PDA

View Full Version : RedsZoner's baseball exploits

UPRedsFan
01-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Lots of knowledge on here. Curious how many of us have actually played.

Just for fun, let's share baseball exploits:

1. Highest level of organized baseball played?

for me, highschool (the dream ended when I failed to make my college team as a walk-on)

2. What position(s)? I played SS and pitched

3. Highlight of playing career?

I won the "most valuable defensive player" award for my high school team

Plus I hit my only over the fence homerun as a 12 yr old - never hit another one again. (I was strictly a defensive player, no stick!)

MikeThierry
01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
UPRedsFn, does this include fake characters you created on MLB the Show? If you do, I won 7 MVP's straight, broke the HR record with just being in the league 8 years, and have a .501 career average.

In all seriousness, I only played little league lol. I still have a strong arm but not good enough to pitch and hitting is like trying to figured out the Pythagorean Theorem.

Eric the Red
01-21-2011, 08:25 PM
1. High School
2. SS, 1B, P
3. Hurling a no-hitter as a 13 year old in Knothole

Reds
01-21-2011, 10:33 PM
1) hs
2) mainly 2nd b.
3) 7-7 in a doubleheader on my birthday in the snow (i was probably a .200 hitter)

Quatitos
01-21-2011, 11:20 PM
1) High School
2) 2b, CF, and RF, speed and a good arm, my bat didn't do much in highschool
3) walk off straight steal of home, I miss base running the most

mattfeet
01-21-2011, 11:46 PM
1 - HS...had invites to 1 D2 school and 2 D3 schools. Tore my rotator cuff and had to have reconstruction. Never was able to make it back. :(
2 - RF/CF/1B
3 - Game winning hit in bottom of 21 inning playoff game. Also had highest AVG on my high school team that anyone had over previous 10 years (.495)

I miss it. :(

-Matt

webbbj
01-22-2011, 12:08 AM
i like to consider myself a pretty good wiffle ball player

UPRedsFan
01-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Are there any former college players or anyone who played professionally on here?

Driver62
01-23-2011, 02:05 PM
1. Semi-Pro
2. 3B, SS, 1B and outfield
3. Throwing two runners out at the plate in the same game while playing left field in high school

Kingspoint
01-23-2011, 05:11 PM
I played on God's team.

But, that was during a dream.

bounty37h
01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
College ball for one partial year (walked on after missing most of senior HS year with torn ligaments in my catching hand).
One year semi pro ball (thats what they called it, seemed like good adult league-mostly college/just finished players), one year adult wood bat league.
Catcher, I was a good defensive catcher, not much of a bat, lot of speed for a catcher.
Making unanimous All State as starting catcher over Barry Foote's (sp?) son who was drafted by the Braves 2 years later. Set conference record for stoeln bases. Once had 2 assists in a game on putouts at first as a catcher. Tore my rotator 4th game into my semipro season.

Captain13
01-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Babe Ruth
1B and OF
Made LL All-star team
My dream ended when pithces started curving.

New York Red
01-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Played first base in high school.

Played P, 3B and 1B in Little League thru Babe Ruth.

Career highlight would probably be the Babe Ruth All-Star tournament when I was 15. I went 3-3 against Mickey Martin, including a monster home run to center field in a game played at Shillito Park in Lexington. That was probably the furthest I ever hit a baseball.

Cant Touch This
01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
1) Amateur / Semi pro
2) Middle infield through HS, then LF after
3a) Hard to isolate a favorite highlight. The stat I remember most is that in my senior year in HS, I struck out only 4 times all season, and didn't whiff at all until game 12. (I struck out looking twice in one game against C.A.P.E. who threw a lefty that kept painting the outside corner.)
3b) After my youth playing career was over, I played in adult rec leagues. One summer in Las Vegas, the other team put a MLB pitcher on the mound (he was not on anyone's active roster at the time, but ended up pitching for the Tigers later that summer.) His name is Vic Darrensbourg, a lefty who debuted with the Marlins in 1998 and actually had a damn good rookie year. After that, he was nothing special, but still got a decent number of innings. At any rate, it was in the summer of 2005 when I faced Vic who up until that point had dominated our team. I was 34 years old, using a wooden bat, and am a left-handed hitter going against a southpaw who's known more for is pinpoint accuracy and junk rather than sizzling heat.

In my only appearance against Vic, I reached out and touched a low and outside breaking ball and looped it over their leaping shortstop into left-center for a hit. So, I am proud to say that my career batting average against major league pitching is 1.000 :)

Hot damn I love baseball.

New York Red
01-24-2011, 04:41 PM
So, I am proud to say that my career batting average against major league pitching is 1.000 :)
LOL ... nice. That has to be some kind of unofficial record, eh? Or at least that's what I'd be telling my children, grandchildren, friends, etc.

:beerme:

Cant Touch This
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
LOL ... nice. That has to be some kind of unofficial record, eh? Or at least that's what I'd be telling my children, grandchildren, friends, etc.

:beerme:

Well, by the time my grandchildren hear this tale (and I hope that's at least 12-15 years away), Vic Darrensbourg will have featured a 96-MPH fastball and earned enough votes for third place for the Cy Young award one year.

MBZags
01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
1. High school

2. P, SS, 3B

3. I pitched a one-hitter in high school with 1 BB and 11K (first batter of the game hit a single up the middle). Oddly enough, I had 3 innings where I struck out the side and only 2 other K's besides that. From the first inning to the third, I retired seven straight batters, all on strike outs. It was such an amazing experience for me; I miss playing so much.

powersackers
01-25-2011, 01:12 AM
1) 9th Grade MS, Summer Ball through 12th grade
2) CF
3) Hitting 2 HR's in one game vs. same LHP that I hit my first one off of a few games prior. The only 3 out of the park home runs I ever hit. Dad retrieving the ball and giving it to me after the game. Fence was 270 feet or so to left center where I hit them.

PhatHead
01-25-2011, 07:48 AM
I've not played organized baseball at any level. By the time I was interested in ball in high school, it was third on the list behind girls and beer. :beerme:

Girevik
01-25-2011, 09:14 AM
I hope to live vicariously through my kids. Unfortunately, they've probably inherited my athletic ability.

Jefferson24
01-25-2011, 10:02 AM
HS, played CF and RF

Career Highlight - Started a playoff game as a freshman.

Tore my rotator cuff 2nd year of HS ball, didn't have it operated on. When it healed I would have pain after just a few throws. Never played ball again.

Now my son's a freshman in HS and he's a much better player than I was.

bounty37h
01-25-2011, 10:06 AM
I've not played organized baseball at any level. By the time I was interested in ball in high school, it was third on the list behind girls and beer. :beerme:

Haha, my dad still says those 2 things are why he isnt watching me play ball now.

UPRedsFan
01-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Great stories guys. These are fun to read.

Could someone post this over on Old Red to see more comments?

Interesting how many of us really miss playing. I often wonder how many major leaguers realize how fortunate they are to be playing the game we all fell in love with as kids.

Vottomatic
01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
i like to consider myself a pretty good wiffle ball player

Me too.

Actually, I really was in my prime. :D

The pitches you could throw with a wiffle ball were unbelievable.

bounty37h
01-25-2011, 11:56 AM
^I went to Johnny Benchs HOF induction as a high school sophomore, camped out on the street in Cooperstown the night before. One of the coolest things was playing whiffle ball in the streeets with complete strangers all night-almost literally all night.