial TV shows I just need to wait for the series end, then I can just blow through the whole shabam. Waiting is for the birds.

MikeThierry
04-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Just watched all 12 episodes of Game of Thrones in the last week. Holy cow that's awesome.

It's probably my favorite show on TV now. Love the political intrigue and backstabbing.

Puffy
04-10-2012, 10:30 AM

I did the same thing last Sunday. HBO replayed the entire first season before Season 2 premiere and I watched them all.

Great show.

wolfboy
04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Waiting a week between episodes is too long.

Isn't that the truth. So far Season 2 has been excellent.

MikeThierry
04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Isn't that the truth. So far Season 2 has been excellent.

I agree. I haven't read the books so I don't know what will happen. It seems that season 2 is building into an epic ending.

I also read that they renewed the show for a 3rd season. We get at least one more year of murder, debauchery, and political intrigue. Love it!

medford
04-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Haven't started season 2 yet, but I'm interested on what the long term prospects for this show are. Martin say's he's going to write 7 books in this series, but he went 5 years b/w books 3 & 4, and 6 years b/w books 4 & 5. Book 6 is said to be in the works, would (could?) HBO put the pressure on him to release 6 & 7 in a timely fashion so they can work towards 7 seasons of TV?

Season one: 2011
Season two: 2012
Season three: 2013
Season four: 2014 (book 6 released?)
Season five: 2015
Season six: 2016 (book 7 released?)
Season seven: 2017

That would force two years b/w books, perhaps 2.5 years if they pushed book 7's release close to the show's release. Of course that assumes the show remains popular enough to last 7 seasons (the books have remained popular). Would George RR Martin be willing to meet that time frame? Will he actually put a cap on the series, or will he attempt to carry it out as long as he lives?

medford
04-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Oh, and Breaking Bad is my favorite show on TV. I think Season 3 was my favorite, though season 4 probably had the best writing and story line. I'm really hoping they cap it at 5 seasons like planned (though season 5 is being split into two parts airing in 2012 & 2013). There really only seems to be 1 plot line left to finalize before Walt either steps out of the game or gets killed or gets busted. trying to squeeze any more story out of these characters seems like they'd be trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

wolfboy
04-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Haven't started season 2 yet, but I'm interested on what the long term prospects for this show are. Martin say's he's going to write 7 books in this series, but he went 5 years b/w books 3 & 4, and 6 years b/w books 4 & 5. Book 6 is said to be in the works, would (could?) HBO put the pressure on him to release 6 & 7 in a timely fashion so they can work towards 7 seasons of TV?

Season one: 2011
Season two: 2012
Season three: 2013
Season four: 2014 (book 6 released?)
Season five: 2015
Season six: 2016 (book 7 released?)
Season seven: 2017

That would force two years b/w books, perhaps 2.5 years if they pushed book 7's release close to the show's release. Of course that assumes the show remains popular enough to last 7 seasons (the books have remained popular). Would George RR Martin be willing to meet that time frame? Will he actually put a cap on the series, or will he attempt to carry it out as long as he lives?

I'm in the process of reading through the books now. I'm right at the end of the first book. I've heard that the third book is massive, and that HBO will split that book into two seasons. That's a lot of GoT episodes.

Redsfaithful
04-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Supposedly, Martin had a roadblock with books four and five where he changed his plans and had to write through it, and he anticipates the rest of the series will be written faster. Who knows if that is true, I still think he will probably die before he finishes things.

Razor Shines
04-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Oh, and Breaking Bad is my favorite show on TV. I think Season 3 was my favorite, though season 4 probably had the best writing and story line. I'm really hoping they cap it at 5 seasons like planned (though season 5 is being split into two parts airing in 2012 & 2013). There really only seems to be 1 plot line left to finalize before Walt either steps out of the game or gets killed or gets busted. trying to squeeze any more story out of these characters seems like they'd be trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

They already announced this will be the final season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medford
04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
They already announced this will be the final season.

And I hope they hold to that, I fear they'll try to extend it out to a 6th or 7th season to squeeze as much life out of the story to bankroll other AMC shows. I'm not even sure there's enough story left to stretch across the 2 part 5th season (how many shows, 6 & 6?).

I already have in my mind how I would have ended the show, and it would have taken about another 30 minutes tacked on to the end of season 4. I have no doubt the writers will do a better job, I just hope that season 5 doesn't seem stretched out with a bunch of episodes about nothing (aka season 2 & 2a of The Walking Dead)

medford
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm in the process of reading through the books now. I'm right at the end of the first book. I've heard that the third book is massive, and that HBO will split that book into two seasons. That's a lot of GoT episodes.

I'm starting book 3 when season 2 is done airing. Page wise, season 3 doesn't look significantly longer (or shorter) than 1 & 2, content wise I guess I'll find out.

wolfboy
04-11-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm starting book 3 when season 2 is done airing. Page wise, season 3 doesn't look significantly longer (or shorter) than 1 & 2, content wise I guess I'll find out.

I may be mistaken.

wolfboy
04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Looks like it has as much to do with content as length:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/10/game-of-thrones-renewed-3/

Long a fan favorite of the book series, Swords has several dramatic twists and confrontations (so … save the date!). Given the book’s length (the paperback edition is 1,216 pages) and action-packed content, producers plan to break up the novel into two seasons.

medford
04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
On another note:

The Simpson's live in Springfield, ??.....

Answer contained w/n, plus some other interesting notes on the show from an interview with Matt Groening.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Matt-Groening-Reveals-the-Location-of-the-Real-Springfield.html?c=y&page=1

Danny Serafini
04-11-2012, 05:52 PM
And I hope they hold to that, I fear they'll try to extend it out to a 6th or 7th season to squeeze as much life out of the story to bankroll other AMC shows. I'm not even sure there's enough story left to stretch across the 2 part 5th season (how many shows, 6 & 6?)

The last run is 16 episodes, so 8 and 8 I'd guess. I hadn't heard before that it would be split across two years, not very happy with that.

Ohayou
04-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I will be very disappointed if they don't revisit the Gray Matter storyline.

Roy Tucker
04-18-2012, 01:24 PM
I've really liked "Raising Hope" the last 2 years.

But after watching the last 2 finale shows, I'm wondering what they did with the writers that had written all the previous shows. Those were 2 really stupid shows and bore no resemblance to any of its previous Raising Hopes.

HeatherC1212
04-19-2012, 11:45 AM
I didn't think I would like it but I'm loving Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23 right now. It's very quirky and a little out there but also very very funny. If ABC would put that show back to back with Happy Endings (which I also love), that would be one hilarious hour of television! :laugh:

MikeThierry
04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
I've just started watching Mad Men. After watching the first couple of episodes, I question where have I been all this time. What an amazing show. Don Drapper is awesome :laugh:

gilpdawg
04-19-2012, 11:45 PM
I've just started watching Mad Men. After watching the first couple of episodes, I question where have I been all this time. What an amazing show. Don Drapper is awesome :laugh:

You ain't seen nothin yet bro.

/we just had a BTO moment.

medford
04-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Just finished season 4 last night, season 5 is up in que on my DVR.

MikeThierry
04-20-2012, 10:44 AM
You ain't seen nothin yet bro.

/we just had a BTO moment.

I just got finished with the first season. The last episode "The Wheel" is possibly one of the best season finale's I have ever seen. It was almost flawless in its production and the acting was top notch.

Sweetstop
04-21-2012, 08:48 AM
On another note:

The Simpson's live in Springfield, ??.....

Answer contained w/n, plus some other interesting notes on the show from an interview with Matt Groening.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Matt-Groening-Reveals-the-Location-of-the-Real-Springfield.html?c=y&page=1

while trying to visit the land of nod last night, i was listening to bbc world service and heard a replay of an old interview w/ groening, who was talking about being from springfield, oregon, and characters all being named after his own family..

MikeThierry
04-22-2012, 11:17 PM
I just got finished watching the latest Game of Thrones episode and at the end, was the WTF moment of the year. I know she's a witch but dang, lol.

11larkin11
04-24-2012, 12:27 AM
I just got finished watching the latest Game of Thrones episode and at the end, was the WTF moment of the year. I know she's a witch but dang, lol.

I've read the books but my roommates haven't, so I get to sit there and laugh to myself at their reactions to a lot of moments. I knew that was gonna be one, although I'll only say that didn't exactly happen that way in the book, which I'm fine with.

I'm now officially obsessed with the world of ASOIAF.

improbus
04-25-2012, 08:57 PM

My Mad Men cycle went like this:
1st Episode: This is slow and boring
2nd Episode: Okay...Okay...I'm starting to see something here.
3rd Episode: I need some scotch and some Lucky Strikes
4th Episode: Why didn't I marry a redhead?
5th Episode: So much for going to bed early on Sunday nights.

MikeThierry
04-26-2012, 02:24 AM
My Mad Men cycle went like this:
1st Episode: This is slow and boring
2nd Episode: Okay...Okay...I'm starting to see something here.
3rd Episode: I need some scotch and some Lucky Strikes
4th Episode: Why didn't I marry a redhead?
5th Episode: So much for going to bed early on Sunday nights.

6th Episode: I really have the urge to smoke two packs a day and get smashed by lunch time.

Razor Shines
05-28-2012, 12:01 PM
So Double D is a good guy now? Or did he really just want to win on his own merit?

Todd Gack
05-28-2012, 06:52 PM
I just finished the 4th season of Sons of Anarchy. I thought this show was on the verge of jumping the shark during the 2nd season, but it's pulled itself back quite nicely. I absolutely cannot wait until the 5th season this Fall.

RiverRat13
05-29-2012, 11:02 AM
I just finished the 4th season of Sons of Anarchy. I thought this show was on the verge of jumping the shark during the 2nd season, but it's pulled itself back quite nicely. I absolutely cannot wait until the 5th season this Fall.

I thought the 4th season was by far the weakest and a complete cop-out by Sutter. You can't build the entire season to lead up to only one logical conclusion and then bail on it because you don't want to off one of the biggest characters. He needs to take a cue from Boardwalk Empire on that front.

RiverRat13
05-29-2012, 11:05 AM
So Double D is a good guy now? Or did he really just want to win on his own merit?

I think it was more that he respected Joan. He wanted to pimp Sal out to the Lucky Strike guy out a couple of seasons ago. I know his marriage has changed him to a degree but I don't think any carnation of Don asks Joan to do what she did.

Roy Tucker
05-29-2012, 09:09 PM
I think it was more that he respected Joan. He wanted to pimp Sal out to the Lucky Strike guy out a couple of seasons ago. I know his marriage has changed him to a degree but I don't think any carnation of Don asks Joan to do what she did.

I felt like I needed to take a shower after watching that show. Pete is slime.

Nice bit of editing with the showing of the Don-Joan conversation twice.

Razor Shines
05-29-2012, 10:33 PM

Probably doesn't ever ask Joan but I believe previous Don sides with the other partners in going along. So either he changed or it was about wanting to win it himself. IMO he's pissed because he thinks people are forgetting that he's the great Don Draper and Don Draper owns the room in a pitch.

gilpdawg
05-30-2012, 03:48 AM
I thought the 4th season was by far the weakest and a complete cop-out by Sutter. You can't build the entire season to lead up to only one logical conclusion and then bail on it because you don't want to off one of the biggest characters. He needs to take a cue from Boardwalk Empire on that front.

Absolutely. If next season does the same I'll be out.

And is Mad Men on a mega-roll or what? It's one of the only shows that just keeps getting better this far into the run. This may be my favorite season.

gilpdawg
05-30-2012, 03:55 AM

Don and Joan have always had a mutual (non-sexual) admiration for each other the whole series if you've paid close attention. Best example is "A Guy Walks Into An Advertising Agency" from season 3. There's been other moments as well. As soon as Pete brought it up I knew Don wouldn't be happy. I was surprised Bert went for it. He's usually the voice of reason.

RiverRat13
05-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Don and Joan have always had a mutual (non-sexual) admiration for each other the whole series if you've paid close attention. Best example is "A Guy Walks Into An Advertising Agency" from season 3. There's been other moments as well.

How awesome are Hamm and Hendricks together?

Todd Gack
06-03-2012, 01:14 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you, but he's talked about in interviews how surprised he was at the amount of hate for Clay. So I think that helps build up some more drama for him and I think things could go well with that.

With that said, the show might end up being better with him dead.

Todd Gack
06-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Absolutely. If next season does the same I'll be out.

And is Mad Men on a mega-roll or what? It's one of the only shows that just keeps getting better this far into the run. This may be my favorite season.

I just completed Season 1 and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not trying to get too much 'politcky' with this next statement, but I'm enjoying the parallels of the show with Ayn Rand.

RBA
06-05-2012, 02:14 AM
Anyone that has access to AMC on Demand can now download to DVR Breaking Bad Season 4 Episode 1.

Directv Channel 1254

Note: Only in Standard Definition. (NO HD for now)

I suspect the rest of season 4 will roll out in the coming weeks.

Reds Fanatic
06-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Anyone that has access to AMC on Demand can now download to DVR Breaking Bad Season 4 Episode 1.

Directv Channel 1254

Note: Only in Standard Definition. (NO HD for now)

I suspect the rest of season 4 will roll out in the coming weeks.

For anyone that wants to catch up on Breaking Bad before season 5 starts on July 15th AMC is going to repeat the entire series from the beginning overnights starting next Monday morning (6/11) just after 3 AM. So every night for about 3 weeks they are going to show at least a few episodes overnight. So they will run all 4 seasons consecutively.

So if you set your DVRs it is a good chance for you to catch up on a great show before the new season starts.

Redsfaithful
06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Watched a British 3 part series called Black Mirror last night. Science fiction in the tradition of Twilight Zone. It was phenomenal, one of the best things I've ever seen on television, and I don't say that lightly.

Each episode is a standalone story, and it can be found on YouTube I believe. It runs towards being dark though, especially episode 1, so if you're sensitive you might want to give it a pass.

medford
06-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Breaking Bad: Best Non-HBO (or showtime, Starz, Cinemax, etc... where you can get away with a lot more) Show Ever???

I seriously recommend anyone who hasn't caught the show to set up their DVRs and thank me later (assuming you're not 15, don't think I'd want someone that immature to watch it). This is how my wife and I caught up on the show prior to season 3 (and thru the end of season 3 as we were still working on the DVR several weeks past the end of season 3) It was a serious bummer not having any new shows to watch on any given night we had an hour or two to burn.

MikeThierry
06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Loved the last two episodes of Game of Thrones. The battle of Kings Landing was about as epic as you're going to see in a TV show and the finale to season two was very solid and very good. The White Walkers look like bad, bad, bad dudes.

MWM
06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I agree that Breaking Bad is probably the best non-HBO drama, with the exception of Lost (but that was a polarizing show). I think Mad Men was approaching Breaking Bad territory, but it took a slight step back this season, IMO of course. I think Downton Abbey has the potential to move up the list, but like Mad Men the show has now become massively popular so they'll be making their first season with all the hype now. Will be interesting to see if it maintains what made the first two season so great. I also loved Rescue Me and think it deserves some mention as well.

Puffy
06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Loved the last two episodes of Game of Thrones. The battle of Kings Landing was about as epic as you're going to see in a TV show and the finale to season two was very solid and very good. The White Walkers look like bad, bad, bad dudes.

Yup. I agree wholeheartedly!

Puffy
06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I agree that Breaking Bad is probably the best non-HBO drama, with the exception of Lost (but that was a polarizing show). I think Mad Men was approaching Breaking Bad territory, but it took a slight step back this season, IMO of course. I think Downton Abbey has the potential to move up the list, but like Mad Men the show has now become massively popular so they'll be making their first season with all the hype now. Will be interesting to see if it maintains what made the first two season so great. I also loved Rescue Me and think it deserves some mention as well.

Well, Rescue Me had one bad season as well and then rebounded strongly. Sometimes shows lose their footing. The real good ones rebound most of the time.

WildcatFan
06-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Breaking Bad: Best Non-HBO (or showtime, Starz, Cinemax, etc... where you can get away with a lot more) Show Ever???

I seriously recommend anyone who hasn't caught the show to set up their DVRs and thank me later (assuming you're not 15, don't think I'd want someone that immature to watch it). This is how my wife and I caught up on the show prior to season 3 (and thru the end of season 3 as we were still working on the DVR several weeks past the end of season 3) It was a serious bummer not having any new shows to watch on any given night we had an hour or two to burn.

Short answer: yes. In my opinion, it's the greatest character study in the history of television. It's made me completely justify every decision Walter has made right along with him, and I look back to Season 1 and, just like Walter, I can't figure out how we got here. I just got my Season 4 DVD today so I can catch up just in time for Season 5 live.

Redsfaithful
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Downton Abbey is great, but man it has gotten soapier. It's almost been ticking off soap opera cliches as it's gone on.

I know it essentially is a soap opera, but so is Mad Men - it doesn't mean you have to be so unoriginal.

That being said, I did enjoy it, but I hope they can pull the quality up for next season. Some of the casting has me encouraged.

Outrider
06-10-2012, 01:27 PM
I picked up on Psych this year and I think it's one of the funniest shows ever.

I also enjoy most comedies, Hawaii Five 0, NCIS, NCIS: LA, Person Of Interest, Burn Notice, Suits, and Merlin on Syfy.

MWM
06-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Just walked by D'Angelo Barksdale in the ATL airport. Had an interesting hat on. He's definitely very short. :)

Ohayou
06-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I still can't believe how old he is. You should have asked him about Wallace.

Chip R
06-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Just walked by D'Angelo Barksdale in the ATL airport. Had an interesting hat on. He's definitely very short. :)

Great singer, though.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/6w5b

MWM
06-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Ha! I was on the escalator heading to the tram. He'd just gotten off and was getting on it going up.

BuckeyeRed27
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Anbody watch "The Newsroom" last night?

I didn't love it. I'll watch a few more episodes, but it needs to get a lot better.

Caveat Emperor
06-25-2012, 01:18 PM

I didn't love it. I'll watch a few more episodes, but it needs to get a lot better.

The writing is snappy, but I hate the fact that they're covering real news stories as opposed to setting things in a fictional universe where they can at least preserve some of the drama as to how things turn out. Also, the show really does feel like "The West Wing Meets CNN" -- Daniels is Bartlett, Sam Waterston is Leo, the female producer is Toby, the kid she brings is Josh, and the girl is Donna. Hell, they even gave Daniels a smoking problem and showed signs that he's going to be suffering from Parkinsons.

And, really, Hollywood needs to stop writing 20-something young professional characters. They're terrible at doing it convincingly.

Redsfaithful
06-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Watched season 1 of Girls over the weekend, and I found it hysterical.

GIK
06-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Agreed. Liked it, but didn't love it. I too am willing to give it a chance, though.

Really enjoying "Longmire" on A&E, though! :thumbup:

Chip R
06-26-2012, 10:57 AM
The writing is snappy, but I hate the fact that they're covering real news stories as opposed to setting things in a fictional universe where they can at least preserve some of the drama as to how things turn out. Also, the show really does feel like "The West Wing Meets CNN" -- Daniels is Bartlett, Sam Waterston is Leo, the female producer is Toby, the kid she brings is Josh, and the girl is Donna. Hell, they even gave Daniels a smoking problem and showed signs that he's going to be suffering from Parkinsons.

And, really, Hollywood needs to stop writing 20-something young professional characters. They're terrible at doing it convincingly.

When Aaron Sorkin repeats himself

http://youtu.be/S78RzZr3IwI

reds1869
06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Watched season 1 of Girls over the weekend, and I found it hysterical.

I loved the first season of Girls and hope the series sticks around for a while. I've tried to like Veep but it just doesn't work for me. The Newsroom could end up being pretty good or pretty overbearing (or both).

yab1112
06-26-2012, 01:09 PM
I liked Newsroom.

I guess I can see why people wouldn’t like the very Sorkin-ness of it but it’s my cup of tea and I’ll have another one thank you very much. Its future success largely depends on how the episodes are structured. If every episode is filled with those big sweeping monologues then that’ll get old real fast. If that’s just in the pilot to set the scene then I’m excited.

(Best comment I saw on another site though "There were large chunks of this, the speeches mainly, where only Emily Mortimer’s bone structure kept me watching" :thumbup:)

Redsfaithful
06-26-2012, 03:10 PM
I loved the first season of Girls and hope the series sticks around for a while.

I read it was renewed for Season 2. I had a weird experience with that show, because I kept reading on the internet that all the characters were unlikable, etc., so I put off watching it. Turned out I disagree pretty strongly with a lot of the things I'd read and enjoyed it a ton.

vaticanplum
06-26-2012, 06:26 PM
I read it was renewed for Season 2. I had a weird experience with that show, because I kept reading on the internet that all the characters were unlikable, etc., so I put off watching it. Turned out I disagree pretty strongly with a lot of the things I'd read and enjoyed it a ton.

I also watched the first season over the weekend and I completely agree with you. I'd heard so much criticism and was shocked at how much of it I felt was unwarranted and nitpicky. The characters are likable precisely because they're very flawed and realistic. Frankly, I'd wager that a lot of the backlash comes from the fact that the lead character/writer/creator is not traditionally pretty, but that's probably a topic for another forum.

This is not a show for everyone, but I think it's unique and well done. Sidebar for something I *hadn't* heard about the show, and was floored by: Zosia Mamet (Shoshana) is terrific. Impeccable comedic timing and still so genuine. She completely steals every scene she's in.

I also watched an entire season of Veep over the weekend and also enjoyed it. I don't have a television, so when I get in the presence of one I overdose.

Redsfaithful
06-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Frankly, I'd wager that a lot of the backlash comes from the fact that the lead character/writer/creator is not traditionally pretty, but that's probably a topic for another forum.

I think you nailed it, which is so silly. It also got nailed for not being racially inclusive, which is just dumb. I think people were looking really hard for things to complain about since it was a female centric show. Most online comments about it are toxic, even in places where I normally see more elevated discussion.

Chip R
06-27-2012, 09:52 AM
The first episode of The Newsroom is available on YouTube.

The Newsroom Season 1: Episode 1 - Full Episode - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U4ZhFDFYvE&feature=youtu.be)

BuckeyeRed27
06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
I think you nailed it, which is so silly. It also got nailed for not being racially inclusive, which is just dumb. I think people were looking really hard for things to complain about since it was a female centric show. Most online comments about it are toxic, even in places where I normally see more elevated discussion.

I'm really mixed on "Girls". I find it interesting, but I wouldn't say I like it.

I'm not a huge Lena Dunham fan. She has a movie called "Tiny Furniture" that is very Girlsesque and I hated it. I do like the other characters in the show though, which is probably why I keep watching.

Redsfaithful
06-27-2012, 04:26 PM
I need to watch Tiny Furniture and see what I think.

Dunham actually came across as really likable to me, even though she's playing a seriously self absorbed and flawed character.

I don't think we're supposed to take her character seriously most of the time, but I think a lot of people on the internet do.

"I may be the voice of my generation!"

Sweetstop
06-27-2012, 05:15 PM
isn't one of the girls in "girls" brian williams' (nbc anchor) daughter?

Brutus
06-27-2012, 05:22 PM
The number of shows I invest time into watching during any one season can typically be counted on one hand. I love Big Bang Theory as my sitcom fix but that's been about it for the past couple of years for me.

This year, though, I really got into Shameless on Showtime and especially Person of Interest. Shameless is pretty racy, but if you aren't easily offended by gratuitous sex, language and occasional violence, it's very unique in its warped humor.

Person of Interest, though, has the chance to come the closest to LOST for me as far as must-watch. At first, the show seemed too much like your token CSI, Law & Order or other show focusing on crime-solving, but it was clear as the year went on there is a much deeper story arc and I thought the last 6-8 episodes of the season really were fantastic.

I guess now I have to hold myself over until September for POI and January for Shameless.

Redsfaithful
06-27-2012, 05:28 PM
isn't one of the girls in "girls" brian williams' (nbc anchor) daughter?

They are pretty much all someone's daughter. David Mamet's daughter is another, Bad Company's drummer is another. Dunham's mom is a famous artist. That was some of the criticism about the show too I think, which might be valid if they were bad actresses, but they aren't.

As Vaticanplum mentioned, Mamet's daughter is terrific especially. I read somewhere she was supposed to be a very minor character but she was so good they made more of a role for her.

vaticanplum
06-27-2012, 08:30 PM
They are pretty much all someone's daughter. David Mamet's daughter is another, Bad Company's drummer is another. Dunham's mom is a famous artist. That was some of the criticism about the show too I think, which might be valid if they were bad actresses, but they aren't.

As Vaticanplum mentioned, Mamet's daughter is terrific especially. I read somewhere she was supposed to be a very minor character but she was so good they made more of a role for her.

The feminist in me has been a bit perturbed that she's so often cited as Mamet's daughter, only because she's also the daughter of an Academy Award-nominated actress, Lindsay Crouse -- arguably even more relevant if one wants to make the nepotism argument. Also, Lindsay Crouse was in Slap Shot, and I freaking love me some Slap Shot.

Regardless, she's just so good in a role that could so easily be one-dimensional. I've come across Mamet's kids (from both marriages) as they're all working in the arts with various degrees of talent, so I pre-judged and did not expect this girl to be as good as she is.

Redsfaithful
06-27-2012, 09:27 PM
I didn't know that about Crouse!

Razor Shines
06-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Re:Girls

I'm sure it's out there but I haven't seen much criticism for "girls". I haven't looked for any either. All my favorite comedians, who are mostly "alt comedians" whatever that is, gushed over "girls" all season. I finally watched a few episodes and it was ok, maybe I expected too much.

Veep on the other hand I loved. JLD, Tony Hale and Matt Walsh? Yeah they could squeeze a laugh or two out of me. That's one show that I rewatch each episode at some point and laugh at jokes I missed on the first pass.

vaticanplum
06-28-2012, 08:15 AM
I didn't know that about Crouse!

That's because the media only talks about one parent!

Seriously: Slap Shot!!

Sweetstop
06-28-2012, 08:22 AM

yep. i saw them all on "the view".

Sweetstop
06-28-2012, 08:24 AM
summer fun guilty pleasure....enjoying "master chef" w/ gordon, elliott and joe.

BuckeyeRed27
06-28-2012, 12:45 PM
summer fun guilty pleasure....enjoying "master chef" w/ gordon, elliott and joe.

Never got into Master Chef, but I do love Hell's Kitchen.

RichRed
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
That's because the media only talks about one parent!

Seriously: Slap Shot!!

"Slap Shot" is amazing. And I can't believe I didn't make the connection before today that she's the same woman who played Dr. Walsh in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." Shame on me.

11larkin11
07-16-2012, 02:53 AM
So, what's everyone's opinion on The Newsroom? I personally absolutely love it, but it seems most reviewers and critics hate it.

sonny
07-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Never got into Master Chef, but I do love Hell's Kitchen.

I was a big Hells Kitchen fan and didn't much care for Masterchef until this season. I've flip flopped mostly because with HK it's not so much about the food as it is with the crazy personalities. MC is the opposite.

BuckeyeRed27
07-18-2012, 02:41 PM
So, what's everyone's opinion on The Newsroom? I personally absolutely love it, but it seems most reviewers and critics hate it.

I'm still on the fence about it. I am starting to like some of the characters and if I keep watching the show it will be because of that.

The revisionist history still really bothers me. It seems to always come across as some what preachy I guess.

Sweetstop
07-18-2012, 05:40 PM
i love master chef, and this season is great...hell's kitchen is a train wreck, as per usual.

also, finishing up season 1 game of thrones...peter dinklage is a sexy dude. :)

yab1112
07-29-2012, 10:22 AM

I like it but then again, I'm a sucker for Sorkin dialogue. I think the acting is great and I don't think I've ever watched a show about producing the news so the environment is somewhat original for tv.

Sweetstop
08-10-2012, 05:49 PM
2nd season of "treme"...love the music and wendell pierce, who makes me determined to finally watch "the wire".

Chip R
08-11-2012, 10:42 AM
2nd season of "treme"...love the music and wendell pierce, who makes me determined to finally watch "the wire".

You'll enjoy it. I've DVRd the whole series for my girlfriend and we have watched the 1st season. Hopefully we will get Season 2 watched before fall.

Roy Tucker
08-11-2012, 01:36 PM
That new Matthew Perry show "Go On" was pretty good.

Perry can carry a lead role. Some snarky humor and a little pathos and an ensemble cast that might be good. It's got promise.

Stray
08-18-2012, 01:10 AM
A friend recently got me into The Wire. I'm in the middle of season 2 right now, it's pretty addicting.

Redhook
08-18-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm excited for Season 4 of The League to start next month. What an awesome show.

vaticanplum
08-21-2012, 10:51 PM
When Six Feet Under first aired, I saw everything but the last season. Since that was several years ago, I've spent the summer rewatching the whole series, and just finished the final season tonight. Good lord. I watched the last four episodes within the last two days, and I cried so hard I now have a tiny broken blood vessel under my eye.

R_Webb18
08-21-2012, 11:38 PM
any1 watch homeland? good show

Redsfaithful
08-22-2012, 04:55 PM
When Six Feet Under first aired, I saw everything but the last season. Since that was several years ago, I've spent the summer rewatching the whole series, and just finished the final season tonight. Good lord. I watched the last four episodes within the last two days, and I cried so hard I now have a tiny broken blood vessel under my eye.

That finale is probably my favorite finale of all time. Show was exhausting at times, but they made it worth it.

BuckeyeRed27
08-22-2012, 07:12 PM

I think it's the best show on TV right now. Can't wait for it to come back.

Razor Shines
08-22-2012, 07:23 PM

Somewhere earlier in the thread I posted about it. I love it.

improbus
09-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Anyone other Whovians here? It's good to see the Doctor back. I'm never crazy about Dalek episodes. I understand they are paying homage to the old series by keeping them, but they tend to follow a somewhat similar trajectory.

But, that being said. I really enjoyed Souffle Girl. She was a fun use of the Daleks.

Razor Shines
09-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Damnit. How am I just now finding out how great Terriers is?

gilpdawg
09-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Damnit. How am I just now finding out how great Terriers is?

Terriers was fantastic. I'm still mad they only got one season.

I have to stay out of the thread because I started late and I'm only in season 3 and that thread has spoilers galore, but I'm hopelessly hooked on Breaking Bad.

redsfanmia
09-08-2012, 06:40 PM
That finale is probably my favorite finale of all time. Show was exhausting at times, but they made it worth it.

I loved the first 2-3 seasons, kind of lost interest when Nate survieded the surgery it was a great finale though.

LoganBuck
10-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Just finished the season 2 finale of AMC's "Hell on Wheels". I don't know why I watch that show. All the characters individually are really good pieces to a story. The fact that the writers haven't figured out how to make a coherent story out of all those good characters, and such potentially interesting subject matter is baffling. The season finale was a flaming pile of dung. I see it being canceled. What a let down.

BuckeyeRed27
10-08-2012, 01:09 PM
The first episode of Homeland was a little slow as they got the season set up. Last night was awesome. The whole scene in Beruit going after Nazir and then Carrie escaping was so well done.

Razor Shines
10-08-2012, 10:24 PM
The first episode of Homeland was a little slow as they got the season set up. Last night was awesome. The whole scene in Beruit going after Nazir and then Carrie escaping was so well done.

Yes, now I can delete it from my DVR without watching it, saves 45 minutes.

RichRed
10-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Terriers was fantastic. I'm still mad they only got one season.

Add me to the "Terriers" fan club. It's such a shame this show couldn't have been given more time to find an audience. It's incredibly well done.

Joseph
10-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Just finished the season 2 finale of AMC's "Hell on Wheels". I don't know why I watch that show. All the characters individually are really good pieces to a story. The fact that the writers haven't figured out how to make a coherent story out of all those good characters, and such potentially interesting subject matter is baffling. The season finale was a flaming pile of dung. I see it being canceled. What a let down.

Agreed. Didn't even bother with season two.

LoganBuck
10-29-2012, 09:24 PM
On Twitter Michael Ausiello, TV critic/reporter, is reporting that Hell on Wheels is coming back for a third season. I don't get it.

Redsfaithful
10-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Anyone ever watch Battlestar Galactica? I'm on season 2 and it is shockingly good. I remember hearing it was one of the best shows on tv when it aired and being skeptical, but it is terrific (so far anyway.)

westofyou
10-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Agreed. Didn't even bother with season two.

I bailed as well, so much promise so much crisp instead

medford
10-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Anyone watching American Horror Story:Asylum? I didn't see season 1, but I heard that they're using the same characters, but in different roles for season 2? that would seem akward, but since I didn't see season 1, I don't have that issue. I've seen the first 1.5 episodes this season, and its pretty good at striking up some irrational fear and nervousness.

RichRed
10-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Anyone ever watch Battlestar Galactica? I'm on season 2 and it is shockingly good. I remember hearing it was one of the best shows on tv when it aired and being skeptical, but it is terrific (so far anyway.)

Great show. Unexpectedly gritty and very well written.

medford
11-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Anyone watching American Horror Story:Asylum? I didn't see season 1, but I heard that they're using the same characters, but in different roles for season 2? that would seem akward, but since I didn't see season 1, I don't have that issue. I've seen the first 1.5 episodes this season, and its pretty good at striking up some irrational fear and nervousness.

Seen a handful more episodes and I'm really liking it. Sure its got a lot of the cheesy horro movie cliche's and plot flaws, but like I said in terms of striking up some irrational fear and nervousness, it does a remarkable job for a standard cable TV show.

BuckeyeRed27
11-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Seen a handful more episodes and I'm really liking it. Sure its got a lot of the cheesy horro movie cliche's and plot flaws, but like I said in terms of striking up some irrational fear and nervousness, it does a remarkable job for a standard cable TV show.

It always amazes me that this show was created by the same guy that does Glee.

BuckeyeRed27
12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Homeland Season 2 finale this Sunday. This is going to be a really important episode for this show. I've really liked this season, but if they don't play this right it could be a "jump the shark" 24 type moment.

Redsfaithful
12-13-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm sad to say I think Homeland already jumped the shark. I didn't even bother watching this week's episode, at some point I'll finish out season 2 but I'm in no hurry. It basically turned into 24, and I thought I'd signed up for something a little better.

Redsfaithful
12-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Wife and I started watching Sherlock, and I'd highly recommend it just based on the first episode. Really clever.

joshnky
12-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Wife and I started watching Sherlock, and I'd highly recommend it just based on the first episode. Really clever.

Totally agree. The worst part is that there aren't many episodes.

R_Webb18
12-13-2012, 09:16 PM
arrow is good

Sweetstop
01-04-2013, 04:58 PM
free mr. bates!

yeah, i'm one of them. :)

BuckeyeRed27
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
So this is a shameless plug, but my wife is a producer on NBC's new show. It is called "Deception" and it stars Megan Good, Victor Garber, Tate Donovan and eventually John Laroquette. It starts Monday at 10pm. I've seen the first 6 episodes and I promise it's worth your time. So please watch and DVR it and watch it again and tell your friends to do the same :)

WMR
01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
So this is a shameless plug, but my wife is a producer on NBC's new show. It is called "Deception" and it stars Megan Good, Victor Garber, Tate Donovan and eventually John Laroquette. It starts Monday at 10pm. I've seen the first 6 episodes and I promise it's worth your time. So please watch and DVR it and watch it again and tell your friends to do the same :)

We're a nielsen family... exactly how much is it worth to ya? :D

WMR
01-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Is anyone watching American Horror Story this season? First season was amazingly good...

This season is good, I suppose, but it's a ton of what I would have to describe as "torture porn." I'm amazed what they can show on cable nowadays...

reds1869
01-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Is anyone watching American Horror Story this season? First season was amazingly good...

This season is good, I suppose, but it's a ton of what I would have to describe as "torture porn." I'm amazed what they can show on cable nowadays...

I'm really enjoying this season. Very different from the first and I suspect the third season will be completely different from the second. I liked the first season better but appreciate what they've done with the same cast this year.

vaticanplum
01-06-2013, 02:17 PM

Every time someone mentions Battlestar Galactica, I think of this:

http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/videos/portlandia-battlestar-galactica

I know this has been well-covered on this board, but I've just started watching Breaking Bad. I'm four episodes in and I already feel like I need to go on anti-anxiety medication.

Chip R
01-06-2013, 06:15 PM
I know this has been well-covered on this board, but I've just started watching Breaking Bad. I'm four episodes in and I already feel like I need to go on anti-anxiety medication.

Just you wait. I watched the pilot and most of seasons 2-4 and I love it.

vaticanplum
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Just you wait. I watched the pilot and most of seasons 2-4 and I love it.

Oh I do love it. It's just EXTREMELY STRESSFUL. I suppose it's good television when you can legitimately feel your heart racing.

What happened to the rest of season 1 for you?

Chip R
01-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Oh I do love it. It's just EXTREMELY STRESSFUL. I suppose it's good television when you can legitimately feel your heart racing.

What happened to the rest of season 1 for you?

I only had so much DVR space and only so much time and I read somewhere that you could skip watching the rest of Season 1 and be OK. I'm sure they will show it again this summer before they show the last episodes.

BuckeyeRed27
01-07-2013, 05:52 PM
We're a nielsen family... exactly how much is it worth to ya? :D

It is worth three Schrute Bucks.

Remdiner everyone...10PM tonight NBC...Deception premiere!

Puffy
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Justified returns tonight.

Awe. Some.

Sweetstop
01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
great big shout out for "shameless"...and it's actually filmed in chicago (wm. h. macy is world's worst father and best drunk..can't believe no one around here watches it...british version (only 1 season) is a must also.)

...as opposed to "justified", which is some alternate kentucky...i do love raylan, though.

Puffy
01-14-2013, 04:14 PM
great big shout out for "shameless"...and it's actually filmed in chicago (wm. h. macy is world's worst father and best drunk..can't believe no one around here watches it...british version (only 1 season) is a must also.)

...as opposed to "justified", which is some alternate kentucky...i do love raylan, though.

Showtime had a free preview this weekend. They had a Season 3 Marathon of Shameless on Saturday (while I was home on couch hungover). I am now a Shameless fan and ordered Showtime mainly for this show. Emmy Rossum - - yum.

Now I have to hit up iTunes for Homeland so I can start to watch that before Season 3 starts (I think I have until Fall) and maybe Dexter (but that is 7 seasons so I might not watch all seven seasons)

Sweetstop
01-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Showtime had a free preview this weekend. They had a Season 3 Marathon of Shameless on Saturday (while I was home on couch hungover). I am now a Shameless fan and ordered Showtime mainly for this show. Emmy Rossum - - yum.

Now I have to hit up iTunes for Homeland so I can start to watch that before Season 3 starts (I think I have until Fall) and maybe Dexter (but that is 7 seasons so I might not watch all seven seasons)

told ya..:) lip is my favorite "shameless" character.

"homeland" is very good. i like it better than i expected.

gotten kind of tired of "dexter" after several seasons ..started season colin hanks is in, but sort of gave up on it.

dougdirt
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
told ya..:) lip is my favorite "shameless" character.

"homeland" is very good. i like it better than i expected.

gotten kind of tired of "dexter" after several seasons ..started season colin hanks is in, but sort of gave up on it.

I gave up on Shameless at some point in season 2. It was good, but wasn't worth the trouble of seeing it.

I also gave up on Dexter 2 episodes into the Colin Hanks season.

dougdirt
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
I am finishing up Warehouse 13 tonight after football. I have two episodes left. After that, I am starting on Modern Family.

R_Webb18
01-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Okay I'm gonna guess I watch more TV than just about anyone. Some current shows I suggest.

Person Of Interest
Grimm
Suits
Justified
Arrow

dougdirt
01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Okay I'm gonna guess I watch more TV than just about anyone. Some current shows I suggest.

Suits

Love it. Really interested to see where things go this season, particularly with Mike.

JB12
01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
It is worth three Schrute Bucks.

Remdiner everyone...10PM tonight NBC...Deception premiere!

+1 For Schrute Bucks!!! :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpemnaYWWVQ

(one of my favorite scenes from the office...it's a deleted scene as well)

R_Webb18
01-31-2013, 12:29 AM
i liked fx new show The Americans

gilpdawg
01-31-2013, 01:57 AM

Yeah, I'm hearing good things about that. I have it recorded.

Chip R
01-31-2013, 09:33 AM

I liked it too. There were a few things I had problems with. They should have got younger actors to play Elizabeth and Phillip when they first met. Also, if those are their natural kids, they (especially Elizabeth) don't treat them with much affection. I think the FBI guy moving in could have waited an episode or two.

I think Elizabeth is going to be a character with a lot of potential. Very loyal to Mother Russia but she's willing to let Phillip slide for his screw-up. She's protective of her kids but not particularly affectionate. She has a history of sexual abuse and doesn't seem to be very affectionate towards Phillip even after almost 20 years of marriage. They don't necessarily have to be the Taylors from Friday Night Lights but after that long, there should be some affection there that just doesn't come from him killing her rapist. I can also see why Phillip would want to turn but something like that should be a little more gradual. But I really liked the show and I'll continue watching.

MWM
02-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Boooooooooooo to Dan Stevens. I think that pretty much marks the end of Downton Abbey.

westofyou
02-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Boooooooooooo to Dan Stevens. I think that pretty much marks the end of Downton Abbey.

No hardly, they will continue with new plots, it is after all a soap opera in a way they will find conflict to lean on

MWM
02-18-2013, 09:21 AM
The show will continue and I'll give it a chance, but I can't conceive the types of story lines that will make it as compelling to me to keep watching. Maybe they'll surprise me, but I think they'll wind up going way to soap opera for my taste.

RichRed
02-19-2013, 02:12 PM
I liked it too. There were a few things I had problems with. They should have got younger actors to play Elizabeth and Phillip when they first met. Also, if those are their natural kids, they (especially Elizabeth) don't treat them with much affection. I think the FBI guy moving in could have waited an episode or two.

I think Elizabeth is going to be a character with a lot of potential. Very loyal to Mother Russia but she's willing to let Phillip slide for his screw-up. She's protective of her kids but not particularly affectionate. She has a history of sexual abuse and doesn't seem to be very affectionate towards Phillip even after almost 20 years of marriage. They don't necessarily have to be the Taylors from Friday Night Lights but after that long, there should be some affection there that just doesn't come from him killing her rapist. I can also see why Phillip would want to turn but something like that should be a little more gradual. But I really liked the show and I'll continue watching.

The affection between the two seems to be growing, which as one pundit said, strengthens the show rather than weakens it. I think this show is great; one of the best new dramas I've seen in a long time. I'm worried that F/X has a notoriously itchy trigger finger when it comes to canceling shows, so I'm hopeful that the ratings will justify keeping it around.

RichRed
02-19-2013, 02:16 PM
The show will continue and I'll give it a chance, but I can't conceive the types of story lines that will make it as compelling to me to keep watching. Maybe they'll surprise me, but I think they'll wind up going way to soap opera for my taste.

I get the feeling Stevens, et al, didn't anticipate the extent of the show's popularity and that it was intended to be a shorter series about modern life colliding with the old ways of the grand British houses. Now that that's essentially been covered, he'll have to move the goalposts and it will be a challenge to keep it interesting.

New York Red
02-19-2013, 05:57 PM
My two new additions to the DVR rotation are The Americans and The Following. Both are really, really good.

BuckeyeRed27
02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
My two new additions to the DVR rotation are The Americans and The Following. Both are really, really good.

I've really liked The Americans so far.
I'm mixed on The Following. It's a cool idea, but the character development is terrible and it is just turning into a serialized cop drama, which if it takes that path I'll stop watching.

LoganBuck
02-20-2013, 12:46 PM
I've really liked The Americans so far.
I'm mixed on The Following. It's a cool idea, but the character development is terrible and it is just turning into a serialized cop drama, which if it takes that path I'll stop watching.

Agree on both counts. The episode of The Following was so bad this week, I am getting ready to give it up.

RichRed
02-20-2013, 02:07 PM
I've only watched parts of two episodes of "The Following" but I wasn't impressed. It's plenty violent but with plot holes you could drive a truck through. And Kevin Bacon, who I usually like, seems like he's mailing it in on this show.

New York Red
02-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Agree on both counts. The episode of The Following was so bad this week, I am getting ready to give it up.
I agree on last night's episode. I thought the first few shows were really good though. The only thing I see being a problem is how long can they stay with the cult following theme? First the son is kidnapped, then as he's being rescued the mother is kidnapped. What happens when they rescue her, the kid gets taken again? Doesn't seem to be too many available angles.

LoganBuck
02-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Last night's episode of The Americans was very strong.

Chip R
02-22-2013, 09:05 AM
The affection between the two seems to be growing, which as one pundit said, strengthens the show rather than weakens it. I think this show is great; one of the best new dramas I've seen in a long time. I'm worried that F/X has a notoriously itchy trigger finger when it comes to canceling shows, so I'm hopeful that the ratings will justify keeping it around.

Not to worry. It's been renewed for a second season.

http://www.hitfix.com/news/fx-renews-the-americans-for-season-2

WMR
03-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Did the following actually jump the shark by the fifth episode?

So many cringeworthy moments...

R_Webb18
03-03-2013, 10:17 PM
any survivor fans here besides me

also if so i wonder if anyone knows the player from cincinnati here

coachpipe
03-04-2013, 11:56 AM
any survivor fans here besides me

also if so i wonder if anyone knows the player from cincinnati here

Is that the show where they take a bunch of Americans and send them off to try and survive in another country...where other people live?

coachpipe
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM

I agree..That episode was so bad. I think im done watching. 2 episodes ago I was thinking the show was getting worse, but decided to stick around for a few more episodes. Then the next episode was pretty good so I thought maybe this is going to start to get better, but this last episode was just awful

Razor Shines
03-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Is that the show where they take a bunch of Americans and send them off to try and survive in another country...where other people live?

Oh Daniel Tosh joined the board.

jimbo
03-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Has anyone here seen the new medical drama on TNT called Monday Mornings? I normally don't get into these types of shows but caught the pilot and have begun to really look forward to it every week. The ratings haven't been great so not sure if it'll get renewed, but was wondering if anyone here liked it.

LoganBuck
03-26-2013, 01:23 PM
I still had the DVR set on The Following, so I caught up this weekend. While the story telling has picked up, this show asks you to believe that a group of certified whack jobs, could seamlessly pull all this off. I watch it more out of annoyance to see what insane steps the writers are going to take, than for the actual value of the show.

Raisor
03-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Game of Thrones in four days!

Puffy
03-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Game of Thrones in four days!

I have already decided that I watch Game of Thrones at regular time and Shameless at 10:00 instead of other way around. Sundays just got more interesting!

coachpipe
03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I still had the DVR set on The Following, so I caught up this weekend. While the story telling has picked up, this show asks you to believe that a group of certified whack jobs, could seamlessly pull all this off. I watch it more out of annoyance to see what insane steps the writers are going to take, than for the actual value of the show.

Ha this is exactly how I feel. But then I get so confused after I watch it and then check facebook and everyone and their mom say wow that was such a great episode of the following. Its so amazing probably the best show on TV.. not even close

coachpipe
03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
I have already decided that I watch Game of Thrones at regular time and Shameless at 10:00 instead of other way around. Sundays just got more interesting!

This guy knows what hes doing

R_Webb18
03-27-2013, 11:51 AM
just finished the finale season of the shield. amazing show and pretty messed up.

coachpipe
03-27-2013, 01:32 PM
just finished the finale season of the shield. amazing show and pretty messed up.

I was bored the other day and rewatched the pilot episode. But man, I really hate the way that show ended. Great Great Great show nonetheless

R_Webb18
04-05-2013, 03:07 PM
i hope people are watching game of thrones. great show

BuckeyeRed27
04-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Has anyone watched Orphan Black on BBC America? I watched the pilot last night and loved it. Very cool concept.

coachpipe
04-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Anyone watch Revolution?

R_Webb18
04-10-2013, 10:53 PM
i do but im few episode behind

HeatherC1212
04-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Anyone watch Revolution?

I've been watching that one this year and I'm still enjoying it. I hated that it was off the air for so long but it's been solid since it came back and it will be nice to watch the rest of the season without any breaks. :)

Roy Tucker
04-19-2013, 09:27 PM
I've been watching "Nashville". Not hip and a guilty pleasure. But good plot lines and the music ain't bad.

westofyou
04-19-2013, 09:30 PM
I've been watching "Nashville". Not hip and a guilty pleasure. But good plot lines and the music ain't bad.

My wife watches that, I pass and watch hockey

WildcatFan
04-22-2013, 10:54 AM

I actually really like the music. The girl who plays Scarlett can really belt, and I'd watch Connie Britton do just about anything.

Also, a fun fact, the guy who plays Deacon was on Whose Line Is It Anyway? in the Drew Carey days.

coachpipe
04-22-2013, 04:20 PM
New show called Rectify to premier tonight on Sundance Channel. Same writers as breaking bad

MikeThierry
04-23-2013, 01:19 AM
The new season of Game of Thrones is great. The last episode is one of my favorites.

coachpipe
04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
The new season of Game of Thrones is great. The last episode is one of my favorites.

Game of Thrones is one of my Favorite shows of all time. I just Wish HBO would quit dic**** us around. The show starts at 9:05 and ends at 9:55. I want those 10 minutes

MikeThierry
04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Game of Thrones is one of my Favorite shows of all time. I just Wish HBO would quit dic**** us around. The show starts at 9:05 and ends at 9:55. I want those 10 minutes

Agreed. I'm sure Joffrey has something to do with the missing 10 minutes, being the brat he is. My question to everyone who follows the show: Have you come across anyone who actually enjoys Joffrey? He's a great character, don't get me wrong, but he is by far one of the most hated characters I've seen on a TV show. Everyone I talk to thinks of different horrible deaths to give him in the show.

coachpipe
04-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Agreed. I'm sure Joffrey has something to do with the missing 10 minutes, being the brat he is. My question to everyone who follows the show: Have you come across anyone who actually enjoys Joffrey? He's a great character, don't get me wrong, but he is by far one of the most hated characters I've seen on a TV show. Everyone I talk to thinks of different horrible deaths to give him in the show.

I dont know a single person that doesnt want that little brat to die every episode. Him and his incest loving mother

MikeThierry
04-23-2013, 02:59 PM
I dont know a single person that doesnt want that little brat to die every episode. Him and his incest loving mother

I used to hate his mother but I've grown to like her character. While dubious at times, she's also been right about a lot of things as well.

coachpipe
04-23-2013, 03:15 PM
I used to hate his mother but I've grown to like her character. While dubious at times, she's also been right about a lot of things as well.

I do like her for some of her lines though. I think her best line was when she was talking to LittleFinger and he said knowledge is power and she got all her men to grab him and she said NO, Power is Power. I got the chills thinking, this woman means business !

R_Webb18
04-23-2013, 05:47 PM
I hate Joffrey as a character but I love the actor playing him and he does a great job. Margaery (Natalie Dormer) does amazing job also.

I predicted the ending with Dany last episode but it still delivered.

foxfire123
04-23-2013, 05:49 PM

I won't say I like her character, but there is a lot more depth to her than one would first think when the show started. As for Joffrey, there's not a gruesome enough death for that little psychotic inbred turd.

Not a huge fan of that insipid Sansa either.

Roy Tucker
04-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Interesting article about my 2 of my most favorite shows and my 9-11 PM block on Sunday nights.

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/04/22/earning-it-office-darwinism-on-mad-men-and-the-good-wife/

MikeThierry
04-23-2013, 09:58 PM
I do like her for some of her lines though. I think her best line was when she was talking to LittleFinger and he said knowledge is power and she got all her men to grab him and she said NO, Power is Power. I got the chills thinking, this woman means business !

That's by far my favorite line of the series thus far.

hairmetalfreek
04-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Two shows that my wife and I have been watching: Hannibal and Bates Motel. I'm not a big fan of the Hannibal show, but absolutely love Bates Motel.

I'm looking forward to Breaking Bad and Dexter coming back this summer as well, but wish it wasn't the last season for them.

R_Webb18
04-25-2013, 12:18 AM
the wait for breaking bad is unreal long.

Hannibal might be my favorite new show. Love the people in it. Love the way it looks. The only problem its on NBC which is not the greatest spot for a show to last.

MikeThierry
04-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Anyone check out Defiance? I'm enjoying it thus far and the show seems like it could have a lot of promise.

coachpipe
04-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Two shows that my wife and I have been watching: Hannibal and Bates Motel. I'm not a big fan of the Hannibal show, but absolutely love Bates Motel.

I'm looking forward to Breaking Bad and Dexter coming back this summer as well, but wish it wasn't the last season for them.

I just saw the preview of Bates Motel the other day. Looks really good. Im a huge Psycho fan.

And absolutely love Dexter and Breaking bad. Just finished rewatching the dexter series with my gf. And then she wanted to give breaking bad a shot so i rewatched the first season with her as well. Love them both.

I was ecstatic when dexter announced they would return in june rather than september like usual. But agree too bad its the last season.

At the same time I was ecstatic about dexter i was unhappy with breaking bad. They said they were going to go on a "little" break when they split this season into two parts and it would return this summer. August may be summer, but those sly little foxes got me. I was hoping for June. This season is going to be great!