PDA

View Full Version : Uggla and Braves reach 62 Million Extension

Hondo
01-05-2011, 02:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5989710

Second baseman Dan Uggla has reached agreement with the Atlanta Braves on a five-year, $62 million contract extension, a league source told ESPN.com. The deal is pending completion of a physical exam, the source said.

Well I cannot believe the Marlins trade this guy then go sign a hack like John Buck when they could have went with a young/cheap vetran catcher and put a little more money on the table and kept Uggla... They offered 4 years and 48 Million so they were quite close... It's too bad...

brm7675
01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5989710

Second baseman Dan Uggla has reached agreement with the Atlanta Braves on a five-year, $62 million contract extension, a league source told ESPN.com. The deal is pending completion of a physical exam, the source said.

Well I cannot believe the Marlins trade this guy then go sign a hack like John Buck when they could have went with a young/cheap vetran catcher and put a little more money on the table and kept Uggla... They offered 4 years and 48 Million so they were quite close... It's too bad...

The pattern for over paying for basic talent continues. no way Uggla is worth 12 million per year....

Hondo
01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
The pattern for over paying for basic talent continues. no way Uggla is worth 12 million per year....

Another instance where you have Zero Clue what you are talking about...

Keep on Keeping on! :thumbup:

brm7675
01-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Sorry but he is not a 12 million dollar a year player. Yes that is what the Braves paid him, but that is way over paying, just as the Nationals did with Werth. If Ug is worth 12 million then Phillips should be getting 15-18 million which means that Votto is worth 20+ million which means...see where I am going, MLB continues to overpay for talent.

BLark = HOF
01-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm just curious as to what Dan Uggla and the Atlanta Braves have to do with this forum??? This is about the Reds, not the Braves.

brm7675
01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm just curious as to what Dan Uggla and the Atlanta Braves have to do with this forum??? This is about the Reds, not the Braves.

Because it impacts on what the Reds will have to pay their players. If uggla is worth that amount, what does that mean Votto is worth?

Hondo
01-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Because it impacts on what the Reds will have to pay their players. If uggla is worth that amount, what does that mean Votto is worth?

I think Carlos Gonzalez new Contract with the Rockies is a better table setter for Votto than Uggla's Contract...

The Problem is Ryan Howard is making 25 Million a year.

The after this Season... Whatever Prince Fielder signs for will effect Votto's negotiations as well...

brm7675
01-05-2011, 04:49 PM
I think Carlos Gonzalez new Contract with the Rockies is a better table setter for Votto than Uggla's Contract...

The Problem is Ryan Howard is making 25 Million a year.

The after this Season... Whatever Prince Fielder signs for will effect Votto's negotiations as well...

If you had a choice, which of these 1st basemen would you want on your team?

Prince Fielder
Ryan Howard
Joey Votto

Hondo
01-05-2011, 04:50 PM

You need to look through this website... Everytime a Major Signing happens, we debate it here and they also do the same in the ORG...

Happy New Year

Razzle
01-06-2011, 05:29 AM
If you had a choice, which of these 1st basemen would you want on your team?

Prince Fielder
Ryan Howard
Joey Votto

I know this wasn't directed at me, but for me it's Votto and it's not even remotely close.

Brisco
01-06-2011, 10:11 AM

I believe this is an inappropriate personal attack.... attacking the person rather than the comment.

Please, this is not what Redszone is about... even on the Deck.

:thumbdown

DocRed
01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
These are his career 162 game average numbers...

32 HR 97 RBI .263BA .349OBP .488SLG .847OPS 76BB 159SO

Career WAR 14.9, OWAR 18.8, DWAR -3.9 (over 5 years via Baseball Reference, fangraphs have these numbers slightly higher)

Career UZR/150 -4.5

Hondo
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I believe this is an inappropriate personal attack.... attacking the person rather than the comment.

Please, this is not what Redszone is about... even on the Deck.

:thumbdown

Apparently you need to read BDSM's posts.. He thinks Pujols will sign for betweeen 18-20 Million a year too...

Hondo
01-06-2011, 02:20 PM

I am sorry I said you have ZERO CLUE what you are talking about...

I hope you accept my apology.

Happy Posting...

brm7675
01-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I am sorry I said you have ZERO CLUE what you are talking about...

I hope you accept my apology.

Happy Posting...

Basically owners right now are overpaying for marginal talent at best which in turns drives up the costs for the really talented players. Players like Werth and Uggs are being paid fair more then their talent warrents. It also forces teams like the Reds to take bigger risks or depend on their farm system to produce winning teams. Overall it's just not good for baseball.

Hondo
01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Basically owners right now are overpaying for marginal talent at best which in turns drives up the costs for the really talented players. Players like Werth and Uggs are being paid fair more then their talent warrents. It also forces teams like the Reds to take bigger risks or depend on their farm system to produce winning teams. Overall it's just not good for baseball.

I think Uggla got fair market value. I think Werth was overpaid by Washington... and the agents exploited that to make Carl Crawford a 21 Million per year player... The other Owners and GM's should have took a stand on Crawford and Beltre and said... Werth was over paid to go to the Washington Franchise.... But nope... Beltre got 96 Million over 6 years and Crawford got 142 Million over 7 years....

Beltre is by far the most over paid Player Now... Makes me sick actually.

Cliff Lee was going to make the same as CC Sabethia no matter where he went... He actually earns more money if his option is picked up by the Phillies than what the Yankees were offering per year anyway...

brm7675
01-06-2011, 03:03 PM
I think Uggla got fair market value. I think Werth was overpaid by Washington... and the agents exploited that to make Carl Crawford a 21 Million per year player... The other Owners and GM's should have took a stand on Crawford and Beltre and said... Werth was over paid to go to the Washington Franchise.... But nope... Beltre got 96 Million over 6 years and Crawford got 142 Million over 7 years....

Beltre is by far the most over paid Player Now... Makes me sick actually.

Cliff Lee was going to make the same as CC Sabethia no matter where he went... He actually earns more money if his option is picked up by the Phillies than what the Yankees were offering per year anyway...

If the owners do that they will be taken to court by the players association.

Hondo
01-06-2011, 03:11 PM
If the owners do that they will be taken to court by the players association.

Then the Owners should not have to over pay for a player to go to a team...

See what I mean?

Yes a team should be able to over pay for a player when their franchise is a losing one to draw more players in the future to their team...

But the owners should have taken a stand on the fact that Werth was over paid to go there... Instead, he set the market which IMO was inaccurate...

I have wrote this before, 3 years ago the Royals over paid Jose Guillen for 3years/36 Million... 12 Mill per year.

Well that didn't have any affect on other players because everyone knew the Royals were over paying...

That is my point...

brm7675
01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Then the Owners should not have to over pay for a player to go to a team...

See what I mean?

Yes a team should be able to over pay for a player when their franchise is a losing one to draw more players in the future to their team...

But the owners should have taken a stand on the fact that Werth was over paid to go there... Instead, he set the market which IMO was inaccurate...

I have wrote this before, 3 years ago the Royals over paid Jose Guillen for 3years/36 Million... 12 Mill per year.

Well that didn't have any affect on other players because everyone knew the Royals were over paying...

That is my point...

As long as you have stupid ownership and No salary cap, baseball is going to continue down this path. You can't eliminate stupid owners, you can institute a salary cap which will rain in salaries and stupid contracts.

Hondo
01-06-2011, 04:06 PM
As long as you have stupid ownership and No salary cap, baseball is going to continue down this path. You can't eliminate stupid owners, you can institute a salary cap which will rain in salaries and stupid contracts.

I would ratehr have no salary cap but make it kind of like the NBA where the Team that drafts and develops the player can offer more money than any other franchise... Meaning the Players would be traded for more worth and players would remain with their team longer...