PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Heisey get any love from the Reds

brm7675
12-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I would love to hear from both Dusty and Walt on why they don't think Chris Heisey can't be the everyday LF and provide enough offense to be the everyday guy. We know he can more then handle the position defensivly and would give us 3 young guys in the OF with nothing but upside. I mean does anyone here really believe some retread of a player like a Scott P. is really a better choice? What has Heisey done to not warrent a shot in the 2011 season?:confused:

Hondo
12-23-2010, 06:01 PM
I would love to hear from both Dusty and Walt on why they don't think Chris Heisey can't be the everyday LF and provide enough offense to be the everyday guy. We know he can more then handle the position defensivly and would give us 3 young guys in the OF with nothing but upside. I mean does anyone here really believe some retread of a player like a Scott P. is really a better choice? What has Heisey done to not warrent a shot in the 2011 season?:confused:

I dont want Scott Podsednik.

I am fine with Heisey and Gomes in Left as long as SS is improved with a Carlos Reyes...

cbowen2112
12-23-2010, 06:27 PM
I dont want Scott Podsednik.

I am fine with Heisey and Gomes in Left as long as SS is improved with a Carlos Reyes...

Quick question...who is Carlos Reyes?

Hondo
12-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Quick question...who is Carlos Reyes?

Okay I meant Jose Reyes... My Error.

cbowen2112
12-23-2010, 06:36 PM

Okay, no problem. I thought you were speaking of the relief pitcher from the 90s.

Hondo
12-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Okay, no problem. I thought you were speaking of the relief pitcher from the 90s.

The Reds might need that Carlos Reyes now that Arthur Rhodes has signed with The texas Rangers...

http://twitter.com/MLBFanHouse/status/18072721690730496

brm7675
12-23-2010, 06:44 PM

why would you want him and his overpriced salary and injury ridden body?

brm7675
12-23-2010, 06:45 PM
The Reds might need that Carlos Reyes now that Arthur Rhodes has signed with The texas Rangers...

http://twitter.com/MLBFanHouse/status/18072721690730496

Not sure how much more Arthur can go, his body is not that of a youngster, I think we have enough able bodies in the pen to cover this loss.

smixsell
12-29-2010, 04:38 PM

I haven't heard anything from the organization to make me think that Heisey won't be given a fair chance to win the everyday LF job. What makes you think he won't be given a shot?

brm7675
12-30-2010, 05:29 PM
I haven't heard anything from the organization to make me think that Heisey won't be given a fair chance to win the everyday LF job. What makes you think he won't be given a shot?

Because if they did think he was the answer he would have seen more playing time then Gomes last year, they would not have resigned Gomes.

TheBigLebowski
12-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I like both Heisey and Valaika moreso than the Reds apparently do.....honestly, I would have rather left Gomes out there in the FA pool and let Heisey sink or swim full-time in left if there was no other plan to acquire a replacement LF, which it appears there wasn't.

brm7675
12-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I like both Heisey and Valaika moreso than the Reds apparently do.....honestly, I would have rather left Gomes out there in the FA pool and let Heisey sink or swim full-time in left if there was no other plan to acquire a replacement LF, which it appears there wasn't.

I wouldn't go as far to say there was or is no plan, i believe both Walt and Dusty are comfortable with going with Gomes again and 'IF" something would happen that they could "upgrade" they will, but they are not going to give away the Farm for a player. Personally I like that plan if you remove Gomes and insert Heisey into that thought. I just ahve not figured out this love affair with Gomes.....:rolleyes:

ezluke
12-31-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't think they don't love him, afterall they called him up when he probably should have still been in AAA. I think it's more that for some reason they seem to love Gomes too much.

Kingspoint
12-31-2010, 12:57 AM
That the REDS haven't signed a new "Starting" Left-Fielder speaks volumes about what Walt thinks of Heisey and the rest of the players who are already on the club who can play Left Field in 2011.

Hondo
12-31-2010, 02:55 PM
That the REDS haven't signed a new "Starting" Left-Fielder speaks volumes about what Walt thinks of Heisey and the rest of the players who are already on the club who can play Left Field in 2011.

Or maybe it says volumes of how ownership is going to ride out the 2010 playoff apperance for as long as it can without improving one weak area of the team...

Lead Off Hitter, Left Field, ShortStop, Left handed Bullpen arm, Bull Pen arm in general, and yes Bonafide ACE starter (which is the least of need)

brm7675
12-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Or maybe it says volumes of how ownership is going to ride out the 2010 playoff apperance for as long as it can without improving one weak area of the team...

Lead Off Hitter, Left Field, ShortStop, Left handed Bullpen arm, Bull Pen arm in general, and yes Bonafide ACE starter (which is the least of need)

LOH: Stubbs or Phillips
LF: If available go get someone, but willing to see what Heisey brings
SS: Need backup to Janish
LHBP: Bray/Chapman fill that area
BPA: We are fine and have minor league talent ready to step in
ACE: Cueto/Wood/Leake/Volquez all have abilities to be that man, let them grow into the position.

Hondo
12-31-2010, 03:18 PM
LOH: Stubbs or Phillips
LF: If available go get someone, but willing to see what Heisey brings
SS: Need backup to Janish
LHBP: Bray/Chapman fill that area
BPA: We are fine and have minor league talent ready to step in
ACE: Cueto/Wood/Leake/Volquez all have abilities to be that man, let them grow into the position.

Good Lord Dude, you're like a Broken Record.

The point is...

The Ownership, The Front Office, The General Manager have NOT, I repeat NOT filled ONE, I am SAYING ONE, ONE hole in the 25 Man Roster.

I didn't respond for you to tell me your In House solutions... Good Lord Dude.

brm7675
12-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Good Lord Dude, you're like a Broken Record.

The point is...

The Ownership, The Front Office, The General Manager have NOT, I repeat NOT filled ONE, I am SAYING ONE, ONE hole in the 25 Man Roster.

I didn't respond for you to tell me your In House solutions... Good Lord Dude.

If there is nothing out there to fill them with, then what do you expect. I would much rather see us do nothing then to bring in someone like Scott P or Edgar R and such. Making a move just to make a move is stupid. We have good young talent and maybe letting the mature and grow is the best option for this franchise at this point.:thumbup:

Hondo
12-31-2010, 03:40 PM
If there is nothing out there to fill them with, then what do you expect. I would much rather see us do nothing then to bring in someone like Scott P or Edgar R and such. Making a move just to make a move is stupid. We have good young talent and maybe letting the mature and grow is the best option for this franchise at this point.:thumbup:

Pods would be a good left handed hitter off the BENCH only and a pinch Runner... Not a Starter!

This teams last 2 out of 3 drafts have been a Disaster... They could have picked Gordan Beckam or Justin Smoak... Beckam could be our Starting SS by now and Smoak could have been switched to LF from 1B being as he is a Far better athlete than Alonso... Grandal and Alonso are Huge Dissapointments, not even the Best players on the Board...

brm7675
12-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Pods would be a good left handed hitter off the BENCH only and a pinch Runner... Not a Starter!

This teams last 2 out of 3 drafts have been a Disaster... They could have picked Gordan Beckam or Justin Smoak... Beckam could be our Starting SS by now and Smoak could have been switched to LF from 1B being as he is a Far better athlete than Alonso... Grandal and Alonso are Huge Dissapointments, not even the Best players on the Board...

A) dusty won't use him as a bench player/pinch runner, he will see considerable playing time, it's in Dusty's DNA to play old bad guys...

B) I don't know that young catcher has been showing promise, we still don't know what Alonso can bring, sometimes players just don't explode their first season like Leake. Look at Travis Wood, some players take some time to mature.

Hondo
12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
A) dusty won't use him as a bench player/pinch runner, he will see considerable playing time, it's in Dusty's DNA to play old bad guys...

B) I don't know that young catcher has been showing promise, we still don't know what Alonso can bring, sometimes players just don't explode their first season like Leake. Look at Travis Wood, some players take some time to mature.

You're missing the Point.

You Draft the best player available on the board... When Alonso was Drafted, I could not believe it... Beckam was even what all the analysts thought the Reds would go with... Smoak was a Higher Rated 1B prospect than Alonso also... Common Baseball Draft Knowlege..

Grandal Makes no Sense whatsoever....

1. Not Best player on board what so ever. Dylan Covey would have been a Great Great addition the Organization.
2. No Need for # 2
3. In fact 3B Zach Cox would have been a Great Pick, the Cardinals got a Steal that he went that low...

brm7675
12-31-2010, 03:58 PM
You're missing the Point.

You Draft the best player available on the board... When Alonso was Drafted, I could not believe it... Beckam was even what all the analysts thought the Reds would go with... Smoak was a Higher Rated 1B prospect than Alonso also... Common Baseball Draft Knowlege..

Grandal Makes no Sense whatsoever....

1. Not Best player on board what so ever. Dylan Covey would have been a Great Great addition the Organization.
2. No Need for # 2
3. In fact 3B Zach Cox would have been a Great Pick, the Cardinals got a Steal that he went that low...

See pro sports teams draft best player available, others draft via what they see as need and teams each have thier own ways of evaluating talent. The draft, especially in MLB over all other sports is a much bigger crap shoot, you hope you get it right and pray alot. Also, how sad it is, teams will also look at who is representing player X and that will impact on his draftability.

Hondo
12-31-2010, 04:02 PM
See pro sports teams draft best player available, others draft via what they see as need and teams each have thier own ways of evaluating talent. The draft, especially in MLB over all other sports is a much bigger crap shoot, you hope you get it right and pray alot. Also, how sad it is, teams will also look at who is representing player X and that will impact on his draftability.

Nice Broad Stroke.

The 2 players, are you reading this slowly... Were not the Best players available in the Draft... The player Alonso got a Major League Contract... Grandal same thing, so who they were represented by had nothing to do with it...

brm7675
12-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Nice Broad Stroke.

The 2 players, are you reading this slowly... Were not the Best players available in the Draft... The player Alonso got a Major League Contract... Grandal same thing, so who they were represented by had nothing to do with it...

If you don't believe that "whom" represents these draft pick matters then you are kidding yourself.

Hondo
12-31-2010, 04:49 PM
If you don't believe that "whom" represents these draft pick matters then you are kidding yourself.

You're missing the point BDSM... The players agents both demanded MAJOR LEAGUE CONTRACTS, so therefore they were dealing with Demanding players and agents anyway...

brm7675
12-31-2010, 05:08 PM
You're missing the point BDSM... The players agents both demanded MAJOR LEAGUE CONTRACTS, so therefore they were dealing with Demanding players and agents anyway...

Yes they were, but what amounts did they get? How tough were the negotiations and such. Yes they both got MLC, but there is always more to it then just that.

Hondo
12-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Yes they were, but what amounts did they get? How tough were the negotiations and such. Yes they both got MLC, but there is always more to it then just that.

New Topic please.

You are the definition of Insanity.

"Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting a different result...

Carolina Red
12-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Be patient. Heisey was in AA ball just 2 years ago. He got significant playing time in Cincy the last half of this past season. I really believe he is an above average defender and he seems to be one of the best clutch hitters on the team. I think he will be the everyday LF in 2012. An outfield of Bruce, Stubbs, and Heisey will be awesome.

PeteRoseBelongs
12-31-2010, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't say that Heisey doesn't get any love. I think if we are patient that Heisey will wind up getting the bulk of the playing time in left field this year. I really feel that his play both at the plate and in the field will be above and beyond and he will enforce his will.

I also get agree more with the post that sometimes the best move you make is the one you don't. Noone is going to take coco's contract off our hands.

actually I am intrigued with possibly bringing in Renteria. My only problem with the guy is that he is hurt more than he plays but big deal. I am still disappointed that the Reds brought back Cairo. I like what he does for us but I am all about the youth movement

PMand JM
12-31-2010, 09:50 PM
I keep wondering if we should get, again, Jerry Hairston Jr. He can play any position, hit for average, and pretty much do whatever is asked of him. Backup Short, Left, whatever:D

Kingspoint
01-01-2011, 05:20 PM
There's no need for a Left-Fielder.

Hondo
01-01-2011, 05:42 PM
There's no need for a Left-Fielder.

Yeah but there is a Need for a Starting SS...

brm7675
01-01-2011, 08:35 PM

And his name is Paul Janish....:)

Kingspoint
01-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Agree with you and agree with brm. Just need to get Dusty on board. I think Walt's on board.

This may be the Winter where Walt and Dusty butt heads as I believe Walt wants to go with Janish, and that Dusty wants another Veteran who can't play Defense, can't hit and that he wants to bat leadoff.

Hondo
01-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Agree with you and agree with brm. Just need to get Dusty on board. I think Walt's on board.

This may be the Winter where Walt and Dusty butt heads as I believe Walt wants to go with Janish, and that Dusty wants another Veteran who can't play Defense, can't hit and that he wants to bat leadoff.

Wish they would just trade Cordero to the Mets for Reyes...

Pipe Dream...

Tadasimha
01-02-2011, 06:34 PM

Pipe Dream...

I don't get this at all. You'd rather give up a guy who's finished in the top five for saves in the majors five out of the last six years (he was 6th in 2005) who has averaged 40 saves a season (high of 49 in 05, low of 34 in 08) for an aging headcase who's injury prone?

Try a new pipe!

Hondo
01-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't get this at all. You'd rather give up a guy who's finished in the top five for saves in the majors five out of the last six years (he was 6th in 2005) who has averaged 40 saves a season (high of 49 in 05, low of 34 in 08) for an aging headcase who's injury prone?

Try a new pipe!

An aging 28 year old?

Tadasimha
01-03-2011, 09:56 AM
An aging 28 year old?

You're right there - somehow I had it in my head that he would be 31 this season. Sorry. :bang:

Still injury prone, though!

brm7675
01-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Pipe Dream...

A) What makes you think the Mets would want Cordero?
B) What is your desire to have an overpriced injuried SS?

Hondo
01-03-2011, 03:53 PM
A) What makes you think the Mets would want Cordero?
B) What is your desire to have an overpriced injuried SS?

1. They need Bullpen help. A set up man for Rodriguez...
2. It is his Contract year and after a physical you would hope he would be healthy at this point... Contract year might be a Huge year for him, and if he is awesome and puts up a .300 average with 200 hits, 100 runs, and 75 steals... offer him arbitration and at least get the draft picks if you don't want to give him the extension...