PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal: Reds Interested in Scott Podsednik

reds44
12-22-2010, 11:55 PM
http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/another_suitor_for_podsednik/3841771?new_post=true

Only two NL teams last season had a lower on-base percentage out of the leadoff spot than the Reds.

A free-agent leadoff man is available. He bats left-handed, and could platoon with Jonny Gomes in left field.

His name: Scott Podsednik. And yes, the Reds are interested in him, according to major-league sources.

The Operator
12-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Who needs Greinke when you can land Podsednik? :cool:

TheNext44
12-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Well, as a platoon with Gomes, he couldn't do too much damage? Not a big fan, though.

reds44
12-23-2010, 12:17 AM
To me, it makes a lot of sense. He's by no means great defensively, but this team has a big hole to fill at leadoff.

Last year vRHP: .300/.349/.755
Career: .283/.344/.735

Combine that with Gomes' .856 OPS vL last year (.878) career and you create yourself a nice little platoon. Then against LHP you can slide Phillips into leadoff because he rakes LHP, and you still have Heisey as a defensive replacement for whoever is in LF.

It seems to make a lot of sense to me.

The Operator
12-23-2010, 12:18 AM
I have a bad feeling that this is one of those rumors that has so much smoke behind it, it's bound to eventually come true.

Back around the time of the Taveras signing, I remember that rumor repeatedly coming up, getting squashed, repeat. And he was ultimately signed.

I'm afraid that ultimately this will end up the same.

The Operator
12-23-2010, 12:20 AM
To me, it makes a lot of sense. He's by no means great defensively, but this team has a big hole to fill at leadoff.

Combine that with Gomes' .856 OPS vL last year (.878) career and you create yourself a nice little platoon. Then against LHP you can slide Phillips into leadoff because he rakes LHP, and you still have Heisey as a defensive replacement for whoever is in LF.

Would Dusty platoon him with Gomes though?

We can't always assume that Dusty will use a player the way we would. It is the rational assumption considering CF and RF are all but locked in, but you never know with this club sometimes.

I guess I just had higher hopes for this offseason than Scott Podsednik.

reds44
12-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Would Dusty platoon him with Gomes though?

We can't always assume that Dusty will use a player the way we would. It is the rational assumption considering CF and RF are all but locked in, but you never know with this club sometimes.

I guess I just had higher hopes for this offseason than Scott Podsednik.
Oh come on. I think Dusty proved last year he was more than willing to be patient with Stubbs in CF.

I think it's time to put the Dusty myths to bed.

The Operator
12-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Oh come on. I think Dusty proved last year he was more than willing to be patient with Stubbs in CF.

I think it's time to put the Dusty myths to bed.Certainly.

These types of signings scare a guy like me though. The Lost Decade still lingers in recent memory.

Homer Bailey
12-23-2010, 12:29 AM
If it gives us more OBP in front of Votto and less Gomes vs RHP, I can get behind it.

MartyFan
12-23-2010, 12:32 AM
The team doesn't need to do a lot. It just needs to tweak what is in place.

I was surprised when they got Chapman last year because Walt said going into the offseason how much he liked the team that was in place and noted the pitching as a strength.

If you recall, the Reds last offseason were also VERY QUIET until they landed Chapman.

If all we need is to sure up better production while not killing our defense in left field, I don't think there is anything wrong with getting someone like Podsednik...what other comparable price players are going to be a beter fit? I don't know....are there any out there?

I guess since the report said he was looking for a raise from the 1.75 he was making last year then look in the range up to 2mil...anybody have a line on a FA, Left Hand Batting OG that would provide more potential for the leadoff spot (assumption of where he would bat on his days in the platoon)? Just curious what options are out there.

RedsManRick
12-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Against righties, I'll take Pods over Gomes 8 days a week.

Captain Hook
12-23-2010, 12:51 AM
I would feel better knowing that Dusty has someone else as an option for LF.I don't have a big problem with Gomes playing some but considering how Heisey fell off last year(looked completely clueless the last few months imo)and the lack of any other proven guys on the roster, we need someone like Podsednik.Gomes is the starter right now and the only thing that keeps him from playing everyday is one of the young guys tearing it up in limited playing time or another vet that Baker trust.I'm not ready to bet that one of the youngsters are ready for the big time so it would be nice to have another option.A move like this might not be a huge leap forward but it is an improvement.I'm completely ok with the teams interest here.

Griffey012
12-23-2010, 02:22 AM
I have a bad feeling that this is one of those rumors that has so much smoke behind it, it's bound to eventually come true.

Back around the time of the Taveras signing, I remember that rumor repeatedly coming up, getting squashed, repeat. And he was ultimately signed.

I'm afraid that ultimately this will end up the same.

There is a big difference though, Pods has actually shown the ability to get on base at a decent clip a few times in his career.

I could definitely live with a Pods/Gomes platoon in left. He would likely be a lot more useful than many on this board think he would. It all depends on the price tag though. 2 million or so, then sign me up.

edabbs44
12-23-2010, 04:17 AM
Against righties, I'll take Pods over Gomes 8 days a week.

Based on?

PuffyPig
12-23-2010, 06:53 AM

Gomes has a 3 year split against RH pitching of .745, which is greater than Pods. Pods has a better OBA, Gomes SL%.

Pods would be a useful OF to add to Heisey and our other 3, but he's certainly not a big upgrade over Gomes (if at all).

Mario-Rijo
12-23-2010, 07:08 AM
The team doesn't need to do a lot. It just needs to tweak what is in place.

I was surprised when they got Chapman last year because Walt said going into the offseason how much he liked the team that was in place and noted the pitching as a strength.

If you recall, the Reds last offseason were also VERY QUIET until they landed Chapman.

If all we need is to sure up better production while not killing our defense in left field, I don't think there is anything wrong with getting someone like Podsednik...what other comparable price players are going to be a beter fit? I don't know....are there any out there?

I guess since the report said he was looking for a raise from the 1.75 he was making last year then look in the range up to 2mil...anybody have a line on a FA, Left Hand Batting OG that would provide more potential for the leadoff spot (assumption of where he would bat on his days in the platoon)? Just curious what options are out there.

Fred Lewis would be my choice, but Pods is better than having no answer at all.

Strikes Out Looking
12-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm not so sure this report is that accurate. First, Walt is on vacation this week. Second, there isn't much of a market for Podsednik, so his agent might be trying to raise the price for him.

On the other hand, he might be dating Dusty's daughter, so ...

RedLegSuperStar
12-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Merry Christmas Scotty Pod.. Meet a team that will give you a 2 year deal

Krusty
12-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Reds are supposedly operating on a tight budget. I wouldn't give him more than a two year deal in the 4 to 5 million range for the two years.

klw
12-23-2010, 10:02 AM
..anybody have a line on a FA, Left Hand Batting OG that would provide more potential for the leadoff spot (assumption of where he would bat on his days in the platoon)? Just curious what options are out there.

Well there is that Johnny Damon fella.

Scrap Irony
12-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Damon would be the ideal LF guy for this team. I'd wait until Damon signs before adding an extra piece like Pods.

Of course, if it's a true platoon with Gomes, Pods would be both cheaper and more likely to accept the role.

He's the epitome of a meh signing, though, to be fair, he'd be an upgrade over what led off last year for the Reds.

I like the idea of Phillips leading off v. lefties and Pods against RHs. If Stubbs hits second, the overall obp of 1-6 should be sufficient to overcome a poor bat at SS and the probable struggles of the catching duo.

I(heart)Freel
12-23-2010, 11:48 AM
I have a friend who is beating the drum loudly for Brad Hawpe for the LF platoon role.

Better or worse than Pods?

RedLegSuperStar
12-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Willy Taveras got 2 years 6 million.. Podsednik got 1.75 millionlast year I believe and is in the market for a raise.

Puffy
12-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I am not a Pods fan......but as a strict platoon partner for Gomes I would be Ok with this.

I still am holding out hope for a Cordero for Beltran trade though.

marcshoe
12-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Podsednik's numbers are better than I thought they were. He'll be 35, so he doesn't have a lot left in the tank, but he could be useful short-term. I agree with Mario-Rijo, though; I'd rather have Lewis. Still, Podsednik would be an upgrade in the leadoff spot.

lollipopcurve
12-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Problem with Podsednik is he's been pretty brittle over the course of his career. Finished last season with plantar fasciitis, which is a tough one to kick, as Arthur Rhodes knows. I think I'd prefer the younger more durable Fred Lewis.

Benihana
12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Ugh. As expected.

Will M
12-23-2010, 01:05 PM
My opinion hasn't changed since he was first mentioned as a possible target for the Reds. http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86651&highlight=podsednik

1) he was a 0.4 WAR player last year
2) in the last 4 years he has a total of 0.9 WAR
3) he has no power
4) if he could play a strong centerfield he would have some value. however, he isn't a good defender even in left
5) Lance Nix ( 2.6 WAR total over the last two years) is a better player than Podsednick & I want a guy like Lance on the bench not as a starter
6) in short he would not help the team

The Reds need strong offensive production from whoever plays left field. Its left field not shortstop. Its one of THE key spots where a team needs a thumper. At a minimum we need a LH version of Gomes to make a platoon (and I would like to aim higher than that).

Griffey012
12-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Gomes has a 3 year split against RH pitching of .745, which is greater than Pods. Pods has a better OBA, Gomes SL%.

Pods would be a useful OF to add to Heisey and our other 3, but he's certainly not a big upgrade over Gomes (if at all).

He may not be a big upgrade over Gomes against righties based on individual stats, but he would be a big upgrade for the team as a whole against righties. This is simply because against righties our team so desperately needs someone to get on base in front of Votto, Bruce, and Rolen.

Ron Madden
12-23-2010, 01:21 PM
I hope this is just a rumor.

I'd love for Podsednik to sign with one of the LA teams and Orlando Cabrera sign with any other team before Walt returns from vacation.

bucksfan2
12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
My opinion hasn't changed since he was first mentioned as a possible target for the Reds. http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86651&highlight=podsednik

3) he has no power
4) if he could play a strong centerfield he would have some value. however, he isn't a good defender even in left
5) Lance Nix ( 2.6 WAR total over the last two years) is a better player than Podsednick & I want a guy like Lance on the bench not as a starter

The Reds need strong offensive production from whoever plays left field. Its left field not shortstop. Its one of THE key spots where a team needs a thumper. At a minimum we need a LH version of Gomes to make a platoon (and I would like to aim higher than that).

I don't like WAR nor can I buy that Nix was that good last year. He is a nice 5th OF to have but counting on him next season would be a mistake. I just don't understand how WAR can be accurate when Nix had 165 ab's last season.

RedsManRick
12-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Based on?

Pods: .283/ .344/.391
Gomes: .233/.309/.438

Career splits and defense. It's not a massive edge, but Pods has been the more effective hitter vR and is a better fielder. Don't get wrong, I'd rather have somebody better than either of them.

Guacarock
12-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Fred Lewis would be a better choice than Podsednik, assuming Damon is too expensive for the Reds to acquire. Lewis shouldn't cost any more than Podsednik, and is more likely to remain reasonably productive, especially as a lead-off hitter and outfield defender, in 2011.

Griffey012
12-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Fred Lewis would be a better choice than Podsednik, assuming Damon is too expensive for the Reds to acquire. Lewis shouldn't cost any more than Podsednik, and is more likely to remain reasonably productive, especially as a lead-off hitter and outfield defender, in 2011.

I'd be all for Fred Lewis as well, I have a feeling he is going to get more than we expect him to though.

OnBaseMachine
12-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Ugh. No thanks.

I would rather have Fred Lewis.

mth123
12-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Let me echo the ughs. Not a Podsednik fan. I'd be ok with Lewis and happy with Damon.

RedEye
12-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Every time Gomes or any other OF (other than Damon or a true upgrade) comes up, I find myself repeating the same thing -- why not just stick Heisey out there and see what he can do? I still haven't seen evidence that he would be any worse than a platoon of mediocrity. And I have a feeling he could me much better. Am I wrong?

edabbs44
12-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Every time Gomes or any other OF (other than Damon or a true upgrade) comes up, I find myself repeating the same thing -- why not just stick Heisey out there and see what he can do? I still haven't seen evidence that he would be any worse than a platoon of mediocrity. And I have a feeling he could me much better. Am I wrong?

You might be.

RedEye
12-23-2010, 10:52 PM
You might be.

Thanks for the in-depth analysis. ;) Seriously though... we know that Podsednik/Gomes (or whatever) is likely to be a mediocre tandem in left. We've seen, what, 250 AB's from Chris Heisey, and we're already set on writing him off as a part-time player? I don't see it. Shouldn't he at least be a candidate for part-time duty in left? (Full disclosure: I am not Heisey's brother)

Spitball
12-23-2010, 10:57 PM

I totally agree. Heck with Podsednik and his like. I believe Heisey will put up comparable (or better) offensive numbers and play better defense.

Really, I'd rather see Heisey out there than Gomes.

Ron Madden
12-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I'd love to see Heisey and Sappelt be given a fair shot to win the starting LF job.

RedEye
12-23-2010, 11:01 PM
I'd love to see Heisey and Sappelt be given a fair shot to win the starting LF job.

Totally. I hadn't even thought about Sappelt--he should absolutely be given a shot. I understand why Walt wants people like Gomes and S-Pod around for insurance in case a Heisey or a Sappelt fails. But I don't understand why these young players--who are likely superior fielders and possibly better hitters than these vets--are not given a chance to contribute full-time.

Will M
12-23-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't understand why Gomes was brought back. He was owed $1.8M for 2011 vs a $0.5M buyout. So you could say bringing him back as a bench guy was a decent move from a cost standpoint. IMO the ideal role for Jonny is as the RH part of a DH platoon. He is ok as a RH part of a left field platoon. So where does that leave Heisey?

Now I would be ok with a plan of a platoon of a LH thumper with Gomes in LF. Heisey becomes trade bait for an upgrade in the rotation (say Greinke before he was dealt) or at SS (say Drew). However, that does not seem to be the plan.

I would also be ok with a platoon of Heisey and a LH hitter in LF.
Send Gomes packing to a team in the AL that needs what he provides. A 'B' or even a 'C' prospect would be ok in return.

I just struggle to see how Heisey and Gomes fit into the team. I realize they are totally different players. But with Bruce in RF & Stubbs in CF I don't see many ABs there (barring injury). So Gomes or Heisey is going to play LF vs a left handed pitcher & the other is going to be a pinch hitter. I believe Gomes hasn't done well in this role (I could be wrong). If I recall he needs consistent ABs to keep his swing in order. I also don't think Heisey is going to do well overall as a pinch hitter. I do know he excelled early in that role but 1) young guys generally need to play and 2) it seems a bit early in his career to make him a pinch hitter.

Am I off base? Does Walt have some plan/trade for one of these guys?

RedEye
12-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Am I off base? Does Walt have some plan/trade for one of these guys?

Well, there are bread crumbs there for a Heisey trade. Walt did actually say that a lead-off hitter was a main off-season priority. Then there was the rumor about a Heisey for Gerardo Parra trade--which didn't make a lot of sense other than the fact that Parra profiles as a "speedy lead-off" type. Now, with the rumor about Podsednik too, it does make you think that Walt views Heisey as expendable.

Griffey012
12-24-2010, 12:23 AM

I would love for nothing more than Heisey to step up take over the job on a daily basis and perform well. However, I would hate to watch Heisey fall flat on his face and not have a backup plan. Hopefully the person who deserves the LF spot due to performance will get the AB's.

Phhhl
12-24-2010, 12:26 AM
I am not crazy about this possiblity. Podsednik has to hit for a high average to have any value at all as a lead off hitter. Fortunately, he has managed to do that often enough in his career to suggest it is not impossible for him to be a good acquisition... or AS impossible as it was for Patterson or Tavares to pull it off. But, I do like the way the club is thinking, if they are serious about finding a platoon partner for Gomes. Gomes is a quality major league baseball player, but he is a platoon player against left handed pitching at best. Jonny went about 1.5 months late in the season providing absolutely no protection for the middle of the order last year, and only the ineptitude of the St. Louis Cardinals prevented the collapse of this offense costing the team a post-season berth. With Podsednik leading off against righties, there is at least the chance of this becoming a dynamic offense. It can be very different against right handers, with Bruce hopefully stepping up to hit fourth in those games behind Votto, than against lefties, with Phillips hitting leadoff and Gomes inserted into the cleanup spot (or 5th behind Rolen as Dusty might predicatably do).

Vs. righties
Podsednik
Phillips
Votto
Bruce
Rolen
Stubbs
Hanigan/Hernandez
Janish

vs. Lefties
Phillips
Stubbs
Votto
Gomes
Bruce
Rolen
Hernandez/Hanigan
Janish

What I like about these lineups is the tendancy to neutralize the liabilities of two hitters at the top of the order. Podsednik steals a lot of bases annually, but also gets caught a lot. Basically, he runs like Ryan Freel. With Phillips hitting behind him, there is more tolerance for that success rate because of Phillips' double play fixation (if Pods gets caught stealing, he was likely to get bumped off on a hard ground ball anyway). Against lefties Phillips hits leadoff and the number of time he hits with a runner at first and less than two outs is minimal anyway. Brandon's power hitting at the top of the order can be a huge attribute for this team, even if it is diminishing.

My main concern is how are we going to protect the league MVP. Rolen and Gomes are not going to be able to do it in 2011, at least against right handed pitching. The move for a guy like Podsednik would shift a ton of pressure to Jay Bruce. But from what I saw in the second half of 2010 I think the kid is ready to take that step. Apparently, the Reds do too, based on the nice contract they just anted up for him. I am more than comfortable with Gomes assuming that role against left handed starters.

Having a bat like Gomes coming off the bench in many games when LaRussa tries to ham string Dusty with his left handers would be pretty sweet. Milwaykee has a left handed beast in their pen in Zach Braddock. There aren't a lot of quality lefties in the division rotations, but there are in the bullpens. We really didn't have the type right handed of power off the bench in 2010 Jonny provides, unless you qualify Heisey.

I still am luke warm about Scotty Pods. I would have rather seen the club pursue a power hitting left handed hitter for left field than an aging slap hitter. People keep saying Damon can't play outfield at all, but how can a former center fielder have declined so much? I would rather have Damon than Podsednik, but I just don't see many players who are still available that fit the Reds' offensive and economic needs at this point in the postseason than guys like this. I never thought it would come to this, but I would be fairly happy if the Reds signed the guy and used him this way.

The pitching, I have absolutely no worries at all. Even with what the rest of the division has done.

kpresidente
12-24-2010, 04:26 AM
Well, there are bread crumbs there for a Heisey trade. Walt did actually say that a lead-off hitter was a main off-season priority. Then there was the rumor about a Heisey for Gerardo Parra trade--which didn't make a lot of sense other than the fact that Parra profiles as a "speedy lead-off" type. Now, with the rumor about Podsednik too, it does make you think that Walt views Heisey as expendable.

My thought when I heard that rumor was that the Reds wanted Parra so he could platoon with Heisey, and the Diamondbacks wanted Heisey so he could platoon with Parra.

Obviously, this wasn't going to work.

RED VAN HOT
12-24-2010, 02:49 PM
I have no doubt that the Reds will sign some candidates for LF and SS to compete in the spring. I do not believe the Reds will make a serious financial commitment to do so. Nor do I believe that the Reds will be reluctant to cut a veteran that does not win that competition.

Either Podsednik or Lewis would fit the LF competition role fine. I suspect that $ is the problem. Check back in February. Heisey has a solid minor league record as a hitter and base runner. At the major league level a little more than half of his AB's were against RHP. His line .321/.384/.925. Of his 226 ML PA's, half were against pitchers he was facing for the first time. It is too soon to write him off.

Regarding a trade and the long range plans of the organization, I believe the following types of trades are less likely.

--a trade of a basket of good prospects for a ML player with an expensive contract. This depletes the farm system and hamstrings the major league team by taking on payroll. I also believe the Reds would rather reward their own with the resources they do have.
--a trade of defense for offense at the same position. Defense is cheaper and is becoming more valuable as the end of the steroid era keeps more balls in the park.
--a trade for a player with questionable character credentials. I think the Reds are trying to build a core of solid players that want to play in Cinci.

Big Klu
12-25-2010, 08:31 PM

3) he has no power
R

Has Jim Edmonds made a decision about whether he wants to play another season? If he does, would he be a viable left-handed platoon partner for Gomes in LF?

RedLegSuperStar
12-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Has Jim Edmonds made a decision about whether he wants to play another season? If he does, would he be a viable left-handed platoon partner for Gomes in LF?

I'd rather have Greg Vaughn, Dante Bichette, or Ron Gant