PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NFL Draft

Sea Ray
12-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Does anyone know if a date has been set for this yet? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm wondering if labor unrest has prevented them from setting a date yet. Their normal April weekend is Easter this year. I don't know if that's a problem for them or not

Oxilon
12-27-2010, 12:13 AM
I swear I'm going to flip out if the Bengals draft AJ Green.

webbbj
12-27-2010, 12:47 AM
i cant answer ur question but who ever the bengals pick it will be the wrong pick. oh and congrats marvin lewis and Carson palmer on saving ur jobs, I cant freaking wait to watch ur mediocrity another 2-4 years. then ill get the pleasure of you 2 passing down ur mediocrity to the next group of clowns.

Kingspoint
01-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Agree.

Mario-Rijo
01-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Despite the emergences of Dunlap, Johnson and Atkins I bet they go DaQuan Bowers if available. Bowers and Johnson on the ends, Dunlap inside to take over for Tank, next to Peko and Atkins in for Peko on passing downs. Just my gut, which means they will probably go with Cam Newton.

Caveat Emperor
01-02-2011, 11:11 AM
i cant answer ur question but who ever the bengals pick it will be the wrong pick. oh and congrats marvin lewis and Carson palmer on saving ur jobs, I cant freaking wait to watch ur mediocrity another 2-4 years. then ill get the pleasure of you 2 passing down ur mediocrity to the next group of clowns.

I'd love to own this as a jersey:
http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key[name],value[BUST]&set=key[number],value[1]&set=key[displaysize],value[220]&load=url[http://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p2754837_customback.chain]

texasdave
01-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know if a date has been set for this yet? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm wondering if labor unrest has prevented them from setting a date yet. Their normal April weekend is Easter this year. I don't know if that's a problem for them or not

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/03/2011-nfl-mock-draft-verson-1-0-it-all-begins-with-andrew-luck/

The dates of the 2011 draft with a mock draft to boot.

Benihana
01-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Why?

I believe the draft is April 28-30. My order of preference for the Bengals goes like this:

1. Andrew Luck QB (will need more than "luck" for him to be available, although the Bengals have traded for the #1 pick with Carolina before)
2. Da'Quan Bowers DE
3. AJ Green WR
4. Nick Fairley DT
5. Robert Quinn DE

In the 2nd round, I'd like to see them take the best OL or S on the board.

Sea Ray
01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
If the Bengals lose one of their CBs to free agency then the pick has to be Peterson

Hoosier Red
01-04-2011, 10:46 AM

I thought I heard them discussing that this would be the last thing to occur before a possible lockout. So it really stinks for a college junior who would get drafted and then immediately locked out.

Todd Gack
01-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Why? If he's the best athlete on the board, then why not? He's an excellent WR and someone who I think will be an excellent pro.

With that said, I think there will be better options with Bowers and Fairley.

Todd Gack
01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
If the Bengals lose one of their CBs to free agency then the pick has to be Peterson

I disagree. Cornerback is an overrated position in the league along with WR. Look at the top defenses in the league and think about the cornerbacks on their team. Pittsburgh has never had a 'great' CB and yet, they consistently remain one of the best defenses in the league. If you generate a pass rush, you don't need great corners.

bucksfan2
01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I disagree. Cornerback is an overrated position in the league along with WR. Look at the top defenses in the league and think about the cornerbacks on their team. Pittsburgh has never had a 'great' CB and yet, they consistently remain one of the best defenses in the league. If you generate a pass rush, you don't need great corners.

Disagree. Some of the great defenses in recent history had a great secondary or a great defender. The Jets D was great last season because of Revis. The Pats of a few years ago had a great D because of Ty Law. Those two players were able to shut down the opponent's best player. The Ravens and their great D had both Reed and McAllister in their secondary and even though he isn't a CB Polamalu makes the Steelers go.

Caveat Emperor
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Why?

I believe the draft is April 28-30. My order of preference for the Bengals goes like this:

1. Andrew Luck QB (will need more than "luck" for him to be available, although the Bengals have traded for the #1 pick with Carolina before)
2. Da'Quan Bowers DE
3. AJ Green WR
4. Nick Fairley DT
5. Robert Quinn DE

I think the #1 pick will be available -- especially if no CBA has been signed with a rookie salary system by the date of the draft. I highly doubt Luck is going to CAR. My guess is that whoever is hired as their next head coach will get the gig by saying the magic words to ownership "I can win with Jimmy Clausen." That means no Luck for CAR.

Having said that, I think the Bengals would be wiser to concentrate on solving their issues up front on the O-Line and D-Line before moving into the QB search phase.

Sea Ray
01-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Peterson can also return kicks and contribute on special teams.

Actually I think you could make a better case that WR is an overrated position than CB

Boss-Hog
01-04-2011, 11:52 AM
As far as cornerbacks go, I guarantee the Bengals will disagree with me, but even with his injury history, I'd much rather keep Jonathan Joseph over Leon Hall. I think it'd be extremely pricey to resign both of them.

WVRed
01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
My try at the top 10:

1.Carolina-Andrew Luck(QB-Stanford)-obvious

2.Denver-Patrick Peterson(CB-LSU)-Champ Bailey isn't getting any younger, and Peterson is an elite CB who can replace him.

3.Buffalo-Blaine Gabbert(QB-Missouri)-I think they take a QB over a defensive player, and Gabbert's stock will rise.

4.Cincinnati-DaQuan Bowers(DE-Clemson)-Bowers and Dunlap will give the Bengals a nice DE tandem for the next decade.

5.Arizona-Cam Newton(QB-Auburn)-Newton has the most upside of any QB in the draft, but is still a raw project.

6.Cleveland-Nick Fairley(DT-Auburn)-I see this being a defensive pick, especially with Holmgren calling it.

7.San Francisco-Ryan Mallett(QB-Arkansas)-The 4th QB to go in the top ten. It's safe to say Alex Smith is a bust.

8.Tennessee-Marcell Dareus(DE/DT-Alabama)-Tennessee needs help on the defensive line.

9.Dallas-Prince Amukamara(CB-Nebraska)-Same situation with Denver, Terrence Newman isn't getting any younger and there really isn't much help on the opposite side of him.

10.Washington-AJ Green(WR-Georgia)-Green should be picked a lot higher than this but given teams needs at QB and defense and questionable character issues will fall.

IslandRed
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I think the #1 pick will be available -- especially if no CBA has been signed with a rookie salary system by the date of the draft.

I think it's a six/half-dozen situation with respect to the pick. First, let's hypothesize that Carolina's new coach, whoever it ends up being, thinks Clausen can play. If not, the discussion's a moot point. But let's say the Panthers like Andrew Luck but don't have to have him. If there's no CBA with a rookie scale, then sure, they'd probably rather deal the pick than stroke a $50 million check. But very few teams are willing to trade up for the privilege of writing that check. Now, let's suppose the new CBA gets done and there's a rookie scale. Suddenly, the Panthers could easily afford Luck -- and so could everyone else. Bidding war, anyone? No telling what kind of haul they could get for the pick in that instance.

CTA513
01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Its been announced that the #1 pick is returning to Stanford.

Sea Ray
01-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Is that nuts or what?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Didn't he see what happened to Jake Locker?

There will likely be a rookie wage scale in 2012

Does this mean Harbaugh is returning?

Caveat Emperor
01-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Is that nuts or what?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Didn't he see what happened to Jake Locker?

There will likely be a rookie wage scale in 2012

Does this mean Harbaugh is returning?

If there's a rookie wage scale, it'll be in place for the 2011 season. No owner will do a contract with any draft picks until the CBA is in place, and no way the owners miss an opportunity to depress the salary structure immediately.

I'm sure Luck did his legwork (or had people do legwork for him) and realized that there will be a rookie scale, and a good chance OTAs (which would be valuable to him, as a rookie, if he wants to immediately start) will be wiped in the offseason. When you add in that he's likely heading to a franchise in total tail-spin, looking to do stuff on the cheap, if he declares for the 2011 draft, this becomes a much bigger toss-up question.

Can't argue with the decision either way, IMO.

LoganBuck
01-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Daquon Bowers is now the odds on pick for Carolina.

Denver is still likely to take Peterson

Buffalo supposedly wants a defensive lineman, so Nick Fairley is the odds on choice there.

Suddenly AJ Green is shooting to best player available on the Bengals draft board.

Sea Ray
01-06-2011, 03:36 PM
If there's a rookie wage scale, it'll be in place for the 2011 season. No owner will do a contract with any draft picks until the CBA is in place, and no way the owners miss an opportunity to depress the salary structure immediately.

I'm sure Luck did his legwork (or had people do legwork for him) and realized that there will be a rookie scale, and a good chance OTAs (which would be valuable to him, as a rookie, if he wants to immediately start) will be wiped in the offseason. When you add in that he's likely heading to a franchise in total tail-spin, looking to do stuff on the cheap, if he declares for the 2011 draft, this becomes a much bigger toss-up question.

Can't argue with the decision either way, IMO.

No way a CBA is in place by April 28th. I don't think they can retroactively put a wage scale in after the fact. There'll be no legal way they can keep the owners from signing players once they're drafted

LoganBuck
01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
No way a CBA is in place by April 28th. I don't think they can retroactively put a wage scale in after the fact. There'll be no legal way they can keep the owners from signing players once they're drafted

I think Cowherd or a guest of his touched on this, this week. Apparently it does apply to new players. The 2011 draft is the last thing collectively bargained. The drafted players can not sign contracts until the CBA is determined. Therefore they will be subject to the rookie wage scale. If I understood them correctly there will be no undrafted free agents signed until the new CBA is agreed to.

All the draft does is ensure that each team has exclusive negotiating rights with a player. This will still be the case this year. The players just won't be able to sign until the new CBA comes into existence

Sea Ray
01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I think Cowherd or a guest of his touched on this, this week. Apparently it does apply to new players. The 2011 draft is the last thing collectively bargained. The drafted players can not sign contracts until the CBA is determined. Therefore they will be subject to the rookie wage scale. If I understood them correctly there will be no undrafted free agents signed until the new CBA is agreed to.

All the draft does is ensure that each team has exclusive negotiating rights with a player. This will still be the case this year. The players just won't be able to sign until the new CBA comes into existence

:thumbup:

Tom Servo
01-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Well my hopes and dreams are crushed.

WVRed
01-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Daquon Bowers is now the odds on pick for Carolina.

Denver is still likely to take Peterson

Buffalo supposedly wants a defensive lineman, so Nick Fairley is the odds on choice there.

Suddenly AJ Green is shooting to best player available on the Bengals draft board.

Not necessarily on Buffalo. I think Blaine Gabbert could be an attractive option for the Bills.

Even then, Marcell Dareus is somebody I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals take. Especially if they go to a 3-4 hybrid defense.

Slyder
01-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Ryan Mallett just declared for the NFL draft.

Prediction: Someone is going to fall in absolute love with him to be very, very, very disappointed.

Razor Shines
01-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Brian Kenny had someone on his show saying that Luck still probably gave up $20-30M guaranteed.

Seems like his value couldn't be any higher than it is now.

Maybe him and Harbaugh have a deal that they'll both return and hopefully next year Harbaugh will take a job with a team that he likes more and have a chance to draft Luck?

Oxilon
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Why?

2. Da'Quan Bowers DE
3. AJ Green WR
4. Nick Fairley DT
5. Robert Quinn DE

WR is the most overrated position in the NFL. Sure, it's nice to have a big target that can stretch the field, but it's still an overrated position. The game is won and lost in the trenches. Give your QB some time, he'll eventually find somebody open (Andre Johnson or Quan Cosby). Considering there's no O-Lineman worthy of the #4 overall pick (Thanks Andre Smith), I'd take Bowers or hope somebody gets desperate and is willing to trade up (unlikely given this year's overall draft class).

Slyder
01-06-2011, 10:01 PM
You need to have someone other teams have to respect or else all the top linemen in the world are not going to be able to block 8-9 guys in the box on every running play.

MikeThierry
01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
WR is the most overrated position in the NFL. Sure, it's nice to have a big target that can stretch the field, but it's still an overrated position. The game is won and lost in the trenches. Give your QB some time, he'll eventually find somebody open (Andre Johnson or Quan Cosby). Considering there's no O-Lineman worthy of the #4 overall pick (Thanks Andre Smith), I'd take Bowers or hope somebody gets desperate and is willing to trade up (unlikely given this year's overall draft class).

I don't know if you can call any position overrated in this league. If you were a Rams fan, you would think differently on this position. What was amazing about Bradford this year is that he set records for completions and attempts by a rookie QB with the likes of Danny Amendola as the #1 receiver on the Rams. However, the Rams did not have a deep threat that could separate from defensive players. This hurt them in several of their games including their final game against Seattle. A good receiver will also open up the run game more as well. I am excited to see how well Bradford will progress next year when we get him a true #1 WR. This should help out Steven Jackson as well.

Since Luck is out of the mix, I think Blaine Gabbert will be the #1 QB in the draft. This guy was fun to watch at Mizzou. The only concern I have about him is that at times when he got in trouble in the pocket, he would not exactly make the right decision at the right time. This can be fixed though.

Slyder
01-06-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't know if you can call any position overrated in this league. If you were a Rams fan, you would think differently on this position. What was amazing about Bradford this year is that he set records for completions and attempts by a rookie QB with the likes of Danny Amendola as the #1 receiver on the Rams. However, the Rams did not have a deep threat that could separate from defensive players. This hurt them in several of their games including their final game against Seattle. A good receiver will also open up the run game more as well. I am excited to see how well Bradford will progress next year when we get him a true #1 WR. This should help out Steven Jackson as well.

Since Luck is out of the mix, I think Blaine Gabbert will be the #1 QB in the draft. This guy was fun to watch at Mizzou. The only concern I have about him is that at times when he got in trouble in the pocket, he would not exactly make the right decision at the right time. This can be fixed though.

I personally like the guy from TCU myself.

MikeThierry
01-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Speaking of Blaine Gabbert, Todd Mcshay and Mel Kipper have him as the #1 QB to take in the draft.

LoganBuck
01-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Speaking of Blaine Gabbert, Todd Mcshay and Mel Kipper have him as the #1 QB to take in the draft.

Without Luck in this draft the QB position feels forced. Kind of like, "We kept saying that these guys should be high first round picks, now what?"

I kind of like Gabbert, but I wouldn't blow the first pick on him.