PDA

View Full Version : Reds, Burton agree on 1 year deal

Chip R
01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
http://www.wlwt.com/sports/26394304/detail.html

Ron Madden
01-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Let's hope Burton lives up to his potential.

redsmetz
01-07-2011, 05:39 AM
$750K is not a bad number. How does that jibe with some have projected? Curious incentive bonus added, although it may be "fluff" that the Reds could give, but then again, maybe Burton's agent thinks Cordero could be moved and Burton would be a candidate to close games.

Burton also got performance bonuses: $20,000 each for finishing 30 games and 40 games, and $25,000 for finishing 50 and 60 games.

mth123
01-07-2011, 05:59 AM
$750K is not a bad number. How does that jibe with some have projected? Curious incentive bonus added, although it may be "fluff" that the Reds could give, but then again, maybe Burton's agent thinks Cordero could be moved and Burton would be a candidate to close games.

Burton also got performance bonuses: $20,000 each for finishing 30 games and 40 games, and $25,000 for finishing 50 and 60 games.

The Reds have Masset, Ondrusek, Arredondo, Burton, Smith, Fisher and Lecure pushing for what is likley 4 spots. Masset is a lock and Arredondo and Burton are both guys who now make enough over the minimum that I would think they have the inside track. Ondrusek probably earned the right to have a spot to lose with his 2010 performance. If Chapman is needed to replace Rhodes, Bray is a second lefty and Cordero the closer, there is no one to be a long man if Lecure doesn't make the roster. It also leaves no room to stash whichever of the starters doesn't crack the rotation in spring training and guys like Matt Maloney have no shot at a roster spot barring a lot of injuries. We might see a deal or two to thin the ranks a bit in spring training, but the pen should be pretty solid. Strongest area of the team IMO.

redsmetz
01-07-2011, 06:56 AM
I should clarify my point about the bonus provision since it occurred to me afterward that finishing games isn't only about closing, it means exactly what it says. In his first three seasons, he finished 12-13 games for the club. So, it's possible that he could earn some of these bonuses (and approach last year's salary) if he's healthy without ever being in the game as a closer.

RedFanAlways1966
01-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Gla(n)d he is healthy.

Ghosts of 1990
01-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Big year for Burton IMO. I think they're expecting him to pick up the slack, be a guy who gets some big late inning outs, stay healthy and be dependable. If he doesn't show this year he won't be in Cincinnati after this IMO. I think he has shown flashes and definitely has the stuff but he needs to put it all together. I'm glad he's still a Red.

Mario-Rijo
01-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Big year for Burton IMO. I think they're expecting him to pick up the slack, be a guy who gets some big late inning outs, stay healthy and be dependable. If he doesn't show this year he won't be in Cincinnati after this IMO. I think he has shown flashes and definitely has the stuff but he needs to put it all together. I'm glad he's still a Red.

Sorry but something I just need to get off my chest. Last year it was Bray everybody was on his case and this year apparently it's gonna be Burton.

2007 - 4-2, 47 games, 43.0 IP 2.51 ERA, 185 ERA+, 7.5 K/9, 1.54 K/BB
2008 - 5-1, 54 games, 58.2 IP 3.22 ERA, 138 ERA+, 8.9 K/9, 2.32 K/BB

2009 - Ineffective
2010 - Health problems apparently but pitched quite well in Louisville all year so who really knows that he wouldn't have in Cincy.

Now I'm sure some might see this as me being ticky tack but the man gave us 2 very good seasons followed by a poor season and then health issues. I think that is more than "shown some flashes". I think it is really unreasonable for us to expect flawless seasons from everyone & every year. And if they don't have them we sling these big question marks over their heads. Injuries happen, ineffectiveness occurs in stretches every year for everybody and sometimes for full seasons, I think it should be treated as the norm.

Now this isn't strictly directed at you 1990 and I'll readily admit Burton isn't without flaws (who is). But our expectations around here for what is good and reliable are a bit (and sometimes extremely) unrealistic. Burton and Bray for that matter have always been good pitchers with some flaws but we have gotten alot more good out of that them than bad and IMO that should make them good pitchers who we expect to continue to be so and not the opposite.