PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton still in hospital with pneumonia, but improving

RBA
01-13-2011, 05:40 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/12/hamilton-still-in-hospital-with-pneumonia-but-showing-improvement/

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/pneumonia/risk-factors.html
"Drug and Alcohol Abuse. Alcohol or drug abuse is strongly associated with pneumonia. These substances act as sedatives and can diminish the reflexes that trigger coughing and sneezing. Alcohol also interferes with the actions of macrophages, the white blood cells that destroy bacteria and other microbes. Intravenous drug abusers are at risk for pneumonia from infections that start at the injection site and spread through the bloodstream to the lungs"

Will M
01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/12/hamilton-still-in-hospital-with-pneumonia-but-showing-improvement/

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/pneumonia/risk-factors.html
"Drug and Alcohol Abuse. Alcohol or drug abuse is strongly associated with pneumonia. These substances act as sedatives and can diminish the reflexes that trigger coughing and sneezing. Alcohol also interferes with the actions of macrophages, the white blood cells that destroy bacteria and other microbes. Intravenous drug abusers are at risk for pneumonia from infections that start at the injection site and spread through the bloodstream to the lungs"

Young healthy people get pneumonia all the time. Usually its what is these days called atypical pneumonia but was in the old days was called walking pneumonia. This is usually treated with oral antibiotics at home but sometimes can be more severe. You can even die from this. Legionare's disease is an example fo an atypical pneumonia than can be severe.

You can also get more typical pneumonia such as streptococcal. This is more common in older sicker folks but does at times happen to young healthy folks. All these patients get hospitalized.

To suggest Josh is using drugs or alcohol based on him being admitted to a hospital for treatment of pneumonia is pure speculation.

RBA
01-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Yes, it's pure speculation. But I have bad experience with addicts. Don't trust them.

Jpup
01-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Yes, it's pure speculation. But I have bad experience with addicts. Don't trust them.

You really think Hamilton has fallen back into addiction?

Razor Shines
01-13-2011, 10:07 PM

I would think that anyone who has ever been around an addict or addicts would have had bad experiences with them. Hamilton's entire family has had a bad experience with him, but people can change.

TheNext44
01-13-2011, 11:03 PM
To me this says more about Hamilton's overall health than it does about his fight with addiction. Doing the amount of drugs he did in the timespan he did then in does a whole of damage to the body. That's what scared me the most about him, his likelihood of getting hurt or sick on a regular basis, more than him relapsing.

Eric_the_Red
01-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Cue the obligatory "Would you still trade Hamilton for Volquez?" discussion.

RedFanAlways1966
01-14-2011, 07:57 AM
I have no problem with people "wondering if this and/or that..." when it comes to Josh Hamilton. And I do not blame people for asking. Blame Josh Hamilton for people asking. Josh made terrible decisions in his life and will forever carry that stigma. Not fair? Probably not. Especially if he will foever be clean. But he created this... not the people who ask.

cumberlandreds
01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
To me this says more about Hamilton's overall health than it does about his fight with addiction. Doing the amount of drugs he did in the timespan he did then in does a whole of damage to the body. That's what scared me the most about him, his likelihood of getting hurt or sick on a regular basis, more than him relapsing.

This is what I was thinking. His past abuses may make him more likely to acquite pneumonia and other infectious diseases.

cincrazy
01-14-2011, 09:51 AM
I've never done a drug in my life, nor smoked or drank for that matter, and I got pneumonia. Knocked me flat on my back for six weeks, and I didn't fully recover until months later. No matter the reason for Josh coming down with it, it's not to be taken lightly. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Ghosts of 1990
01-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Surprised that some are sparking the debate here. It's not a relapse, I think that's as irresponsible to assume as when some here included myself doubted Votto missing games this past season for any reason other than an ear ache or sinus infection or whatever he had.

I think the media is partly to blame. If Drew Stubbs is hospitalized with Pneumonia, it's not a sportscenter lead story is it? It's probably not a story at all. But the media reports on Hamilton's bout with the illness and hospitalization so that we as fans can speculate 'is it a relapse' or 'is it due to his history'. Kind of a sad reality really.

SunDeck
01-14-2011, 12:41 PM
I had a friend die of pneumonia two years ago. Perfectly healthy guy- not a smoker, exercised regularly, was a strong runner. Sometimes young people who seem otherwise very healthy get pneumonia.

Slyder
01-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I had a friend die of pneumonia two years ago. Perfectly healthy guy- not a smoker, exercised regularly, was a strong runner. Sometimes young people who seem otherwise very healthy get pneumonia.

I got pneumonia multiple times as a kid. Its not really fair for the misleading segments when it could be explained rather easily without dragging it into "did he relapse?" But also like others have said Hamilton's previous choices have left this as an almost certainty everytime anything happens.

Ghosts of 1990
01-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Beat writer for the Cavs Brian Windhorst got pneumonia a few years back and almost died. He was only 26 or 27 at the time.

Roy Tucker
01-14-2011, 02:14 PM
I go along with the theory that Hamilton's previous drug addiction has possibly weakened his resisitance to sicknesses and injuries more than an indication of a relapse. But then, he could have just plain old caught the bug. Who knows?

As far as recovering addicts go, my philosophy has always been "trust, but verify".

Jpup
01-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm trusting the guy. If he relapses, we'll likely know pretty quickly and it probably won't be covered with a story about him getting pneumonia.

TRF
01-14-2011, 04:46 PM
I think the media is partly to blame. If Drew Stubbs is hospitalized with Pneumonia, it's not a sportscenter lead story is it? It's probably not a story at all. But the media reports on Hamilton's bout with the illness and hospitalization so that we as fans can speculate 'is it a relapse' or 'is it due to his history'. Kind of a sad reality really.

Is Drew Stubbs the reigning AL MVP? It was reported firstly because EVERY baseball fan knows who Josh Hamilton is. Stubbs? not so much.

2nd, because he has a past that includes heavy drug and alcohol abuse, no one knows just what his immune system can or can't fight off. It is a subject for discussion. There isn't a comparable player in the history of the game for Hamilton that we know of.

As for Hamilton's possible relapse, guess who started chewing tobacco this year? For a guy that has publicly told everyone he tries to avoid any situation where he could come in contact with an addictive substance, well, tobacco is addictive. It may be nothing or it may be part of the pattern.

Jpup
01-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Is Drew Stubbs the reigning AL MVP? It was reported firstly because EVERY baseball fan knows who Josh Hamilton is. Stubbs? not so much.

2nd, because he has a past that includes heavy drug and alcohol abuse, no one knows just what his immune system can or can't fight off. It is a subject for discussion. There isn't a comparable player in the history of the game for Hamilton that we know of.

As for Hamilton's possible relapse, guess who started chewing tobacco this year? For a guy that has publicly told everyone he tries to avoid any situation where he could come in contact with an addictive substance, well, tobacco is addictive. It may be nothing or it may be part of the pattern.

Hamilton has been chewing every since he reappeared. He certainly has been doing it for, at least, 3 years.

TRF
01-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Hamilton has been chewing every since he reappeared. He certainly has been doing it for, at least, 3 years.

hmm, i was sure i read he started this year, or started again. I might be mistaken though.

edit: I am. He apparently gave it up in 2009. The wad in his mouth now is seeds or gum.

RedsBaron
01-14-2011, 08:44 PM
I go along with the theory that Hamilton's previous drug addiction has possibly weakened his resisitance to sicknesses and injuries more than an indication of a relapse. But then, he could have just plain old caught the bug. Who knows?

As far as recovering addicts go, my philosophy has always been "trust, but verify".

I agree on all points.

Razor Shines
01-15-2011, 04:44 PM
hmm, i was sure i read he started this year, or started again. I might be mistaken though.

edit: I am. He apparently gave it up in 2009. The wad in his mouth now is seeds or gum.

Yeah, I knew he chewed with Reds, but didn't know he gave it up.