PDA

View Full Version : Reds believe they're ready for another postseason run

Ron Madden
01-01-2011, 12:15 PM
From Mark Sheldon /mlb.com.

http://reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101222&content_id=16358356&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

RedLegSuperStar
01-02-2011, 12:25 AM
With the upgrades they've made.. They are for sure headed back to the promise land. All sarcasm aside. The Reds need to make more noise then locking up Arroyo and Bruce as well as picking up Gomes option. Losing out OCab and Rhodes isn't a bad thing but standing pat isn't going to push you over the edge when the Brewers are bolstering there team.

WMR
01-02-2011, 12:45 AM
"Even if you're on the right path, you'll get run over if you just stand there."

edabbs44
01-02-2011, 07:05 AM
With the upgrades they've made.. They are for sure headed back to the promise land. All sarcasm aside. The Reds need to make more noise then locking up Arroyo and Bruce as well as picking up Gomes option. Losing out OCab and Rhodes isn't a bad thing but standing pat isn't going to push you over the edge when the Brewers are bolstering there team.

You can't let other teams dictate what you do during the offseason.

RedLegSuperStar
01-02-2011, 07:31 AM
You can't let other teams dictate what you do during the offseason.

Really? So if other teams in the division are putting pieces together to knock you off the top.. You sit there?

That to me doesn't sound like a good plan. I admit the options that are remaining to improve this team are dwindling, but you've got to do more than Cairo, Arroyo, Willis, and Gomes.

traderumor
01-02-2011, 09:05 AM
How can Sheldon talk about our chances next year without using WAR in a sentence at least 10 times per point?

reds1869
01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Really? So if other teams in the division are putting pieces together to knock you off the top.. You sit there?

That to me doesn't sound like a good plan. I admit the options that are remaining to improve this team are dwindling, but you've got to do more than Cairo, Arroyo, Willis, and Gomes.

That is the heart of the issue. What the Reds were willing to give up in trade and FA money didn't offer a good enough return. Adding pieces just to appease fans is a great way to wreck the future of a franchise. I agree that the front office needs to strengthen the roster, but I also believe their options are extremely limited.

Caveat Emperor
01-02-2011, 10:49 AM

The Brewers were awful last year. They needed to make upgrades just to be in this kind of conversation. Even with their upgrades, I'm going to enjoy another year of watching them boot the ball around the infield. They're better, but they still have more than a few problems with their team, as constructed.

And really, a full year of a healthy Edinson Volquez and a full year of Travis Wood will do more for this team than any fringe signing could hope to accomplish.

traderumor
01-02-2011, 11:05 AM
The Brewers were awful last year. They needed to make upgrades just to be in this kind of conversation. Even with their upgrades, I'm going to enjoy another year of watching them boot the ball around the infield. They're better, but they still have more than a few problems with their team, as constructed.

And really, a full year of a healthy Edinson Volquez and a full year of Travis Wood will do more for this team than any fringe signing could hope to accomplish.Exactly, their roster looked very much like the Reds during the Gory years. Kudos on looking to the top of the rotation for a quick plug of the holes on that team, but their activity was out of desperation. Melvin is really starting to look like a GM from the Bowden school.

RedLegSuperStar
01-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Brewers have offense they needed pitching.. Now they need bullpen. But with Prince, Braun, Weeks, Hart and now starting pitching; Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, and Wolf. That team us the favorite in my opinion andim not taking anything from this team. I love the Reds; but when an organization tells you they want to bring winning baseball back to Cincinnati and do nothing at the trade deadline in '10 or anything in the offseason. It just doesn't site well with me and doesn't show it's willingness to continue to win. I see a hole in LF and SS and neither were addressed. Podsednik and Renteria are not an answer but a bandage, neosporian, and a gauze pad.

My New Years resolution is to be patient.. So we'll see how that goes for the meantime.

traderumor
01-02-2011, 01:56 PM
There is always a sexy offseason pick, and the Brewers seems to have flashed enough cleavage to get everyone excited. Some simple facts are that their pitching and defense gave up 804 runs compared to the Reds 685. That is a 119 run gap to close. Their strength, offense, scored 40 fewer runs, so now we're talking about 159 runs difference between the two teams. I would submit that the Brewers have done little more than put on a push up bra as far as bridging that type of gap. The rest of the gap is going to have to come from the Reds performing worse than last year. Of course, being a fan of the team means that, knowing the warts of your own team, your girl just isn't as pretty as the other guy's girl.

TheNext44
01-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Not letting other teams dictate what you do, doesn't mean that you do nothing. It just means that you do your best to improve and put the best team you can on the field, and let the other teams do the same.

Making deals simply as a reaction to what other teams do is a recipe for disaster.

hebroncougar
01-02-2011, 03:20 PM
The Reds still have more depth at the most important position on the field than any teams in the Central. I like their chances. Plus, if they're in the hunt, they will probably have some money to play with come July.

dougdirt
01-02-2011, 04:07 PM
The Reds still have more depth at the most important position on the field than any teams in the Central. I like their chances. Plus, if they're in the hunt, they will probably have some money to play with come July.

Not just that, but they will also have the talent to trade to make a move that the Brewers aren't going to have and that the Cardinals might not either as both of their farm systems are absolutely terrible.

hebroncougar
01-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Not just that, but they will also have the talent to trade to make a move that the Brewers aren't going to have and that the Cardinals might not either as both of their farm systems are absolutely terrible.

I agree, I really think Walt is playing this differently than the did in Stl. I'm not sure if it's payroll difference, or he's changed his philosophy, but he didn't sell the farm for anything this offseason. In Stl., he's have traded them away in a heartbeat.

traderumor
01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I agree, I really think Walt is playing this differently than the did in Stl. I'm not sure if it's payroll difference, or he's changed his philosophy, but he didn't sell the farm for anything this offseason. In Stl., he's have traded them away in a heartbeat.Other than Dan Haren, I'm having a hard time remembering a significant prospect that the Cards dealt. The farm system has been weak and produced little in years, incl. during Walt's tenure (of course, some claim that the weak system is his responsibility, not sure who to point the finger at myself since its still not producing much 3-4 years later).

hebroncougar
01-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Haren, Barton (1st rounder), TJ Mathews, Eric Ludwick (former 2nd rounder), Allen Watson (1st rounder), Dmitri Young (1st rounder), Chris Narveson (2nd rounder), Adam Kennedy (1st rounder), Fernando Tatis (25 years old, coming off of seasons of 34 and 18 hr's), Braden Looper (1st rounder), Pablo Ozuna.

These are the one's I could find.

edabbs44
01-02-2011, 07:44 PM

If the Brewers want to go all in for this year, then that's their prerogative. Start chasing them based upon a few moves and you'll end up hurting yourself in the long run. Let them go all in for 2011 in order to try and catch the Reds. That just makes the division an easier place afterwards.

PuffyPig
01-02-2011, 08:56 PM
If the Brewers want to go all in for this year, then that's their prerogative. Start chasing them based upon a few moves and you'll end up hurting yourself in the long run. Let them go all in for 2011 in order to try and catch the Reds. That just makes the division an easier place afterwards.

(this)

You don't change your plan jsut because the Brewers have gone all on.

The Reds are set up to contend for a number of years.

Let's enjoy it.

RedsManRick
01-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Other than Dan Haren, I'm having a hard time remembering a significant prospect that the Cards dealt. The farm system has been weak and produced little in years, incl. during Walt's tenure (of course, some claim that the weak system is his responsibility, not sure who to point the finger at myself since its still not producing much 3-4 years later).

He traded a number of significant prospects, they just didn't turn out to be significant major leaguers.

What's more remarkable to me is who he targeted/received. He traded for players who have been cornerstones. Even when he had to give up proven major leaguers, he usually won the deal. Kent Bottenfield turned in to Jim Edmonds. JD Drew turned in to Adam Wainwright. Placido Polanco turned in to Scott Rolen.

traderumor
01-03-2011, 12:00 PM
He traded a number of significant prospects, they just didn't turn out to be significant major leaguers.

What's more remarkable to me is who he targeted/received. He traded for players who have been cornerstones. Even when he had to give up proven major leaguers, he usually won the deal. Kent Bottenfield turned in to Jim Edmonds. JD Drew turned in to Adam Wainwright. Placido Polanco turned in to Scott Rolen.
Guess that's what makes it so forgettable--I was trying to recall a difference maker that I knew was associated with a Walt prospect trade.

Ghosts of 1990
01-03-2011, 12:45 PM

I think this is a great point and I think the Reds are holding an ace up their sleeve. With all the big spending that has when on this off-season the Reds will be in prime position to make a move in the thick of a pennant race should they get there. However, a slow start out of the gates could make some guys who are part of the puzzle available. I've heard from some who have been right before that Phillips could be a guy.