PDA

View Full Version : Recent interview with Arroyo...

Blimpie
12-16-2010, 01:46 PM
This pretty solid interview came yesterday courtesy of Better off Red; which, in addition to the MP3 link, provided a nice transcript on their site.

Bronson opines about his new deal, competition in the NL, and his feelings moving into the 2011 season.

Say what you will about Arroyo, he is always extremely candid:

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/

Better Off Red: What I found interesting in your case was that this kind of started right around the conclusion of the season when there were reports that you weren't going to take a hometown discount and that perhaps you weren't going to have money deferred. Usually, when a player says that, it's followed by a testy, lengthy and very public contract negotiation. That actually wasn't the case here. It got done quietly and quickly. If the reports of deferred money and taking less through the first couple of years are true, that leads me to believe that you really wanted to stay in Cincinnati. Can you speak to that?

Bronson Arroyo: Yeah for sure. It wasn't a lengthy process. I've never been a greedy guy. I took an undervalued deal in Boston and the way the market has exploded this offseason, I probably took an undervalued deal here in Cincy as well. But you know, I felt like they were treating me fair. Once we got to $35 million, they felt like they needed some room to pay this thing out over a lengthy amount of time in order to make things happen for the ball club. So, I agreed to defer some money. I didn't think it was that big of a deal. A guaranteed contract is a guaranteed contract whether you get it now or later, so that wasn't the big issue. The big issue was that I wanted to make sure that the organization felt that I was going to be around here and be productive for the next three years. I didn't want to feel like I was taking an undervalued deal to get sent somewhere else.

REDREAD
12-16-2010, 02:17 PM
thanks for posting that, it was a good read.

Bob Borkowski
12-16-2010, 02:51 PM
I enjoyed that. Thanks.

Edd Roush
12-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Any one else find this interesting?

"You know, in my personal opinion, I don't think that contract is going to weigh at all on Joey Votto. I think Joe Votto is going to capitalize on what he feels he should in the game. And I don't think the organization will be able to make a long-term deal with him any time in the near future."

I would guess Bronson knows Joey pretty well and we should take this into consideration. We might only have a few more years left with Joey...

The Operator
12-16-2010, 04:46 PM

"You know, in my personal opinion, I don't think that contract is going to weigh at all on Joey Votto. I think Joe Votto is going to capitalize on what he feels he should in the game. And I don't think the organization will be able to make a long-term deal with him any time in the near future."

I would guess Bronson knows Joey pretty well and we should take this into consideration. We might only have a few more years left with Joey...Bronson also said he wouldn't take any sort of discount to stay in Cincinnati, but he did. I suppose it was a "discount" at least.

I actually can't imagine Bronson having too much insight into Joey's thinking. Polar opposite personalities if you ask me.

RedsManRick
12-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Bronson also said he wouldn't take any sort of discount to stay in Cincinnati, but he did. I suppose it was a "discount" at least.

I actually can't imagine Bronson having too much insight into Joey's thinking. Polar opposite personalities if you ask me.

It doesn't sound like he considered the deferral a discount. Once he got the number he was happy with, the structure wasn't an issue.

I think Arroyo and Joey both seem like the type who prioritize being somewhere that makes them comfortable/happy over maximizing contract value, fame, glamour, etc. The difference is that Arroyo has a better sense of what does it for him.

The biggest thing with Votto seems to be that he simply doesn't know where he wants to be and doesn't want to paint himself in to a corner unnecessarily. From everything I've read, I bet he would LOVE to go play in Toronto. For now, I think we can expect a 2 or 3 year deal that avoids arbitration but doesn't take away any FA years.

traderumor
12-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Deferred money--spending tomorrow's budget today.

BCubb2003
12-16-2010, 09:04 PM
We seem to be taking hometown discounts for granted. There was a time when they were rare -- as in Griffey-coming-to-Cincinnati rare. Arroyo's hometown is Key West, anyway

corkedbat
12-16-2010, 09:54 PM

I would guess Bronson knows Joey pretty well and we should take this into consideration. We might only have a few more years left with Joey...

May just be BA's opinion. I know it's mine. They might get him to sign a three year deal through arbitration, but that doesn't do a lot for the Reds. Anything beyond three will rpobably get a lot closer to $100M that the Reds can or want to meet. They should give it their best shot, and I pray they're successful, but they should also be laying all the groundwork they can to land the best deal for JV possible.

I think JV is a Reds through this year, but after that, they need to pick their spot and get a huge return (at least two A and one B prospects/young pros - all league ready). Probably with at least one and a half years of control left for the new team.

corkedbat
12-16-2010, 10:04 PM
We seem to be taking hometown discounts for granted. There was a time when they were rare -- as in Griffey-coming-to-Cincinnati rare. Arroyo's hometown is Key West, anyway

Even a hometown discount for Joey could be in the range of $120M over six and I think that's at the very least $10M lower than reality. Joey (and his agent) are fully aware of the rarified air this past season has placed him in.

I hear him saying diplomatic things for fan consumption, but I think he sees what Werth and Crawford makes and knows he's worth more than either (especially if he puts up similar numbers in 2011. IMO, if Joey stays healthy, his first LTC will be a minimum of 7years/$150M and I don't see the Reds being the team that offers it.

I believe Joey can get a number like that and he owes it to himself and those that he loves to make it so.

Spitball
12-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Does anyone else remember all the posters who were down on Arroyo because he seemed to miss Boston?

camisadelgolf
12-17-2010, 01:39 AM
This is yet another product of having a good clubhouse. Many people like to roll their eyes while talking about 'intangibles' and act like it has almost nothing to do with winning, but even if you don't think happy players perform better, you have to at least admit this: the sooner you have 'intangibles' guys, the easier it becomes to keep around talent and draw talent in from other organizations.