PDA

View Full Version : Walt on Sports of all Sorts last night

icehole3
01-31-2011, 04:07 AM
WJ was on with Popo last night and here's basically some of what he said:

*couldve sent Stubbs and Bruce down in July
*said Joey asks him everything about Puhols
*last winter Joey stayed with coach Jackson in Fla. they worked on defense all winter
*constantly testing Cueto and giving him physicals
*arb, you have to talk bad about players and you still lose
*says Gomes understands whats going on and is in best shape ever
*not moving Phillips to SS, said BP said he would move if they acquired a quality 2Bman
*felt their offer was better than Texas for Lee, Seattle wanted a specific guy from Texas
*trying to get Edmunds in for 2 weeks in camp
*goal is to extend Leake's innings this year
*thinks reason for change in developing pitchers is, finding and drafting right guy and pitching coaches at every level
*likes Bailey's relationship with Price and Dusty
*difficult to make trades because of clauses and money is a big factor
*Price's suggestion at the end of last season is to keep Chapman in the bullpen even before they made the decision on Rhodes
*said he watches the big league team in ST to make sure they do what they have planned for them to do, he also watches the minors and makes 1 trip during summer to each team

membengal
01-31-2011, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the summation, ice.

A quick thought upon reading

goal is to extend Leake's innings this year

is that it sounds like AAA for Leake is on their minds as that would be a way for them to manage stretching his innings out. And would make sense as you have to figure Bailey has more than inside track for rotation based on being out of options.

icehole3
01-31-2011, 06:45 AM
I had the feeling listening WJ for an hour, it seems he has a circle, Dusty has a circle, and then you have the minors, he kept mentioning his group and how his group would do this and that

membengal
01-31-2011, 06:54 AM
What channel in Cincy is Sports of All Sorts on? Do they ever put up the broadcasts on their webpage for viewing later? I would very much like to see that after work tonight.

redhawkfish
01-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Heading out to work, but it is on channel 9. www.wcpo.com

I am not sure if they have webcasts of Sports of all Sorts though.

membengal
01-31-2011, 07:16 AM
Yeah, don't see a web re-broadcast at first glance. Too bad. And, shame on wcpo for not taking that elementary step toward getting eyeballs to their website.

Bob Borkowski
01-31-2011, 07:23 AM

Sounds like a thread title. ;)

camisadelgolf
01-31-2011, 08:03 AM
Thank you so much, icehole. Great summary.

icehole3
01-31-2011, 09:36 AM
What channel in Cincy is Sports of All Sorts on? Do they ever put up the broadcasts on their webpage for viewing later? I would very much like to see that after work tonight.

he took email questions last night so every question was not a softball type question, Walt took on each one I was very impressed. He was on WKRC's sports talk show the week before, it's mainly because of the caravan tour theyre on

edabbs44
01-31-2011, 09:47 AM
*Price's suggestion at the end of last season is to keep Chapman in the bullpen even before they made the decision on Rhodes

Was there anything else on this? Whether or not Price was suggesting short or long term?

Sea Ray
01-31-2011, 10:16 AM
WJ was on with Popo last night and here's basically some of what he said:

*couldve sent Stubbs and Bruce down in July
*said Joey asks him everything about Puhols
*last winter Joey stayed with coach Jackson in Fla. they worked on defense all winter
*constantly testing Cueto and giving him physicals
*arb, you have to talk bad about players and you still lose
*not moving Phillips to SS, said BP said he would move if they acquired a quality 2Bman
*felt their offer was better than Texas for Lee, Seattle wanted a specific guy from Texas
*trying to get Edmunds in for 2 weeks in camp
*goal is to extend Leake's innings this year
*thinks reason for change in developing pitchers is, finding and drafting right guy and pitching coaches at every level
*likes Bailey's relationship with Price and Dusty
*difficult to make trades because of clauses and money is a big factor
*said he watches the big league team in ST to make sure they do what they have planned for them to do, he also watches the minors and makes 1 trip during summer to each team

Thanks for the update Ice but really is any of this news? Doesn't sound like he said anything to me

camisadelgolf
01-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the update Ice but really is any of this news? Doesn't sound like he said anything to me
Although none of it is anything that hasn't been at least speculated, it stills counts for something to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

westofyou
01-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Pujols, the J is silent, not Pohols.

Sea Ray
01-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Although none of it is anything that hasn't been at least speculated, it stills counts for something to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

What surprised you? I'd say my biggest surprise was trying to get Edmonds to ST for 2 weeks...shrug

camisadelgolf
01-31-2011, 10:30 AM
What surprised you? I'd say my biggest surprise was trying to get Edmonds to ST for 2 weeks...shrug
I agreed that none of it was all that surprising. I only pointed out that hearing it from Walt Jocketty makes it more interesting because now it's official.

edabbs44
01-31-2011, 10:39 AM

I think there are a few somewhat new wrinkles in there:

says Gomes understands whats going on and is in best shape ever

- Tells me that Gomes is fighting for time

not moving Phillips to SS, said BP said he would move if they acquired a quality 2Bman

- Tells me that the door is open, especially if PJ flops

Price's suggestion at the end of last season is to keep Chapman in the bullpen even before they made the decision on Rhodes

- Tells me that this is an org decision based upon Chapman himself and not about the current state of the team. Which should relieve a lot of people.

icehole3
01-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Was there anything else on this? Whether or not Price was suggesting short or long term?

I'll go back and re-watch it and get word for word for you, at work right now

Ghosts of 1990
01-31-2011, 12:48 PM
I wonder how close Bruce and Stubbs were to being sent down last year. I knew that Stubbs was close--didn't think they ever really considered sending down Bruce but I guess I was wrong.

OnBaseMachine
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Good stuff, thanks icehole.

redsfandan
01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, don't see a web re-broadcast at first glance. Too bad. And, shame on wcpo for not taking that elementary step toward getting eyeballs to their website.
It's not that simple Mem. Here's the reason:

John

are there webcasts of past shows?

dan

Danů.There are not. We cannot put anything on the website that contains NFL footage. Otherwise, we have to pay huge royalties to NFL Films.

Thanks..

John Popovich

membengal
01-31-2011, 06:09 PM
That's fine and makes sense where footage is concerned but that shouldn't be an issue w/ the jocketty stuff...

Mario-Rijo
01-31-2011, 09:03 PM
I'll go back and re-watch it and get word for word for you, at work right now

Re-watch it? If you can do that is there a way for you to post it online?

corkedbat
01-31-2011, 11:26 PM
Pujols, the J is silent, not Pohols.

I thought phoenetically it was POO-holes

icehole3
02-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Re-watch it? If you can do that is there a way for you to post it online?

I'll try to post some online, it's a time issue, I do a lot of charity work

redsfandan
02-01-2011, 05:20 AM
That's fine and makes sense where footage is concerned but that shouldn't be an issue w/ the jocketty stuff...

How often do ya think Walt is on that show? Maybe 2-3 times in an entire year? So, do you want to try to sell them on editing out a 10-15 minute interview out of one single whole show to post online? And what if they happened to show video of the Reds playing during the interview. They'd probably have the same issue.

If it doesn't cost them $, isn't a hassle, and can be shown to increase how many people view the show or website they'd probably consider it. I don't think they're stupid.

I think I'll send him another email just to ask about posting only the audio online so there's no $ issues.

membengal
02-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Dan you can get mad at me for asking all you want, but I think it's short-sighted for them not to find a way to make that available for people who don't live in Cincy but might be interested in seeing it. And, since eyeballs to website result in hits and then perhaps ad revenue, it's probably worth their time.

Nevertheless, thanks to ice for the summation and it was nice of you to e-mail them Dan. But I don't think I am off-base in noting that in the 21st century, there are ways for them to get their product to people who don't live within the signal of their towers and editing an interview to remove any offending highlights (if there were any) isn't exactly a high degree of technical difficutly in 2011...

oneupper
02-01-2011, 07:23 AM
I thought phoenetically it was POO-holes

As a "spanglophone", I can attest to this. :)

redsfandan
02-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Dan you can get mad at me for asking all you want, but I think it's short-sighted for them not to find a way to make that available for people who don't live in Cincy but might be interested in seeing it. And, since eyeballs to website result in hits and then perhaps ad revenue, it's probably worth their time.

Nevertheless, thanks to ice for the summation and it was nice of you to e-mail them Dan. But I don't think I am off-base in noting that in the 21st century, there are ways for them to get their product to people who don't live within the signal of their towers and editing an interview to remove any offending highlights (if there were any) isn't exactly a high degree of technical difficutly in 2011...

Mad? For what? Why should I be mad?

Will M
02-01-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure what "trying to get Edmunds in for 2 weeks in camp" means. Is this to see if he has anything left? Or is it that he has retired & the team wants him to help some of the Reds outfielders (say Bruce & Stubbs)?

I have been thinking about the Reds bench problem. A bench of Gomes/Lewis, Heisey, Janish/Renteria, Cairo & Hanigan/Hernandez gives us no left handed bats when a righty starts & only one (Lewis) when a lefty starts. Yet replacing Heisey with Hermida (or some other left handed batter) gives us problems when Stubbs or Bruce need a day off. Lewis, Gomes, Hermida, etc aren't known for their defense. Stay with me now...replacing Heisey with Edmonds gives the team that extra left handed bat and he can also play defense in cenetr field or right field.

camisadelgolf
02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure what "trying to get Edmunds in for 2 weeks in camp" means. Is this to see if he has anything left? Or is it that he has retired & the team wants him to help some of the Reds outfielders (say Bruce & Stubbs)?
I took it as more of the latter, like when they brought in Tony Phillips.

reds44
02-02-2011, 02:40 AM
For the record, Phillips mentioned on twitter he would love to move to SS.

redsfandan
02-02-2011, 03:00 AM
I think I'll send him another email just to ask about posting only the audio online so there's no $ issues.

Just a followup:

I apologize in advance for pushing this.

But, what about the possibility of posting only the audio of shows/interviews online? I think there are alot of Reds fans that would go to the WCPO website if they could hear questions posed to Walt, Bob Castellini, Dusty, or anyone from the Reds and how they respond. Especially with the current (positive) state of the team.

I'll try to get that done, but I have little clout with the website. If you want a dvd of the show, just send me your address and I'll mail one out.

popo

Ron Madden
02-02-2011, 03:08 AM
Just a followup:

Thanks for sharing this Dan. John Popovich seems like a great guy.

redsfandan
02-02-2011, 03:17 AM
Thanks for sharing this Dan. John Popovich seems like a great guy.

Yeah he does. But, I also wonder how much thought, if any, has been put into doing something along those lines on the site by the people that do have the clout.

icehole3
02-02-2011, 04:40 AM
I am in the process of getting some of this on youtube, as far as Edmunds, he was just coming in to work with Bruce and Stubbs, Bruce has been in contact all winter with Edmunds

Edd Roush
02-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I have been thinking about the Reds bench problem. A bench of Gomes/Lewis, Heisey, Janish/Renteria, Cairo & Hanigan/Hernandez gives us no left handed bats when a righty starts & only one (Lewis) when a lefty starts. Yet replacing Heisey with Hermida (or some other left handed batter) gives us problems when Stubbs or Bruce need a day off. Lewis, Gomes, Hermida, etc aren't known for their defense. Stay with me now...replacing Heisey with Edmonds gives the team that extra left handed bat and he can also play defense in cenetr field or right field.

I do not believe that in this point in his career Edmonds could play defenese as well as Hermida and if Edmonds were to come back, I would not like to see him anywhere except a corner outfield spot or first base. This is my opinion, solely based upon watching him play in the 13 games he played for the Reds last year, which is a very small sample size.

Jpup
02-02-2011, 10:24 AM
For the record, Phillips mentioned on twitter he would love to move to SS.

I sure hope the Reds don't do that. He can play short for someone else. His value is greater to the team at 2nd base. I'm not sure he could touch Janish's D at short.

icehole3
02-02-2011, 07:11 PM
was able to get the first 15 minutes of the show, working on the second 15 minutes

Walt with Popo SOASpt1

YouTube - Walt with Popo SOASpt1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POssbEqC1Fg)

icehole3
02-02-2011, 07:14 PM
here's part 2

edit: it maybe generating still at youtube, I'll post the link tommorow

mth123
02-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for posting Icehole.:thumbup:

icehole3
02-03-2011, 06:35 AM
here is part 2 and 3, had to cut up part 2 because youtube wouldnt allow mlb content in the video

YouTube - Walt with Popo SOASpt2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX-8pJdki5k)

YouTube - Walt with Popo SOASpt3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyOzaE16YpM)

The Voice of IH
02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
thanks ICEHOLE

RedRoser
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Just watched all three parts---A big thank you, icehole. :D

---'Roser

REDREAD
02-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks Icehole, I am going to watch these at home tonight.
You truly went above and beyond here.. I appreciated the summary you gave in post #1 too.

OnBaseMachine
02-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks icehole. I enjoyed watching that.

redhawkfish
02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks icehole3! I enjoyed watching it.

Mario-Rijo
02-03-2011, 04:41 PM
If I could Rep ya I would, in a good way of course, thanks for sharing Ice...

Couple of thoughts:

#1 His comments on Chapman being in the pen for '11 and his future beyond that has yet to be determined. I loved hearing that, it certainly makes alot of sense!

#2 His comments about Coco coming into this season in better shape is also good to hear, certainly couldn't hurt Coco to be a bit trimmer (at least I hope it wouldn't anyway).

#3 About Cueto being trimmer and in better shape was also good to hear, I think that was something that needed addressed. Far be it for me ot be critical of someone else's weight but I thought Cueto was a few pounds too heavy last year.

#4 I have only see Popovich a few times now but I like his style and I like how he asks relevant questions, things we fans really want to know about.

icehole3
02-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Popo is an old school reporter

mdccclxix
02-03-2011, 06:58 PM
I was intrigued that he "fought" for Bailey and really likes him. Also that Bailey has a good relationship with Dusty and Price. That's really good to hear.

JaxRed
02-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Ice, let me tell you how much this is appreciated for us out-of-towners. Thanks