PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce generosity knows no bounds

OnBaseMachine
01-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Great article by Daugherty on the generosity of Jay Bruce, who will be dedicating a field to Brian Wilson, the Reds scout who signed him and passed away a year later at the age of 33. Jay Bruce is a special person. Everything I've ever read about him backs that up. I hope he's a lifetime Red.

Bruce won’t stop there. He’s taking over for Aaron Harang in the free-ticket business. He will maintain Aaron’s Aces, Harang’s ticket giveaway to military families. He will add a second ticket program, for families of special needs kids, to honor his 28-year-old sister Kellan. Kellan Bruce was born with her umbilical cord wrapped twice around her neck. The initial loss of oxygen left her mentally disabled

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110121/COL03/301210052/Jay-Bruce-generosity-knows-no-bounds

And I know we all get frustrated with Cordero around here but check out the little tidbit on him.

BoydsOfSummer
01-21-2011, 10:14 PM
He's a great kid and already a heck of a major leaguer. I'm glad he'll be around for awhile. Good to see him pick up Arron's Aces from another good sport in Harang.

Ron Madden
01-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for sharing the link OBM. :thumbup:

lollipopcurve
01-22-2011, 08:27 AM
And I know we all get frustrated with Cordero around here but check out the little tidbit on him.

Indeed. Could be the first fans have heard about it.

Deepred05
01-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Humble kid. I hope he is Red for life.

Edd Roush
01-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Humble kid. I hope he is Red for life.

Agreed, great article and Jay Bruce is a class act.

I hate to be the Debby Downer of this thread, but when writing a feel-good article like this with very little facts can Daugherty at least get the easy ones right? Class A Billings, really?

redsmetz
01-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Agreed, great article and Jay Bruce is a class act.

I hate to be the Debby Downer of this thread, but when writing a feel-good article like this with very little facts can Daugherty at least get the easy ones right? Class A Billings, really?

I'm willing to overlook a small misstatement. In fact, Wilson did get as far as High A (Winston-Salem) with stops in Billings (start) and Charleston (mid and finish). He appears to have just crossed the clubs.

reds1869
01-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Bruce is a very generous person and a heck of a ballplayer. It is great to see someone like him helping others.

muddie
01-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Stories like this allow you to see the person beyond just statistics. Bruce is a guy you want to pull for.

Ghosts of 1990
01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
A very good person who is a regular guy and also happens to be good at baseball.