PDA

View Full Version : JoPoz- Willie Mays HOF

Redsfan320
01-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Read all the way down and don't you DARE skip to the end. (http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2011/01/willie-mays-hall-of-fame.html)

I got ticked when he eliminated Bench, but just keep reading...

This certainly warrants its own thread. Enjoy.

westofyou
01-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Love this article... here's a great line

I don't know about you -- but I never saw Rogers Hornsby play. I take his greatness on faith, based on the remarkable statistics I've seen and the stories I've read and the research I've done. But more than 20% of the people who saw Hornsby play did not vote him into the Hall of Fame his FIFTH TIME ON THE BALLOT. Rogers is out. And, anyway, he apparently was a jerk.

Danny Serafini
01-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Thanks for posting, that was a fun read.

Ron Madden
01-08-2011, 05:05 AM

I don't know about you -- but I never saw Rogers Hornsby play. I take his greatness on faith, based on the remarkable statistics I've seen and the stories I've read and the research I've done. But more than 20% of the people who saw Hornsby play did not vote him into the Hall of Fame his FIFTH TIME ON THE BALLOT. Rogers is out. And, anyway, he apparently was a jerk.

Great line WOY.

I also loved the paragraph about what might have been for Feller and DiMaggio.

There is no question they were both great when they played and then they served our country with distinction during WWII--during which time they lost prime years of their careers. Had Feller pitched he might have won 100 more games. Had DiMaggio played he might have reached 3000 hits and won a total of five or six MVP awards. But we are dealing with the world of imagination now. They also might have gotten hurt and not been able to complete their careers. If we are to assume one thing what is to stop us from assuming the other?

Thanks 320.:thumbup:

jojo
01-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Joe is HALLARIOUS!!!!!!!!

Always Red
01-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Love this one:

We hate to lose 'em -- this means we will not have a third baseman in our Hall. But you know, third base is kind of a minor position anyway. If they could play defense, they'd be shortstops, right?

redsmetz
01-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I figured out where he was heading just past Johnny Bench, as he was ready to toss Honus Wagner overboard. Excellent post that, I think, gets around to putting the Hall of Fame into perspective.

BCubb2003
01-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Maybe we need a Foyer of Ultrafame. Something like the Players of the Century.

Redsfan320
01-08-2011, 10:11 AM
As I'm getting a lot of props for posting it, I should also mention that I found it on Redleg Nation (http://redlegnation.com/). Chad and the team do a great job finding good baseball links there. :thumbup:

I'm ashamed to admit I never did get it. Even when it was just down to Mays I thought the joke was that Mays was the best player ever and only he could make it into the Willie Mays HOF. Turns out even he couldn't make it.

George Anderson
01-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I figured out where he was heading just past Johnny Bench, as he was ready to toss Honus Wagner overboard. Excellent post that, I think, gets around to putting the Hall of Fame into perspective.

Yea I thought the author was a complete loon till I figured the piece was basically satire.

Bob Borkowski
01-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Yea I thought the author was a complete loon till I figured the piece was basically satire.

Yeah, excellent piece. I laughed out loud...and I hadn't even had coffee yet.:)

klw
01-08-2011, 12:20 PM

Plus he only hit .424 once.

RedsBaron
01-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Plus he only hit .424 once.

That lack of inconsistency is enough to rule him out. ;)

traderumor
01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
That lack of inconsistency is enough to rule him out. ;)And his OBP was only 83 points above his BA. Pfffft.

Johnny Footstool
01-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Joe Morgan, I stayed with you as long as I could. I really wanted you in there. But your No. 1 comp? Lou Whitaker? Do you know what Lou Whitaker did on his one Hall of Fame ballot? Sorry. Gone. ...

It is NOT OK to besmirch Lou Whitaker, even in jest.

Apology not accepted, JoPoz.