PDA

View Full Version : The NL Central is improving.

Ron Madden
01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
And Tony La Russa wants to win it his way.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_fd783c83-1c34-566d-9584-8930ef479b8a.html

Brutus
01-09-2011, 07:02 PM
How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son?

Eric_the_Red
01-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Isn't "his way" tested for now? ;)

Mario-Rijo
01-09-2011, 07:35 PM
One thing I can safely say about the current version of our on the field Reds they ain't short on desire to win or scrappyness so bring it on LaRussa.

Ron Madden
01-09-2011, 07:41 PM

Maybe Carpenters son can explain a few things to his dear ol' dad. ;)

Sounds like the writer Bernie Miklasz isn't real happy with the Cardinal defense.

RedsManRick
01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Isn't it the manager's job to get the most out of his players? The article makes it sound like Tony is tired of trying to motivate more talented players.

Ron Madden
01-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Isn't it the manager's job to get the most out of his players? The article makes it sound like Tony is tired of trying to motivate more talented players.

I think Miklasz is saying Tony favors scrappy guys over some guys who play better defense or have a better OBP.

PuffyPig
01-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Larussa has no interest in winning playing conventional strategy.

He needs to put his mark on the game or he isn't satisfied, even if he wins.

It has to be about him, or not at all.

His ego is the size of Barry Bonds' head.

Maybe even bigger, if that is possible.

RedsManRick
01-09-2011, 08:44 PM
I think Miklasz is saying Tony favors scrappy guys over some guys who play better defense or have a better OBP.

Yes, I get that. I'm trying to figure out how LaRussa believes scrappy leads to scoring more runs than one's opponent than do defense and OBP. Does he believe that a scrappy team that plays worse defense and gets on base less will win more games than a less scrappy team who does those things better?

Scrap Irony
01-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Yes, I get that. I'm trying to figure out how LaRussa believes scrappy leads to scoring more runs than one's opponent than do defense and OBP. Does he believe that a scrappy team that plays worse defense and gets on base less will win more games than a less scrappy team who does those things better?

Ssshhh! TLR is showing his genius here. You may NOT question the great and powerful TLR! If you DO question the great and powerful TLR, you may be subjected to severe repurcussions!

traderumor
01-09-2011, 10:24 PM
So Tony talks about WASP, Wins Above Scrappy Player? I think this article could be plugged in about any era, find a coach who is "going back to the good old days," and discover he is just cycling old tired myths about what makes a baseball team win games. There is nothing new under the sun.

MartyFan
01-10-2011, 12:30 AM

never gets old...ever!!! :beerme:

The Operator
01-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Larussa has no interest in winning playing conventional strategy.

He needs to put his mark on the game or he isn't satisfied, even if he wins.

It has to be about him, or not at all.

His ego is the size of Barry Bonds' head.

Maybe even bigger, if that is possible.I think you've hit the nail on the head.

TLR would rather lose his own way than win someone else's way.

edabbs44
01-10-2011, 09:49 AM
For what it's worth, they mention Eckstein as someone who fits the mold TLR speaks of "when they signed him off the reject pile in 2005". And he only put up OBPs of .363, .350 and .356 in his 3 years there after coming off seasons of .325 and .339 in Anaheim.

So here's a question. Does scrappy, in some regard, lead to OBP? Fouling off pitches, making a pitcher work, working the count and the walk, etc?

Just food for thought on this cold winter's morning.

redsmetz
01-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds like the writer Bernie Miklasz isn't real happy with the Cardinal defense.

I'm not sure that's what he is getting at. I think the only judgments he is making is that LaRussa's going to do it his way, it's not the way most folks see things and that it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Of course, this could prove to be a complete disaster (and I hope it is), but I've learned to never count Tony LaRussa out. We'll see.