PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on Lance Berkman

MikeThierry
01-17-2011, 02:22 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_21dd4195-2a5a-526b-a659-f9c9efe3c9c5.html

I know this is a Reds forum but this will have impact on the NL Central. There are a lot of people that criticized the Cardinals for signing Berkman but if what this article says is true, he looks like a man on a mission. Surprised about him losing 20 pounds and going from 16 percent body fat to 12 percent body fat. He indeed looks like different player. If he can stay healthy, the Cardinals lineup could be dangerous.

brm7675
01-17-2011, 02:45 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_21dd4195-2a5a-526b-a659-f9c9efe3c9c5.html

I know this is a Reds forum but this will have impact on the NL Central. There are a lot of people that criticized the Cardinals for signing Berkman but if what this article says is true, he looks like a man on a mission. Surprised about him losing 20 pounds and going from 16 percent body fat to 12 percent body fat. He indeed looks like different player. If he can stay healthy, the Cardinals lineup could be dangerous.

Sorry but age can't be turned back, as you age your skills diminish...

goreds2
01-17-2011, 03:39 PM
In somewhat related news......

" St. Louis manager Tony La Russa said that Matt Holliday will stay in left field and newly acquired Lance Berkman will play in right. Berkman, 34, has been primarily a first baseman the past four years. "

nmculbreth
01-17-2011, 03:47 PM
These kind of stories have almost become de rigueur during the off season. You can't go a week without reading about somebody who implements a new off season routine, has lost a bunch of weight and plans to report to camp in the best shape of their life.

Even if Lance Berkman is able to stay healthy and is able to be the same kind of hitter he was from 2007 to 2009, I don't see how he fits in with the Cards. He hasn't played in the OF since 2007 and even then he was primarily used as a 1B. The guy hasn't played primarily in the OF since 2004, color me skeptical that he's somehow going to be anywhere close to adequate out there more than a half decade later.

MikeThierry
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
One of the main problems for the Cardinals last year was guys getting on base infront of Pujols and Holiday. Even in his off year last year, Berkman still had a relatively high OBP. LaRussa will probably be batting him in that 2 spot in front of Pujols. If he gets on base on a .380-.400 clip, that will set up the Cardinals offense real nice with Pujols, Holliday, Rasmus, and Freese backing him up. He will also see more quality pitches because he has Pujols hitting behind him.

Another thing to note is that the Cardinals pitching staff induces the most ground balls in baseball. If Berkman can just make the routine plays in Right Field, I think the signing could work.

Tadasimha
01-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm thinking the chance of injuries is very high for the Cardinals. Dropped weight or not, ground balls or not, Berkman is going to be running around a lot more than in previous years. There'll be a lot of starters on this team spending time on the DL: Berkman and Holliday, possibly Rasmus and Pujols.

01-17-2011, 09:10 PM
One of the main problems for the Cardinals last year was guys getting on base infront of Pujols and Holiday. Even in his off year last year, Berkman still had a relatively high OBP. LaRussa will probably be batting him in that 2 spot in front of Pujols. If he gets on base on a .380-.400 clip, that will set up the Cardinals offense real nice with Pujols, Holliday, Rasmus, and Freese backing him up. He will also see more quality pitches because he has Pujols hitting behind him.

Another thing to note is that the Cardinals pitching staff induces the most ground balls in baseball. If Berkman can just make the routine plays in Right Field, I think the signing could work.

All I know is that I would have lost a lot of money betting against the Cardinal moves that I thought wouldn't work out. I have no idea how they do it, but they seem to have a magic touch with moves like these.

webbbj
01-17-2011, 09:38 PM
i would expect berkman to play well.

LeDoux
01-17-2011, 10:26 PM
If he gets on base on a .380-.400 clip...

I think expecting a .380+ OBP is somewhat optimistic, but you never know.

As for the groundball inducing- you now have Skip and "The Riot" as the primary middle infielders. LF/CF may see more action without Ryan at SS. Thats a lot of weak D on the left side.

I am no prophet and cannot predict 2011 production levels, but if I were a Cards fan I would rather see someone like Lewis in LF than Berkman.

MikeThierry
01-18-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm thinking the chance of injuries is very high for the Cardinals. Dropped weight or not, ground balls or not, Berkman is going to be running around a lot more than in previous years. There'll be a lot of starters on this team spending time on the DL: Berkman and Holliday, possibly Rasmus and Pujols.

I don't know why you would think Holliday and Pujols will end up on the DL. Both are not injury prone or don't have a history of major injuries.

defender
01-18-2011, 01:26 AM
There is no way Berkman is going to get 90+ walks (and a .380+ OBP) hitting in front of Pujols. I think he is much better suited as a 5th hitter.

Krawhitham
01-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Sorry but age can't be turned back, as you age your skills diminish...

Sure it can just ask Barroid

mlh1981
01-18-2011, 07:35 AM
I guess my only concern is that he's always abused Reds pitching, so sucks having him back in the NL Central. With that said, his name these days sounds more impressive than what it really is.

freestyle55
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
I guess my only concern is that he's always abused Reds pitching, so sucks having him back in the NL Central. With that said, his name these days sounds more impressive than what it really is.

At the same time though, how much of that was because he was abusing our lousy pitchers? Now that we actually have a real pitching staff, hopefully he continues last year's numbers...

5-30, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 8 BB, 7 K's, 3 GDP .167/.342/.333/.675

wlf WV
01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
One guy I would have taken for middle of order, if I could have known the article facts before signing.AS big or bigger upside than Rolen.One year deal for a chance of All Star caliber bat and winner.A gamble I would have taken,although salary is a little steep.If healthy I think he will play at least average? defense.Although we don't have to have him ,he would have been a nice addition.Hate him batting against us.Last year was an aberration,a sudden drop off,I expect a significant rebound.

wlf WV
01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
One guy I would have taken for middle of order, if I could have known the article facts before signing.AS big or bigger upside than Rolen.One year deal for a chance of All Star caliber bat and winner.A gamble I would have taken,although salary is a little steep.If healthy I think he will play at least average? defense.Although we don't have to have him he would have been a nice addition.Hate him batting against us.Last year was not a continual patten of decline ,it was a one year aberration.

nmculbreth
01-18-2011, 06:55 PM
One guy I would have taken for middle of order, if I could have known the article facts before signing.AS big or bigger upside than Rolen.One year deal for a chance of All Star caliber bat and winner.A gamble I would have taken,although salary is a little steep.If healthy I think he will play at least average? defense.Although we don't have to have him he would have been a nice addition.Hate him batting against us.Last year was not a continual patten of decline ,it was a one year aberration.

Out of curiousity, what leads to you that conclusion? He was around a replacement level defensive OF in his prime, hasn't played the position since 2007 and he has been dealing with knee issues for the past few years. I don't see any way he isn't a huge liability in the field and I don't see him putting up the kind of numbers at the plate that he'll need in order to offset his negative fielding value.

brm7675
01-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Wonder how "pissed" Carpenter will be when his 'grand' OF gives up extra base hits and such because of how bad they are defensivly. I don't see Berkman being any better in the field then Gomes is and we all know how scary Gomes is in the field.

MikeThierry
01-18-2011, 11:21 PM
I understand the skepticism here but I think the potential of that lineup is promising. The Cardinals do have depth in the outfield so if Berkman fails, a Jon Jay or Allen Craig tandem would be ok. I know 8 million seems like a lot but you do have to remember that 8 million came off the books from Penny last year. The Cards do have a bit of money they can throw around on risk/reward players on a yearly basis.

Nathan
01-18-2011, 11:32 PM

At the same time though, how much of that was because he was abusing our lousy pitchers? Now that we actually have a real pitching staff, hopefully he continues last year's numbers...

5-30, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 8 BB, 7 K's, 3 GDP .167/.342/.333/.675

That's why I hate looking at players vs teams. With the turnover rate that the Reds' pitching staff has gone through in the last, say 3 years is pretty astronomical, let alone throughout Berkman's career.

foxfire123
01-18-2011, 11:35 PM
I don't know why you would think Holliday and Pujols will end up on the DL. Both are not injury prone or don't have a history of major injuries.

Law of averages says they're due. Griffey wasn't all that accident prone until later in his career either.

MikeThierry
01-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Law of averages says they're due. Griffey wasn't all that accident prone until later in his career either.

Griffey had some major injuries that required surgery before he even got to the Reds. I just don't think GMs should run a ballclub on fear of injuries from players that don't have a major history of injuries. Its logical to expect decline but to not sign a player based on what might happen, injury wise, is kind of silly.

Nathan
01-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Law of averages says they're due.

If that was the case, than how can you explain Ripken, Favre et al?

Girevik
01-19-2011, 10:47 AM

Griffey had some major injuries that required surgery before he even got to the Reds. I just don't think GMs should run a ballclub on fear of injuries from players that don't have a major history of injuries. Its logical to expect decline but to not sign a player based on what might happen, injury wise, is kind of silly.

By FoxFire's logic, you should go after guys with a history of injury problems, because the law of averages say they're due for a healthy run.

Captain13
01-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Buy FoxFire's logic, you should go after guys with a history of injury problems, because the law of averages say they're due for a healthy run.

:beerme:

foxfire123
01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
By FoxFire's logic, you should go after guys with a history of injury problems, because the law of averages say they're due for a healthy run.

Ha...Ha...

I'm just saying these guys aren't indestructible robots. Injuries can and will happen, even to the best.

Mutaman
01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I think the main reason the Crads signed Bergman was so Tony would have somebody to go to teaparty meetings with him.

Do you think if Bergman had anything left the Yankees would have let him go?

MikeThierry
01-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Muta, in this article he explains how he just didn't feel home at New York and never felt part of the team. Who knows if the Yankees offered him a contract. Houston and St. Louis were his first two choices.

Mutaman
01-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Muta, in this article he explains how he just didn't feel home at New York and never felt part of the team. Who knows if the Yankees offered him a contract. Houston and St. Louis were his first two choices.

Going back to the beginning of free agency, if the Yankees want someone, they usually get them (except of course for Mr. Lee). The general concensus in New York was that Berkman was washed up and a big disappointment. I could see him filling in somewhere as a DH. I cannot imagine him as an everyday outfielder. He'll make Dunn look like Jay Bruce.