View Full Version : Baseball Player and Best-Selling Author, Dirk Hayhurst, Released by Blue Jays

01-05-2011, 01:27 PM
This wouldn't normally be a transaction that would be mentioned in the Old Red Guard, but I was reading Hayhurst's blog, and I was so impressed by his writing that I wanted to share it.

Since I got hurt in the off-season, the Jays could have dumped my contract and saddled me with the medical bills and no big league pay check for a year of rehab, but they didnít. That shows class, and in a game where human beings are turned into commodities, they treated me like a person and Iíll never forget it.

01-06-2011, 07:48 AM
The Bullpen Gospels is a must read book.

Ghosts of 1990
01-06-2011, 05:09 PM
College teammate of mine played with Dirk in HS in Canton and growing up. I've always kind of followed his career because of that. I still need to read bullpen gospels. I've heard from everyone who has ever read it that it's very good.

01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I concur - the Bullpen Gospels is by far the funniest and best baseball book I've ever read.

02-06-2012, 06:15 AM
The saga of pitcher & writer, Dirk Hayhurst continues - he'll pitch in the Italian league this summer. Hayhurst is fairly frank regarding his abilities on the field & gives an interesting perspective of the player's experience when you're not really very good.

We first encountered Hayhurst in these parts nearly five years ago in this thread about the blog he was doing for Baseball America:

02-06-2012, 10:49 AM
The Bullpen Gospels is a must read book.

Just chiming in with agreement. Very, very good read.