PDA

View Full Version : What would Joey fetch?

Dunnateher
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Walt forbid, but what if this signing means that Mr. MVP wants to get to free agency on time and get his payday. I like Joey as much as the next guy but baseball is a business and the Reds would be hard pressed to match a free agent offer to Mr. Votto. What could the Reds get in return for after this year?

freestyle55
01-18-2011, 11:12 AM
A super ticked off fan base?

webbbj
01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
they just signed him to 3 years to avoid arbitration, the reds are not gonna trade votto unless its in the last year of his contract and they are out of contention at the ASB.

if he maintains his current level, in three years i'd expect contracts values to raise. 6 years $25 million+ per year, i'd suppose.

will5979
01-18-2011, 11:31 AM
A super ticked off fan base?

This. You think Adam Dunn was crucified? TBH even though Votto is my favorite player I kinda lost a positive feeling for him with the way he always cold shouldered the question about a Reds LTC.

DocRed
01-18-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't think there is any chance he is traded until at the earliest right before the trade deadline in his 2nd year and that's only if we are out of contention.

CySeymour
01-18-2011, 01:51 PM
This. You think Adam Dunn was crucified? TBH even though Votto is my favorite player I kinda lost a positive feeling for him with the way he always cold shouldered the question about a Reds LTC.

Why? What did you expect him to say?

nmculbreth
01-18-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't think there is any chance he is traded until at the earliest right before the trade deadline in his 2nd year and that's only if we are out of contention.

This is pretty much spot on.

Quite simply there isn't any reason to deal him in the next year. He's under the Reds control for the next three seasons, will likely outperform the contract and the Reds don't have a suitable replacement.

If Alonso goes crazy at AAA and Votto doesn't warm to the idea of a LTC, I could see the Reds putting out some feelers to see what kind of return they could get for Votto during the next off season. Until then there really isn't any point to looking to move him.

mroby85
01-18-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm getting so sick of reading comments about trading Votto. They finally have a stud franchise type player. When you get a player like that you KEEP them. There is a reason he would bring back so much in a trade, hes valuable. the Most Valuable Player in the entire league in fact. If you want to keep having winning seasons, you keep Votto. If you want to go back to the way things were before he got there, trade him for some prospects, who are cheap.

brm7675
01-18-2011, 07:30 PM
JV is going no where, our owner has shown when "he" wants to he will pony up the monies, look for Votto's deal to get "redone" at somepoint after this next season to expand by 3-4 more seasons....

will5979
01-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Why? What did you expect him to say?

Uh I expect a little loyalty and say "this is the team that drafted me, given me the chance to perform, and I helped to put this proud franchise back on the map, the least I can do is reward them with a LTC to help build a new Big Red Machine Dyansty."

Stray
01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Uh I expect a little loyalty and say "this is the team that drafted me, given me the chance to perform, and I helped to put this proud franchise back on the map, the least I can do is reward them with a LTC to help build a new Big Red Machine Dyansty."

He was honest, that's all we can ask from him. He said he's too young to even think about what he wants in 5-7 years. That's understandable.

webbbj
01-18-2011, 11:37 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Votto should get all that hes worth and who could blame him

Girevik
01-19-2011, 10:42 AM
JV is going no where, our owner has shown when "he" wants to he will pony up the monies, look for Votto's deal to get "redone" at somepoint after this next season to expand by 3-4 more seasons....

But what if Votto decides that HE wants to go back to Toronto and play, or simply wants the biggest payday possible and the Reds get outbid by one of the big boys?

Krawhitham
01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm getting so sick of reading comments about trading Votto. They finally have a stud franchise type player. When you get a player like that you KEEP them.

You also keep hearing that power hitting 1st basemen are easy to find

The last time the Reds had a 1st basemen with 30+hr and hit .300+ was 51 years ago

1959 Frank Robinson

Krawhitham
01-19-2011, 06:26 PM

what this was not good enough for you?

“But I can’t imagine playing anywhere else,” he said. “I enjoy myself. I can’t imagine being with a better team. The Yankees or Red Sox — that’s a lot to deal with. I don’t want to go anywhere else.”

RoundingThird
01-20-2011, 07:35 AM
This is pretty much spot on.

Quite simply there isn't any reason to deal him in the next year. He's under the Reds control for the next three seasons, will likely outperform the contract and the Reds don't have a suitable replacement.

If Alonso goes crazy at AAA and Votto doesn't warm to the idea of a LTC, I could see the Reds putting out some feelers to see what kind of return they could get for Votto during the next off season. Until then there really isn't any point to looking to move him.

I actually think that makes sense. Good post. If Alonso has a monster season at AAA and we approach Joey Votto and he is cold to the idea of a longer term contract; maybe it is time to cut bait after 2011. I think Votto could get a couple of top prospects and/or quality players from several clubs at that point.

Hey Meat
01-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Walt forbid, but what if this signing means that Mr. MVP wants to get to free agency on time and get his payday. I like Joey as much as the next guy but baseball is a business and the Reds would be hard pressed to match a free agent offer to Mr. Votto. What could the Reds get in return for after this year?

Don't know, Don't care. That had better not happen or I will be quite ticked. I would rather move Yonder first than have that happen, and I'm sure Yonder could bring something good in a trade in the near future.

TheBigLebowski
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Perhaps a frisbee?

sean
01-20-2011, 06:26 PM

You want him to reward us because he helped us get back on the map? What?