PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips in a White Sox hat?

big boy
01-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Why would a member of the Reds be wearing another team's hat?

Check it out here (http://m.plixi.com/p/72030226).

mattfeet
01-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Because for some people, hats are a fashion accessory, and are used accordingly. A lot of people think of hats as no different than a properly colored belt or shoes. Is it a bit weirder since he's a professional athlete? Maybe...but I dont have a problem with it.

-Matt

big boy
01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Because for some people, hats are a fashion accessory, and are used accordingly. A lot of people think of hats as no different than a properly colored belt or shoes. Is it a bit weirder since he's a professional athlete? Maybe...but I dont have a problem with it.

-Matt

Would you be ok if a Reds player wore a Cardinals hat to and from Reds games?

DocRed
01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
same....not a big deal to me. It's not like he is wearing a Cardinals hat or something.

K30
01-23-2011, 10:48 PM
i dont see the big deal in it? hes wearing it to match his outfit which also happens to be black/white. and its not to/from a game.

code
01-23-2011, 10:48 PM
maybe it's a way to hide his identity somewhat while he is out in public. :confused:

bengalsown
01-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Maybe it's his favorite American League team?

Who cares?

mattfeet
01-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Would you be ok if a Reds player wore a Cardinals hat to and from Reds games?

Well, if he were wearing a hat to match his outfit, a Reds hat would also work in that scenario.......

mattfeet
01-23-2011, 11:11 PM
maybe it's a way to hide his identity somewhat while he is out in public. :confused:

Quit being logical. No room for that in here.

01-23-2011, 11:14 PM
From his Twitter account:

http://twitter.com/#!/DatDudeBP

@DatDudeBP
Brandon Phillips
I love wearing hats! Just cause I wear different teams DURING THE OFFSEASON doesn't mean I don't love my RedLegs! Ya'll can stop that now!!!

PeteRoseBelongs
01-23-2011, 11:23 PM
maybe its just because Phillips is a little punk

Reds
01-23-2011, 11:31 PM
I don't like it. Go play for them if you want to wear their gear.

webbbj
01-24-2011, 12:00 AM
people like to overreact to something that means nothing.

JayBruceFan
01-24-2011, 12:23 AM
I keep expecting to see a post saying "Get off my lawn"

PhatHead
01-24-2011, 09:39 AM
I keep expecting to see a post saying "Get off my lawn"

..... damn teenagers.... :)

PeteRoseBelongs
01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
people like to overreact to something that means nothing.

If you were employeed by Starbucks you would walk around wearing a Panera Bread uniform. At the end of the day it does mean something. Yes it is trivial but the guy is employeed by the Cincinnati Reds.

Brandon if you like the way the hat looks on you please go to Walt and tell him that you want to facilitate a deal to the Sox. I am sure they would like to have you.

This is just another example of Brandon being ignorant.

schmidty622
01-24-2011, 10:56 AM
If you were employeed by Starbucks you would walk around wearing a Panera Bread uniform. At the end of the day it does mean something. Yes it is trivial but the guy is employeed by the Cincinnati Reds.

Brandon if you like the way the hat looks on you please go to Walt and tell him that you want to facilitate a deal to the Sox. I am sure they would like to have you.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WzC9ND5G0Ps/SKiiWSNknfI/AAAAAAAAAvw/hgdR4rQif3s/s400/grandpa.jpg

mattfeet
01-24-2011, 11:07 AM

:rolleyes:

bounty37h
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
From his Twitter account:

http://twitter.com/#!/DatDudeBP

Good 'nough for me, I dont see an issue.

bounty37h
01-24-2011, 11:28 AM
maybe its just because Phillips is a little punk

Never mind, not worth it.

Quatitos
01-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Ignore the fact that no one would choose to walk around in a starbucks or panera uniform if they could help it. Heres a better example, do you think people that work at a company like GM don't drive Ford, Toyota, Honda, or other car brands? (Hint: They do) Like Brandon said, its the offseason and it honestly doesn't matter much what he wears since he is not at a Reds event.

Think of it this way, it probably would piss off Cub fans if they saw him wearing that hat :D

Oxblood
01-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't like it. Go play for them if you want to wear their gear.

This. Go buy an NFL hat or something, he knew this would be a big deal. Baseball fans take this type of stuff serious.

bounty37h
01-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Im a huge fan and dont care one way or the other. If he was wearing a Cubs, Phils or Cards hat it might be a diffferent story.

Stray
01-24-2011, 02:46 PM
He plays hard for us, is great with the fans, and by all accounts loves this city and team. I could care less what he wears. It's strange anyone would care.

Mutaman
01-24-2011, 07:59 PM
This. Go buy an NFL hat or something, he knew this would be a big deal. Baseball fans take this type of stuff serious.

No, some baseball fans, with nothing better to complain about, take this type of stuff serious.

If this were any other Red, this would not be an issue. You get my drift?

kfm
01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
So if there were a picture of Joey Votto wearing any type of Blue Jay attire, would the angry people feel the same way. Man this offseason needs to end so some of the fans can at least complain about baseball related things that don't matter.

mlh1981
01-24-2011, 10:13 PM
He's sticking it to the Indians :D

RedsLvr
01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Wow, I'll make sure to toss out my $50 New Era caps that doesn't have a Reds logo on it. I just don't want to be looked at as a traitor by the sports gods of the Sun Deck.

Oxblood
01-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Surpised to see so many fans lax on loyalty.

SeeinRed
01-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Surpised to see so many fans lax on loyalty.

How was Phillips disloyal to the Reds? If you actually read what he puts on twitter you can tell how loyal he actually is. He's said many times that he wanted to play for the Reds when he was younger because he was a huge Larkin fan. Its absolutely rediculous to say Phillips is not loyal because he wore a Whitesox hat, and it absolutely doesn't mean he wants to play for another team. I'm sure he has plenty of friends on other teams that he likes to support when he isn't playing against them. Any negative reaction is absolutely unfounded.

defender
01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
It is very easy to say to the fans who are complaining, that it is no big deal. Get over it. It would also be very easy for BP not to wear a White Sox hat. The fact that it is no big deal what hat you wear, is reason enough, that BP should just avoid wearing other MLB hats.

DirtyBaker
01-25-2011, 03:35 PM
I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but there's nothing to this. He makes millions and he likes baseball. He probably has hundreds of hats, jerseys, and other teams memorabilia...probably some of teams we don't like.

The only team hat that would raise some concern is a Cardinals hat. Judging by what he said about them last year, I'd be concerned that he hit his head hard and was suffering from amnesia.

bounty37h
01-25-2011, 05:06 PM
It is very easy to say to the fans who are complaining, that it is no big deal. Get over it. It would also be very easy for BP not to wear a White Sox hat. The fact that it is no big deal what hat you wear, is reason enough, that BP should just avoid wearing other MLB hats.

That sir may be the dumbest argument I have ever heard.

fielder's choice
01-26-2011, 12:40 PM
God people are stupid

bounty37h
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Fielders, curious if you got a PM from anyone in response to your post?

PeteRoseBelongs
01-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Wow, I'll make sure to toss out my $50 New Era caps that doesn't have a Reds logo on it. I just don't want to be looked at as a traitor by the sports gods of the Sun Deck.

only difference between you and Phillips is that everyone knows who he is and nobody knows who you are

Quatitos
01-26-2011, 07:41 PM
only difference between you and Phillips is that everyone knows who he is and nobody knows who you are
And nobody knows who you are either so what is your point? And people know that Phillips loves playing for the Reds so his loyalty to them should not be questioned for wearing another teams hat (who we have no rivalry with at all).

Oxblood
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
And nobody knows who you are either so what is your point?

Pretty sure his point is that one gets paid millions by this franchise and one doesn't.

If BP is going to wear any MLB Paraphernalia it should be of the team that employs him. Is that too much to ask?

Quatitos
01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Pretty sure his point is that one gets paid millions by this franchise and one doesn't.

If BP is going to wear any MLB Paraphernalia it should be of the team that employs him. Is that too much to ask?

Yes, he can wear whatever he feels like. Do you only wear clothing with the logo of your employer on it?

My parents work as engineers for Detroit Edison, and through dealing with people from other utilities they get shirts and hats with the other company's logos on it, and they wear those to work and there is no problem with that. I'm sure players have the same kind of thing happen with swapping of gear and such.

I had an internship last summer working for GM, and people there don't all drive GM cars. When they go somewhere on company business where the public will see them they drive a GM car, but on their own personal time they can drive whatever they want. Brandon was not at a Reds event, he was down in Athens, Georgia at his sister's basketball game. Its his own personal time so he can do and wear whatever he wants.

indyredleg
01-30-2011, 11:39 AM
As long as he shows up and plays his guts out, I could care less.

lonewolf371
01-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, he can wear whatever he feels like. Do you only wear clothing with the logo of your employer on it?

My parents work as engineers for Detroit Edison, and through dealing with people from other utilities they get shirts and hats with the other company's logos on it, and they wear those to work and there is no problem with that. I'm sure players have the same kind of thing happen with swapping of gear and such.

I had an internship last summer working for GM, and people there don't all drive GM cars. When they go somewhere on company business where the public will see them they drive a GM car, but on their own personal time they can drive whatever they want. Brandon was not at a Reds event, he was down in Athens, Georgia at his sister's basketball game. Its his own personal time so he can do and wear whatever he wants.
Amen. I go to Purdue and will sometimes wear UF clothing. Why do I have UF clothing? Because I almost went there. Why do I wear it? Because I'm working out and I don't want to get my Purdue stuff nasty!

People can wear whatever they want. Fashion police should calm down.

RedsFanInBama
01-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Am I the only one that sees irony in the fact that the guy ripping Phillips for his lack of professionalism has a user name of PeteRoseBelongs?

goreds2
01-30-2011, 03:45 PM
I have no problem him wearing the hat as long as it is in the off-season. It is just for fashion.

Not during the Reds Caravan though. ;)

Quatitos
01-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Am I the only one that sees irony in the fact that the guy ripping Phillips for his lack of professionalism has a user name of PeteRoseBelongs?

That is pretty funny :)

bounty37h
01-31-2011, 10:42 AM

I did see that too and started to comment, but I didn't want to get in trouble again.

Oxblood
01-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Amen. I go to Purdue and will sometimes wear UF clothing. Why do I have UF clothing? Because I almost went there. Why do I wear it? Because I'm working out and I don't want to get my Purdue stuff nasty!

People can wear whatever they want. Fashion police should calm down.

How much is the great Purdue University paying you to attend?

Vottomatic
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
As long as he shows up and plays his guts out, I could care less.

:beerme:

Swampturkey
02-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I remember back in 2006, Angels fans were up in arms over the fact that Jerred Weaver was wearing a Cardinals hat during the World Series. They seemed to ignore the fact that his big brother was on the mound trying to win the Championship game and he was just supporting him.

Brutus
02-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Guys (and gals) please try to best as possible keep the discussion flowing on the subject itself and not about any particular posters.

Thanks all!

texasdave
02-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Anyone remember when in the aftermath of a Reds-Mets brawl Pedro Borbon accidentally put on a Mets cap? When he discovered the mistake he took the cap off and ripped it apart with his teeth. Classic.

Quatitos
02-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Anyone remember when in the aftermath of a Reds-Mets brawl Pedro Borbon accidentally put on a Mets cap? When he discovered the mistake he took the cap off and ripped it apart with his teeth. Classic.

If you could find a video of that it would be awesome.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-05-2011, 10:26 PM
I have no problem him wearing the hat as long as it is in the off-season. It is just for fashion.

Not during the Reds Caravan though. ;)

I almost asked him about it the other day but was affraid he'd get up and walk out of the interview. I did ask him who Cleveland missed more, him or LBJ. He took the high road and talked about how good James is. Was really hoping for something a little more cocky. He did seem like he was in a really bad mood though. One guy told me that he asked him if he would be signing long term with the Reds and he said something like "probably not". Later on Brandon was sitting with Bob Miller and as the guy walked by he asked him to tell Bob what he asked him earlier. The guy told Bob that he drives 2 hours 20 times a year just to see BP play. Bp looked at Bob and said "see". Not sure what him and Bob's relationship is, maybe it was fooling, but like I said before he seemed like he was in a real bad mood.

huber14
02-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Just think of it like this. We all payed for him to buy/wear the hat. We take our money and spend it on Reds tickets, apparel etc., they give it to him (his source of income from us) and he buys the hat and flaunts it off. We are all suckers haha

Girevik
02-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Just think of it like this. We all payed for him to buy/wear the hat. We take our money and spend it on Reds tickets, apparel etc., they give it to him (his source of income from us) and he buys the hat and flaunts it off. We are all suckers haha

So you're saying that not just your employer, but your employer's CUSTOMERS should have say over what you wear on a daily basis?

bounty37h
02-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Now that I look at it that way, I still dont care.

Cuban_Missile
02-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Not that Brandon ever does anything like what the person I am going to talk about did but here is a scenario.... Chris Henry (R.I.P) was caught waving a gun around in Florida during the off season which is what started his crime wave if you will. Guess what he was wearing? HIS OWN BENGALS JERSEY!!! How stupid could you be to show up to a bar in your own jersey and then get into trouble in it?

I bet he wasn't looking for trouble that day and he was still a young guy and thought hey i'll get some attention in my jersey that will be fun. But he still got into trouble that day and made the Bengals look foolish yet again.

Again Brandon Phillips has yet to do anything like this and I doubt he will start now but the hat is a great way to hide his identity out in public and if something were to happen where he was in a bad spot he wouldn't be wearing our gear thus not making our team look bad. And like some of you others have said if he was wearing a Cardinals, Cubs, Brewers, Pirates, or Houston hat I could see it being a problem but since it was a SOX hat and it matched his attire and it was well into the off season and he loves playing in Cincy let it go people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quatitos
02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
http://c0013639.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_4872e45 (http://plixi.com/p/75968069)
There ya go, Phillips is getting down to work and is sporting some Reds gear.

BigPoppa
02-09-2011, 06:49 PM
He plays hard for us, is great with the fans, and by all accounts loves this city and team. I could care less what he wears. It's strange anyone would care.

This

If this were any other Red, this would not be an issue.

and really this

Oxblood
02-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Why wouldn't it be an issue if it was a different Red? I disagree.

David Cubbedge
02-09-2011, 07:41 PM
I would have a huge problem with it even if it were Fred Lewis!

David Cubbedge
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Brandon must not have heard of Lids...
http://www.lids.com/pop/product_images.html?pid=20017543

bshall2105
02-10-2011, 02:26 AM
Sorry that this is a little late, but Brandon Phillips is now my least favorite player, he needs to be traded, I have even thrown out all of my autographs of his.
However, if Joey Votto was to do something like say he wouldn't mind playing for the Blue Jays, or even be reluctant towards signing a long term extension with the Reds, I will go on loving everything about him.

bounty37h
02-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I would have a huge problem with it even if it were Fred Lewis!

Says the guy with Cub in his name, if you are a real Reds fan, you would change your name to reddedge.

Oxblood
02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
I doubt you would ever see Patton rocking a swastika.

Reds
02-10-2011, 02:30 PM
This is the problem with inter-league play! I shouldn't have to care about the White Sox! :D

Cuban_Missile
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
I doubt you would ever see Patton rocking a swastika.

thats a bit different but still funny

OGB
02-10-2011, 04:37 PM
How has this ridiculous non-issue garnered a 66 post thread that is still active after 2 and a half weeks?

Girevik
02-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I was kindo wondering the same thing, but didn't want to post it and keep the therad alive. :)

naptown
02-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Now if Brandon would have been there wearing only white socks, then this might have been an issue....