PDA

View Full Version : Reds Sign Jeremy Hermida to Minor League Deal, invited to ST

Joseph
01-03-2011, 09:12 PM
According to Mark Sheldon via his blog.

Wouldn't be a bad pick up. A minor league deal with an invite which is win-win in my opinion.

Was once a really solid player. Still young.

Tom Servo
01-03-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm okay with this.

Ron Madden
01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
From Sheldon.

http://twitter.com/m_sheldon

cinreds21
01-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Three separate threads on this lol. I'm trying to get a hold of Herm to get confirmation but doubt I will

RedsManRick
01-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Hermida would make a nice platoon partner for Gomes, but certainly not a leadoff guy. Wouldn't complain at all.

Homer Bailey
01-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble getting excited about this one. Slightly below average fielder, less than stellar OBP, and little power. Am I missing something? Post-hype sleeper?

cinreds21
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I saw Hermida first-hand in 2005 when he was a top prospect and wow, I was so excited. As we all know, he has fizzled out, but I still have some hope. I just don't know how a guy who was that good, one of the best I've seen in the minors, just become such a bust.

Ron Madden
01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble getting excited about this one. Slightly below average fielder, less than stellar OBP, and little power. Am I missing something? Post-hype sleeper?

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me either. Ya never know.

Oxilon
01-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Eh...he's no David DeJesus, but I think he's alright. There's one problem though, he'd be replacing Nix, not Gomes.

Brutus
01-03-2011, 09:40 PM
It's about two years later than I wanted, but it's a guy I've wanted to see the Reds give a chance for a while now. He hasn't lived up to the hype, but I think this could end up being a huge bargain. It's certainly low risk.

Redsfan320
01-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Is there a clear winner for 5th OF between Hermida and Barton?

kaldaniels
01-03-2011, 09:50 PM
If we are diving in the bargain bin, he's the one I would target.

reds44
01-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Typical Jocketty move. I am a fan.

TheNext44
01-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Walt's been searching for his next Ryan Ludwick. Hermedia is as close as he's come so far. Odds are he won't blossom like Ludwick, but he's definitely worth a minor league contract A lot of talent there.

Plus Plus
01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Sheldon says it's a minor league contract.

edabbs44
01-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Eh. Not overwhelmed. Maybe he puts it together. No risk.

reds1869
01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Nothing to lose. I like it.

marcshoe
01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
This is good. Minor League contract on a guy who's still young enough to have hope.

Kc61
01-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Reds need a lead off hitter. A lefty or a switch hitter. An outfielder or a shortstop. A starting player or lefty hitting platoon man.

If Hermida is instead of the leadoff hitter -- I'm real negative on this move.

If Hermida is in addition to the leadoff hitter -- it's an ok move.

corkedbat
01-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Minor League deal? I'm all for it. The Reds have a great clubhouse, maybe it will rub off and the change of scenery...yada, yada, yada. Nothing to do major cartwheels over, but hey, for a minor league deal, I'm not complaining at all.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another couple of deals/signingss along this line in the next two weeks (another OF and a backup shotstop).

edabbs44
01-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Minor League deal? I'm all for it. The Reds have a great clubhouse, maybe it will rub off and the change of scenery...yada, yad, yada. Nothing to do major cartwheels over, but hey, for a inor league deal, I'm not complaining at all.

I wouldn'tbe surprised to see another couple of deals/signingss along this line in the next two weeks (andother OF and a backup shotstop).

Agree, low risk. If it works, great. If not, no biggie.

corkedbat
01-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Reds need a lead off hitter. A lefty or a switch hitter. An outfielder or a shortstop. A starting player or lefty hitting platoon man.

I still have the feeling that Renteria is here when all is said and done. Whether Walt would consider him a top of the order answer is the question.

mth123
01-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I love this move. I've been pretty negative and still think the reds should be dealing pieces that don't fit for missing pieces, but signing Hermida to a minor league deal is a nice move with nothing but upside. IMO, he's already one of the reds three best OF.

LoganBuck
01-03-2011, 11:00 PM
This is a nice lottery ticket. Hermida has the physical talent. He has bounced around a little, and will only be 27 this season. For a point of reference he is 11 months older than Chris Heisey.

In 7 career games at GABP with 31 PA, Hermida has a 1.202 OPS at GABP.

Other division opponents
.985 OPS at Wrigley Field
1.107 at Minute Maid
.485 at Miller Park
1.029 at PNC
.556 at Busch

GADawg
01-03-2011, 11:02 PM
look forward to seeing him when Louisville visits Gwinnett...not so much on TV with the big club

Spitball
01-04-2011, 12:10 AM
His splits versus National League righties have not been too bad. Maybe he will find himself as a platoon partner with Gomes playing in a favorable home stadium. I can see the two combining for a combined passable line.

Griffey012
01-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Seems to me like a better version of Laynce Nix. Ill trade some reserve fielding ability for reserve on-base skills.

westofyou
01-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Meh

OnBaseMachine
01-04-2011, 12:54 AM
I like it. Low risk, high reward type of deal...

Ron Madden
01-04-2011, 01:14 AM
FoxSports says it's a done deal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/jeremy-hermida-to-sign-with-cincinatti-reds-010311

PuffyPig
01-04-2011, 01:20 AM

He has some OBA ability and some power.

He's the exact type of player who has thrivedi n Cincy.

Ron Madden
01-04-2011, 01:24 AM
FoxSports says it's a done deal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/jeremy-hermida-to-sign-with-cincinatti-reds-010311

Not sure I trust this article, it doesn't include Jay Bruce as part of the Reds OF.

corkedbat
01-04-2011, 03:05 AM
I said earlier that I didn't mind this signing (and I still don't), but I'd rather have Wlad I believe.

redsfandan
01-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Eh...he's no David DeJesus, but I think he's alright. There's one problem though, he'd be replacing Nix, not Gomes.
He costs the Reds next to nothing, he could be a decent backup this year, and he could replace Gomes in 2012. Yeah, his stock has fallen alot but, who knows, there's no harm in giving him a look.

Dan
01-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Not sure I trust this article, it doesn't include Jay Bruce as part of the Reds OF.

an outfield that includes right-handed hitters Jonny Gomes, Drew Stubbs and Chris Heisey.

Unless something has changed radically, Bruce is a LH hitter. :D

Will M
01-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Hermidias OPS vs RHP:
2007: 889
2008: 720
2009: 786
2010: 645

I don't mind signing him to a minor league deal. I also liked the Willis signing. I think these type of moves need to be made every year.

However, I hope this doesn't preclude Walt from aiming higher for a left fielder. This could be now (ie Damon) or closer to opening day via trade. My guess is that Walt didn't like the prices of guys like Lewis or Podsednik. He said 'I'm not wasting $2.5M for production I might get for $400K. I'll be patient & see if a trade develops.'

edabbs44
01-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Hermidias OPS vs RHP:

I don't mind signing him to a minor league deal. I also liked the Willis signing. I think these type of moves need to be made every year.

However, I hope this doesn't preclude Walt from aiming higher for a left fielder. This could be now (ie Damon) or closer to opening day via trade. My guess is that Walt didn't like the prices of guys like Lewis or Podsednik. He said 'I'm not wasting $2.5M for production I might get for $400K. I'll be patient & see if a trade develops.'

Very valid.

lollipopcurve
01-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Hard to know what to think of this until we find out if another LF will be brought in.

I like Hermida on a minor league deal better than Nix on a major league deal, at least.

Krusty
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Basically, he is replacing Lance Nix on the bench.

membengal
01-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Puts a weird spring in my step. I like him as a platoon partner to gomes and gives the team some power off the bench. And he is still young enough to maybe tap a little of the potential he once had. I like the target and I like the price way more than the podsednik rumor. If true, good move walt.

TRF
01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Basically, he is replacing Wlad Balentien in Louisville.

fixed that for ya.

This is really a nothing move, the kind every GM makes every year. Give a former 1st rd pick another chance. See Kearns, Austin.

Ghosts of 1990
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
He's always reminded me of Adam Dunn, at least aesthetically. A little thinner and a little less power.

bucksfan2
01-04-2011, 10:57 AM
fixed that for ya.

This is really a nothing move, the kind every GM makes every year. Give a former 1st rd pick another chance. See Kearns, Austin.

Taking a chance on Hermida and Kearns is a little different animal. Kearns still has been productive over the last few seasons. He will never come close to his billing but he is a serviceable corner OF.

But I do agree with you that every GM inks deals like these. Anyone who possess a tool shed of talent gets chance after chance after chance. You are hoping the player turns into a Jose Guillen instead of a Corey Patterson (Reds references). Its really a win win signing. You need extra players for the spring and you are giving no promises.

I(heart)Freel
01-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Hermidias OPS vs RHP:

+1. This is a $1 on the roulette table.

Let's just hope the bet doesn't preclude Walt buying a steak at the buffet.

REDREAD
01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't be disappointed if he makes the team as the 5th OF, and occasionally plays LF vs righties.
I am sure Walt is still looking around for something better.

I'd rather have a guy that had some ML success in the past like Hermida than someone like Wlad.

This kind of reminds me of when they invited Gomes in two years ago. Nothing to get excited about, but might get some decent production out of it.

Heath
01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Cheap pickup. Nice roll of the dice.

Captain Hook
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Unless he has a terrible spring I'm going guess that there will be a roster spot for him on opening day.The lack of interest here with this move is a bit surprising.I know some are still holding out for something better but I think that this is it.Why would Walt spend 5 or 6 million on a declining Damon or give Scott Podsednik 2 or 3 million when you can get someone much younger then either that will only require league minimum money.

I'm not really doing backflips for the move either but I do feel that the money involved is perfect.Walt could of easily spent 3-5 million for someone that is likely to put up similar numbers in 2011.

nemesis
01-04-2011, 04:12 PM
This is the type of move that could turn into a Jose Bautista, meh or something between. The Reds have a good history of turning nonperforming OF's into decent ones. For $400,000, it's worth the chance. You never know how a player will respond to security, a quality lineup around him and a much smaller ballpark that is generous to LH Hitters.

In his career year, 2007, he had Cabrera, Uggla, Olivo, Willingham and Ramirez all hitting around him. He just sat back and was part of the team. He also got alot of healthy pitches to hit to avoid the other players in the lineup.

In 2008, Cabrera and Olivo left, Willingham was hurt and Hermidia wasn't pitched around quite as much... He probably tried to do to much and messed up his mentality and mechanics at the plate. Hasn't been the same since. If they Reds can give him comfort again, he could easily put up 15 HR in GABP and keep a .340 OBP.

Mario-Rijo
01-04-2011, 05:14 PM
This is the type of move that could turn into a Jose Bautista, meh or something between. The Reds have a good history of turning nonperforming OF's into decent ones. For $400,000, it's worth the chance. You never know how a player will respond to security, a quality lineup around him and a much smaller ballpark that is generous to LH Hitters.

In his career year, 2007, he had Cabrera, Uggla, Olivo, Willingham and Ramirez all hitting around him. He just sat back and was part of the team. He also got alot of healthy pitches to hit to avoid the other players in the lineup.

In 2008, Cabrera and Olivo left, Willingham was hurt and Hermidia wasn't pitched around quite as much... He probably tried to do to much and messed up his mentality and mechanics at the plate. Hasn't been the same since. If they Reds can give him comfort again, he could easily put up 15 HR in GABP and keep a .340 OBP.

Nice analysis. I always thought he'd be a good fit in GABP or any smaller park for that matter. I thought he'd do better in Boston last year but not exactly sure why he didn't, then he was shipped to Oakland where he didn't fare a whole lot better. I do think this is the right team at the right time for him to potentially blossom. He and Heisey could really end up a formidable LF platoon. Good low risk high reward signing here by Walt, the kind of moves we need to be making.

Edd Roush
01-04-2011, 05:21 PM
For $400,000, it's worth the chance.

I'm sorry, maybe I missed this somewhere else in the thread, but is it a fact that Hermida will only be paid $400,000 if he makes the major league roster next year? I haven't seen that, but I have seen that number quoted multiple times. Thanks.

Captain Hook
01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry, maybe I missed this somewhere else in the thread, but is it a fact that Hermida will only be paid $400,000 if he makes the major league roster next year? I haven't seen that, but I have seen that number quoted multiple times. Thanks.

Good point.I think Corey Patterson came to the Reds on a minor league deal and ended up making 2-3 million in 2008.

Brutus
01-04-2011, 07:09 PM

You are absolutely correct. A minor league deal often specifies a different rate of pay for if/when their contract is purchased. So it's entirely possible if he makes the roster, it could be $1 million or more.

Mario-Rijo
01-04-2011, 08:33 PM

2:15 pm update 1/4/11 -- The Reds announced that Hermida was signed and invited to camp as a non-roster player. This does not automatically mean that the Reds are done looking at Podsednik or Lewis. Since Hermida is a Minor League deal, there is no guarantee he makes the club. Lewis and Podsednik are seeking big league contracts and both have the added ability of potentially being leadoff hitters.

"We're still talking to a couple of guys," GM Walt Jocketty said. "We've been talking with Hermida for a while and we don't have a lot of left-handed hitting on our club."

M.Sheldon LINK (http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2011/01/reds_close_to_signing_hermida.html)

REDREAD
01-05-2011, 06:07 PM

True. I'm guessing Hermida got a simliar deal to the one Gomes got when he was invited. If he makes the roster, he will get 1-2 million.
Actually, I want Hermida to have a financial incentive to make the team.
The guy is potentially looking at his last chance to save his career. If he flops this year, he might be out of baseball.. I want him to have the incentive to earn an extra million or so by making the team.