PDA

View Full Version : Brewers, Takashi Saito agree to deal

Hondo
12-27-2010, 04:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5960309

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Brewers have agreed to a one-year deal with right-handed relief pitcher Takashi Saito.

Saito was 2-3 with a 2.83 ERA in 56 appearances for the Atlanta Braves last season. He has a 17-13 career record with a 2.19 ERA in five major league seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Boston and Atlanta.

The 40-year-old native of Japan also has 84 career saves, including 81 with the Dodgers from 2006-08.

Saito, who is expected to fill the setup role for closer John Axford, joins a radically remade Brewers pitching staff.

The team made two significant trades for starting pitching earlier this month, acquiring 2009 Cy Young winner Zack Greinke from Kansas City and Shaun Marcum from Toronto.

Looks like another Nice addition to Milwaukee's transformed Pitching staff... Nice under the radar move that will pay divends...

Dude has a career ERA of 2.19

I am not saying the Reds should have signed Saito... But Gee Whiz Walt... Could we please Improve the Reds team some how? Some way for 2011? A lead off Hitter not named Scott Posednik or an Offensive SS...

Please Walt... Please.

Vottomatic
12-27-2010, 05:15 PM
I think the Reds were a one hit wonder this past season.

The other teams woke up and scratched their heads wondering how the Reds won the NL Central and realized it was theirs for the taking.

Meanwhile, Walt & Bob think the Reds are just fine.

The Reds will finish no better than third next season. Mark it down.

brm7675
12-27-2010, 05:27 PM
so you want them to trade for and sign for players we don't need just to make a move?

brm7675
12-27-2010, 05:30 PM

The other teams woke up and scratched their heads wondering how the Reds won the NL Central and realized it was theirs for the taking.

How have the Cards improved themselves? How have the Cubs or Stros or Pirates? The Brewers have added 3 pitchers, so that now leaps them above the Reds? how many games behind the Reds did the Brewers finish last year.....oh yea 14...sorry they have given up talent to add a bit of pitching and we are only going to get better as our younger players mature.

Hondo
12-27-2010, 06:00 PM
How have the Cards improved themselves? How have the Cubs or Stros or Pirates? The Brewers have added 3 pitchers, so that now leaps them above the Reds? how many games behind the Reds did the Brewers finish last year.....oh yea 14...sorry they have given up talent to add a bit of pitching and we are only going to get better as our younger players mature.

He said 3rd, the Pirates, Bucs, and Cubbies have nothing to do with it...

I think the Reds can beat the Cardinals... But the Brewers have improved immensely. The Reds standing pat and giving Cairo a 500,000 raise is not good for the morale of the team or the fanbase...

brm7675
12-27-2010, 06:12 PM
He said 3rd, the Pirates, Bucs, and Cubbies have nothing to do with it...

I think the Reds can beat the Cardinals... But the Brewers have improved immensely. The Reds standing pat and giving Cairo a 500,000 raise is not good for the morale of the team or the fanbase...

A) it's only the end of December
b) Whom that has moved/signed should the Reds have gotten that would have greatly improved the team morale?
C) How does adding 3 pitcher immensely improve a team with one of the overal worse pitching staff's last year. Are those 3 going to pitch everyday?

Hondo
12-27-2010, 06:20 PM
A) it's only the end of December
b) Whom that has moved/signed should the Reds have gotten that would have greatly improved the team morale?
C) How does adding 3 pitcher immensely improve a team with one of the overal worse pitching staff's last year. Are those 3 going to pitch everyday?

1. Glad you have a calendar.
2. Greinke, Webb, are the only 2 off the top of my head.
3. We have already Debated this. You are in denial if you think the Brew Crew wont be a force to reckon with in 2011.

brm7675
12-27-2010, 06:35 PM
1. Glad you have a calendar.
2. Greinke, Webb, are the only 2 off the top of my head.
3. We have already Debated this. You are in denial if you think the Brew Crew wont be a force to reckon with in 2011.

Didn't say they won't be a force, but they finished 14 games back last season, they won't have the same offensive outputs like they did last year, will probably have to trade a guy or two before the deadline or lose them without getting anything. But as or right now, they still don't have the talent the Reds do. They have maybe 2 position players (3rd/LF) that are better then the Reds, but no other position and I will take our pitching staff top to bottom over there's anyday.

Vottomatic
12-27-2010, 07:07 PM
The Reds have a bunch of #3 starters. Cardinals have 3 #1's. Brewers atleast have 1 #1.

Reds have proven to go silent with the bats against good pitching. They don't know how to manufacture runs. Reds have no quality tablesetter, and Votto was pitched around in the playoffs because we have no quality bat hitting behind him.

Those are the weaknesses needed improved upon and Walt is asleep at the wheel.

If the Reds make the playoffs again, they will end in the same weak result. You can blame management's lackadaisical approach.

nmculbreth
12-27-2010, 07:36 PM
The Reds have a bunch of #3 starters. Cardinals have 3 #1's. Brewers atleast have 1 #1.

Not to pick nits but while Wainwright and Carpenter are both SP1 but I'll be darned if I can figure out the third SP1 on their staff. Westbrook? Garcia? Both are good back of the rotation starters but neither is anything close to an ace. Clearly you can't be talking about Lohse, who is a mediocre back of the rotation starter.

In all honest, I think the concept of trying to designate SP1, SP2, etc. is completely overrated. While the Reds don't have a prototypical top of the rotations starter, they've got more depth at the position than anyone in the division. While this may end up hurting the Reds in a playoff scenario, their depth is a big advantage over the course of a 162 game season.

When the Cardinals ran into injury problems last season they had to rely on PJ Walters and Blake Hawksworth, the Reds had Wood, Lecure and Maloney.

arkimadee
12-27-2010, 07:38 PM

Reds have proven to go silent with the bats against good pitching. They don't know how to manufacture runs. Reds have no quality tablesetter, and Votto was pitched around in the playoffs because we have no quality bat hitting behind him.

If the Reds make the playoffs again, they will end in the same weak result. You can blame management's lackadaisical approach.
well crap.. there goes my watching the Reds this season. thanks man

brm7675
12-27-2010, 07:44 PM

I would disagree, I would say Cueto is easily a Number 1 with Wood a 1b and leake the potintial to be 2A. If Edison returns to form which there is no reason to think not he has Ace stuff. Add in there the durability of Bronson and the hope Bailiey figures it out and long term (next 4-5 years) give me our staff over either of those any day.

We have the hitters, they are maturing, Bruce can be Votto's protection, Put Stubbs and Phillips 1/2 and you have your OB guys. Again it's easy to say we need to make changes or add something, but if no one is available to upgrade your weakness (LF/3rd base) then what is he to do?

brm7675
12-27-2010, 07:50 PM

how many seasons do you think Carpenter has with his temper and their poor D?

smixsell
12-28-2010, 02:39 PM

You're dead wrong chum.

UPRedsFan
12-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I would bet that Cards fans and Brewers fans are scared of the Reds depth and youth. We really only have one hole - left field/leadoff.

Pony Boy
12-29-2010, 10:19 AM
I think that it is reasonable to expect that the starting staff, excluding Bronson, will improve from last season.

-We have 6 established MLB starters (and 2 more in Louisville that have shown that they can spot start and be competitive).
-We have 4 starters that are 25 or younger.
-We have 5 starters that are 27 or younger.
-We have the #1 starting pitching prospect in baseball.

Our rotation is only going to get better. Walt is 100% correct in not tinkering with it.