PDA

View Full Version : Phil Castellini: "Both renewals and new ticket sales are up significantly"

OnBaseMachine
01-26-2011, 07:09 PM
From John Fay:

“Both renewals and new ticket sales are up significantly,” he said. “We’ll have a better number when we get closer to Opening Day. But I’d say both are up at least 10 percent. You’d like them to be up 100 percent. But we’re still fighting a tough economy.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/01/26/ticket-sales-up-significantly/

RedsManRick
01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Interesting that ticket sales are the #1 source of revenue. By contrast, in football ticket sales are 3rd I believe, behind media and merchandise.

kaldaniels
01-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Interesting that ticket sales are the #1 source of revenue. By contrast, in football ticket sales are 3rd I believe, behind media and merchandise.

I agree. I mean, it is a fact, but it is still hard to imagine that in the year 2011 there are not stronger revenue streams other than butts in the seats.

RBA
01-26-2011, 07:30 PM

81 home games compared to <12, counting preseason?

Blitz Dorsey
01-26-2011, 07:41 PM
I agree. I mean, it is a fact, but it is still hard to imagine that in the year 2011 there are not stronger revenue streams other than butts in the seats.

There would be, if MLB had a similar system as the NFL where all TV revenue is shared equally amongst all teams. It's very simple: MLB doesn't care about parity/fairness; the NFL does. It's not hard to see why one has emerged as clearly our nation's favorite professional sport.

RedsManRick
01-26-2011, 07:44 PM
81 home games compared to <12, counting preseason?

Well, the averages Reds ticket was around $30. The Reds average ~25k attendance per home game. 30*25*81 = ~$61M

The average Bengals ticket was around $70. The Bengals average ~60k attendance per home game. 70 * 60 * 10 = ~$42M

So that's definitely part of it (though teams split the gate 60/40 in the NFL). However, I think the bigger issue is that in the NFL all media revenue and revenue from NFL licensed merch is split evenly between the teams. In MLB, teams keep about 70% of their local revenue and the rest of the 30% goes in to a pot which is split evenly.

I think it's something like the Reds get $30M from the revenue sharing pot whereas the Bengals get like $100M. It's a BIG difference.

UKFlounder
01-26-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure it's as much a current situation as a past one.

If the current NFL owners were establishing a system, I doubt they chose the one they have now - they'd likely be much more similar to baseball.

But (and you knew it was coming), some of the leaders of football, 40-50 years ago (Rozelle, I believe among them) had the vision to see that revenue sharing could be beneficial and they managed to put it through, while the NFL was nowhere near a national powerhouse.

The power of the tradition started then has continued with the same system, with only the court-ordered changes to free agency in the late 80s/early 90s having changed much.

Baseball, on the other hand, has a much more "everybody for himself" tradition, and sometimes well-established traditions (for lack of a better word - maybe "business models?") are tough to change

QUOTE=Blitz Dorsey;2318801]There would be, if MLB had a similar system as the NFL where all TV revenue is shared equally amongst all teams. It's very simple: MLB doesn't care about parity/fairness; the NFL does. It's not hard to see why one has emerged as clearly our nation's favorite professional sport.[/QUOTE]

camisadelgolf
01-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Well, the averages Reds ticket was around $30. The Reds average ~25k attendance per home game. 30*25*81 = ~$61M

The average Bengals ticket was around $70. The Bengals average ~60k attendance per home game. 70 * 60 * 10 = ~$42M

So that's definitely part of it (though teams split the gate 60/40 in the NFL). However, I think the bigger issue is that in the NFL all media revenue and revenue from NFL licensed merch is split evenly between the teams. In MLB, teams keep about 70% of their local revenue and the rest of the 30% goes in to a pot which is split evenly.

I think it's something like the Reds get $30M from the revenue sharing pot whereas the Bengals get like $100M. It's a BIG difference.
So one thing I can draw from this is . . . Mike Brown is making a lot of money off his competition? That almost sounds selfish, and I don't know if I can buy that.

jmcclain19
01-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Not surprised ticket sales are up. Most fans are bandwagon sheep. The Reds are popular once again because they are winning. Thus everyone wants to hop again.

Now the trick is Phil & Bob, keeping them around.

RedsManRick
01-27-2011, 01:25 AM
So one thing I can draw from this is . . . Mike Brown is making a lot of money off his competition? That almost sounds selfish, and I don't know if I can buy that.

YouTube - Mike Brown and Art Rooney II, EP1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybQi4H7E0xk)

camisadelgolf
01-27-2011, 03:43 AM
YouTube - Mike Brown and Art Rooney II, EP1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybQi4H7E0xk)
I already posted it to my FB even though I am no longer a Bengals fan. This is a must-see for any Bengals fan, though. Anyway, sorry to get off topic.

Mario-Rijo
01-27-2011, 04:10 AM
Not surprised ticket sales are up. Most fans are bandwagon sheep. The Reds are popular once again because they are winning. Thus everyone wants to hop again.

Now the trick is Phil & Bob, keeping them around.

Could be a partial response to the Bengals mess also. Lots of those season ticket holders starting to file out of PBS.

bucksfan2
01-27-2011, 08:31 AM

You have any info about how much money the TV contract from FSN generates for the Reds?

Roy Tucker
01-27-2011, 08:40 AM
IIRC, MLB internet revenues are split evenly between the clubs. This may someday be a saving grace. I used to think that it was a small pot and not much room for growth. But streaming internet content is a viable technology now and may become a bigger deal in MLB.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5034:mlb-advanced-media-rejects-1b-in-offers-from-private-equity&catid=60:internet&Itemid=125

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/mlbam-the-stealthy-money-machine/

REDREAD
01-27-2011, 09:20 AM
You have any info about how much money the TV contract from FSN generates for the Reds?

As I recall, it's one of the worst contracts of any baseball team (bottom 1/3).
I know the Indians do bettter than us.

It was really encouraging to see such strong ratings gains last year on FSN. This will put the Reds in a good position to negotiate future TV deals.

I hope the Reds see a good attendence bump next year. I plan to take my family after a long absence, however, I've been burned by buying tickets in advance and then seeing Steve Parris, etc.. So my policy is to always buy tickets a couple days befre.

Hoosier Red
01-27-2011, 09:23 AM
There would be, if MLB had a similar system as the NFL where all TV revenue is shared equally amongst all teams. It's very simple: MLB doesn't care about parity/fairness; the NFL does. It's not hard to see why one has emerged as clearly our nation's favorite professional sport.

It's a little bit chicken and egg too, but the NFL doesn't have any "local" media(aside from Radio which I believe the team's actually keep.) But because the NFL TV and internet deals are sold as all or none, then there truly is no local media contracts.

On the other hand, in baseball, 30 different teams are selling 30 different ad packages. Not only does this cause the networks to spend additional money overall(there are two sets of announcers at virtually every game) but on some level it encourages a company like DirectTV, which has a significant stake in the Fox Sports Network, to attempt to keep individual contracts low. They don't want FSN Milwaukee to pay $100 million and FSN Cincinnati to pay $50 million. Soon the Reds will be demanding a deal similar to what the Brewers get. Meanwhile, teams who do not have a deal with FSN(name the city) get more money because their networks are dependent on the teams doing well. YES network in particular probably has a vested interest in raising the Yankees competitive advantage.

So on one hand, the baseball system is inequitable, on the other hand, it probably brings in more TV revenue than it could otherwise.

traderumor
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM

It was really encouraging to see such strong ratings gains last year on FSN. This will put the Reds in a good position to negotiate future TV deals.

I hope the Reds see a good attendence bump next year. I plan to take my family after a long absence, however, I've been burned by buying tickets in advance and then seeing Steve Parris, etc.. So my policy is to always buy tickets a couple days befre.Try showing up expecting to see Elmer Dessens on a July 4 game and show up to see Jared Fernandez instead. :thumbdown Then it seemed like we drew Haranag every time for awhile.

That all kinda got left in the dust last year, though, as our only game we were able to do turned out to the be Sunday complete game win by Bronson and we got to watch the standings change to the Reds going into 1st place for the first time.

OnBaseMachine
01-27-2011, 11:50 AM
More from Fay, with quotes from Bob Castellini.

Update: Literally seconds after I posted this, I got this from one of my regular emailers:

“Just ordered my 20 game pack. I’ve never owned season tickets to any team. The way the reds are run and the success on the field made my decision for me. The ticket people on the phone were great to work with.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/01/27/reds-subtly-send-message-to-fans/

Griffey012
01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
More from Fay, with quotes from Bob Castellini.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/01/27/reds-subtly-send-message-to-fans/

I am moving to Cincinnati in about a week to start a new job. Once I get some money put away I plan on purchasing a 20 pack also, can't wait.

REDREAD
01-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Try showing up expecting to see Elmer Dessens on a July 4 game and show up to see Jared Fernandez instead. :thumbdown Then it seemed like we drew Haranag every time for awhile.

I think I ended up seeing Paris like 4 times in a row!
One time, I even waited until the day of the game. Neagle was listed as the starter. Even verified on my way out. Get to the park, Neagle was scratched for PARIS, who gave up 4-5 runs in the first 3 innings.. I was so pissed.
That might've actually been the last game I saw in Cincy.. Neagle was dumped later and I was convinced that we were never going to have a decent season as long as John Allen was running the team.

At least now, the team is pretty solid 1-5 in the rotation. There's no starting pitcher that you see projected and think "well, this is an automatic loss".
With my luck though, if I bought an advance ticket, I'd end up getting Maloney or LeCure :lol:

Blitz Dorsey
01-27-2011, 08:19 PM
As a Reds fan who also has the misfortune of rooting for the Bengals, it's good to know that at least one of my teams is run properly.

Matt700wlw
01-28-2011, 12:05 AM
The Reds have to be watching the Bengals absolute trainwreck of a 3 weeks and saying "thank you."

The Bengals loss most definitely could add to the Reds gain.

WVRedsFan
01-28-2011, 12:56 AM

I hope the Reds see a good attendence bump next year. I plan to take my family after a long absence, however, I've been burned by buying tickets in advance and then seeing Steve Parris, etc.. So my policy is to always buy tickets a couple days befre.That could change with winning the division and all. It always seems to be the case. But you have to understand that money is tight, not only for the man on the street, but also for businesses. My business is running at a break even pace where it was showing a healthy profit three years ago. Given that, there is not a lot of money that people have to spend on recreation. I live 300 miles away, and a trip to a game costs me roughly $600. You guys who live close by only spend about $100, but that's real money in this economy.

In a small market, the FSN is the best deal for the Reds regardless of the money. In the old days when WLW-T had the network, Reds fans only got to see their favorite team maybe 50 times a year. Now you can see virtually every game. That will build into somewhat of a following. I've noticed the bars in the area now have the Reds on every night (not that I would know :)). Used to be the Braves, years ago. Now that FSN pretty much controls the games, access is important and a winning product will increase that take for the Red$.

redsmetz
01-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Story on the Reds increased sales in today's Business Courier:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/print-edition/2011/01/28/cincinnati-reds-enjoy-strong-sales.html?ana=e_ph

redsfandan
01-29-2011, 07:35 AM

Does anyone know when the Reds current contract with FSN expires? I thought it was soon.

WebScorpion
01-29-2011, 01:43 PM
All I can say is: Hey oh, way to go, O-hi-o! :cool:

OnBaseMachine
01-29-2011, 06:28 PM
From Mo Egger:

Reds sold 3x the previous select-a-seat record at today's event. No word on whether they'll officially thank Mike Brown.

http://twitter.com/MoEgger1530

TOBTTReds
01-29-2011, 08:40 PM
No word on whether they'll officially thank Mike Brown.

http://twitter.com/MoEgger1530

Officially, no. Internally, heck yeah!

Ron Madden
01-31-2011, 01:30 AM
Hal McCoy says 2.8 million is the target for 2011.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/reds-hope-key-player-deals-leads-to-more-attendance-1068592.html?cxtype=ybuzz

The Operator
01-31-2011, 02:31 AM

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/reds-hope-key-player-deals-leads-to-more-attendance-1068592.html?cxtype=ybuzzOff the top of my head, that would be around 35,000 per game.

I'd love it but I don't know if I expect that just yet.

Ron Madden
01-31-2011, 02:43 AM
Off the top of my head, that would be around 35,000 per game.

Yea, I thought 2.8 M seemed like a pretty high target as well.

redsfandan
01-31-2011, 07:24 AM

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/reds-hope-key-player-deals-leads-to-more-attendance-1068592.html?cxtype=ybuzz
That would be roughly a 36% increase. In a still tough economy. And I think they've only reached 2.8M+ attendance twice in team history. It's good to be ambitious though.

reds1869
01-31-2011, 11:06 AM
That would be roughly a 36% increase. In a still tough economy. And I think they've only reached 2.8M+ attendance twice in team history. It's good to be ambitious though.

That last sentence is the key difference between the current leadership and their predecessors. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, the Reds are shooting for perfection in order to achieve excellence.

Cyclone792
01-31-2011, 11:16 AM

Off the top of my head, that would be around 35,000 per game.

I'd love it if it would happen too, but I'm not seeing it. The problem is twofold, 1) those April/May weeknight games still won't draw well, and 2) the Reds don't play in a 50k stadium ballpark to give themselves a massive weekend gate in order to make up for those small weeknight spring crowds. They'd basically have to sell out every weekend game to give themselves a shot.

Meanwhile, I did tell a buddy this year that the days of buying a cheap seat and sitting wherever on a weekend is likely over for the time being and that we'll likely be buying legitimate seats and actually having to sit in them for those games.

However, I don't expect that to be the case for most weeknight games, especially those early April/May games. I look at some series such as the April 19-21 Diamondbacks series (Tue-Thu) or May 2-4 Astros series (Mon-Wed), and I'd be absolutely shocked to see an average game attendance on the right side of 20k for those games.

Reds Freak
01-31-2011, 11:32 AM
I'd love it if it would happen too, but I'm not seeing it. The problem is twofold, 1) those April/May weeknight games still won't draw well, and 2) the Reds don't play in a 50k stadium ballpark to give themselves a massive weekend gate in order to make up for those small weeknight spring crowds. They'd basically have to sell out every weekend game to give themselves a shot.

Meanwhile, I did tell a buddy this year that the days of buying a cheap seat and sitting wherever on a weekend is likely over for the time being and that we'll likely be buying legitimate seats and actually having to sit in them for those games.

However, I don't expect that to be the case for most weeknight games, especially those early April/May games. I look at some series such as the April 19-21 Diamondbacks series (Tue-Thu) or May 2-4 Astros series (Mon-Wed), and I'd be absolutely shocked to see an average game attendance on the right side of 20k for those games.

Good points. A few things working in the sales department's favor looking at the schedule...three mid-week series with the Cubbies, the Yankees series is a Mon-Wed, and a rematch series with the Phils is mid-week. Things working against them...no 4th of July home games and no Memorial Day weekend home games (except for Monday night)...

Roy Tucker
01-31-2011, 11:41 AM

Exactly. I tell my kids that if you aim for mediocracy, then that's all you'll ever get. Aim high. Even if you miss by a bit, you're still up there about the unwashed masses. And who knows, you may hit a home run.

Ron Madden
02-03-2011, 03:06 AM
The Reds are banking on paying customers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-earlybirdreds020211

OnBaseMachine
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
The Reds are banking on paying customers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-earlybirdreds020211

Nice article, but this part isn't quite true:

That said, it was apparent when the Reds were swept by the Philadelphia Phillies in the playoffs that they lack a true No. 1 starter.

The Reds held the Phillies high powered offense to seven earned runs in three games and it should have only been four ER if not for the Cabrera/Gomes gaffes in the second inning of the first game. Yeah, it would be nice to have a true ace but pitching isn't the reason why the Reds were swept. It was the offense and defense.

edabbs44
02-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Nice article, but this part isn't quite true:

The Reds held the Phillies high powered offense to seven earned runs in three games and it should have only been four ER if not for the Cabrera/Gomes gaffes in the second inning of the first game. Yeah, it would be nice to have a true ace but pitching isn't the reason why the Reds were swept. It was the offense and defense.

I think, by apparent, they mean when they saw what the Reds offense looked like versus Philly's staff.

REDREAD
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM

I agree completely.
The Reds were no hit in game 1. Even if they had Cliff Lee or another #1 starter, they probably still lose that game.

OnBaseMachine
02-19-2011, 11:55 AM
From Jamie Ramsey:

We've exceeded last year's Power Pack sales totals this morning within the first hour. But there are plenty of great seats still available.

http://twitter.com/Jamieblog

top6
02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
The Power Pack that went on sale today (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/ticketing/powerpacks.jsp?affiliateId=1913JS3JE1-43) is a very good deal. It includes Opening Day, all 3 Yankees games, 2 Cardinals games and every fireworks night. Outside of Opening Day and the Yankees games, every game is on a weekend.

I just bought 2 upper deck tickets. I usually try to finagle tickets from work, but this way I'm guaranteed to at least have seats at some of the marquis games. (And if I do get better tickets from another source I can sell these or give them away.)

I actually don't understand why the Reds are doing this. Why not tie purchase of the Opening Day and Yankees tickets (which will obviously sell out) to games that are NOT likely to sell well? But that is not what they are doing, so you can get 10 great games right now.

Actually, you could probably buy the 10-pack, and sell the opening day tickets on stub hub or ebay, and make a good chunk of your money back. So if you are on the fence about pre-ordering tickets this year, this might be a good opportunity.

Phhhl
02-19-2011, 04:17 PM
The Power Pack that went on sale today (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/ticketing/powerpacks.jsp?affiliateId=1913JS3JE1-43) is a very good deal. It includes Opening Day, all 3 Yankees games, 2 Cardinals games and every fireworks night. Outside of Opening Day and the Yankees games, every game is on a weekend.

I just bought 2 upper deck tickets. I usually try to finagle tickets from work, but this way I'm guaranteed to at least have seats at some of the marquis games. (And if I do get better tickets from another source I can sell these or give them away.)

I actually don't understand why the Reds are doing this. Why not tie purchase of the Opening Day and Yankees tickets (which will obviously sell out) to games that are NOT likely to sell well? But that is not what they are doing, so you can get 10 great games right now.

Actually, you could probably buy the 10-pack, and sell the opening day tickets on stub hub or ebay, and make a good chunk of your money back. So if you are on the fence about pre-ordering tickets this year, this might be a good opportunity.

That is a much better deal than I was expecting. I already got the 20 pack because I didn't know if Opening Day would be offered in the 10 pack. If I had, I probably would have waited and just filled in some extra games throughout the season. Oh well. All the games are great, though.

Boss-Hog
02-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I picked up the Power Pack today, as well. I wish I'd known about it before we also purchased the Yankees Flex Pack, as we now have a duplicate to sell, but that's at least 13 games I'll be attending. :beerme:

Griffey012
02-20-2011, 02:24 AM
I found the Reds ticket plans very strange. I was trying to get some friends to hop on board with either the 13 game Friday or Saturday pack, but once I realized it did not include opening day I quickly switched to a power pack. Living a few minutes away from the stadium now I will surely attend more than the 10 games, so I am not complaining. But why not give opening day tickets to those who purchase more seats?

Those Yankee tickets will likely be up for sale

Jpup
02-20-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm interested in tickets for the Yankees series and Opening Day. If anyone has those available, please send me a PM.

TOBTTReds
02-20-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm interested in tickets for the Yankees series and Opening Day. If anyone has those available, please send me a PM.

No brainer...get the power pack. It went on sale yesterday.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/ticketing/powerpacks.jsp

It has OD, all 3 NYY games and other good ones.

Date Time Opponent Promotion
Thu, Mar 31 2:10 pm Opening Day Rally Towels
Sat, Apr 2 7:10 pm Brewers Reds Fleece Blanket, Opening Night, Fireworks Night #1
Sat, May 14 4:10 pm Cardinals Sparky Anderson Bronze Statue
Mon, Jun 20 7:10 pm Yankees
Tue, Jun 21 7:10 pm Yankees
Wed, Jun 22 12:35 pm Yankees
Fri, Jul 15 7:10 pm Cardinals Fireworks Friday #6, Free Agent Fridays
Sat, Jul 30 7:10 pm Giants Scott Rolen Mesh Jersey
Fri, Aug 26 7:10 pm Nats Fireworks Friday #10, Free Agent Fridays
Sat, Sep 17 7:10 pm Brewers 2011 Team Photo

kpresidente
02-20-2011, 09:24 AM

Seriously. We got no-hit in the only game that hypothetical ace would have started. We could have had Lincecum, it wouldn't have made a difference.

kpresidente
02-20-2011, 09:32 AM
If the Business Courier article is correct, a 7% increase in ticket sales only adds up to about $3M in added revenues. Any help is a plus, but it's not like we can start signing the Cliff Lee's of the world.

MartyFan
02-20-2011, 10:50 AM
If the Business Courier article is correct, a 7% increase in ticket sales only adds up to about $3M in added revenues. Any help is a plus, but it's not like we can start signing the Cliff Lee's of the world.

I agree...over that would probably be a small bump in concessions and merch sales too at the stadium and I have to believe that merch sales at stores like WalMart, Mejier, etc are up too....not sure that those included are enough to go get a Cliff Lee or keep Brandon Phillips.

bucksfan2
02-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Seriously. We got no-hit in the only game that hypothetical ace would have started. We could have had Lincecum, it wouldn't have made a difference.

Its a different game if Volquez gets out of the 1st inning. Halladay pitched one of greatest playoff games in history, but what would have hapened if it was a 0-0 game going into the 6th inning? The whole dynamic of the game changed when Volquez got rocked in the 1st inning.

OnBaseMachine
02-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Its a different game if Volquez gets out of the 1st inning. Halladay pitched one of greatest playoff games in history, but what would have hapened if it was a 0-0 game going into the 6th inning? The whole dynamic of the game changed when Volquez got rocked in the 1st inning.

Volquez gave up one run in the first inning. In the second inning Orlando Cabrera and Gomes committed two blunders that led to three runs. Cabrera's being the most costly because it would have been the third out and the game would have remained 1-0. So while Volquez didn't pitch well, his defense crushed him in the second inning. That was the story of the series - the collapse of the Reds defense.

bucksfan2
02-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Volquez gave up one run in the first inning. In the second inning Orlando Cabrera and Gomes committed two blunders that led to three runs. Cabrera's being the most costly because it would have been the third out and the game would have remained 1-0. So while Volquez didn't pitch well, his defense crushed him in the second inning. That was the story of the series - the collapse of the Reds defense.

Regardless of the gaffes or pitching performance, it the score had been 1-0 late into the game it would have been a different game. The pressure would have been amped up, one swing of the bat could have changed things. As it was it was 4-0 and Halladay had some working room.

I guess my entire point is had the Reds had a true ace it may have been a different game. Had the Reds traded for Lee and he and Halladay been throwing up 0's it would have been a different game.

RBA
02-20-2011, 03:53 PM

Does that include concessions and parking, etc?

edabbs44
02-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Volquez was crap...even if Gomes and Cabrera make those plays, he blows up eventually.