PDA

View Full Version : Trade Proposal: Lefty LeadOff Hitter

RedLegSuperStar
12-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Instead of going after a Scotty Podsednik or Edgar Renteria; I propose this deal:

Homer Bailey and Juan Francisco to Cleveland
Grady Sizemore and cash to the Reds

The Indians could use depth at 3rd and Bailey would slot in well after Carmona and Masterson.

Reds would get that Leadoff hitter and move Sizemore to LF.

Eric_the_Red
12-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Instead of going after a Scotty Podsednik or Edgar Renteria; I propose this deal:

Homer Bailey and Juan Francisco to Cleveland
Grady Sizemore and cash to the Reds

The Indians could use depth at 3rd and Bailey would slot in well after Carmona and Masterson.

Reds would get that Leadoff hitter and move Sizemore to LF.

Comfortable with Cairo as the backup 3B all season? And I think this deal may be giving up too much for Sizemore, until he shows that he is ready to be the all-star player he once was.

membengal
12-31-2010, 11:13 AM
I like that target (he's on my short never-to-be-realized wishlist). Not sure of what the price would have to be get him, as he's coming off injuries and not the player the last few years he was prior to that. That said, he's the kind of target that Walt made a living picking up at this kind of juncture in his StL tenure.

Presumably, money/budget is the stopper to any serious interest in Sizemore.

lollipopcurve
12-31-2010, 11:16 AM
I think this deal may be giving up too much for Sizemore, until he shows that he is ready to be the all-star player he once was.

Absolutely.

Plus Sizemore costs a lot. Plus he'll be a free agent soon. If he shows he's back to being the old Sizemore, no way the Reds could keep him away from free agency.

IMO, the team needs either a short-term guy on an affordable contract (allowing them to move onto Sappelt, Frazier or someone else affordable in 2012), or a young player who profiles as a regular for a few years under the team's control (Ellsbury, Gardner type).

Mario-Rijo
12-31-2010, 03:42 PM
I still think Kelly Johnson is a realistic target, probably better as a #2 hitter but he still represents an upgrade at the top of the lineup.

Will M
12-31-2010, 04:04 PM
i agree with the responders. it would be a big risk for the Reds to give up value for him right now.if Sizemore looks healthy in the spring them I'd be interested. of course by then the price has gone up.

LoganBuck
12-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Sizemore had microfracture surgery. IIRC, it went down around the All Star break. He probably won't be full go until right at the start of the year, that procedure tends to be a 9-10 month rehab.

I would love to buy low on Sizemore.

GADawg
12-31-2010, 11:59 PM
what about Chone Figgins...M's going nowhere, Figgins coming off a bad season, seems to be able to play anywhere

Mario-Rijo
01-01-2011, 12:42 AM
what about Chone Figgins...M's going nowhere, Figgins coming off a bad season, seems to be able to play anywhere

Figgins for Coco would be sweet. I'd try to play him at SS but if not slot him right into LF, letting him fill in for Rolen on off days and at 2nd & CF every now & then for days off.

mth123
01-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Figgins for Coco would be sweet. I'd try to play him at SS but if not slot him right into LF, letting him fill in for Rolen on off days and at 2nd & CF every now & then for days off.

Wonder if the Ms would take Cordero straight up just to get out of the extra years with Figgins. Figgins at $9 Million in 2012, $8 Million in 2013 with an option likely to vest at $9 Million for 2014 might be a way to bridge the gap at 2B until Billy Hamilton is ready. The Reds would probably let Phillips walk at the end of 2011 if Figgins was acquired.

Personally, I'd rather have Phillips at $12 Million than Figgins at $9 Million.

kpresidente
01-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I'd rather have Figgins, but just a little. You lose something defensively, but that covers the $3M difference in salary. Figgins is a better fit offensively....no big split, similar OPS but driven by OBP, which is more valuable and something we need at the top of the lineup. Don't worry about last year, look at what happened to Beltre and Ibanez once they got out of Seattle.