PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Webb ?

goreds2
12-26-2010, 02:36 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2010/12/26/are-the-reds-webbs-mystery-team/

Are the Reds Webb’s mystery team?

Posted by dclark 12/26/10, 1:17 pm

ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark is reporting that Ashland, Ky. native, former University of Kentucky star and free-agent pitcher Brandon Webb will choose between two teams – the Texas Rangers and a still-unidentified mystery team from the NL Central.

From Stark’s story:

Cincinnati has been quietly poking around for a starter with top-of-the-rotation potential, and Webb lives in Kentucky — approximately a 2 1/2-hour drive from Cincinnati. A Reds official recently told the Cincinnati Enquirer the Reds haven’t had any “recent discussions” about Webb.

mattfeet
12-26-2010, 02:39 PM
I hope so. Sign him for a low salary, but incentive-laden deal. Low-risk, high-reward. Before too long one of these types of signings is going to pay off for us (Dontrelle Willis, Arredondo, potentially Webb) in a big way.

-Matt

Hondo
12-26-2010, 03:07 PM
I hope so. Sign him for a low salary, but incentive-laden deal. Low-risk, high-reward. Before too long one of these types of signings is going to pay off for us (Dontrelle Willis, Arredondo, potentially Webb) in a big way.

-Matt

I would like Webb and his ground balls very much in GAB...

But I bet it is the Brewers.

Quatitos
12-26-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/112307319.html

General manager Doug Melvin tells me the Brewers aren't the "mystery" team involved in the bidding on free-agent right-hander Brandon Webb.

So with the Cubs and Pirates reportedly out as well, that would leave St Louis, the Astros, and the Reds for the mystery team.

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/webb_rangers_or_reds/3854993

Per Ken Rosenthal:

Or go with the Reds, whose pitching coach, Bryan Price, and trainer, Paul Lessard, both were with the Diamondbacks for much of Webb's tenure? The Reds' interest in Webb is not confirmed, but Cincinnati is the principal challenger to Texas, according to major-league sources.

And apparently Jayson Stark says "Webb is 'closing in' on a decision." (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5956794)

malcontent
12-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Who does he drop from the rotation if he signs? Bailey?

Reds already have a second rotation in Leake, Willis, Maloney, LeCure and Chapman (someday).

IMO, obtaining another starter should be the last thing they should be thinking about. Unless he's a TOR guy, and Webb isn't that any longer.

C'mon Walt, fill a real need. Sign Fred Lewis.

Nathan
12-26-2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/rangers-reach-agreement-with-webb.html#disqus_thread

malcontent
12-26-2010, 04:10 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/rangers-reach-agreement-with-webb.html#disqus_thread

Good.

:)

Hondo
12-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Walt standing pat again... Yes! :thumbdown

Vottomatic
12-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Walt, still taking his nap.

gedred69
12-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Who does he drop from the rotation if he signs? Bailey?

Reds already have a second rotation in Leake, Willis, Maloney, LeCure and Chapman (someday).

IMO, obtaining another starter should be the last thing they should be thinking about. Unless he's a TOR guy, and Webb isn't that any longer.

C'mon Walt, fill a real need. Sign Fred Lewis.

Total agreement here on the pitching line:D :D

SeeinRed
12-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Walt standing pat again... Yes! :thumbdown

Are you serious about this? I think it may be sarcasm but I'm not sure. I don't know what part of the Reds reportedly pursuing him and being in the final two means Walt did nothing. Webb did not have near as good of a chance making the starting rotation with the Reds as he does with the Rangers. Its not like the Reds are going to get into a bidding war over a pitcher coming off an injury that took him out for two seasons. Without knowing the terms the Reds reportedly offered, I just don't see how anyone can be that upset over it. If anything, it should show you that Walt is actively trying to find upgrades.

Eric the Red
12-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Without knowing the terms the Reds reportedly offered, I just don't see how anyone can be that upset over it. If anything, it should show you that Walt is actively trying to find upgrades.

Agree 100%, its not always as easy as getting what you want. A lot of factors come into play. I'm very interested to see the terms of Webb's contract. I'm sure Walt and company (especially Bryan Price) wanted Webb but wanted him at their price and Texas' offer likely made more sense for Webb financially.

TheBigLebowski
12-26-2010, 07:48 PM
BWebb got a 1 year deal with Texas. I don't know the terms, but they could not have been that lucrative...likely incentive-based, which would be fine for us.

Webb's still young...31 Y/O...local guy with tremendous upside and a pitching style that fits GABP like a speedo...and the dude paraded around his dr. like a trophy wife during the hot stove meetings in an effort to prove he should fully recover. He would be the perfect guy for us to take a chance on. If it works, we get a TOR guy who throws a lot of ground balls and also gives us a lot of flexibility to deal from our wealth of starting pitching to improve in other areas.....like, say, SS, LF, a legit leadoff guy....maybe a new bullpen arm to replace King Arthur....

It's certainly possible that there is something about Webb we laypeople don't know.....after all, the team with the deepest pockets in the bigs, the Yanks, passed on him when they could have easily out-bid anyone who would have been involved.....but on the surface, given the info I am privy to, I think we might have missed a good opp here.

Old NDN
12-26-2010, 08:36 PM
BWebb got a 1 year deal with Texas. I don't know the terms, but they could not have been that lucrative...likely incentive-based, which would be fine for us.

Webb's still young...31 Y/O...local guy with tremendous upside and a pitching style that fits GABP like a speedo...and the dude paraded around his dr. like a trophy wife during the hot stove meetings in an effort to prove he should fully recover. He would be the perfect guy for us to take a chance on. If it works, we get a TOR guy who throws a lot of ground balls and also gives us a lot of flexibility to deal from our wealth of starting pitching to improve in other areas.....like, say, SS, LF, a legit leadoff guy....maybe a new bullpen arm to replace King Arthur....

It's certainly possible that there is something about Webb we laypeople don't know.....after all, the team with the deepest pockets in the bigs, the Yanks, passed on him when they could have easily out-bid anyone who would have been involved.....but on the surface, given the info I am privy to, I think we might have missed a good opp here.

Agree. It seems the Reds are sitting on their hands when it comes to improving/adding to this club, and HOPING they get better next year ...... while most of the NL Central teams are at least making moves TRYING to improve their teams. Dissapointed.

12-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Webb wanted to spot in the rotation, and the Reds are full right now. I think this is less the Reds passing on Webb, and more Webb passing on the Reds. I think if the Reds guaranteed him a spot in the rotation, he would have signed with the Reds. But they couldn't and Texas could, so he signed with Texas.

davereds24
12-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Or he just chose to go to a place where he has a better shot to crack the rotation and get his career back on track.

Vottomatic
12-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Agree. It seems the Reds are sitting on their hands when it comes to improving/adding to this club, and HOPING they get better next year ...... while most of the NL Central teams are at least making moves TRYING to improve their teams. Dissapointed.

I ended last season excited about next season. I also realized the Reds had holes to fill and improve upon, expecting some off season moves.

The off season isn't over yet, but the Reds have been very silent while other teams in the NL Central have improved enough on paper for me to think we're going to finish third at best.

I don't want to make a move for the sake of making a move. But I don't like the sitting on our hands/we won the NL Central with the same team last year concept. We got crushed in the playoffs. And I mean crushed. The team that crushed us decided to get even more better signing Cliff Lee. We decide we're good enough.

It smells of the Mike Brown business philosophy. Reds management seems to be telling their fans that while they're not good enough to win it all, they're good enough to sell more tickets, and maybe that's all they really care about.

TheBigLebowski
12-27-2010, 12:16 PM
One year deal with a base salary of three mil plus incentives.

Bah, just my opinion (obviously), but I think we should have taken a flyer here. Oh well...no sense in crying over spilled egg nog.

Eric the Red
12-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Buster Olney via twitter reported that the incentives could push Webb's total deal to $8-10 million, which would not have been in the Reds budget. It's ashame because I, like most others would have been really excited to have him.

TheBigLebowski
12-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Buster Olney via twitter reported that the incentives could push Webb's total deal to $8-10 million, which would not have been in the Reds budget. It's ashame because I, like most others would have been really excited to have him.

I dunno if we can really say that.....if Webb has the type of season that would have escalated those incentives that high, chances are Cast/Jock would do it in a heartbeat....bottom line is that all we'd definitely owe is the 3 mil....that's why incentive-laden contracts for guys like Webb are so attractive to GM's....you know you don't have to lay out that much smack unless the player earns it.

Eric the Red
12-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I dunno if we can really say that.....if Webb has the type of season that would have escalated those incentives that high, chances are Cast/Jock would do it in a heartbeat....bottom line is that all we'd definitely owe is the 3 mil....that's why incentive-laden contracts for guys like Webb are so attractive to GM's....you know you don't have to lay out that much smack unless the player earns it.

Fair point. I'm sure the Reds were willing to match the $3 million base (was set aside for Rhodes anyway) but wouldn't go to Texas' level on the incentives. I have heard murmurs that Webb preferred Cincy for various reasons so I have to imagine Walt and company just didn't want to offer what Texas did in terms of incentives which is a bit puzzling.

TheBigLebowski
12-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Fair point. I'm sure the Reds were willing to match the $3 million base (was set aside for Rhodes anyway) but wouldn't go to Texas' level on the incentives. I have heard murmurs that Webb preferred Cincy for various reasons so I have to imagine Walt and company just didn't want to offer what Texas did in terms of incentives which is a bit puzzling.

Well, all we can really do at this point is hope that the Webb money is now earmarked to improve another position....or just hope that the Reds' Brass was more well-informed about Webb's potential for recovery than us and therefore we passed. Still, the fact that we were one of the final two teams in the bidding shows me, at least, that we liked what we saw and felt there was some real upside to be had there.

It will be very interesting indeed to see how Webb fares next season. I know I will be paying close attention.

Eric the Red
12-27-2010, 09:07 PM
It will be very interesting indeed to see how Webb fares next season. I know I will be paying close attention.

As will I. Hopefully, Bailey or Leake will take a step forward and be the pitcher we thought Webb would be. As has been stated previously, shouler injuries can be career killers.