PDA

View Full Version : If You Could....(from ORG)

stripedwarrior
01-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Thread started on the ORG. If you could do one thing in the history of the Reds, what would it be?
So many individual things to choose from. Making a trade, veto a trade, sign a free agent, make that big draft choice.

Personally, I would be greedy and insist on the best scouting in the majors. So I guess it would not exactly meet the premise.

Imagine, Jeter instead of Motolla. Piazza in the 61st round. Keith Hernandez in the 41st. Nolan Ryan in the 1st instead of Bernie Carbo. Rickey Henderson in the 3rd. Andre Dawson in the 9th.

The list could be very long.

Kingspoint
01-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Undo the Frank Robinson trade.

freestyle55
01-26-2011, 10:15 AM
As much as I like Drew Stubbs, I would go back and draft Tim Lincecum instead of him. Imagine this team last year if we had that #1 hammer like him. I think the difference between him and any of our pitching staff last year vs. Stubbs and a potential replacement would have been a no-brainer...

PhatHead
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
I would have protected Trevor Hoffman in the '92 expansion draft.

will5979
01-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Forced Marge Schott to sell the team after the 1990 season hoping someone would have purchased it not named Carl Linder.

bounty37h
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Thread started on the ORG. If you could do one thing in the history of the Reds, what would it be?
So many individual things to choose from. Making a trade, veto a trade, sign a free agent, make that big draft choice.

Personally, I would be greedy and insist on the best scouting in the majors. So I guess it would not exactly meet the premise.

Imagine, Jeter instead of Motolla. Piazza in the 61st round. Keith Hernandez in the 41st. Nolan Ryan in the 1st instead of Bernie Carbo. Rickey Henderson in the 3rd. Andre Dawson in the 9th.

The list could be very long.

I dont think scouting had anyhting to do with Piazza, he was drafted as a favor and they struck gold (as far as getign a guy who can hit a ball at least, I still dont buy he was a catcher), dont think it had anything to do with scouting.

BlastFurnace
01-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Not fire Sparky Anderson

krm1580
01-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Tell Bowie Kuhn to stick his "not in the best interest of baseball" clause where the sun don't shine and let the Vida Blue deal go through. With Blue and Seaver, there is a really good chance the Reds would have won the World Series in 1977 and possibly 78

New York Red
01-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Too many to choose from, so I'll go with one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Find a way to get Junior in a Reds uniform much sooner.

bounty37h
01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Not fire Sparky Anderson

Hmm, I was trying to whittle down to one before I responded with mine, but will go with this as well.

wlf WV
01-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Jeter came to mind first,only because I knew front office were advised to draft him .

BlastFurnace
01-26-2011, 05:02 PM
If I had a second choice, it would have been to not trade Tony Perez after the 1976 season.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Since I've started watching baseball, I would've not traded Sean Casey to Pittsburgh, although Sean is my favorite player, and played great down the line for the Tigers, I still wanted him to finish as a Red.

AintlifeGrande
01-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Not trade Paul ONeal.

naptown
01-28-2011, 01:10 PM
I would have married Marge Schott.....

01-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I would exclude changing any draft choices, since they really are all crap shoots and easy to second guess. I mean every team passed on Pujols 12 times before he was finally drafted.

Selfishly, I would have convinced Bob Howsam to stay on, and never have anything to do with Dick Wagner. I was in high school 1981-84 and those four years were torture for me. The 2000's were longer, but for some reason, not as tough for me to deal with, probably because I was older and more mature.

indyredleg
01-30-2011, 11:35 AM
As much as I like Drew Stubbs, I would go back and draft Tim Lincecum instead of him. Imagine this team last year if we had that #1 hammer like him. I think the difference between him and any of our pitching staff last year vs. Stubbs and a potential replacement would have been a no-brainer...

This

goreds2
01-30-2011, 03:58 PM
It would have been to not trade Tony Perez after the 1976 season.

Yep, we would have won 1 or 2 other World Series. :(

Old NDN
02-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I'd remove Brooks Robinson from the 1970 World Series. If he's not playing for the Orioles, the Reds would be flying another World Series Champions banner (And my tickets to game 6 would have been valid).

MikeThierry
02-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Not to make you all angry but you guys drafted Travis Wong in the 13th round in 1999. Albert Pujols would go 4 spots later to the Cardinals.

Here are Travis Wong's stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=wong--001tra

Albert Pujols stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pujolal01.shtml

naptown
02-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Not to make you all angry but you guys drafted Travis Wong in the 13th round in 1999. Albert Pujols would go 4 spots later to the Cardinals.

Here are Travis Wong's stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=wong--001tra

Albert Pujols stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pujolal01.shtml

Every year teams pass on players that end up being big time players. You can look at every single draft every year and point out these kind of misses from every single team in the league. Its pointless.

MikeThierry
02-08-2011, 07:42 PM
True, but this is a what if you could thread. Its all hypothetical and fantasy to begin with.

naptown
02-09-2011, 12:29 AM
True, but this is a what if you could thread. Its all hypothetical and fantasy to begin with.

I did not mean to say pointless. I meant to say endless.

But yeah, my bad. I did not mean for my original reply to come across the way it sounded.

winks
02-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Ive gone back and forth on this and it is very recent but what about NOT trading Josh Hamilton. Hamilton and Votto (both MVP's) would have been fun to watch

mroby85
02-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Ive gone back and forth on this and it is very recent but what about NOT trading Josh Hamilton. Hamilton and Votto (both MVP's) would have been fun to watch

Thats exactly what I was going to say. I have mixed feelings on Hamilton because I liked him so well when he was here, and want him to do well, but at the same time there is a part of me it makes sick every time I see him on the highlight reel.

Todd Gack
02-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Build a better ball park. GAP is horrible. Not much feeling of a 'Reds' game. Too many ads and a cookie cutter of a ballpark with no redeeming feature that stands out or makes it the home of the Reds. I cringe every time I think about how cheaply that stadium was built. Could've been much better.