PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Gil Meche tells Royals to keep the final $12 million he's owed

Blitz Dorsey
01-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Instead of having surgery, pitching out the bullpen and collecting $12 million this season, Gil Meche decided to retire, allowing the Royals to keep the final $12 million Meche was owed.

Just heard this on ESPN Radio. Now that is kind of sports story I like to hear. I bet 90 percent or more athletes would "hold on" that extra year just to get that kind of coin. Meche was quoted as saying "I didn't feel I was earning my money and I felt bad about it."

Refreshing.

NJReds
01-28-2011, 10:43 AM
It is an amazing story when you think about it. I'm sure the union is thrilled.

Orenda
01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Instead of having surgery, pitching out the bullpen and collecting $12 million this season, Gil Meche decided to retire, allowing the Royals to keep the final $12 million Meche was owed.

Just heard this on ESPN Radio. Now that is kind of sports story I like to hear. I bet 90 percent or more athletes would "hold on" that extra year just to get that kind of coin. Meche was quoted as saying "I didn't feel I was earning my money and I felt bad about it."

Refreshing.

good for him, although its probably more like 99 percent of athletes and people who would hold on to a guaranteed pay day that large. Unfortonetly, I could see myself justifying being hated in KC for the rest of my life it meant I could retire on the beach.

oneupper
01-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Can someone find the RZ thread about his LTC signing?

Always Red
01-28-2011, 10:53 AM
The man sleeps very well at night.

The world needs more folks like Gil Meche.

klw
01-28-2011, 10:55 AM
The man sleeps very well at night.

The world needs more folks like Gil Meche.

Well actually he is sleeping in an RV near his family in Louisiana until he buys a home near them, according to a NYT article. I guess you can sleep pretty well in an RV these days some can be quite plush.

Homer Bailey
01-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Can someone find the RZ thread about his LTC signing?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53106&highlight=gil+meche

oneupper
01-28-2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53106&highlight=gil+meche

Our airmchair GMs were pretty spot-on. Most of them hated the deal.

Always Red
01-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Well actually he is sleeping in an RV near his family in Louisiana until he buys a home near them, according to a NYT article. I guess you can sleep pretty well in an RV these days some can be quite plush.

If you're staying in an RV, you really don't need that extra $12million, do you?
:D

cumberlandreds
01-28-2011, 11:37 AM

Refreshing.

It makes it less painful for him that he had already made $40 million. Still a nice gesture that many would not do. To be honest, I don't think I would have done it.

redsmetz
01-28-2011, 11:40 AM
It is an amazing story when you think about it. I'm sure the union is thrilled.

Why is it always assumed the player's union will be bothered by something like this. It's not as if he did something that will force down anyone else's possible salaries. In fact, it could even allow another player to earn a little more since the Royals don't have Meche's remaining salary to worry about.

kpresidente
01-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Meche should have taken the money. Do owners give players more money when they outperform their contracts? Player contracts reach a competitive equilibrium only because both the owners and players have to suffer the consequences of the bad contracts they sign. He earned the contract when he was able to negotiate for it.

Unless he just didn't want to play anymore. Then it's OK.

kaldaniels
01-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Why is it always assumed the player's union will be bothered by something like this. It's not as if he did something that will force down anyone else's possible salaries. In fact, it could even allow another player to earn a little more since the Royals don't have Meche's remaining salary to worry about.

I was wondering that myself.

Now on the other hand, if I were Meche, I'd put my time in this year and cash the check. :D

westofyou
01-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Westofyou seems very interested in a subject that is "old news" and sets "no precedent."

Yes, he is also allowed to comment on anything he wants to as well.

NJReds
01-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Why is it always assumed the player's union will be bothered by something like this.

I have no idea what they'll say, if anything. It was part serious/part tongue-in-cheek because the MLBPA doesn't usually have anything positive to say about players giving up money. They might think it's a bad precident because some players might not be so generous. (Oliver Perez).

Blitz Dorsey
01-28-2011, 05:27 PM
It makes it less painful for him that he had already made $40 million. Still a nice gesture that many would not do. To be honest, I don't think I would have done it.

Very true. Let's not lose sight of the fact that Meche is already filthy rich and knew he was being grossly overpaid for years. But at least he's willing to leave that final $12 million on the table. It's easy for me to say I would do the same thing if I was already rich and ready to retire, but that's a lot of money to walk away from. Most athletes would have pretended to be interested for one more season just to collect the paycheck.

traderumor
01-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Very true. Let's not lose sight of the fact that Meche is already filthy rich and knew he was being grossly overpaid for years. But at least he's willing to leave that final $12 million on the table. It's easy for me to say I would do the same thing if I was already rich and ready to retire, but that's a lot of money to walk away from. Most athletes would have pretended to be interested for one more season just to collect the paycheck.Never underestimate the power of the moral imperative that allows people to do the right thing instead of the greedy thing. Americans are so used to actions of greed that it is eyepopping when someone actually takes the high road and turns down money for a moral reason.

Also, you don't know that he's filthy rich, maybe he has spent every dime he earned. He has earned a lot of money, but it is not necessarily that he is set financially. With this decision, I'm guessing he has a good chunk of it, but I don't think it should be assumed.

camisadelgolf
01-28-2011, 06:27 PM
My theory is that he heard stories about how much the rehab process sucks.

jojo
01-28-2011, 07:09 PM
My theory is that he heard stories about how much the rehab process sucks.

Yep. His comments seemed to indicate he didn't want to go through surgery/rehab to be a reliever. He's been through that mess once before. Ya for the Royals but I kind of doubt he did it with their best interests in mind.

kaldaniels
01-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Never underestimate the power of the moral imperative that allows people to do the right thing instead of the greedy thing. Americans are so used to actions of greed that it is eyepopping when someone actually takes the high road and turns down money for a moral reason.

Also, you don't know that he's filthy rich, maybe he has spent every dime he earned. He has earned a lot of money, but it is not necessarily that he is set financially. With this decision, I'm guessing he has a good chunk of it, but I don't think it should be assumed.

See with the statement in your opening paragraph, you have essentially said this is a "Right Thing" vs "Greedy Thing" showdown. I don't think that is the case.

Razor Shines
01-29-2011, 11:50 AM
See with the statement in your opening paragraph, you have essentially said this is a "Right Thing" vs "Greedy Thing" showdown. I don't think that is the case.

I agree completely. I hardly see how playing out his contract could be seen as greedy.