PDA

View Full Version : Reds looking for vet OF or INF.

Ron Madden
12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
From JFay's blog.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/12/30/jocketty-reds-looking-for-vet-of-inf/

edabbs44
12-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Jocketty confirmed that the Reds had spoken to agents for both Scott Podsednik and Edgar Renteria.

I could see Renteria getting a spot, due to history.

Edd Roush
12-30-2010, 05:24 PM
I would like any remaining money to go towards Fred Lewis. If there is any left over, I would be fine with bringing in Renteria as a back-up.

Jpup
12-30-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm for signing Renteria if it's only a couple million. He and Janish could split time.

mth123
12-30-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm OK with Renteria if he's cheap. GABP may bump his numbers a little. I'd prefer he and Cairo as an either/or though and not both.

Just say no to Willy 'er Scott Podsednik. Still hoping for Damon with Lewis as a consolation prize.

Puffy
12-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Why do people keep bringing up Fred Lewis? What am I missing here? Guy has no power for a leftfielder (in his only season with over 500 plate appearances he still only managed to hit 9 home runs), his career numbers against right handed pitchers, as a lefty, is only .776 - Gomes can come close to that number. I don't get it - surely there are way, way, way better targets.

RedLegSuperStar
12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Like OCab.. Renteria is a winner. No doubt about it the guy just gets to the big game. I'm for it. His range isn't what it used to be.. But he is the World Series MVP. Add Scotty Pod, lock up Votto and this team has had a successful offseason.

mth123
12-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Why do people keep bringing up Fred Lewis? What am I missing here? Guy has no power for a leftfielder (in his only season with over 500 plate appearances he still only managed to hit 9 home runs), his career numbers against right handed pitchers, as a lefty, is only .776 - Gomes can come close to that number. I don't get it - surely there are way, way, way better targets.

Right now, not so much. Its why all the "its early in the off-season" stuff doesn't wash with me. The better reasonable options (Dejesus and Willingham for example) have already been moved. I'd rather have a power lefty too, but the team is on record to be looking for lead-off types. After Damon, Lewis is the best still out there.

Ron Madden
12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
I messed up the title of this thread. :bang:

It should be... Reds looking for vet OF, INF.

Will M
12-30-2010, 07:03 PM
I would like any remaining money to go towards Fred Lewis. If there is any left over, I would be fine with bringing in Renteria as a back-up.

+1

Barring a trade this is the way I would go with the little bit of money the Reds claim to have. Damon would be the other guy on my wish list but i think he will cost too much.

The Voice of IH
12-30-2010, 07:10 PM
The Reds will not be able to sign Renteria cheap.
Edgar Renteria says Giants' 1M Offer is 'a total disrespect' (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5928384)

I don't understand why Janish and Chris V. won't do the job at short. I think they're great.

Red in Chicago
12-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Edgar Renteria says Giants' 1M Offer is 'a total disrespect' (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5928384)

I don't understand why Janish and Chris V. won't do the job at short. I think they're great.

Boy I should to be so disrespected...:rolleyes:

The Voice of IH
12-30-2010, 07:18 PM
why not take the 4 mil and go sign Damon, now that would be awesome.

RedLegSuperStar
12-30-2010, 07:34 PM
why not take the 4 mil and go sign Damon, now that would be awesome.

Cause I'm sure Damon wants twice that. He'll be pushing for the Jeter/Werth approach.. Not years but he'll use those two as examples to get the most out of a team

The Voice of IH
12-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Cause I'm sure Damon wants twice that. He'll be pushing for the Jeter/Werth approach.. Not years but he'll use those two as examples to get the most out of a team

How much did he make last year?

Johnny Footstool
12-30-2010, 07:39 PM

Too much. Way, way too much.

Captain Hook
12-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Too much. Way, way too much.

More then 4x as much as Gomes made last year.

It might surprise a few around here to here that last season Gomes actually outperformed Damon just slightly.I suppose it's debatable who had the better year but, when the money is considered there's not any doubt.

Tom Servo
12-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I think Renteria could put up good numbers playing half his games at GABP.

Mario-Rijo
12-30-2010, 08:24 PM

I don't see why everyone in the lineup has to have power? I don't even see why guys have to have power if they play a certain position. If I have Chase Utley, Hanley Ramirez, Brian McCann & Carlos Beltran up the middle do I still need power at the corners? If I only have one or 2 of them can't I substitute OBP in a COF spot? Just curious as to peoples real feelings on this issue. I understand power improves every hit balls chances of being successful but It's not a neccessity, plenty of guys without it have been sound year in and year out in their careers.

Fred Lewis had only 8 HR's in 480 PA's last season in a similar HR friendly ballpark, ok. He also had 31 doubles and 5 triples. Bottom line with Fred Lewis is aside from not being a powerhouse he doesn't really have any discernable weaknesses. That in itself has alot of value. Not to mention he has a career .350 OBP% which is a big upgrade on this team, one of the 3 worst top of the lineups in the majors last year at getting on base.

RedLegSuperStar
12-30-2010, 08:24 PM

We had to say that about OCab..

edabbs44
12-30-2010, 08:51 PM

I was going to post the same thing this morning.

Spitball
12-30-2010, 09:43 PM

I believe he made $8 million.

Kc61
12-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't see why everyone in the lineup has to have power?

Fred Lewis had only 8 HR's in 480 PA's last season in a similar HR friendly ballpark, ok. He also had 31 doubles and 5 triples. Bottom line with Fred Lewis is aside from not being a powerhouse he doesn't really have any discernable weaknesses. That in itself has alot of value. Not to mention he has a career .350 OBP% which is a big upgrade on this team, one of the 3 worst top of the lineups in the majors last year at getting on base.

The Reds really could use two players. A shortstop and a left fielder. One is a lefty or switch hitting lead off man. Doesn't need power, just a high OBP.

The other is a right hitting cleanup man to separate Votto and Bruce. Would move Rolen to sixth in the lineup.

Imagine the lineup -

Switch hitting high OBP shortstop
Phillips
Votto
Legit RH power left fielder
Bruce
Rolen
Stubbs
Hernandez/Hanigan
Pitcher

If the Reds had the resources, this would be the way to go. Quite a lineup.

Instead, they seem to be looking at platoon leadoff guy for LF and a guy to share SS with Janish.

I agree with many posters, if this is the concept, then Fred Lewis and Renteria are probably the best duo we can reasonably expect. So, against righties, we have -

Lewis or Posednik
Phillips
Votto
Rolen
Bruce
Stubbs
Hernandez/Hanigan
Janish/Renteria
Pitcher

Against lefties probably Stubbs moves up to leadoff, Gomes hits fifth, Bruce drops down to sixth.

I agree, if this is the scenario, hope Reds sign Lewis.

Spitball
12-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Seems to me that Fred Lewis's 2010 statistical success was due to a very good May and pretty good July. Otherwise, he was not so good.

Griffey012
12-30-2010, 11:04 PM

I am all for a Renteria signing on the cheap, but I would hope he would play a bout a 60/40 split with Janish overall.

So hopefully he would only play a little more than a quarter of the games at GABP

Griffey012
12-30-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm OK with Renteria if he's cheap. GABP may bump his numbers a little. I'd prefer he and Cairo as an either/or though and not both.

Just say no to Willy 'er Scott Podsednik. Still hoping for Damon with Lewis as a consolation prize.

I don't get why people like to compare Willy to Scotty Pods. Willy had an OBP over .333 1 time in 5 full seasons. Scotty Pods has 4 of his 6 full seasons. Willy T slugged over .340 twice in those 5 seasons, Scotty Pods did it all 6 of his full seasons.

I'd prefer Lewis as a pickup, but he is not a whole lot better than Pods.

mth123
12-31-2010, 04:22 AM
I don't get why people like to compare Willy to Scotty Pods. Willy had an OBP over .333 1 time in 5 full seasons. Scotty Pods has 4 of his 6 full seasons. Willy T slugged over .340 twice in those 5 seasons, Scotty Pods did it all 6 of his full seasons.

I'd prefer Lewis as a pickup, but he is not a whole lot better than Pods.

You're right, no one matches the horror of Willy and comparing Pods to him was unfair.

Podsednik is a speed and defense guy who will be 35 in 2011 and who gets CS these days about 30% of the time and never was a very good defender. That would make his running game a negative as well as his defense (though his defense last year wasn't as bad). He has hit better the last couple years and has improved somewhat from the sub .700 OPS guy that he was in 2006 - 2008. The pessimist in me is expecting .650 OPS guy from 2008 with an increasing negative on the bases and his usual poor defense.

Lewis' critics are correct in that he's no great addition either. He is another guy who is not the best defender. His base stealing is more neutral than the clear negative Podsednik provides and he doesn't have the string of sub .700 OPS seasons to worry about. So, I lke him better than Podsednik and many of the poor choices still out there, but he's not somebody who really solves the problem, just the lesser of a number of evils.

I'm still hoping for Damon, but he's not ideal either. His defense is in decline and his running game is not a big weapon anymore, but he's really successful when he does run so it actually adds more value than Podsednik's or Lewis' higher SB totals do. Damon still gets on base at a good clip, and stays in the line-up (140 or more games played for 15 years in a row) but there is a fear of decline with his age and since I haven't watched him lately, I'm not sure whether his defense is declining quickly enough to make him unacceptable. Over his career he's been a much better defender than Lewis or Podsednik (who are both way better than Gomes). I'm still not a big WAR guy, but based on last year, his defense was 1.5 Wins better than that provided by Gomes, a half win better than Lewis and about the same as the resurgent Podsednik (but Damon spent a lot of time at DH which probably limited his negative value and a full season in LF would probably make him like Lewis). I like Damon the best simply because I think he's most likely to get on base frequently in front of Votto and Bruce without running the team out of a lot of scoring situations the way Phillips does or Podsednik is starting to do. If one of the roles needing filled is table setter in front of the big boys, Damon fills it better than anyone out there and at least compared to the 2010 baseline, should provide better baserunning in the lead-off spot and a little better defense in LF. I wouldn't go over $5 Million though, so getting him might be an issue.

This just points out that the protests from many that there is still a lot of off-season left is a little off base. The better targets have already been moved and what is left to choose from is basically the 5 PM on Christmas eve selection from the gift shop. Whether its Gomes or one of these guys, the Reds situation in LF will probably still be iffy, but if the team can adequately fill one of its key offensive roles with one of these additions (lead-off hitter or middle of the order producer) the overall team should still be improved. I've reached the point on believing that Gomes is lacking as the middle of the order thumper we need and adds really nothing else (with his defense a negative). Damon would at least provide a top of the order guy who adds smart baserunning, if not the all out havoc that many seem to want, and will be on base frequently when Votto and Bruce come to bat. He's also an improvement over Gomes defensively so he will help the team win games more than what the Reds aleady have and probably better than what else is out there at this point IMO.

Will M
12-31-2010, 04:52 AM
1) I have said before that I thought Cozart would start in AAA. The fact that the team is looking at Renteria makes me even more suspicious of this.

2) Gomes should not start vs a right handed pitcher. He was below replacement level last year because he is a poor defender & can't hit righties well. As a platoon left fielder who only plays vs left handed starters he is a useful player. Why? because he crushes left handed pitching & this makes us for his defensive shortcomings.

3) Lewis, Damon, Edmonds or Nix for LF plus Renteria for SS is about the best the team can do on the free agent market. Does anyone know of a lefty hitting outfielder we might snag for a spare part? We do seem to have a fair number of middle relievers.

3) If the team can get the above players I would put us at 88 wins +- 5 wins/losses. The lefty outfielder & 2nd SS do plug a couple of obvious holes.
Hopefully the improvement of our young players puts us ahead of the Brewers & Cardinals. Or we are in the hunt & Walt can swing a dealine deal with the guys stacking up in AAA.

mth123
12-31-2010, 07:54 AM
1) I have said before that I thought Cozart would start in AAA. The fact that the team is looking at Renteria makes me even more suspicious of this.

2) Gomes should not start vs a right handed pitcher. He was below replacement level last year because he is a poor defender & can't hit righties well. As a platoon left fielder who only plays vs left handed starters he is a useful player. Why? because he crushes left handed pitching & this makes us for his defensive shortcomings.

3) Lewis, Damon, Edmonds or Nix for LF plus Renteria for SS is about the best the team can do on the free agent market. Does anyone know of a lefty hitting outfielder we might snag for a spare part? We do seem to have a fair number of middle relievers.

3) If the team can get the above players I would put us at 88 wins +- 5 wins/losses. The lefty outfielder & 2nd SS do plug a couple of obvious holes.
Hopefully the improvement of our young players puts us ahead of the Brewers & Cardinals. Or we are in the hunt & Walt can swing a dealine deal with the guys stacking up in AAA.

LH or SH OF who might be available by trade:

1. Ryan Sweeney, OAK - .294/.342/.383/.725 last year in 331 PAs. The As additions of Dejesus and Willingham, last year's acquisition of Conor Jackson and the resigning of Coco Crisp may make him excess baggage. He'll be 26 in Feb. He's 6-4, 225 but had only moderate power. Hard to judge what the A's may want, but they seem a little short of lefty bullpen guys. They are the kind of stat oriented team that may value Danny Rae w/o holding his lack of size and stuff against him. The Reds would probably need to give more than that though.

2. Gerrardo Parra, AZ - Numbers were mediocre in 2010, but he was rushed up at age 21 and was a top 100 prospect prior to the 2009 season. They wanted Heisey earlier, I'd probably rather try something else but like the idea of his potential at the top of the order.

3. Nate Schierholtz, SF - another disappointing kid who is kind of an odd man out in SF. He'll be 27 in Feb and the Giants now with Burrell, Torres and Ross may not have room. They still have Aaron Rowand and maybe Mark Derosa or Pablo Sandoval who may get some OF time. The Giants could probably use one of the Reds excess RH relief arms. Maybe somebody like Burton or Fisher would be a fit in a deal.

4. Trevor Crowe or Michael Brantley, Cle - Crowe is a SH and Brantley a LH. They also have Sizemore and Choo and signed Austin Kearns. Both had sub .650 OPS in 2010, should be not too tough to obtain and are young enough to rebound a bit. This would probably not be my first choice.

5. Roger Bernadina, WAS, - The Nats signed Werth and Ankiel, Justin Maxwell is their up and comer. They are looking for ABs for Mike Morse and they have Matt Stairs on the bench. Bernadina will be 27 in June. He went .246/.307/.384/.691 in 461 PAs but unfortunately wasn't better versus just RHP. He can run a little, play good defense. Looks a lot like Nix with less power, but it shouldn't take much to get him. The Nats are looking for arms and an excess bullpen guy might entice them.

6. Will Venable, SD- Max' kid turned 28 at the end of October. He went .245/.324/.408/.732 with 13 HR in 445 PAs in a hitters nightmare in SD. He might be a good candidate for a bump in GABP. Since the Pads signed Brad Hawpe, he and Kyle Blanks might be the 1B/LF combo. With Maybin probably in CF, Ludwick in RF and guys like Chris Denorfia and Aaron Cunningham available, the Padres would probably be open to moving a 28 year old Venable for younger guys. That park might be a good place for Matt Maloney to provide value and it would probably be a good deal for both teams since SD lost some starters. The Reds may need to kick in another marginal arm, say Danny Rae for instance.

7. David Murphy, Tex - This guy turned 29 in October and is a good fit for a Gomes platoon. .291/.358/.449/.806 in 467 PAs. In 342 PAs against RHP he went .298/.368/.479/.847. With Cruz in RF, the Rangers may want to open the other corner for Josh Hamilton to keep him healthy. They have Julio Borbon and Engel Beltre as the future in CF. If they sign a bigger name DH, Murphy might be available. If the Rangers can sign Pavano, they may be more open to keeping Beltre and Borbon as opposed to packaging them for a starter. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd deal Alonso for this guy and maybe a lower level decent prospect (somebody alongthe lines of Miguel de los Santos). The Rangers replace Smoak in their pecking order with Alonso and the Reds convert a blocked excess at an abundant position to immediate production.

8. Matt Joyce, TB - we've discussed him earlier and I'm not sure if he's available. If so, he's my top choice.

9. Daniel Nava, Bos - Swith Hitter who has been a good minor leagie bat for a while now who finally got a look in 2010. He'll be 28 in February. He's probably excess and obtainable but not sure what the Sox may want that wouldn't be overpaying. Maybe Burton or Valiquette.

10. Nate McLouth, ATL - Owed $7.75 Million with his buy-out, but the Braves may be willing to move him and some cash for some salary relief and to open a spot for a RH bat. Might be a big comeback candidate in GABP. At worst he plays all the OF positions and shouldn't take a ton of talent to get.

I'd rank them: Joyce, Murphy, Sweeney, Venable, Bernadina followed by the others depending on who else the Reds get/have and it all depends on what the Reds would have to give up.

buckeyenut
12-31-2010, 08:42 AM
I've said it a couple of time, but the guy I want to sign to a 1 yr 5M contract is Manny Ramirez. He immediately drops into the cleanup slot between Votto and Bruce, allows you to move Rolen to 6th or 2nd, gets you the scary bat you want.

He is older, plays lousy defense and is a headcase, which is the only reason you might get him for 5M. But for a year, in a park he can rake in, I think it is worth the chance. The big thing with Manny IMO is a) he will draw fans in and b) at the plate, he has little downside risk because of his elite OBP. He is consistently over .400 even when the power is down.

edabbs44
12-31-2010, 09:10 AM
I've said it a couple of time, but the guy I want to sign to a 1 yr 5M contract is Manny Ramirez. He immediately drops into the cleanup slot between Votto and Bruce, allows you to move Rolen to 6th or 2nd, gets you the scary bat you want.

He is older, plays lousy defense and is a headcase, which is the only reason you might get him for 5M. But for a year, in a park he can rake in, I think it is worth the chance. The big thing with Manny IMO is a) he will draw fans in and b) at the plate, he has little downside risk because of his elite OBP. He is consistently over .400 even when the power is down.

I think there is zero chance of Manny coming to Cincy, outside of him being in the opposite dugout.

traderumor
12-31-2010, 09:37 AM
I think there is zero chance of Manny coming to Cincy, outside of him being in the opposite dugout.If it was the Bengals mindset, you might just as well use photoshop to see how he looks in a baggy Reds uni with dreds....Jim Bowden still at the helm, probably...but the current regime have been seemingly creating the opposite culture. He would fit here about as well as his uni.

Ron Madden
12-31-2010, 12:22 PM
I read that Renteria is looking for a two year deal.

Kc61
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
If the Reds sign a platoon left fielder and Renteria, they will have an all right handed bench when playing against righty pitching.

Cairo, Renteria, Hanigan or Hernandez, Gomes, Heisey.

No room for Francisco or, say, Nix off the bench. Five righty hitters.

Not ideal.

bucksfan2
12-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Not really sure where all the love for Nix is coming from. Guy has been a 5th OF type his entire career and can't stay healthy for an entire season. I wouldn't shed a tear if he doesn't come back.

Mario-Rijo
12-31-2010, 03:38 PM
If the Reds sign a platoon left fielder and Renteria, they will have an all right handed bench when playing against righty pitching.

Cairo, Renteria, Hanigan or Hernandez, Gomes, Heisey.

No room for Francisco or, say, Nix off the bench. Five righty hitters.

Not ideal.

Not sure they end up with Renteria anyhow, I bet they end up with just one of the 2 possibilities.

Will M
12-31-2010, 04:00 PM

1. Ryan Sweeney, OAK - .294/.342/.383/.725 last year in 331 PAs. The As additions of Dejesus and Willingham, last year's acquisition of Conor Jackson and the resigning of Coco Crisp may make him excess baggage. He'll be 26 in Feb. He's 6-4, 225 but had only moderate power. Hard to judge what the A's may want, but they seem a little short of lefty bullpen guys. They are the kind of stat oriented team that may value Danny Rae w/o holding his lack of size and stuff against him. The Reds would probably need to give more than that though.

2. Gerrardo Parra, AZ - Numbers were mediocre in 2010, but he was rushed up at age 21 and was a top 100 prospect prior to the 2009 season. They wanted Heisey earlier, I'd probably rather try something else but like the idea of his potential at the top of the order.

3. Nate Schierholtz, SF - another disappointing kid who is kind of an odd man out in SF. He'll be 27 in Feb and the Giants now with Burrell, Torres and Ross may not have room. They still have Aaron Rowand and maybe Mark Derosa or Pablo Sandoval who may get some OF time. The Giants could probably use one of the Reds excess RH relief arms. Maybe somebody like Burton or Fisher would be a fit in a deal.

4. Trevor Crowe or Michael Brantley, Cle - Crowe is a SH and Brantley a LH. They also have Sizemore and Choo and signed Austin Kearns. Both had sub .650 OPS in 2010, should be not too tough to obtain and are young enough to rebound a bit. This would probably not be my first choice.

5. Roger Bernadina, WAS, - The Nats signed Werth and Ankiel, Justin Maxwell is their up and comer. They are looking for ABs for Mike Morse and they have Matt Stairs on the bench. Bernadina will be 27 in June. He went .246/.307/.384/.691 in 461 PAs but unfortunately wasn't better versus just RHP. He can run a little, play good defense. Looks a lot like Nix with less power, but it shouldn't take much to get him. The Nats are looking for arms and an excess bullpen guy might entice them.

6. Will Venable, SD- Max' kid turned 28 at the end of October. He went .245/.324/.408/.732 with 13 HR in 445 PAs in a hitters nightmare in SD. He might be a good candidate for a bump in GABP. Since the Pads signed Brad Hawpe, he and Kyle Blanks might be the 1B/LF combo. With Maybin probably in CF, Ludwick in RF and guys like Chris Denorfia and Aaron Cunningham available, the Padres would probably be open to moving a 28 year old Venable for younger guys. That park might be a good place for Matt Maloney to provide value and it would probably be a good deal for both teams since SD lost some starters. The Reds may need to kick in another marginal arm, say Danny Rae for instance.

7. David Murphy, Tex - This guy turned 29 in October and is a good fit for a Gomes platoon. .291/.358/.449/.806 in 467 PAs. In 342 PAs against RHP he went .298/.368/.479/.847. With Cruz in RF, the Rangers may want to open the other corner for Josh Hamilton to keep him healthy. They have Julio Borbon and Engel Beltre as the future in CF. If they sign a bigger name DH, Murphy might be available. If the Rangers can sign Pavano, they may be more open to keeping Beltre and Borbon as opposed to packaging them for a starter. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd deal Alonso for this guy and maybe a lower level decent prospect (somebody alongthe lines of Miguel de los Santos). The Rangers replace Smoak in their pecking order with Alonso and the Reds convert a blocked excess at an abundant position to immediate production.

8. Matt Joyce, TB - we've discussed him earlier and I'm not sure if he's available. If so, he's my top choice.

9. Daniel Nava, Bos - Swith Hitter who has been a good minor leagie bat for a while now who finally got a look in 2010. He'll be 28 in February. He's probably excess and obtainable but not sure what the Sox may want that wouldn't be overpaying. Maybe Burton or Valiquette.

10. Nate McLouth, ATL - Owed $7.75 Million with his buy-out, but the Braves may be willing to move him and some cash for some salary relief and to open a spot for a RH bat. Might be a big comeback candidate in GABP. At worst he plays all the OF positions and shouldn't take a ton of talent to get.

I'd rank them: Joyce, Murphy, Sweeney, Venable, Bernadina followed by the others depending on who else the Reds get/have and it all depends on what the Reds would have to give up.

nice list. thanks a lot. it seems that there are some definite possibilities here.
the Reds have a lot of guys fighting for the 6th & 7th spots in the pen. it would be nice to move one of these guys for a LH hitting outfielder. several guys on your list seem better options than what the team is likely to get in the free agent market.

mth123
12-31-2010, 04:06 PM
nice list. thanks a lot. it seems that there are some definite possibilities here.
the Reds have a lot of guys fighting for the 6th & 7th spots in the pen. it would be nice to move one of these guys for a LH hitting outfielder. several guys on your list seem better options than what the team is likely to get in the free agent market.

Thanks, but these guys may not be available at all. Its just me looking at rosters and doing a little wishful thinking (as opposed to Podsednik anyway).

RedLegSuperStar
12-31-2010, 06:30 PM
I read that Renteria is looking for a two year deal.

I don't know if that is true or not. The Reds offered him a contract a couple weeks ago apparently. Renteria is looking to play 2 more years. He may get the 2011 + option. I'd base it on incentives. Have the 2nd year vest if he get x amount of PA and awards. As well as the 2011 portion of his deal.

Ron Madden
12-31-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't know if that is true or not. The Reds offered him a contract a couple weeks ago apparently. Renteria is looking to play 2 more years. He may get the 2011 + option. I'd base it on incentives. Have the 2nd year vest if he get x amount of PA and awards. As well as the 2011 portion of his deal.

I'm not real excited about signing Podsednik or Renteria for 1 year let alone 2.

I guess time will tell.

Wheelhouse
12-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Why no mention of Jeff Keppinger?

mth123
12-31-2010, 10:10 PM

They want somebody who can play SS. Keppinger is an abomination there. May as well use Cairo there if that is all they can do and save the roster spot for a LH bat.

Ron Madden
12-31-2010, 10:18 PM

The Reds would have to make a trade for Keppinger he'll make $2MM or more in 2011 he is arbitration eligible. He's not a very good SS.

kaldaniels
12-31-2010, 11:57 PM

If it happened a couple of weeks ago does that mean they were pursuing both Renteria and Rhodes, or either/or? Cause that's probably 6 Million easily between the 2 for 2011.

Mario-Rijo
01-01-2011, 12:46 AM
If it happened a couple of weeks ago does that mean they were pursuing both Renteria and Rhodes, or either/or? Cause that's probably 6 Million easily between the 2 for 2011.

Probably telling Renteria it was an official offer only if Arthur didn't re-sign. Otherwise good catch, maybe they do have a little more than they are saying, I'd say it's probably likely.

Homer Bailey
01-01-2011, 04:19 AM

Pretty awesome list. Well researched, and actually somewhat realistic. Sometimes a rarity for this site. Well done.

redsfan30
01-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Great?

Griffey012
01-01-2011, 11:21 AM

He was also the World Series MVP for the Giants, not the Reds. If the Reds offer something around 2 million for 1 year, it won't be viewed as disrepsectful, it will be viewed as market value.

Considering Miguel Cairo got 2 years at 2 million, Renteria has a point.

camisadelgolf
01-01-2011, 11:41 AM
He was also the World Series MVP for the Giants, not the Reds. If the Reds offer something around 2 million for 1 year, it won't be viewed as disrepsectful, it will be viewed as market value.

Considering Miguel Cairo got 2 years at 2 million, Renteria has a point.
Wow, I never thought of it like that. Very good point.