PDA

View Full Version : Site Upgrade

Boss-Hog
01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
All,

Effective this weekend, the site will be moved from a high end shared server (i.e. on a server with other sites) to its own, unique virtual private server. This should allow for drastically improved performance that better reflects the amount of use this site gets and should hopefully eliminate some of the performance related errors we've been seeing lately. The change should be fairly transparent to you, but if you experience any oddities, this is likely the reason. Once requested, the change usually takes 24-48 to become effective. From past experience, two things I can think of that you may see are: 1). one user may see the "old" (current) site and another user may see the new site and 2). because of this, we may lose a handful of posts that are made towards the very end of the old site's existence before everything is 100% on the new server. Additionally, our host advised the following:

PLEASE NOTE: The version of php/apache on the vps is not necessarily the same as the old hosting account (since you dont need special items in place that say a shared hosting with 100+ other web sites have to behave together with) - so there may be minor differences on the new vps to account for, so please test your site thoroughly , especially anything to do with uploads/attachments inside your forum.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Unassisted
01-31-2011, 11:58 AM
we may lose a handful of posts that are made towards the very end of the old site's existence before everything is 100% on the new server.

2 posts that I made on Friday afternoon disappeared. I suspected they got lost when a backup was restored. It was likely this instead, which is a happier circumstance on your end. No big deal. :cool: