PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Damon

Hondo
12-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Ok here is another player I would like the Reds to consider for Lead off and LF.

Johnny Damon had a .355 OBP last year which matches his CAREER...

While not a .380-.400 OBP that I wish for, I believe Damon could be had for 5 Million base plus incentives and would provide leadership and has been a champion 3 Times... Which IMO his role on those Championship Teams is invaulable in the Club House....

I would then want to see Cordero Moved Possible with the Reds eating 2.5-3 Million to make room for Damon's acquisition... I don't really want the Reds to get Scott Podsednik...

Damon will hit 40 Doubles and in GAB will probably return to 20+ Homers while maintaining his .355 OBP in the Lead Off spot...

BEETTLEBUG
12-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Sounds good to me, johnny damon rocks.

cbowen2112
12-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Getting someone to take on Coco's salary is the problem there. If that could happen, I would hope they jump all over that. I have heard we are stuck with Coco until his contract is up though. Damon would be killer here though!

Caveman Techie
12-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Johnny Damon, could be the answer to Left field for the Reds. Who knows maybe he is the next player to find the fountain of youth in the tunnels of GABP. :)

drew20
12-23-2010, 04:01 PM
That would be a great move but like you said we would have to get rid of Coco to make the salary room and I don't see that happening.

Hondo
12-23-2010, 04:04 PM
That would be a great move but like you said we would have to get rid of Coco to make the salary room and I don't see that happening.

After Soriano signs, you will see either the Tigers, Angels, or White Sox on the look for a Closer...

12-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Damon should be affordable without moving Cordero. He'll probably only get $3-4M if that.

The problem is that he can't play defense anymore. He only played 268 innings in the field last year, and for good reason. I doubt he can even justify playing that many in 2011. It's not even an issue of how good will he be, he just isn't healthy enough anymore for it. He's just old and worn down, like Griffey was at the end.

As a 5th outfielder, he'd be great, but he can't be relied on to play in the field everyday, or even in a platoon.

Vottomatic
12-23-2010, 04:18 PM
I worry he will pull a Scott Rolen and be worn down for the second part of the season.

brm7675
12-23-2010, 04:29 PM
What is the "thing" for old guys?

Hondo
12-23-2010, 05:47 PM
What is the "thing" for old guys?

I had a thing for Greinke and Reyes but you said it wasnt happening.

brm7675
12-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I had a thing for Greinke and Reyes but you said it wasnt happening.

Don't need the Greinkemister and want no part of the Mr. Reyes at his cost. The Reds have specific needs to fill with limited resouces money wise to do it. I would much rather see us give some of our younger players a shot (so far worked out well for Votto/Stubbs/Bruce/Cueto/leake/Wood then spend money and players on someone like a Reyes or Reinteria or Damon.

Hondo
12-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Don't need the Greinkemister and want no part of the Mr. Reyes at his cost. The Reds have specific needs to fill with limited resouces money wise to do it. I would much rather see us give some of our younger players a shot (so far worked out well for Votto/Stubbs/Bruce/Cueto/leake/Wood then spend money and players on someone like a Reyes or Reinteria or Damon.

Reyes is 28 and going into contract year...

brm7675
12-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Reyes is 28 and going into contract year...

So? He is at 11 million now, he has shown an inability to stay healthy over the past two seasons. Sorry not someone i see fitting into the Reds system, rather see us just leave Janish there, bat him 8th and know I have a guy who will be a gold glover and give me 150+ games a season.

Hondo
12-23-2010, 07:48 PM
So? He is at 11 million now, he has shown an inability to stay healthy over the past two seasons. Sorry not someone i see fitting into the Reds system, rather see us just leave Janish there, bat him 8th and know I have a guy who will be a gold glover and give me 150+ games a season.

Janish is a back up and his history shows he wears down the more he plays...

Vottomatic
12-24-2010, 02:46 AM

Yeah, 20 out of 30 General Managers will tell you so. :rolleyes:

jwertz
12-24-2010, 07:47 AM
If he fits in the budget, and is willing to play here I am all in on Damon

brm7675
12-24-2010, 10:57 AM

where is this history, he has never been given the chance to play FT, I believe you have Orlando and Janish confused...:confused:

webbbj
12-24-2010, 12:15 PM
this Hondo guy is ripping janish to shreds. of the 2 guys mentioned id much rather have podsednik. janish is a GG calibre SS and MAY only be a liability offensively (fact is he will probably be middle of the pack league avg). Gomes is a liability offensively and defensively. Not to mention renteria would end up playing every single game b/c hes an Ole reliable Vet that dusty can TRUST.

Hondo
12-24-2010, 12:44 PM
where is this history, he has never been given the chance to play FT, I believe you have Orlando and Janish confused...:confused:

2 years ago he didn't even hit .200 and last year in a part time role he did well... when he had the 26 consecutive starts in August.. his average dipped and he made 4 errors at the end in a few game span... then OC came back...

gedred69
12-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Back to Damon, I posted months ago he could be a major boost leading off, even if only in a platoon roll. #1 concern is having a better Lead off option than Stubbs, (who has all through his career been much better elsewhere than 1st up), or Phillips and his free-swinging approach, (a natural #2 hitter).

Hondo
12-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Back to Damon, I posted months ago he could be a major boost leading off, even if only in a platoon roll. #1 concern is having a better Lead off option than Stubbs, (who has all through his career been much better elsewhere than 1st up), or Phillips and his free-swinging approach, (a natural #2 hitter).

I agree 100% Damon has a Career .355 OBP which is what he posted exactley last year in Detroit... I think his Clubhouse presence and OBP would translate into even more runs this year for the offense.

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:09 PM
2 years ago he didn't even hit .200 and last year in a part time role he did well... when he had the 26 consecutive starts in August.. his average dipped and he made 4 errors at the end in a few game span... then OC came back...

that's your sample size?

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I agree 100% Damon has a Career .355 OBP which is what he posted exactley last year in Detroit... I think his Clubhouse presence and OBP would translate into even more runs this year for the offense.

Again what is this fasination with the senior sect? I mean what is next seeing what 45+ year old player is out there that had a career back in the day and see if he can play? What is wrong in seeing what Heisey or Frazier can do? they are younger and cheper.

Hondo
12-24-2010, 05:20 PM
that's your sample size?

No, thats your sample size for predicting Janish...

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:33 PM
No, thats your sample size for predicting Janish...

What is your fasination with Janish? The question concerns Damon and given his age and performance level and what he would cost, why not see what our younger and cheaper talent can do.

Hondo
12-24-2010, 05:36 PM
What is your fasination with Janish? The question concerns Damon and given his age and performance level and what he would cost, why not see what our younger and cheaper talent can do.

I like Janish off the Bench but for you people who think Keppinger, Dickerson, and Janish are going to be starters, you're just wrong...

They are Bench help and 4th Outfielder in Dickersons case...

(I know Keppinger started for the Astros last year and put up decent numbers, but his range is limited and he is better suited as a back up player.

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:38 PM
I like Janish off the Bench but for you people who think Keppinger, Dickerson, and Janish are going to be starters, you're just wrong...

They are Bench help and 4th Outfielder in Dickersons case...

(I know Keppinger started for the Astros last year and put up decent numbers, but his range is limited and he is better suited as a back up player.

You know Janish can't do it why? His numbers say otherwise as do Keppinger's. As for Dickerson, his issue has been health, we don't know what he might be able to do because he can't stay healthy.

Hondo
12-24-2010, 05:40 PM
You know Janish can't do it why? His numbers say otherwise as do Keppinger's. As for Dickerson, his issue has been health, we don't know what he might be able to do because he can't stay healthy.

Keppinger wont be a starter this year... and Janish hasnt produced full time at the major league level...

He hit .211 during 2009 with more At Bats and Games...

brm7675
12-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Keppinger wont be a starter this year... and Janish hasnt produced full time at the major league level...

He hit .211 during 2009 with more At Bats and Games...

A) how do you know Keppinger won't be a starter?
B) Janish has never been given a chance to play everyday so we don't know what he can or can't do over an entire season. Why not give him that chance..

Hondo
12-24-2010, 05:51 PM
A) how do you know Keppinger won't be a starter?
B) Janish has never been given a chance to play everyday so we don't know what he can or can't do over an entire season. Why not give him that chance..

http://sportifi.com/news/Jeff-Keppinger-a-possible-trade-target-264116.html

Yankees probably will be trading for Keppinger since the Astros will start newly signed Bill Hall at 2nd Base...

http://www.suite101.com/content/looking-ahead-to-2011-houston-astros-infield-a300846

Shortstop: Tommy Manzella or Angel Sanchez, battle of the anemic bats
Tommy Manzella is the nominal starting shortstop in Houston. He is a very athletic shortstop with a very strong arm. At least he does have that, because he is awful at the plate (.225/.267/.264). A major part of his struggles at the plate is that he is unable to control the strike zone at (71k in 282 PAs and only 13bb). Manzella needs to control the strike zone a lot better; his minor league record indicates he is capable. However, he is already entering his 28 season in 2011.

Angel Sanchez is the better offensive option at shortstop even though his 2010 numbers do not show much either (.280/.316/.348). Sanchez is an average defensive shortstop, but does have some clue how to control the strike zone.

Tommy Manzella will be given every chance to win the SS job in ST.

On Janish?

He will be hitting 2nd and playing SS probably on Opening Day, and like I said... By May you will be complaining about him...

brm7675
12-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Yankees probably will be trading for Keppinger since the Astros will start newly signed Bill Hall at 2nd Base...

http://www.suite101.com/content/looking-ahead-to-2011-houston-astros-infield-a300846

Tommy Manzella is the nominal starting shortstop in Houston. He is a very athletic shortstop with a very strong arm. At least he does have that, because he is awful at the plate (.225/.267/.264). A major part of his struggles at the plate is that he is unable to control the strike zone at (71k in 282 PAs and only 13bb). Manzella needs to control the strike zone a lot better; his minor league record indicates he is capable. However, he is already entering his 28 season in 2011.

Angel Sanchez is the better offensive option at shortstop even though his 2010 numbers do not show much either (.280/.316/.348). Sanchez is an average defensive shortstop, but does have some clue how to control the strike zone.

On Janish?

He will be hitting 2nd and playing SS probably on Opening Day, and like I said... By May you will be complaining about him...

If the Stros play Bill hall over keppinger then they are idiots, if Janish is batting in the 2 spot then Dusty, not janish is the idiot. Would Votto have the numbers he had last season if Dusty batted him 7th? you have to know your talent, and yes Janish has weaknesses, that is why you bat him 8th not second, so if Dusty can't see that, don't blame Janish.

Vottomatic
12-24-2010, 11:20 PM

On Janish?

No. I will be complaining about Dusty batting Janish second.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Janish will be fine batting 8th. If he bats second, it's not his fault. It's the manager's fault.

Hondo
12-26-2010, 03:11 PM
No. I will be complaining about Dusty batting Janish second.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Janish will be fine batting 8th. If he bats second, it's not his fault. It's the manager's fault.

This isn't a Folgers commercial...

Janish should be on the Bench. I would rather Cozart get every chance to win the Starting SS job in ST... Guy has range and 25+ HR potential.