PDA

View Full Version : Rangers-Yankees cat fight

Brutus
01-28-2011, 07:05 PM
The Rangers and Yankees have been trading jabs the past few weeks, and Yankees' President Randy Levine just upped the ante a bit with his latest comments...

"I think Chuck is delusional," Levine told ESPNewYork.com. "He has been running the Rangers for a few minutes and seems to believe he's mastered what everyone else is thinking. I think he should let Cliff Lee speak for himself. I'll be impressed when he demonstrates he can keep the Rangers off welfare. What I mean is make them not be a revenue-sharing recipient for three years in a row, without taking financing from baseball or advance money from television networks. Then I'll be impressed."

Rangers Owner 'Delusional' (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6068830)

The Operator
01-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Yikes. Some of what he said makes some sense but I loathe The Yankees, so...

traderumor
01-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Greenberg may be overstating the importance of the role, if any, that the Rangers made in Lee landing in Philly, but that is certainly not "delusional." I think his reasoning is very plausible.

On the other hand, Levine is pompous and reminds everyone with his "welfare" comment why everyone has, does, and will until there are major changes in revenue distribution, hate the Yankees.

Spitball
01-28-2011, 09:50 PM
I don't understand how the Yankees can be upset with the Rangers for staying in the hunt for Lee even when their hopes seemed dim. Ultimately it was Lee's (and his wife and agent's) decision. Leave it to the Yankee's mindset to expect their money to bring them their expected reward.

Phew! I do not like the Yankees and am happy the Rangers have brought another player into the field of competition for big name players.

KoryMac5
01-29-2011, 12:07 AM
From what Cashman said last week he had a pretty good feeling the Yankees were going to sign Lee, they had more money on the table than any other team. Cashman felt his conversations had been good with Lee and his agent up until the last week when the Phillies snuck in and made their pitch. Cashman asked Yankees ownership to pull the offer which they declined to do. I think you are now seeing a power struggle at the top of the Yankees organization where Levine is starting to try and get in on the spotlight.

GADawg
01-29-2011, 12:45 AM
the yankees? I can take 'em or leave 'em. As much as I'd like to totally dislike them I can't help but wish our Reds were in a position to be just as hated by so many but I digress...

I like all the comments/jabs because sometimes the front office types are a little too vanilla and this spices things up a bit. I kinda understand Levine's perspective but using the word "welfare" really upped the ante on this little spat. Btw has the Yankee camp gone completely crazy since the boss passed? It seems every day we get a new mostly unnecessary comment from Cashman, Levine, or the Steinbrenner's.

like sand through an hour glass....

traderumor
01-29-2011, 07:50 AM
if George was nothing else, you knew where the buck stopped. Perhaps that isn't the case anymore.

NJReds
01-29-2011, 10:52 AM
From what Cashman said last week he had a pretty good feeling the Yankees were going to sign Lee, they had more money on the table than any other team. Cashman felt his conversations had been good with Lee and his agent up until the last week when the Phillies snuck in and made their pitch. Cashman asked Yankees ownership to pull the offer which they declined to do. I think you are now seeing a power struggle at the top of the Yankees organization where Levine is starting to try and get in on the spotlight.

Cashman also didn't support the Soriano signing, and said as much at Soriano's press conference. He's definitely not working well with the new Yankee leadership.

blumj
01-29-2011, 11:09 AM
It's not easy to compete with the Jets for headlines.

traderumor
01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Cashman also didn't support the Soriano signing, and said as much at Soriano's press conference. He's definitely not working well with the new Yankee leadership.Welcome to the world of nepotism. A succession plan involving a family member fails much more often than it succeeds.

NJReds
01-29-2011, 10:06 PM

It's a little easier now.

muddie
01-30-2011, 11:54 AM
If nothing else, it provides for some off-season entertainment.

blumj
01-30-2011, 12:35 PM
What's with Berkman trashing the Rangers, is that from his 5 minutes as a Yankee or is that just him?

OnBaseMachine
01-30-2011, 01:36 PM
What's with Berkman trashing the Rangers, is that from his 5 minutes as a Yankee or is that just him?

I think it's from his 5 minutes with the Cardinals. Players that sign with the Cardinals automatically turn into loudmouths immediately upon joining that organization.

Orenda
02-21-2011, 04:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6144975

RedsBaron
02-21-2011, 04:57 PM

All Levine needs to do is get a "foot fetish" and he can get plenty of headlines.....;)

kaldaniels
02-21-2011, 05:05 PM

Man, you got me all fired up thinking he said something juicy. Seemed kinda mild to me. I'm sure some in Rangerland got bent out of shape but I think he was somewhat on key.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/lance-berkman-criticizes-the-rangers-in-explaining-why-he-chose-st-louis-over-texas

RedsBaron
02-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm surprised Berkman said what he said but I agree--it was mild and I really didn't disagree with what he said. Beltre is a good defender but his history would indicate that his offensive performance will decline this season.

_Sir_Charles_
02-21-2011, 05:59 PM
I'll say this, in his time with the Astros, I saw quite a few local interviews with Berkman...and his comments about the Rangers seem perfectly in line with his normal dealings with the press. He states his feelings with blunt and honest statements. Reminds me of Arroyo in many ways with regards to speaking to the press.

As much as I hated seeing Lance face the Reds due to him treating us like his own personal punching-bag, he's a stand-up guy and seemingly a very good teammate.

Blitz Dorsey
02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Welcome to the world of nepotism. A succession plan involving a family member fails much more often than it succeeds.

This is simply not true. Example: It's worked out quite well for the Bengals.

WebScorpion
02-22-2011, 12:41 AM
This is simply not true. Example: It's worked out quite well for the Bengals.
You forgot your smiley. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing024.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

KronoRed
02-22-2011, 12:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6144975

So Bud would be A-ok with a plan that would lead to his favorite baseball team ceasing to be?

Sure Hank...sure.

Yachtzee
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
So Bud would be A-ok with a plan that would lead to his favorite baseball team ceasing to be?

Sure Hank...sure.

Okay, Hank, since you don't want teams in smaller markets, how about we move three more teams to the New York market? Then the city could have one MLB team for each borough. Gee, wouldn't that be fun?

The Operator
02-23-2011, 12:04 AM
And they wonder why people hate The Yankees.

KronoRed
02-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Okay, Hank, since you don't want teams in smaller markets, how about we move three more teams to the New York market? Then the city could have one MLB team for each borough. Gee, wouldn't that be fun?

What about Jersey City? if we're gonna do this lets do it right.

Yachtzee
02-23-2011, 01:09 PM
What about Jersey City? if we're gonna do this lets do it right.

The more, the merrier. The fact is, the Yankees organization has benefited from MLB's restrictive territory rules keeping other teams from moving into the market. If the Hank Steinbrenner wants to do away with revenue sharing, then he should also give up his territorial protection and allow as many teams to move to the NY-NJ metropolitan area as the market will bear.