PDA

View Full Version : A couple of former Reds bullpen-ers signed today

Redsfan320
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Todd Coffey (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/nationals-to-sign-todd-coffey.html) and Micah Owings. (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/dbacks-to-sign-micah-owings.html)

Good luck!

Benihana
01-24-2011, 05:43 PM
The Adam Dunn trade has to go down as the worst move of Jocketty's tenure so far. Well, after the Taveras signing anyway.

Obviously not the fact that he was traded, but the fact that it's now safe to look back and say the Reds got literally nothing in return.

OnBaseMachine
01-24-2011, 06:08 PM
And Willy Taveras signed with the Rockies.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/rockies-sign-willy-taveras.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

redsmetz
01-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Coffey to the Nationals should be fun for him and his family. He was from North Carolina, wasn't he?

cincrazy
01-24-2011, 09:10 PM
The Adam Dunn trade has to go down as the worst move of Jocketty's tenure so far. Well, after the Taveras signing anyway.

Obviously not the fact that he was traded, but the fact that it's now safe to look back and say the Reds got literally nothing in return.

It is disappointing that we didn't get much in return. But in fairness to Walt, the market just wasn't there for Dunner. I really think he got about as much as he could. Would I rather have Dunn in left than Gomes/Lewis/Hermida? Of course. But the budget wouldn't allow it.

We didn't get any pieces to help for the future, but the deal in no way harmed us for the future. So bad move? Technically, yes. But not enough of a bad move to make a true impact.

GADawg
01-26-2011, 06:16 PM
good to see Owings get another opportunity...he seems like a first class guy but as a pitcher he kinda grades out as a mop up guy. Been alot of talk about him as a hitter but as successful as he was in limited ab's I don't see a guy stepping in the bucket like that being consistent enough to get ab's. just my opinion.

Coffey otoh I just can't see myself rooting for anymore. Seemed to really hold a grudge against the Reds but I thought they gave him every possible opportunity and it just wasn't happening. Honestly I probably wouldn't have noticed had he gone to a team outside the division but nonetheless i enjoyed watching him self destruct on several occasions

WVRedsFan
01-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Interesting. Owings to the DBacks where he came from and Coffey to Cincinnati Reds Lite. Owings was the best Walt could do for Dunn. He just wasn't considered more than an inconsistent bad by some, though I loved the big guy. and Owings looked like someone that might break out. His bat was a bonus. It didn't happen. some deals work and some don't.

As for Coffey--he amazes me. He had a very uneven career in Cincinnati, went to Milwaukee and had a good year and then blew up, just like in Cincinnati. Spread a lot of smack about the Reds and generally was a pain in the posterior to his former club. He may do the same in Washington, but he may do well. I wish him well, as I do Owings, except when they play us.

camisadelgolf
01-28-2011, 01:56 AM
I would no longer call the Nationals the 'Reds lite'. Jerry Hairston Jr. is the only ex-Red on their 40-man roster iIrc.

WVRedsFan
01-28-2011, 01:59 AM
I would no longer call the Nationals the 'Reds lite'. Jerry Hairston Jr. is the only ex-Red on their 40-man roster iIrc.Yeah, with the departure of Old Leatherpants, that is true. Old habits die hard.

Blitz Dorsey
01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't like this thread title at all. I prefer to think of Micah Owings as "Former Reds slugger..."

Captain Hook
01-30-2011, 03:37 PM
There was a time not too long long ago that I'd be ok with guys like Owing fighting for a rotation spot and Coffee shoring up the BP.Regardless of how the Reds acquired them I'm happy to wish them well with their new teams and glad the Reds have no need for them.

jojo
01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
It is disappointing that we didn't get much in return. But in fairness to Walt, the market just wasn't there for Dunner. I really think he got about as much as he could. Would I rather have Dunn in left than Gomes/Lewis/Hermida? Of course. But the budget wouldn't allow it.

We didn't get any pieces to help for the future, but the deal in no way harmed us for the future. So bad move? Technically, yes. But not enough of a bad move to make a true impact.

It really cant even be called a bad move. The Reds at least got something in return for a couple of useless months.

fearofpopvol1
01-30-2011, 05:10 PM
It really cant even be called a bad move. The Reds at least got something in return for a couple of useless months.

I'm pretty sure Dunn would have been at least a Type B free agent, maybe even a Type A. I would've rather had the draft pick(s).

savafan
01-30-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm pretty sure Dunn would have been at least a Type B free agent, maybe even a Type A. I would've rather had the draft pick(s).

I doubt the Reds would have offered arbitration.

jojo
01-30-2011, 06:42 PM
I doubt the Reds would have offered arbitration.

Thats the thing. The Dbacks didn't and it seems pretty likely that Jocketty was factoring the economy in his decision.