PDA

View Full Version : do you have an American League team?

GADawg
01-20-2011, 11:43 PM
i've never been able to consistently maintain an interest in any team other than the Reds but I'm thinking what can it hurt to pick out an AL team to follow a little. I considered the Sox and the big donkey but then I'd be aligned with Ozzie...veto. I considered the Royals but outside of a very impressive bunch of young arms(that may or may not stay healthy)there rally isn't much going on there imo...veto. The Twins? still associate them with Hrbek...veto. The Yankees? too much drama. The Red Sox? too many bandwaggoners. The Rays? hey I don't wanna drive over that bridge either! veto.

I'm going all Baltimore Orioles this season...lots of young talent and lot's of confidence following last seasons second half.

Who might you adopt? lots of homeless AL teams ya know

dougdirt
01-20-2011, 11:45 PM
I am a big fan of the teams who I feel 'do it the way I like'. The Twins and Rays top that list.

kbrake
01-20-2011, 11:46 PM
I'll follow the White Sox more closely because of Adam Dunn but I can't imagine ever really caring about a team other than the Reds.

WVPacman
01-20-2011, 11:50 PM
My motto is you only suppose to have one team and thats how I have always been.The Cincinnati Reds are my only team.:beerme:

westofyou
01-20-2011, 11:53 PM
I use to be a Tiger fan, but that waned over the years, they were my first love so I have a special place for them... I follow the west coast teams in the later evening, mostly the Angels/Dodger/Giants.

Slyder
01-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Whoever is playing the Red Sox and Yankees. And if they are playing each other I will NOT watch ESPN at all that day. Otherwise I'll tune in if the games on and watch but I don't have a favorite although I was hoping the Rangers would win the world series this past year and loved them neutering the Yankees.

Razor Shines
01-21-2011, 12:06 AM
I became somewhat of a Yankee fan when Paul O'Neill was traded. Still kind of am. However I would probably align myself more with the Rangers for an AL team since I have moved down here and they have Hamilton.

camisadelgolf
01-21-2011, 12:12 AM
The Royals have been my favorite AL team for years. I like rooting for underdogs. If they become successful, I could see my allegiance changing.

TheNext44
01-21-2011, 12:22 AM
I could never root for a team that plays by made up, sissy pants rules. But if I had to, I would root for the Mariners, for obvious reasons.

kaldaniels
01-21-2011, 12:37 AM
No. Next question. :D

Captain Hook
01-21-2011, 12:38 AM
The Royals have been my favorite AL team for years. I like rooting for underdogs. If they become successful, I could see my allegiance changing.

Sounds like you just like rooting for bad teams.:p:

George Anderson
01-21-2011, 12:58 AM
I kinda follow the White Sox since they are close to Indy but I really like the way the Twins run their organization.

MartyFan
01-21-2011, 01:33 AM

Royals have always been my favorite AL team. I followed the DRays when they launched because I was living in the Tampa area but I lost interest in them.

Eric_the_Red
01-21-2011, 06:59 AM
I adopted the Red Sox as my AL team back when Nomar came up. Been with them ever since.

camisadelgolf
01-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Royals have always been my favorite AL team. I followed the DRays when they launched because I was living in the Tampa area but I lost interest in them.
That's the exact thing that happened to me. :thumbup:

Redsfan320
01-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Twins. Really like the team they got there. But my rooting interest in them isn't close to Reds, Bengals, or Colts. More like UC Football.

Always Red
01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Lived in Chicago for a while, and started following the ChiSox during the *gulp* Tony LaRussa era. I went to Old Comiskey Park a handful of times- that place reeked of old time baseball, and I loved it. Never made it to the new park, and from what I hear, I am not missing anything.

I lived about a mile north of Wrigley Field and went there many, many times, far more often than I went to Old Comiskey. It was during that time period that I developed my extreme distaste for Cubs fans.

edabbs44
01-21-2011, 09:03 AM
No. Next question. :D

Agree, though I have been a huge fan of the Non-Yankees for the last 15 or so years.

HokieRed
01-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Really don't care, in a serious way, about any team but the Reds. But I do pay a little attention to the A's. I like going to the games there: fun crowd, costs about a third as much as it does across the Bay, underrated ball park with lots of good seats and a nice gradual slope to it.

HeatherC1212
01-21-2011, 10:09 AM
I follow the Orioles and Angels when I'm not fretting over what's going on with the Reds. :D

RBA
01-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Angels.

RichRed
01-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Liked the Red Sox and Angels as a kid, but didn't really care that much if they lost. I liked the hitters: Rice, Lynn, Carew, etc.

Nowadays, I kind of root for the Twins. Found out some years ago that my grandfather, who I only got to meet once or twice, worked in the Twins' PR dept. many moons ago.

Ghosts of 1990
01-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Not really. I like the Braves aside from the Reds. I respect the way the braves run their organization. Other than that, it's reds or bust. I hate the Astros and Cardinals and Cubs though (I imagine I'm not alone).

Blitz Dorsey
01-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm not a big "I have a second-favorite team" guy. Whether it's baseball, football or basketball, I have one team I love and then it's everyone else. Of course there are teams I hate more than others, but I don't really have a "second-favorite" team in any sport. Other than the Reds, Bengals, Buckeyes and Chicago Bulls ... I just root for players on my fantasy teams ... or in the case of the NFL, I'll pull for players that played for Ohio State. For example, I'm rooting for the Jets this weekend just for the simple fact they have four Buckeyes on their squad (Santonio, Mangold, Gholston, Hartsock). Well, I should be honest. It's also because I hate the Steelers! Ha.

Chip R
01-22-2011, 01:25 PM
I've always had a soft spot for the Royals. First place I ever saw a MLB game and I used to listen them on the radio quite a bit when they were good back in the mid-late 70s.

Red in Chicago
01-22-2011, 04:41 PM
I enjoy going to ChiSox games, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. It's the Reds all the way for me. Thanks to DirecTv I get to see virtually every game on tv. I don't have enough time in the day to follow any others.

Jpup
01-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Yankees.

reds1869
01-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Yankees.

Un. Holy. :D

I have a soft spot for the Twins and Mariners, and still follow the Tribe a bit from when I lived in Cleveland. I wouldn't say I really support any of them per se, but I do like those AL teams better than the others.

RedsBaron
01-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I've been a Red Sox fan since early in the 1967 season. I rooted for them in that "Impossible Dream" season, which came to a terrific end when Boston defeated the Twins on the final day (and the Tigers lost to be eliminated). Years later Sports Illustrated "photo shopped" the celebration , which featured fans carrying Jim Lonborg off the field, using it on a story about "Cheers" to show fans carrying "Sam Malone" off the field.
A couple of years later I read Ted Williams's autobiography "My Turn At Bat."
Mind you, my loyalties were not in the least divided in 1975. I wanted the Reds to sweep the Bosox, and game seven of the 1975 World Series remains my fondest Reds memory, but I still liked a number of the players on the '75 Red Sox team.
While in law school I roomed with a guy from Boston in 1978 and watched the Bucky ******* Dent playoff game with him. I watched the Buckner 1986 World Series game. I watched Boston blow the 2003 ALCS. I watched the "idiots" defeat the Evil Empire in 2004.
I am a Reds fan, first and foremost, but the Red Sox are my favorite AL team.

blumj
01-23-2011, 09:10 AM
I didn't care even the littlest bit about baseball yet in '75, but I can guarantee you that the next time the Reds play the Red Sox in a World Series, you're not getting any help from me. Of course, I'm no help, anyway, so what's the difference?

I'm terribly disappointed every year the Sox don't play the Reds in Interleague, and I already miss the ST games. The Sox playing the Reds in random or meaningless games is about as much fun as it ever gets in my world.

The Voice of IH
01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
I love the Yankees, if the Reds aren't in it, I hope the Yankee's win it.

westofyou
01-23-2011, 02:45 PM
I love the Yankees, if the Reds aren't in it, I hope the Yankee's win it.

Even Darth Vader's mom loved him

RedsBaron
01-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Even Darth Vader's mom loved him

Yeah but Darth Vader just murdered countless people---he wasn't a YANKEE---I'm not sure even his mom could have overlooked and forgiven that! :D

muddie
01-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Detroit Tigers

Before the Reds affiliated themselves with the Mudcats, or vice versa, I was a Tigers fan. I've been to Fenway, Tiger Stadium, Atlanta, and Baltimore several times to see the Tigers. I've also been to spring training a couple of times to see them. They are definitely my AL team.

For the record, it was Sparky Anderson that got me interested in the Tigers.

mth123
01-23-2011, 04:42 PM
I love baseball and try to watch about any game that is on when the Reds aren't, but I generally only have a rooting interest in the Reds.

This year I might root for the White Sox a little. I'd like to Adam Dunn make a post season.

RedsBaron
01-23-2011, 06:06 PM
This year I might root for the White Sox a little. I'd like to Adam Dunn make a post season.

When the Reds are not in the post season I have often rooted for teams that have former Reds that I liked.

IslandRed
01-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Most of the AL chatter I hear is about the Rays, since I still know a lot of people in Florida. And since the Rays are probably in the worst situation in baseball -- same division as the Yankees and Red Sox, but in a smaller market and without as much as history as Baltimore or Toronto -- any success they have is a reminder that everything's not pre-ordained based on payroll. (Of course, that was more important before the Reds started doing something themselves.) But it's more a case of them having my sympathies than it is being an actual fan. I don't follow their results and moves on a daily basis.

kaldaniels
01-23-2011, 11:15 PM
As mentioned, no AL fandom coming from this guy...

But man, Mark Teixera's .256 BA, 3.5 WAR year really flew under the radar to me. It is so hard to get your money's worth from a 20MM a year contract.

Jpup
01-24-2011, 10:13 PM
As mentioned, no AL fandom coming from this guy...

But man, Mark Teixera's .256 BA, 3.5 WAR year really flew under the radar to me. It is so hard to get your money's worth from a 20MM a year contract.

very slow start last year. he'll be better this time around.

NC Reds
01-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Reds.

Accept no substitute. :D

Griffey012
01-24-2011, 11:13 PM
I usually pull for the White Sox out of the AL. Brother and many friends are Sox fans, and I enjoy anything that will irritate Cubs fans. The Sox winning will do that.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-24-2011, 11:54 PM
I've had a closet liking for the Indians since I was a kid. Kenny Lofton was actually my favorite player growing up. Those mid 90's Indians teams were just fun to watch.

Ron Madden
01-25-2011, 03:26 AM
I have rooted for the Red Sox the past 10-15 years because I dislike Yankee Fans so much. ;)

Mario-Rijo
01-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Not really, kind of root for different teams from afar but only here and there.

Love...
The Royals Uniforms and Kaufman Stadium
Fenway Park/Green Monster and from what I have seen in pictures the area surrounding the park/Yawkey Way.
The OF Backdrop of Camden Yards, brick warehouses behind a ballyard something neat about that.

Like....
The OF Museum in the old Yankee Stadium
Orioles Uniforms (if I haven't seen them in a while)
Jacobs Field at night (when it's rockin')
Anaheims stadium
Seattle's uni's and Field (it just looks so clean and svelt)

Admire/Admired....
Josh Hamilton
Roberto Alomar
Paul Molitor
Brooks Robinson
Cal Ripken
Cito Gaston
George Brett
Kirk Gibson
Trammel/Whitaker
Frank Thomas
Kenny Lofton

Remember vividly....
The late '80's A's especially Baines, Lansford, Stewart etc.
The 80's Twins (a group that makes one heck of a case for intangibles and defense)
The offensive talent on those good Blue Jays teams Alomar, White, Molitor, Carter etc.
80's Royals & Orioles
90's Tribe
late 90's M's
the pop of Juan Gone and Pudge and company.

But do I have a team? Nah not really but if I did I guess it would have to be the O's, the Royals or perhaps the Jays.

Caveman Techie
01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Well when I was a kid we lived for a little bit of time in Wisconsin and so I always had a soft spot in my heart for the Brewers. It about killed me when they switched to the NL Central. Since then I kind of follow the Twins

bucksfan
01-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Tigers in the AL due to living here in Toledo area and seeing their players come up with the Mud Hens. But they are a distant 2nd to the Reds, but I still have an interest in them. Started back when they called Travis Fryman up.

In the past I have followed the Expos and Red Sox, both occurrences spurred by their acquisitions of Tony Perez.

kpresidente
01-25-2011, 04:15 PM
I hate the Yankees.

Oh, wait, you said an American League team I like. OK, in that case, nevermind.

Spitball
01-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, I am from just north of Boston and my family is all from New England. I love the Red Sox.

When we were kids we used to play wiffleball everyday. No one was allowed to be the Red Sox and no one wanted to be an American League team out of loyalty. Ted would be the Giants. Bob would be the Braves. I would always be the Reds. We had to bat according to the lineup. I'd bat right for Tommy Harper, switch for Rose, left for Pinson, right for Robinson, left for Coleman, right for Deron Johnson, left for Edwards, right for Cardenas, and then the pitcher. I can (or used to) actually throw a nasty lefthanded wiffleball curve with my left hand.

The Reds were my personal team. We moved to Cincinnati (Indian Hill) when I was in junior high and my dad and I went to maybe 20 to 30 games a year for the two years we lived there. We moved back to Massachusetts when I was in 9th grade but the Reds were my team.

Mario-Rijo
01-27-2011, 04:14 AM
Not really, kind of root for different teams from afar but only here and there.

Love...
The Royals Uniforms and Kaufman Stadium
Fenway Park/Green Monster and from what I have seen in pictures the area surrounding the park/Yawkey Way.
The OF Backdrop of Camden Yards, brick warehouses behind a ballyard something neat about that.

Like....
The OF Museum in the old Yankee Stadium
Orioles Uniforms (if I haven't seen them in a while)
Jacobs Field at night (when it's rockin')
Anaheims stadium
Seattle's uni's and Field (it just looks so clean and svelt)

Admire/Admired....
Josh Hamilton
Roberto Alomar
Paul Molitor
Brooks Robinson
Cal Ripken
Cito Gaston
George Brett
Kirk Gibson
Trammel/Whitaker
Frank Thomas
Kenny Lofton
Tom Kelly & Ron Gardenhire

Remember vividly....
The late '80's A's especially Baines, Lansford, Stewart etc.
The 80's Twins (a group that makes one heck of a case for intangibles and defense)
The offensive talent on those good Blue Jays teams Alomar, White, Molitor, Carter etc.
80's Royals & Orioles
90's Tribe
late 90's M's
the pop of Juan Gone and Pudge and company.

But do I have a team? Nah not really but if I did I guess it would have to be the O's, the Royals or perhaps the Jays.

There fixed that for myself. :cool:

Mario-Rijo
01-27-2011, 04:16 AM
Well, I am from just north of Boston and my family is all from New England. I love the Red Sox.

When we were kids we used to play wiffleball everyday. No one was allowed to be the Red Sox and no one wanted to be an American League team out of loyalty. Ted would be the Giants. Bob would be the Braves. I would always be the Reds. We had to bat according to the lineup. I'd bat right for Tommy Harper, switch for Rose, left for Pinson, right for Robinson, left for Coleman, right for Deron Johnson, left for Edwards, right for Cardenas, and then the pitcher. I can (or used to) actually throw a nasty lefthanded wiffleball curve with my left hand.

The Reds were my personal team. We moved to Cincinnati (Indian Hill) when I was in junior high and my dad and I went to maybe 20 to 30 games a year for the two years we lived there. We moved back to Massachusetts when I was in 9th grade but the Reds were my team.

And your choice for a moniker was Spitball? ;)

OldRightHander
01-27-2011, 01:19 PM
The Reds are the only team I would consider myself a fan of, but I will root for other teams based on situations. If it's the post season and the Reds are not a factor, I'll start pulling for teams that have never won it or have a manager or player I respect, etc.