PDA

View Full Version : Rays sign Manny and Damon

Redsfan320
01-21-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/rays-agree-to-terms-with-johnny-damon-manny-ramirez.html

Looks like Damon will be back in the outfield some more.

The Operator
01-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Wow.... I did not see that coming. Interesting.

Spitball
01-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Whew! The Rays lose some big names but buy some time for their limited following by getting some high profile guys while they nurture their next batch of prospects. A very interesting strategy, but it might feed their developing fan base while they regroup.

OnBaseMachine
01-22-2011, 12:33 AM
I know the Rays lost some big talent in Crawford, Garza, and Pena but they are still going to win 90+ games this season, IMO. Jeremy Hellickson is good enough to make the Rays forget about Garza, and Desmond Jennings is a stud in the OF, and I still think Manny has something left in the tank.

Matt700wlw
01-22-2011, 12:39 AM
The little Rays making big moves!

Nice!

Screwball
01-22-2011, 01:34 AM
Anybody else have the Yankees finishing 3rd next season? 4th?

The Operator
01-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Anybody else have the Yankees finishing 3rd next season? 4th?I never like to count The Yanks out because they're patently evil and you can't write them off, but the AL East is going to a fun division to watch play out. That's for sure.

Danny Serafini
01-22-2011, 03:25 AM

3rd would be a surprise, 4th is downright impossible.

Jpup
01-22-2011, 06:03 AM

First or second.

edabbs44
01-22-2011, 07:42 AM

If Andy doesnt come back they have huge, huge problems.

redsfandan
01-22-2011, 08:47 AM
First or second.

2nd. I doubt there'll be many that won't pick Boston to win that division.

Sea Ray
01-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Manny for only $2mill surprises me. That's an $18mill cut from one yr to the next. Is that some kind of record?

Redsfan320
01-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Manny for only $2mill surprises me. That's an $18mill cut from one yr to the next. Is that some kind of record?

Just a second! Aren't there MLB rules that a players's pay can only be a minimum of 80% of what it was last year, or something like that??

jojo
01-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Just a second! Aren't there MLB rules that a players's pay can only be a minimum of 80% of what it was last year, or something like that??

Free agency is a double edged sword. Oh and getting older sucks.

RedFanAlways1966
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Free agency is a double edged sword. Oh and getting older sucks.

Especially getting old with the reputation of quitting on your LA Dodgers team.

paulrichjr
01-22-2011, 12:17 PM

You're talking arbitration....not free agency

oneupper
01-22-2011, 12:17 PM

I think that's arbitration.

Redsfan320
01-22-2011, 12:20 PM
You're talking arbitration....not free agency

I think that's arbitration.

Ah. Thanks for the answers, guys.

Scrap Irony
01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
If Pettite doesn't come back, they're short at least one starter and a DH. Andruw Jones as a part-time LFer/ DH isn't a bad move, per se, but not something the Yankees normally do. Too, Joba Chamberlain, and Jesus Montero will have to grow up if they want to compete with both Tampa and Boston.

mth123
01-22-2011, 01:17 PM
If Pettite doesn't come back, they're short at least one starter and a DH. Andruw Jones as a part-time LFer/ DH isn't a bad move, per se, but not something the Yankees normally do. Too, Joba Chamberlain, and Jesus Montero will have to grow up if they want to compete with both Tampa and Boston.

Posada will DH and Montero may end up there. They just need to stay in the hunt and then they'll pick-up a starter. I think the Yankees are not in as bad a place as eveyone is making it out to be. They have their offense. They have their ace. They have a pretty good number two. They have a formerly highly regarded guy who could bounce back and some kids who might have as much potential as some of the kids that the Reds a running out there that everyone is so high on. They have plenty of money and some kids to deal. They'll fill the rotation if the guys on board falter. They have an ace, an up and coming ace and a formerly highly regarded ace in the making. If they need help, they will just need a mid-rotation vet and those will be out there.

Chip R
01-22-2011, 02:17 PM

That's just from the same team and only covers - as the others have said - players eligible for arbitration, players offered arbitration and pre-arbitration eligible players.

redsmetz
01-22-2011, 03:37 PM

That's only for players who are tendered contracts from the club, still under their control. It's why sometimes clubs will release players, making them FA's, to sign them for less than that set amount.

cincinnati chili
01-22-2011, 08:10 PM
2nd. I doubt there'll be many that won't pick Boston to win that division.

I think Boston is the favorite but barely. I hate the Carl Crawford signing, and think he'll go down as the biggest free agent failure in Boston history, but I suspect that'll catch up to them in a couple years rather than this year.

Joseph
01-22-2011, 08:42 PM

I think that only applies to renewing a contract. Free agency is just that, free agency. He's capable of getting whatever anyone wants to pay him.

Jpup
01-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Look at Tampa's bullpen. They lost Soriano, Benoit, Balfour, and Wheeler. Gonna be tough sleddin'.

Sea Ray
01-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Oh you mean like the rule that requires you offer arbitration and you can't be sent to the minors? Sure there are all kinds of silly rules but unrestricted free agency is what it says it is

buckeyenut
01-23-2011, 03:17 PM
I would have loved to get Manny for 5M. 2M is an absolute steal. Great for TB

bucksfan2
01-24-2011, 09:50 AM
I know the Rays lost some big talent in Crawford, Garza, and Pena but they are still going to win 90+ games this season, IMO. Jeremy Hellickson is good enough to make the Rays forget about Garza, and Desmond Jennings is a stud in the OF, and I still think Manny has something left in the tank.

I think the Rays finish a distant 3rd to the Sox and Yankees. Hellickson looked very good in his brief stint in the majors last year but how long will that continue? What happens when the league gets a read on him? Prospects are prospects. Jennings may look like a stud but who knows how he will produce when push comes to shove.

They look like they are building for 2012 or 2013 but next season will be tough on them. Especially with the Sox adding Crawford and Gonzales. And while the Yankees have some rotation issues their offense and bull pen should be top notch.

mth123
01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I might be in the minority, but I don't think the Rays are that much worse off than last season. Manny is probably an upgrade from Pena and Dan Johnson or Matt Joyce will be an upgrade from Willy Aybar. Losing Crawford hurts, but at the top of the line-up I think Damon will be more than adequate. Brignac might just be an upgrade from Bartlett and I think that Robinson Chirinois will help out on offense and behind the plate.

Losing the bullpen hurts, but I think they've got a few guys who could step up with JP Howell coming back and Jake McGee might be the guy. I also think Adam Russell is a sleeper as a set-up option. Picking up a guy here or there to fill in might not be as tough as we think (the Reds should make Burton available for some of that talent in their system - Alex Torres would be a nice pick-up). Losing Garza hurts the most IMO, but Hellickson should be pretty good and David Price and Wade Davis provide as good a top two as any team in the AL.

kaldaniels
01-24-2011, 06:59 PM
I think the Rays finish a distant 3rd to the Sox and Yankees. Hellickson looked very good in his brief stint in the majors last year but how long will that continue? What happens when the league gets a read on him? Prospects are prospects. Jennings may look like a stud but who knows how he will produce when push comes to shove.

They look like they are building for 2012 or 2013 but next season will be tough on them. Especially with the Sox adding Crawford and Gonzales. And while the Yankees have some rotation issues their offense and bull pen should be top notch.

While I and many on here hold the Rays in high regard in terms of how they have built their team, I agree. Gonna be a tough season for Tampa.

Scrap Irony
01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Love the Rays' moves, as they've followed conventional sabermetric thinking to the nth degree, IMO.

Allowing Crawford to go in favor of Damon and Ramirez is interesting, IMO. The duo of Damon and Ramirez is likely to create more WAR than that of the Tampa DH and LF last season. (I like Ramirez to OPS north of 850 as a part-time DH and LF and Damon to hit 2.5 WAR as mostly a LF with little time in CF and at DH.) Brignac is already a better player than Bartlett, the man he essentially replaces. Zobrist should be better than last season, and, if he's not, Joyce and/or Jennings could replace him. Same with Upton in CF. Dan Johnson should match Carlos Pena from last season; if he doesn't, there are other options there as well.

The starting pitching should be much better as well.

The only question is the bullpen. It could be good (Perralta had a phenomenal season in 2010, Howell looks promising, as do about 20 arms in the Ray pipeline.)

I really think the Yankees need to overachieve to place above third. That rotation behind Sabathia is questionable.

Homer Bailey
01-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Allowing Crawford to go in favor of Damon and Ramirez is interesting, IMO. The duo of Damon and Ramirez is likely to create more WAR than that of the Tampa DH and LF last season. (I like Ramirez to OPS north of 850 as a part-time DH and LF and Damon to hit 2.5 WAR as mostly a LF with little time in CF and at DH.)

I'd have a hard time seeing Damon and Ramirez combining to match just Crawford's WAR from last year ($6.9M), much less that of LF and DH combined. Just me thought. For the Rays, letting Crawford go and making this replacement is obviously the best move for their payroll restrictions.

Scrap Irony
01-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Tampa DHs had negative value. (-.4 WAR)

Homer Bailey
01-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Tampa DHs had negative value. (-.4 WAR)

Wow. Don't see that every day.

I'd still be surprised to see Damon/Man-Ram put up a WAR greater than 6.5. I would not be surprised to see them put up a WAR greater than Crawford in 2011 though.

blumj
01-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Wow. Don't see that every day.

I'd still be surprised to see Damon/Man-Ram put up a WAR greater than 6.5. I would not be surprised to see them put up a WAR greater than Crawford in 2011 though.
Actually, a handful of AL teams somehow manage to avoid getting anything useful out of the DH spot every year. You wouldn't think it would be that hard, but some teams almost intentionally waste it by choosing to use the DH to rest regulars and wind up giving the extra ABs to backups who don't hit well enough to be starters, and other teams, like the Rays, sign a guy who just doesn't work out and never manage to find a better replacement as the season goes along.