PDA

View Full Version : whats some of your favorite Paul Keels memories

icehole3
01-14-2011, 05:04 AM
The Reds have replaced Keels with Kelch for next season

My favorite is "flyball to right field Chris Heisey makes the catch!" Umm Paul that was Jay Bruce in right, he mustve done that about a half dozen times.

Kelch adds television work to announcing duties
REDS BROADCAST TEAM

By John Kiesewetter ? jkiesewetter@enquirer.com ? January 13, 2011

After one year on Reds' radio broadcasts, Jim Kelch will move part-time into the television booth.

The former Louisville baseball announcer, who joined Reds radio full-time last year, will replace Paul Keels as the secondary Fox Sports Ohio play-by-play announcer when not on radio.

"I'm very thrilled with the opportunity, and glad the Reds believed in me and think I can do the job," Kelch said.

Kelch did TV and radio for the minor-league Louisville franchise from 1989-2009. He did two Reds games for FSO last season.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20110113/SPT04/101140348/

MartyFan
01-14-2011, 07:51 AM
My favorite Keels moment has to be one that didn't happen in the booth.

It is of him cleaning out any sort of desk, cubbie or cubical he may have had at GABP and leaving the building.

Here is a confession. When they hired him I thought, cool. I remembered his demo from back when the Reds were looking to find a "replacement" for Joe..and I REALLY liked that demo. One thing I learned while in management in radio and should have applied here is NEVER hire a person off of their demo...demo's, when they are good are always THE VERY BEST YOU WILL EVER HEAR from a talent. That is certainly what happened with mr Keels....good day, sir...I said, good day!

1990REDS
01-14-2011, 08:03 AM
I've always enjoyed listening to him do OSU football and basketball games which is why I was always so shocked at how bad he was during reds games. I guess calling baseball just isn't his thing.

cumberlandreds
01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't remember any. I usually dozed off when he was talking. ;)

He just wasn't very good broadcasting baseball. I have never heard him on OSU broadcasts so I can't comment on that. I do know some or most broadcasters are better at one sport than another. Only the truly greats are good at all.

lollipopcurve
01-14-2011, 08:25 AM
I enjoyed his sprinklings of 70s and 80s Reds trivia.

oneupper
01-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Wow. Kelch spent 20 years in the minors before being called up to the big team.

Bob Borkowski
01-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Wow. Kelch spent 20 years in the minors before being called up to the big team.

He's paid his dues, that's for sure.

Unassisted
01-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Keels had done radio PBP for one of the universities in Cincinnati before landing the Ohio State gig. The connections he acquired during his time in Cincinnati probably gave him a leg up in the Reds' hiring process. It's refreshing that the club was willing to recognize that there was a better option and moved on.

I like Kelch's work overall and I like his effect on Marty when they work together. IMO, he makes Marty better. Maybe he'd make Brantley better, too?

Ghosts of 1990
01-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Great thread topic.

I think similar to the first post; I heard Keels call Miguel Cairo (filling in for Joey Votto at 1st base) 'Votto' for the course of several innings in a ballgame last summer.

reds1869
01-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I
He just wasn't very good broadcasting baseball. I have never heard him on OSU broadcasts so I can't comment on that. I do know some or most broadcasters are better at one sport than another. Only the truly greats are good at all.

If you've never heard Marty calling a basketball game you've missed a real treat.

Roy Tucker
01-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Keels has great pipes and a good speaking cadence and I liked to listen to him.

But he was pretty consistent in getting players names wrong. I can understand once in a while, but it borders on unforgivable when it happens a lot.

cumberlandreds
01-14-2011, 10:33 AM
If you've never heard Marty calling a basketball game you've missed a real treat.

I have but it's been a long time ago. He did UK basketball games on TV back in the late 80's,IIRC. I don't remember how good or bad he was.

icehole3
01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Great thread topic.

I think similar to the first post; I heard Keels call Miguel Cairo (filling in for Joey Votto at 1st base) 'Votto' for the course of several innings in a ballgame last summer.

another fav Keels moment is "it's a long flyball deep to left and the catch is made by Paul Janish!"

Bill
01-14-2011, 11:17 AM
I warned in the thread where keels was hired that he is always getting names wrong during games. Of course with fewer players on the field, less collisions and more space, one would expect improvement in that area. I understand some like his basketball gamecalling. He should stick with that.

kaldaniels
01-14-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2215980&postcount=590

"AND JANISH TO LEFT FIELD. PAUL JANISH. HE DOES IT into the corner where it is grabbed on a running catch"

Blitz Dorsey
01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
I've always enjoyed listening to him do OSU football and basketball games which is why I was always so shocked at how bad he was during reds games. I guess calling baseball just isn't his thing.

You have to be kidding. He's dreadful doing OSU football games too. (He's OK doing basketball.) Every OSU football fan that I know agrees that he's a trainwreck. No emotion, doesn't do his homework, always messing up the names of players ... just all around a terrible announcer. He's getting by with his golden pipes and nothing else.

reds44
01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2215980&postcount=590
Hahahahahahahahaha. There were so many just like this too.

Jpup
01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Couldn't have worked out better. Love Kelch. O happy day.:thumbup:

1990REDS
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM
You have to be kidding. He's dreadful doing OSU football games too. (He's OK doing basketball.) Every OSU football fan that I know agrees that he's a trainwreck. No emotion, doesn't do his homework, always messing up the names of players ... just all around a terrible announcer. He's getting by with his golden pipes and nothing else.

Different opinions I guess.

bucksfan
01-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Same feelings here. Although granted, with all the football games now easily accesible on tv anymore, I have heard him very little on the football side recently. Still end up having to catch some bball games over the radio now & then though.

dabvu2498
01-15-2011, 02:43 AM
I have but it's been a long time ago. He did UK basketball games on TV back in the late 80's,IIRC. I don't remember how good or bad he was.

He used to do quite a few NCAA tourney games, including the Final Four. I can remember him doing games in 98. And yeah, he's very very good doing basketball.

Nasty_Boy
01-15-2011, 06:59 AM

Wow, me and most of my friends are OSU fans and we all seem to love him. I also enjoyed him during Reds games because of his knowledge of the history of Reds baseball. He did screw up some with names, and he consistently made that mistake. But I liked listening to him... As a matter of fact, I liked anything that kept the Cowgirl from talking. He drives me up a wall! :D

Heath
01-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I think Paul Keels has a face for radio.

He does a good job doing OSU Football and Basketball.

Jim Kelch, welcome to the big leagues.

GADawg
01-15-2011, 11:19 AM
of course I'm paraphrasing here 'cause I can't remember the hitter but "and the 1-2 to Phillips...just outside...1 and 3". I had to rewind the tivo on that one to make sure I hadn't lost it.

Seems like a very nice man and has a great radio voice, that said I won't miss him.

Blitz Dorsey
01-15-2011, 03:40 PM
OSU fans who have posted in this thread. I'm sure you're also a member of an OSU message board somewhere. Go post a poll on your favorite Buckeye football site asking "Is Paul Keels a good announcer for OSU football?" The options should be simply "Yes" and "No."

Let me know how it goes. I'm predicting a landslide of people that would concur with me. Keels is awful doing OSU football. He's not bad at basketball though; I'll give him that.

I'm going to post my poll on Bucknuts.com. I'll let you know how it goes.

VR
01-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Give the man a velvet jacket, pipe....and get him to the chess circuit asap, he has missed his true calling.

Captain Hook
01-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Will Allens int that ended the OSU vs. Mich. game and put the Bucks in the National Championship game in 2002 is my favorite.Here's another one I really enjoyed.

YouTube - Evan Turners Buzzer Beater - Radio calls from Ohio and Michigan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYC3KzPgvzs)

I won't miss him doing Reds games though.

traderumor
01-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Wow, me and most of my friends are OSU fans and we all seem to love him. I also enjoyed him during Reds games because of his knowledge of the history of Reds baseball. He did screw up some with names, and he consistently made that mistake. But I liked listening to him... As a matter of fact, I liked anything that kept the Cowgirl from talking. He drives me up a wall! :DThere's only one problem with his "knowledge" of the history of Reds baseball. He was not very good at recalling actual facts, just throwing out crap to see if it stuck. I would agree with the overall assessment: stick to the OSU gig.

traderumor
01-16-2011, 08:56 AM
OSU fans who have posted in this thread. I'm sure you're also a member of an OSU message board somewhere. Go post a poll on your favorite Buckeye football site asking "Is Paul Keels a good announcer for OSU football?" The options should be simply "Yes" and "No."

Let me know how it goes. I'm predicting a landslide of people that would concur with me. Keels is awful doing OSU football. He's not bad at basketball though; I'll give him that.

I'm going to post my poll on Bucknuts.com. I'll let you know how it goes.Wouldn't prove anything, as if fans are the authority on the quality of an announcer.