PDA

View Full Version : Reds Sign OF Fred Lewis

knoonan991
01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
According to the Reds official Twitter.

#Reds sign free agents SS Edgar Renteria and OF Fred Lewis to 1-year contracts through the 2011 season.

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds

redsfan_12
01-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Is this good or bad? Don't know much about some of those American League guys.

texasdave
01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Willis, Hermida, Renteria and Lewis. Time to throw down with NL Central in 2011.

Bill James likes Lewis in 2011. He has him posting this slash line: .276/.353/.414/.768.

Hondo
01-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Wow I cannot wait until I find out how much his 2011 Salary is...

PeteRoseBelongs
01-10-2011, 06:05 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=mlb&id=1216

texasdave
01-10-2011, 06:08 PM
“These two players address a couple of needs we had identified for our club,” Jocketty said. “Edgar is a veteran middle infielder who we expect to have a positive influence on our younger players, and he is a proven winner. Fred gives us a left handed bat capable of playing all three outfield positions, with speed and a lot of experience leading off.”

Raise your hand if you thought going into the off-season that Edgar Renteria and Fred Lewis were the two missing pieces to the puzzle.

Hondo
01-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Raise your hand if you thought going into the off-season that Edgar Renteria and Fred Lewis were the two missing pieces to the puzzle.

Both my hands are not raised.

Oxblood
01-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Disasterous offseason. Kind of embarrassing.

Hands22
01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I love the signing and the money, and I like the off-season so far. There was just no good fits in the Reds budget to really improve. And while I know some still are pushing to deal an arm, that's something you don't force. I don't mind letting this team take the field opening day and then looking at that route a few months in when the picture is a little more clear...

With Lewis now around and able to at least make due in center if need be, I'm really hoping Hermida can have a good spring and make his way on the roster instead of Heisey. That would at least give us one lefty bat off the bench.

01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
A platoon partner for Gomes in LF against RHP. He can lead off those games too, which is a big plus. I've always liked him as a solid 4th outfielder, platoon partner. All around decent, but not great at anything. A bargain at $900K

Hondo
01-10-2011, 06:22 PM
A platoon partner for Gomes in LF against RHP. He can lead off those games too, which is a big plus. I've always liked him as a solid 4th outfielder, platoon partner. All around decent, but not great at anything. A bargain at $900K

Ditto

31 Doubles Production for 900,000 is relatively a steal

redsfan_12
01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Both my hands are not raised.

Neither are mine.

Oxblood
01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Meet your new starting CF.

schmidty622
01-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Big fan of this signing, as it takes AB's away from Gomes vs. righties. Lewis has a career .354 OBP against right handers and I can live with that coming out of my lead-off spot.

Vs. Right

Lewis LF
Phillips 2b
Votto 1b
Rolen 3b
Bruce RF
Stubbs CF
Hanigan C
Janish SS
Pitcher

Vs. Left

Phillips 2b
Renteria SS
Votto 1b
Rolen 3b
Bruce RF
Gomes LF
Stubbs CF
Hanigan C

Not overwhelming but not too shabby.

brm7675
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM
I see Lewis and Lance Nix light, so to me it's not that big of a deal.

schmidty622
01-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Yes, Laynce Nix and his career .286 OBP is wayyy better than Fred Lewis. :rolleyes:

Quatitos
01-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Ditto

31 Doubles Production for 900,000 is relatively a steal

Agreed, and it allows Stubbs to be moved down into the 6 spot if Lewis can put up the .340-.350 OBP he is capable of.

texasdave
01-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Let's see now. Renteria for 3 million (I think he easily makes whatever incentives need to be met). Lewis for about a million. That is roughly 4 million. From what I read they had Rhodes budgeted for about 4 million but the second year was the killer. So did the money set aside for Rhodes end up in the pockets of Renteria of Lewis? And, if so, did that mean this team had no money budgeted for upgrades in Left and Short?

Hondo
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Let's see now. Renteria for 3 million (I think he easily makes whatever incentives need to be met). Lewis for about a million. That is roughly 4 million. From what I read they had Rhodes budgeted for about 4 million but the second year was the killer. So did the money set aside for Rhodes end up in the pockets of Renteria of Lewis? And, if so, did that mean this team had no money budgeted for upgrades in Left and Short?

This ownership is looking irresponsible.

Quatitos
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM

You could possibly look at it that way, or they might have some money left over from the original budget. They might be saving some of the money left over from Rhodes to leave some room for the team to add on more payroll at the trade deadline. Or maybe they reorganized that money to add onto the Votto LTC. Honestly who knows, but I would imagine that Walt will try and use up all the money that he is given.

DocRed
01-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Nice signing IMO. This is the only stat I care about....career .280 batter vs RHP and .354 OBP. OK, 2 stats....

Hondo
01-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Nice signing IMO. This is the only stat I care about....career .280 batter vs RHP and .354 OBP. OK, 2 stats....

We was Toronto's Lead off hitter last year so I would just as soon see him get 90% of the starts and have Gomes hit against against LHP

So, if he can swipe 20-30 bags and hit another 30+ Doubles, while keeping that OBP above .350, this move may be very under rated...

But they need to give him the majority of Starts for him to be effective IMO.

gedred69
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
If there was anybody left in the pool, who the Reds could afford, and potentially be of importance to a really serious hole, (Lead-off) it was Lewis. I am very encouraged by this. I also think Renteria is a smart move as a platooner, as Janish (God love 'em), just isn't the guy you want to run out there 135+ games a season.

FlightRick
01-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Of the moves the Reds could reasonably have made, this is probably the one I was most interested in having come to pass. So today, I am a happy man.

This is a perfect match: what we needed and what we could afford pairs up nicely with what Lewis can do and what he was willing to sign for.

If it helps make anybody feel better about the deal, and about Lewis' credentials as AT LEAST a LF platoon partner and lead-off hitter: you can essentially erase his stats last year playing for Toronto. The sudden lack of OBP and sudden upsurge in Ks does not speak to Fred Lewis; it speaks to the hitting coach/philosophy in Toronto last year, where swinging hard was favored over swinging smart.

In some cases, it worked (see Jose Bautista's incongruous power surge, or even the output by our own old pal Alex Gonzalez). In others, not so much. Lewis' market value may have been hurt as a result of him not being suited to the swing hard philosophy; the Jays didn't want to go to arb with him, and we picked him up on the cheap.

FWIW, Bill James projects him as a .276/.353/.415 hitter in 2011 (and that doesn't take into account that the Reds will likely platoon Lewis, and he's significantly stronger against RHP). If he meets James' projections and is an average defender in a platoon role, we'll have gotten 1.5+ of WAR, over the course of about 400 PA, for $900,000. That's a bargain and a half.

Jeremy Hermeida, we hardly knew ye...

Rick

Krawhitham
01-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Disasterous offseason. Kind of embarrassing.

same thing was said last year too

Vottomatic
01-10-2011, 10:28 PM
So long Chris Heisey. We hardly knew ye.

Gomes, Hermida, Lewis................Heisey doesn't exactly appear that he'll be given a chance. Hmmm.

texasdave
01-10-2011, 10:55 PM
So long Chris Heisey. We hardly knew ye.

Gomes, Hermida, Lewis................Heisey doesn't exactly appear that he'll be given a chance. Hmmm.

Shh. People hear you and they are gonna start thinking that Dusty likes the vets more than the youngsters. Heisey is probably a better ballplayer than Lewis. And Gomes. And Hermida.

BLark = HOF
01-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Signing Fred Lewis and Jeremy Hermida are pretty good signings.

wlf WV
01-11-2011, 01:04 AM
Still hope Sappelt smashes his way through spring training.I doubt it because of 40 man roster.That roster is a youth killer.Hopefully the best man wins in SP.

webbbj
01-11-2011, 01:27 AM
yall hating i think the Reds are having a great offseason.

Kingspoint
01-11-2011, 01:45 AM
The NL Central is shaking in their boots now that we have Lewis AND Renteria.

Kingspoint
01-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Heisey will destroy them all in Spring Training, but he won't get any credit for it.

urdun
01-11-2011, 02:23 AM
like the Lewis signing but not a fan of Renteria at this point

TheBigLebowski
01-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Nothing to complain about here....cheap, upside, takes at-bats from Gomes....aces from my perspective.

Vottomatic
01-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Nothing to complain about here....cheap, upside, takes at-bats from Gomes....aces from my perspective.

When it comes to the Reds........CHEAP is the right word.

I've decided to become CHEAP and not spend much money on tickets next year. :D

texasdave
01-11-2011, 08:03 AM

Cheap is the operative word.

Taken separately one would say 900K for Fred Lewis is a nice deal. No argument there.

But isn't the object to win it all? Does acquiring Fred Lewis do that? I don't believe it does.

And don't we have Chris Heisey to take ABs away from Gomes? Danny Dorn?

A number of people on here are satisfied or better with Walt's off-season moves. I am not in that crowd. I would grade him out at C- at best. And that is giving Walt every benefit of the doubt.

PhatHead
01-11-2011, 08:58 AM

Now that's just plain funny stuff. :D

Stray
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I like the move since it's cheap with only an upside. I understand fans reaction to not making a BIG move, but going into this offseason I wanted us to sit tight for the most part.

We're going to be better by virtue of being one year older with playoff experience. We're young and extremely talented...with the chemistry we had I didn't want to shake it up too much. I think we'll be the best offensive team in the league again and our young pitching should progress. Add that up with one of the best defensive teams in the league and you end up with a lot of wins.

We're in a good spot to be active during the trade deadline which is where I would rather us make a move if needed.

roby
01-11-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm hoping that they are socking some of that money away to sign Votto long-term. Nothing else matters much if you don't hang on to Joey!

Old NDN
01-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Why didn't the Blue Jays re-sign Lewis, if he was so important (leadoff) to them? Did he have other offers from MLB teams? Looks like another band-aid attempt to cover a much bigger hole. I know the Reds won the division last year. But, I don't think they're so much better than their NL Central brethren, to think they can take a couple of castoffs and improve enough to stay ahead of the competition. I just don't get the excitement.

Hondo
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Taken separately one would say 900K for Fred Lewis is a nice deal. No argument there.

But isn't the object to win it all? Does acquiring Fred Lewis do that? I don't believe it does.

A number of people on here are satisfied or better with Walt's off-season moves. I am not in that crowd. I would grade him out at C- at best. And that is giving Walt every benefit of the doubt.

Have you noticed finally some posters are coming out and calling out what this off season really is...

PeteRoseBelongs
01-11-2011, 12:41 PM
yes Hondo I see that. I am really perplexed by this. One one Heisey is getting a vote of confidence in Reds land and in the front office and the next day Hermida and then Lewis are signed. I am really unhappy about this. I really like Heisey and I wanted to see him have a chance. I hope that the kid see's this as a challenge and steps up and has an incredible spring. I want to see him destroy the competition and outright win the job

Stray
01-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Heisey hasn't done anything that would entitle him to a spot on the roster. That said, I do hope he performs well in ST and earns it.

Oxblood
01-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Heisey hasn't done anything that would entitle him to a spot on the roster.

Lewis has? He's a non-factor.

FlightRick
01-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Lewis has? He's a non-factor.

You... you... you don't know what words mean, do you?

You're entitled to wish for the Reds to make moves more in line with your own personal wishes; everybody's got an opinion. But you're not entitled to call a proven 1.5+ WAR major leaguer a "non-factor"; that's not an opinion, that's being demonstrably wrong.

Rick

texasdave
01-11-2011, 11:12 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/lewis-and-gomes-perfect-platoon-partners/

Fangraphs likes a Gomes/Lewis platoon.

Oxblood
01-12-2011, 11:23 AM

You're entitled to wish for the Reds to make moves more in line with your own personal wishes; everybody's got an opinion. But you're not entitled to call a proven 1.5+ WAR major leaguer a "non-factor"; that's not an opinion, that's being demonstrably wrong.

Don't be a stooge. Guy hasn't proved anything in the majors. He's just the type of guy that Duhsty's gonna keep running out there day after day after day even when it's obvious he's terrible. Patterson, Taveras, Cabrera, now Renteria & Lewis.

Fred Lewis, real winner. That's the type of guy to put us over the top? No thanks, I'll take Heisey.

Captain13
01-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Don't be a stooge. Guy hasn't proved anything in the majors. He's just the type of guy that Duhsty's gonna keep running out there day after day after day even when it's obvious he's terrible. Patterson, Taveras, Cabrera, now Renteria & Lewis.

Fred Lewis, real winner. That's the type of guy to put us over the top? No thanks, I'll take Heisey.

Jeeze, pleasing the SunDeck is all but impossible. Get a youngster and "he hasn't proved anything in the majors", get a veteran and Jocketty just keeps "getting old guys who can't perform any more".

Oxblood
01-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Jeeze, pleasing the SunDeck is all but impossible. Get a youngster and "he hasn't proved anything in the majors", get a veteren and Jocketty just keeps "getting old guys who can't perform any more".

Dang skippy. I want winners! I'd rather just play w/ 8 and .......

malcontent
01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Great signing, IMNSHO.

Needed a LH bat to platoon with Gomes.

Fills a big hole at lead-off. Keeps Stubbs lower in the order where he's more comfortable.

I expect him to have a career-type year for the Reds.

Thank you, Walt!

roby
01-12-2011, 03:09 PM

Rick

I agree with Rick here about Fred Lewis. For those of you who have followed the Reds for awhile...think of Lewis as similar to Bip Roberts when he was acquired from the Padres to lead off for the Reds. Lewis could make a huge difference in the Reds offense because of his OBP alone. it will give Phillips, Votto and Bruce someone to drive in on a pretty regular basis. The Reds OBP out of the lead-off spot was atrocious last year. Having said that, I still would be glad if Heisey, Sappelt, Frazier or Cruz won the left field job because they outplayed Lewis. GO REDLEGS!!!

LeDoux
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM

You never struck me as a poster that would expect the Reds to pick up Phillies-level talent (and their 135+ million payroll) over the break. So, if I can assume that is not what you mean by preparing to win it all what are the Reds realistic options? Trading the farm mortgages 2012 and beyond. Adding significant payroll at this point would remove the margin to use at trade at the deadline or for working out a Votto LTC. The typical Sundeck trade proposals either clean out the farm (half the Louisville starting lineup) or are entirely unrealistic (Cordero-for-Reyes equivalents). So with the given restraints, how could Walt make this team more competitive? As is, I think they will stack up well in the Central. They are not a 100 win team, but 90-93 should do the trick.

brm7675
01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Can Lewis lay down a good bunt?

New York Red
01-13-2011, 03:10 PM
I hope so. Someone to teach Stubbs that art would be a welcomed addition.

This signing, like the Renteria signing, isn't a grand slam signing, but it addresses a need. We've upgraded, albeit slightly, two areas that needed addressing. No complaints here.

Quatitos
01-13-2011, 05:08 PM

I Split PA AB H RBI SO BA OBP SLG OPS GDP SH BAbip tOPS+
Bunts 8 6 2 0 0 .333 .333 .333 .667 0 2 .333 75

in 1528 PA, Lewis has laid down a bunt 8 times for a total of 2 bunt hits and 2 sac bunts. It seems that bunting will not be a very big part of Lewis' game.

brm7675
01-13-2011, 06:28 PM
I Split PA AB H RBI SO BA OBP SLG OPS GDP SH BAbip tOPS+
Bunts 8 6 2 0 0 .333 .333 .333 .667 0 2 .333 75

in 1528 PA, Lewis has laid down a bunt 8 times for a total of 2 bunt hits and 2 sac bunts. It seems that bunting will not be a very big part of Lewis' game.

The "art" of bunting and bunting for a hit is almost gone from today's game which is sad. A player like Stubbs could see his obp and BA increase by leaps and bounds if he could do it and it woulnd't hurt his power numbers a bit.

DocRed
01-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Just curious where do you get Bunt hit stats?

Quatitos
01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Just curious where do you get Bunt hit stats?

Baseball reference and I went to his career splits.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

TeamSelig
01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Good signing IMO. The Heisey homerism on here is a bit ridiculous. Reminds me of the Ben Broussard talk in the past.

Lewis is comfortable batting lead off, will get on base at a decent clip, good defense, athletic, etc. As long as he doesn't play vs LHP, I think it will work out great. Honestly, our platoon will be just as good as a great every day player. Sure, signing Lewis isn't a big splash or anything, but I think it will really help.

VS LHP (263/349/482/831) [Gomes 3 yr split]
VS RHP (277/349/444/793) [Lewis 3 yr split]

That's a pretty good combo IMO. 812 avg OPS between the two. That platoon is similar to Matsui (820), Soriano (818), Burrell (817), Raburn (814), etc. Better than guys like JD Drew, Markakis, Granderson, etc.

I think we'll see:

Fred Lewis vs RHP: approx 340-350 OBP 775-800 OPS 30-35 EBH 8-12 HRs 15-20 SBs
Jonny Gomes vs LHP: approx 370-380 OBP 850-870 OPS 10-15 EBH 5-10 HRs

=

355 OBP 830 OPS 40 2Bs 5 3Bs 20 HRs 15 SBs

That's a good player. Gomes' defense won't be that big of a liability being that he won't be out there every day.