PDA

View Full Version : Check out this gem from StL writer Joe Strauss

Redsfan320
01-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Chat today with Joe Strauss from the STL Post Dispatch:
Thomas C.: I know itís early, but what does your NL Central projected standings look like at this point:

Joe Strauss: Many will lampoon this, butÖI like St. Louis and Chicago 1 and 2 (in either order), and Cincinnati and Milwaukee 3 and 4. The same folks who consumed the Brewer Kool-Aid last season have absolutely ODíd on the trade for Greinke. Iím not sold but am impressed by Marcumís potential for a breakout. The Brewers have serious defense and depth issues (sound familiar?). The Garza trade was huge for the Cubs. Zambrano was 8-0 in his last 11 starts last season. When Big Z rolls, the Cubs are a force. Cincinnati will see a regression to the mean by several of their big guns. Scott Rolen is every much a concern to the Reds as Puma is to the Cardinals. Lot of high ceilings but also a lot of variables within their rotation. Houston and Pittsburgh occupy their obvious slots.

Don't quit your day job Joe. Oh wait...

MODS: If there is TOO MUCH 2ND HAND MATERIAL feel free to TRIM IT DOWN to size. THANKS

redsmetz
01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Don't quit your day job Joe. Oh wait...

MODS: If there is TOO MUCH 2ND HAND MATERIAL feel free to TRIM IT DOWN to size. THANKS

I'm not terribly concerned with what he says about us

Cincinnati will see a regression to the mean by several of their big guns. Scott Rolen is every much a concern to the Reds as Puma is to the Cardinals. Lot of high ceilings but also a lot of variables within their rotation.

He makes some assumptions that aren't givens and his view of our pitching staff is consistent with what some here on RZ suggest could happen. I think he's overstating what the Cardinals can do, but that's my opinion, and I've learned to never underestimate what LaRussa and Duncan can get out of their players.

Frankly there's no reason the NL Central shouldn't be the most interesting division in all of baseball, even given the struggles of the Pirates & Astros.

top6
01-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Are you sure this is from a St. Louis paper, or is a letter from Chris Carpenter to his son trying to explain the upcoming MLB season?

RedsManRick
01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I like the "I’m not sold but am impressed by Marcum’s potential for a breakout." line.

Firstly, on what basis do you hold this belief? Secondly, the dude doesn't need to "breakout". Last year, pitching in the AL East, he put up a 3.64 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 3.8 K:BB ratio in 195 IP. He's already a stud. Though I imagine Mr. Strauss would point out that he only won 13 games. Must not have developed the "winner" skill yet.

marcshoe
01-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Joe Strauss: Many will lampoon this...

In a way, I'm heartened that he realizes this. It's a world better than this idea--that the Cards and Cubs are the class of the division--is a universal assumption.

To me, his biggest mistake is believing in the Cubs. I think they're in for more hard times.

Matt700wlw
01-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Maybe he'll be right. Maybe he's not...

The Pirates could win the NL Central which would mean 2012 IS the year the world ends. Stranger things have happened....

I'll take my chances with this young, VERY talented, and pitching stacked Reds team, and see where the chips fall.