PDA

View Full Version : Walt announced Monday that he's leaving Chapman in the bullpen

Kingspoint
01-04-2011, 01:02 AM
I came on here expecting to see a thread with 50 posts about this, but there wasn't even a thread at all.

To me, this is huge news.

The obvious thing is that he's our #1 LH setup guy in the 8th inning, but he also puts Cordero on a short leash. Bray, Masset or others could become that 8th inning setup guy just as easily if Cordero struggles.

I also don't think it sets anything in stone as far as Cordero being in the bullpen permanently. As hard as he throws and as young as he is, perhaps it's a good thing that he develops his arm by using it multiple times during the season for fewer innings instead of every five days for more innings. It certainly shouldn't harm him (unless Baker makes him one of the five most used pitchers in the Majors like he did Masset and Cordero last season).

There's going to be a lot of save opportunities next year, and I can't blame Walt for trying to replace Rhodes in-house with what looks to be equal talent. Let's face it. Arthur Rhodes got the job done. You don't want to go backwards there if you don't have to.

Captain13
01-04-2011, 07:43 AM
I agree this is a great move. We have plenty of starters and it would be nice to have a lock-down type in the 8th inning.

mattfeet
01-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Yea, I was glad to see this for the '11 season. Rhodes was ROCK solid in the bullpen last year so it'll be nice to keep everyone else together. Chapman adds an x-factor that not a lot of relief pitchers can touch. People are still going to be stoked to see him pitch and I've got to believe that gets inside the heads of opponents, even if it's just a little bit.

-Matt

Vottomatic
01-04-2011, 08:30 AM
I was the lone voice in the wilderness in support of this last Fall. Now it seems others have come to their senses.

Alpha Zero
01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
I was the lone voice in the wilderness in support of this last Fall. Now it seems others have come to their senses.

As much as I like seeing Chapman throwing flames out of the bullpen, I just can't see how he's going to get the innings to build up his stamina enough to become a full time starter by opening day 2012. He's infinitely more valuable if he becomes a starter, so the sooner he can get there, the better for the Reds. I think the Reds' pen will be fine without him, especially if Jose Arredondo has recovered and is effective.

arkimadee
01-04-2011, 11:05 AM
No big surprise here. The only way I see him making starts is if the Reds have a bad year and want to see what he can do as a starter. I guess if it's not broke, don't fix it

goreds2
01-04-2011, 11:09 PM
As much as I like seeing Chapman throwing flames out of the bullpen, I just can't see how he's going to get the innings to build up his stamina enough to become a full time starter by opening day 2012. He's infinitely more valuable if he becomes a starter, so the sooner he can get there, the better for the Reds. I think the Reds' pen will be fine without him, especially if Jose Arredondo has recovered and is effective.

I think Dusty may use Chapman for two or more innings once in awhile to help build the stamina.

Kingspoint
01-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Sorry I didn't post the source...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110103&content_id=16385142&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

Kingspoint
01-05-2011, 01:28 AM
As much as I like seeing Chapman throwing flames out of the bullpen, I just can't see how he's going to get the innings to build up his stamina enough to become a full time starter by opening day 2012.

I do believe the REDS are willing to postpone that for another year, and have done exactly that.

Kingspoint
01-05-2011, 01:29 AM

I saw you post this exact suggestion in a thread, I believe, on Sunday. Maybe Walt read your suggestion.

01-05-2011, 02:22 AM
I really think Chapman should be a starter and am not happy with any decision that delays it. I think he can have long All-Star career as a starter. I want that to start asap.

urdun
01-05-2011, 02:37 AM
I really think Chapman should be a starter and am not happy with any decision that delays it. I think he can have long All-Star career as a starter. I want that to start asap.

same here. an ace or a closer? not too many true aces around.

gilpdawg
01-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Yep. Bullpen guys are easier to get than potential aces.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

Alpha Zero
01-05-2011, 06:32 AM
I think Dusty may use Chapman for two or more innings once in awhile to help build the stamina.

Chapman needs to get about 150 innings next year in order to get himself ready for a full time starting role in 2012. No matter how Dusty uses him out of the pen, I can't see him accumulating nearly that many innings unless he's allowed to start at some point during the year.

There's also the matter of Chapman needing to develop a solid third pitch. That's something he likely won't be focusing on in a bullpen role at the major league level.

Hondo
01-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Chapman needs to get about 150 innings next year in order to get himself ready for a full time starting role in 2012. No matter how Dusty uses him out of the pen, I can't see him accumulating nearly that many innings unless he's allowed to start at some point during the year.

There's also the matter of Chapman needing to develop a solid third pitch. That's something he likely won't be focusing on in a bullpen role at the major league level.

I don't think Chapman needs to build up Stamina, pitching for the Cuban Team he threw a ton of pitches and logged Innings Year Round...

brm7675
01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't think Chapman needs to build up Stamina, pitching for the Cuban Team he threw a ton of pitches and logged Innings Year Round...

We don't know what or how much he pitched in Cuba, but he does need to learn how to pace himself and has to learn another pitch.

Kingspoint
01-05-2011, 10:07 PM

90-100 innings as a reliever will be more taxing than 150 innings as a starter.

Mutaman
01-05-2011, 10:25 PM
This was a no brainer and another solid move by Jockety. This team is ready to win now. The goal is get this team in the World series in 2011. We don't need a starting pitcher-- we have 6 solid candidates. We do need someone to replace Rhodes. Chapman helps this team a lot more in the bullpen in