PDA

View Full Version : Reds will miss Rhodes and Cabrera

Ron Madden
01-09-2011, 10:54 PM
So says John Fay in this article.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110109/SPT04/301090058/1062/SPT/Rhodes-Cabrera-will-be-missed

traderumor
01-09-2011, 11:06 PM
John Fay has taken wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too seriously the adage about "newspaper articles should be written at a 3rd grade level."

TRF
01-09-2011, 11:16 PM
the guys in the clubhouse will miss two guys they played with.

The Reds may not notice they are gone at all. I don't discount chemistry. I don't, however, attribute it to just two players. I don't believe for an instant that the team falls apart without them.

The Operator
01-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Rhodes is on the wrong side of the age curve and Cabrera was replaced by a guy with a resume that includes just as much "knows how to win" and postseason experience, etc.

Me thinks Mr. Fay needed to make a deadline.

Griffey012
01-10-2011, 02:32 AM
Fay said the Reds will miss the pair, he did not say they cannot be successful without him. It seems to me like Fay get nitpicked around here whenever he writes an article.

Did OCab and Rhodes play an important role in the clubhouse? Yes. Will those two be gone? Yes. So of course they will miss those two. He was dead on accurate as far as their season performance.

mth123
01-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Fay said the Reds will miss the pair, he did not say they cannot be successful without him. It seems to me like Fay get nitpicked around here whenever he writes an article.

Did OCab and Rhodes play an important role in the clubhouse? Yes. Will those two be gone? Yes. So of course they will miss those two. He was dead on accurate as far as their season performance.

Agree with every word.

GAC
01-10-2011, 04:57 AM
From 4/10 to 6/29 last year (33 appearances), Rhodes didn't allow a run. Nice streak. He was so-so after the break. Don't care much about Stark's chemistry angle. What we may miss more from Rhodes is his 2.29 ERA, 1.02 Whip, and 26 Holds.

edabbs44
01-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Agree and I would add that if these guys were the clubhouse presences as described, then maybe things will not be that affected this year due to 2 things:

1) the arrival of Renteria, who Jocketty knows and hand picked as his 2011 Cabrera. If he wasn't able to fill that role, then I doubt he'd be here.

2) the winning season we just experienced. While a clubhouse guy can and will keep the clubhouse in check during the season, Cabrera and Rhodes also gav these guys a taste of "how to win", which they learned last year. Hopefully they won't need these presences as much this year. They still. Have Rolen, Arroyo and the reigning MVP.

Regarding Rhodes, I think they would likely be missing him even if he was resigned this season.

TRF
01-10-2011, 10:33 AM

That isn't the implication of the article at all. In this case "miss" means "hard to replace" and "it will hurt the teams success".

Otherwise there is no point to the article. His opinion is pretty clear.

Griffey012
01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
That isn't the implication of the article at all. In this case "miss" means "hard to replace" and "it will hurt the teams success".

I honestly do not see the implication you are speaking of at all. It simply seems like an off-season article to pass the time.

edabbs44
01-10-2011, 11:22 AM

I think he is saying that they will be missed and the fallout could hurt the team's performance. But he also says that they added Renteria and that Jocketty often makes moves that keep in line with the team's chemistry.

OesterPoster
01-10-2011, 11:41 AM
John Fay has taken wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too seriously the adage about "newspaper articles should be written at a 3rd grade level."

Actually, my Flesch-Kincaid analysis shows this article to be a 4.8 on the grade level readability scale. 3rd graders might have trouble with it. :)

Wheelhouse
01-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Rhodes, yes. Cabrera, nooooooo.

Jpup
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I think you guys should let up on Fay. I don't see much wrong with it. It's a blog post.

traderumor
01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I think you guys should let up on Fay. I don't see much wrong with it. It's a blog post.It's an article. It does not appear on his blog. I think John's been twittering or texting too much, this article being evidence of that.

kaldaniels
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm not concerned. I think Renteria will fill OCab's clubhouse role nicely. I've always thought he had that look in his eye that he'd slit your throat to win...I've always respected him.

TRF
01-10-2011, 03:29 PM
I think Renteria will fill OCab's clubhouse role nicely.

I think that is exactly what will happen.

sigh.

reds44
01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I honestly think we're past the "veteran leadership" stage. Last year we were a team who had never been there before. Now just about everybody on the team has been there before.

They'll be fine.

Ron Madden
01-11-2011, 03:26 AM
I just thought I'd share this article with RedsZone.

I disagree with JFay about the Reds missing the leadership of Rhodes and Ocab but that's his opinion. I honestly think he is improving as a beat writer.

Mario-Rijo
01-11-2011, 08:47 AM
I actually agree with him I do think they took a step back as far as leadership goes. Cabrera was one of the few guys who would say what he felt and demand better of his teammates and could get away with saying it. Renteria strikes me more as a lead by example type which isn't a bad thing but I think we have alot of that already. Rhodes would seem to have a calming influence on everyone but that is just my gut saying that, could be I am way off base on it.

Hermida/Lewis might be guys who could potentially be risky bets in this area but I'm sure Walt and company did due diligence on these guys because they seem very careful about creating just the right atmosphere. Willis I don't think moves the needle much either way though he does seem to exude a certain positive charisma which can't be a bad thing.

Chip R
01-11-2011, 09:35 AM
I honestly think he is improving as a beat writer.

He's certainly had enough time to improve.

Ron Madden
01-11-2011, 01:07 PM
He's certainly had enough time to improve.

I agree that John Fay is'nt as good as John Erardi or Marc Lancaster but I don't think he's quite as bad as some folks say he is. (JMHO)

TRF
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I didn't have an opinion on the writing per se, but rather the premise. Take away Joey Votto and Jay Bruce, this team is in trouble. Rhodes and Cabrera are very replaceable. What Rhodes did in the first half of last year was insane. He's not likely to repeat it as he had never really done that before. Few have.

Cabrera's leadership on the field wasn't needed. His mentoring of BP was an added addition. I think the time has come for this team to realize it is a team of men, not kids.